Hello afternoon, I start my PCV training on 18th September with Stagecoach. Anything anyone would recommend keeping

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Dello-pard

Hello afternoon, I start my PCV training on 18th September with Stagecoach. Anything anyone would recommend keeping

Post by Dello-pard »

Hello afternoon,
I start my PCV training on 18th September with Stagecoach.
Anything anyone would recommend keeping in mind?
808-geznoss

Re: Hello afternoon, I start my PCV training on 18th September with Stagecoach. Anything anyone would recommend keeping

Post by 808-geznoss »

Absorb as much as you can and take your time whilst driving. Good luck
ANGEOLIS

Re: Hello afternoon, I start my PCV training on 18th September with Stagecoach. Anything anyone would recommend keeping

Post by ANGEOLIS »

Don’t let anyone rush you ever!
pattCOpsa

Post by pattCOpsa »

Buses are weird things to drive because they have an overhang at both the front and rear.
pattCOpsa

Post by pattCOpsa »

You really need to watch the tail swing and remember you are long in length as well.
LloyMenson

Post by LloyMenson »

pattCOpsa wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:27 pm You really need to watch the tail swing and remember you are long in length as well.
Yeah. Don't scrape along a Mercedes with your tail swing in your first month like I did
Geer.cospar

Post by Geer.cospar »

They teach you how to pass you won't learn anything else until your out on your own and then everything they told you is out the window 😆
Geer.cospar

Post by Geer.cospar »

But when you pass remember your paid by the hour so don't rush and if your late for a break that's the controllers problem not yours so again don't rush and just book all late running 👍
809.henjakonnx

Post by 809.henjakonnx »

Need a degree to work those ticket machines and the 50 different ticket types
Dello-pard

Post by Dello-pard »

809.henjakonnx wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:38 pm Need a degree to work those ticket machines and the 50 different ticket types
Yeah not looking forward to that…
MOSEIZER

Post by MOSEIZER »

Dont let anything or anyone wind you up, its all just water off a ducks back, be as friendly to passengers as possible, they respond better.
MOSEIZER

Post by MOSEIZER »

Driving is the easy part, passengers and other road users are the issue.
robeyTRIX

Post by robeyTRIX »

MOSEIZER wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:41 pm Dont let anything or anyone wind you up, its all just water off a ducks back, be as friendly to passengers as possible, they respond better.
what this guy said can't go wrong with that
CalluDDian

Post by CalluDDian »

MOSEIZER wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:41 pm Driving is the easy part, passengers and other road users are the issue.
personally I consider driving to be the entirety of my job. I don’t pay any attention to the punters 🤣
MOSEIZER

Post by MOSEIZER »

CalluDDian wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:46 pm
MOSEIZER wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:41 pm Driving is the easy part, passengers and other road users are the issue.
personally I consider driving to be the entirety of my job. I don’t pay any attention to the punters 🤣
London driver? 🤣
MOSEIZER

Post by MOSEIZER »

it only comes back to bite you. If you dont like punters, be a truck driver, except not sure what you'd do with the extra money!
CalluDDian

Post by CalluDDian »

MOSEIZER wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:46 pm
London driver? 🤣
nah, I’m not a London driver mate. It’s also not that I don’t like the punters either tbh, I just don’t pay them any attention 🤷‍♂️
CalluDDian

Post by CalluDDian »

it only comes back to bite you. If you dont like punters, be a truck driver, except not sure what you'd do with the extra money!
The ones who say hello get a “alright?!” In response. The ones who say thank you get “you’re welcome” but that’s not very many these days sadly. Funny enough not paying attention to them means the ones that walk straight on without paying get a free ride, and the ones who want to take their frustrations out on me don’t get the response they’re hoping for.
CalluDDian

Post by CalluDDian »

I hear colleagues bitching and moaning about punters every day but that’s just because they let the punters get under their skin. I don’t 🤷‍♂️
ballog5te

Post by ballog5te »

just don't trust the bus driving world.
ballog5te

Post by ballog5te »

If you think a gaps to small it probably is so stop 🛑
Toph_myne

Post by Toph_myne »

Forget everything you know about driving, you're starting afresh.
810_marchy

Post by 810_marchy »

Never chase a timetable
If you’re late then you’re late
MOSEIZER

Post by MOSEIZER »

810_marchy wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:57 pm Never chase a timetable
can tell you worked for Arriva Leicester!
810_marchy

Post by 810_marchy »

MOSEIZER wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:58 pm
back in the days when you could miss a trip and no one would know
MOSEIZER

Post by MOSEIZER »

810_marchy wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:58 pm
yep, no such things as trackers and real time. But also unachievable timetables
MOSEIZER

Post by MOSEIZER »

I think timetables have gone the other way, sure i could do the 29 ontime in reverse gear
810_marchy

Post by 810_marchy »

MOSEIZER wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:59 pm

I think timetables have gone the other way, sure i could do the 29 ontime in reverse gear
was great to have ten minutes at a terminus for a fag
pattCOpsa

Post by pattCOpsa »

When learning, remember small steering inputs for the reversing part. When driving, smaller the gap the slower your speed should be.
pattCOpsa

Post by pattCOpsa »

Carry wet wipes, great for refreshing your hands and face especially when warm. Wash hands before you touch your food as coins make your hands very dirty. Enjoy your training and try to get onto coaches ASAP, much better to drive and better passengers.
ANGEOLIS

Post by ANGEOLIS »

Never let passengers piss you off, you don't get paid enough to fight with fare evaders
Dello-pard

Post by Dello-pard »

ANGEOLIS wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:02 pm Never let passengers piss you off, you don't get paid enough to fight with fare evaders
This I agree with based on previous experience too.
Cleffo.megs

Post by Cleffo.megs »

Apart from have nothing to do with stagecoach then this is all good advice
dy+lands

Post by dy+lands »

It's not to late to change your mind!
Dello-pard

Post by Dello-pard »

dy+lands wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:04 pm It's not to late to change your mind!
It’s always been a life goal for me, hopefully I don’t regret it 🤣
CalluDDian

Post by CalluDDian »

Dello-pard wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:08 pm
you can drive a bus anywhere… It doesn’t have to be with slavecoach……
Dello-pard

Post by Dello-pard »

CalluDDian wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:08 pm
I know but I’m limited where I live tbf.
Dello-pard

Post by Dello-pard »

I don’t have the money to pay for my training privately.
CalluDDian

Post by CalluDDian »

Dello-pard wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:09 pm

where do you live bud?
CalluDDian

Post by CalluDDian »

I mean you can always do your training with slavecoach and then move elsewhere once your clear of any contractual obligations tied to your training?
Dello-pard

Post by Dello-pard »

CalluDDian wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:10 pm

where do you live bud?
Hibaldstow, near Brigg.
Dello-pard

Post by Dello-pard »

I mean you can always do your training with slavecoach and then move elsewhere once your clear of any contractual obligations tied to your training?
My options are:
Stagecoach Scunthorpe
Stagecoach Lincoln
Stagecoach Hull
Stagecoach Grimsby
East Yorkshire
Hornsby’s.
Dello-pard

Post by Dello-pard »

EY is a no for me as I don’t fancy driving in Hull and Hornsby is only a small local company without the means to get people thru their PCV.
CalluDDian

Post by CalluDDian »

Dello-pard wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:11 pm

My options are:
Stagecoach Scunthorpe
Stagecoach Lincoln
Stagecoach Hull
Stagecoach Grimsby
East Yorkshire
Hornsby’s.
I can assure you that EY is the ONLY one on that list that I would consider lol.
CalluDDian

Post by CalluDDian »

EY is a no for me as I don’t fancy driving in Hull and Hornsby is only a small local company without the means to get people thru their PCV.
Go-Ahead firms generally tend to have pretty favorable terms & Conditions. If your only reason is that you don’t fancy driving in hull I would urge you to reconsider. A bus is a bus is a bus.
CalluDDian

Post by CalluDDian »

Once you learn how to drive one the ‘where’ really doesn’t matter as it’s the same wherever you go. The ‘who for’ is the difference between sticking it out or quitting within a year.
ballog5te

Post by ballog5te »

and remember the gross methods stagecoach used to build themselves up.. I would like to use the term build their business but they are not worthy of such terminology..
robeyTRIX

Post by robeyTRIX »

As a retired bus driver in the industry for 47 years, 21 of them at Stagecoach, the last 14 years as a PCV driving instructor/ training officer I would give you this advice. Bus driving is not for everyone. It is long hours, early starts, late finishes and weekends. You will be working when your friends and family are on holiday or attending events and you will have to cover the duties and shifts you are allocated.
robeyTRIX

Post by robeyTRIX »

While training… Listen To Your Instructor… they will do as much as they can to get you ready for your test but only you can do the drive. The examiner wants to give you the Pass Certificate but you need to show him/her that you have the ability to drive a bus safely. He /she doesn’t expect a Perfect Drive only a driver that is comfortable and confident. Just go out and enjoy it.
When in post test training… Listen to your PTT and mentors…
robeyTRIX

Post by robeyTRIX »

They know what they’re doing and they too are there for you even after you are released to the depot.
Good luck and remember there is always someone there if you need advice.
Dello-pard

Post by Dello-pard »

robeyTRIX wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:15 pm They know what they’re doing and they too are there for you even after you are released to the depot.
Thanks for the kind words and advice robey, I think bus driving is definitely something I want to do as I’ve always wanted to behind the wheel.
robeyTRIX

Post by robeyTRIX »

Dello-pard wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:16 pm
robeyTRIX wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:15 pm They know what they’re doing and they too are there for you even after you are released to the depot.
Thanks for the kind words and advice robey, I think bus driving is definitely something I want to do as I’ve always wanted to behind the wheel.
what area/ depot are you doing your training?
Dello-pard

Post by Dello-pard »

robeyTRIX wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:16 pm
Stagecoach Lincoln for training then once qualified I’ll be working at Scunthorpe depot
robeyTRIX

Post by robeyTRIX »

robeyTRIX wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:16 pm

Stagecoach Lincoln for training then once qualified I’ll be working at Scunthorpe depot
Good Luck for the future and I hope you enjoy your training.
CalluDDian

Post by CalluDDian »

I would recommend that you keep in mind they have earned the industry nickname ‘Slavecoach’ for a reason. Consider getting the f**k out of there to another operator as soon as possible. 👍
Dello-pard

Post by Dello-pard »

ainsleon.798 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:19 pm you will smash it
Thanks
COLLENEX

Post by COLLENEX »

Yeah walk away from slavecoach they treat staff like sh*t
baillGTside

Post by baillGTside »

Take this opportunity to manage your money. Make a budget. Don’t binge eat. Make sure you exercise regularly as it’s a sedentary job.
baillGTside

Post by baillGTside »

Ideally you want to not have to do overtime. The majority of bus drivers live week to week. See if you can break that cycle.
Start a side a side hack instead of doing overtime.
DilweBaydo

Post by DilweBaydo »

When maneuvering, fast hands, slow bus.
lorid3ying

Post by lorid3ying »

I've been driving coming up 5 years. I only do it part time but I love it. I was out driving some oldies last night to some sort of ceilidh and they were good craic. I got a 40 quid tip at the end of the night which was really good of them.
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (129.09 KiB) Viewed 612 times
baillGTside

Post by baillGTside »

lorid3ying wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:22 pm I've been driving coming up 5 years. I only do it part time but I love it. I was out driving some oldies last night to some sort of ceilidh and they were good craic. I got a 40 quid tip at the end of the night which was really good of them.
why only part time ??
baillGTside

Post by baillGTside »

Rich-deluxe wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:23 pm Erm change company's 🤣🤣
All ‘big’ bus companies are roughly the same.
Rich-deluxe

Post by Rich-deluxe »

baillGTside wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:23 pm
Rich-deluxe wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:23 pm Erm change company's 🤣🤣
All ‘big’ bus companies are roughly the same.
tell me about it
RAVORAND

Post by RAVORAND »

Take your time and listen to your instructor
kevgoThere

Post by kevgoThere »

Take your time just go with the flow! Enjoy it mate!

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”