Good evening all, Were coach driver hourly rates better than they currently are?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
RicharKhord

Re: Good evening all, Were coach driver hourly rates better than they currently are?

Post by RicharKhord »

LOUIREBO wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:18 pm Nothing to do with wages have always been sh*t on the coaches and the expectation of the drivers is beyond belief so glad we are out of it.
Hgv is the way to go and far less pressure.
Still similar on HGV work unless your working through an agency about time HGV companies paid their F/T drivers a better wage instead of paying in excess of £30+ an hour to an agency so the agency driver can be offered between £15 & £20 an hour for ad hoc hours. Both industries need pay appropriate wages to reflect the responsibility required. And don't get me started on DVSA lol
AlhanceTP

Re: Good evening all, Were coach driver hourly rates better than they currently are?

Post by AlhanceTP »

drivers should charge the operators per job at least quarter of job price a job worth a 500 to a operator driver should get £125 he’s the donkey doing all the work does anyone agree worked for firm twenty years ago and it worked its down to operator to price job accordingly
NellFORB

Post by NellFORB »

The rates maybe the same but the 0 hrs contracts are a joke
tyron_1265

Post by tyron_1265 »

When I first started driving coaches 30 years ago I was earning £250 + a week take home so in real terms wages have over halfed
When I started it was pretty much a closed job, if you didn't have family in the company you wasn't getting a job, now any muppet can get a job
I won't get out of bed for less than 30k give me 35k I'll show some enthusiasm for the job,
At over 50 years old I'm considering going to hgv driving.. no money in coach or bus work anymore
Dyo-imaesc

Post by Dyo-imaesc »

tyron_1265 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:22 pm When I first started driving coaches 30 years ago I was earning £250 + a week take home so in real terms wages have over halfed
When I started it was pretty much a closed job, if you didn't have family in the company you wasn't getting a job, now any muppet can get a job
I won't get out of bed for less than 30k give me 35k I'll show some enthusiasm for the job,
At over 50 years old I'm considering going to hgv driving.. no money in coach or bus work anymore
it only takes a couple of weeks to get the licence - Cpc excepted. Not exactly a high barrier to entry.
Also back then coaches were mostly manual nowadays they are automatics.
tyron_1265

Post by tyron_1265 »

Dyo-imaesc wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:22 pm
tyron_1265 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:22 pm When I first started driving coaches 30 years ago I was earning £250 + a week take home so in real terms wages have over halfed
it only takes a couple of weeks to get the licence - Cpc excepted. Not exactly a high barrier to entry.
Also back then coaches were mostly manual nowadays they are automatics.
yea I used to drive a crash box AEC with no power steering, thought I was in heaven when I was given a manual ford with synchro and assisted steering
CLARKITON

Post by CLARKITON »

How about the operators, under normal conditions, pay their drivers 8 to 10 hrs a day for am/pm school run about 4 to 5 hrs work. We all agree the money should go up. But I would not want 25% of the £ for a school run.
kels9tque

Post by kels9tque »

60000 hgv drivers short putting wages up by 25%so y r coach driver not getting the same
Dyo-imaesc

Post by Dyo-imaesc »

kels9tque wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:23 pm 60000 hgv drivers short putting wages up by 25%so y r coach driver not getting the same
i reckon it’s only going to be temporary for them.
droin_1243

Post by droin_1243 »

kels9tque wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:23 pm 60000 hgv drivers short putting wages up by 25%so y r coach driver not getting the same
25% wage increase. Where and who are paying this amount?
brook9ep

Post by brook9ep »

Earn some and stop Moaning ✋
Merv.conex

Post by Merv.conex »

Ffs. Move on or keep moving.
AateiExec

Post by AateiExec »

Tips are irrelevant at the moment, there are very few tours on offer, PH’s offer little in the way of tips, so many operators are being forced to increase basic pay……recruitment is a major problem across both HGV and PCV industries.
Additionally, drivers of a certain age are seeing the attraction of being at home, and will be reluctant to go back to the old ways (such as myself!), thus exacerbating the problem.
newzNecro

Post by newzNecro »

Being a coach driver isn't about the money it's about the passion to provide a good service so if your looking for a highly paid job without much responsibility then college and university is the path you should follow
RicharKhord

Post by RicharKhord »

There's not really a massive shortage of coach drivers. There is however a HUGE shortage of truck drivers. I wonder which industry will increase their wages? 🤔
pottsGino

Post by pottsGino »

RicharKhord wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:28 pm There's not really a massive shortage of coach drivers. There is however a HUGE shortage of truck drivers. I wonder which industry will increase their wages? 🤔
really! I think you will find there’s a MASSIVE shortage of PCV drivers as loads were laid off on march and have gone off to do other stuff. Very few truck drivers were laid off.
pottsGino

Post by pottsGino »

No. Coach drivers have always been. Paid less than trucks. But coach drivers are lazy lorry drivers as the load walks on & off.
Gab_meesto

Post by Gab_meesto »

pottsGino wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:29 pm No. Coach drivers have always been. Paid less than trucks. But coach drivers are lazy lorry drivers as the load walks on & off.
I actually do agree with that. My old man was on lorries and coaches and he said it himself he worked harder on the lorries than he did on the coaches. Used to live his old Bedford tm.
pottsGino

Post by pottsGino »

The problem with the coach industry is there are companies that find it offensive to charge proper money. These are large national companies mainly but also some shall ones. Until companies charge proper money for coach hire then wages will stagnate. Everything has gone up. Fuel, lunch in the local cafe, groceries, holidays OMG 😱 mine went up £1k! Yes coach hire has gone down due to stupid people working for rates from 1998!!!!!
Gab_meesto

Post by Gab_meesto »

pottsGino wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:30 pm The problem with the coach industry is there are companies that find it offensive to charge proper money. These are large national companies mainly but also some shall ones. Until companies charge proper money for coach hire then wages will stagnate. Everything has gone up. Fuel, lunch in the local cafe, groceries, holidays OMG 😱 mine went up £1k! Yes coach hire has gone down due to stupid people working for rates from 1998!!!!!
coach companies especially the smaller firms need to come together and agree on appropriate rates. That probably won't happen and as a result coach firms will lose highly experienced drivers and will only be able to replace them poorly trained bus drivers.
Robhler.freex

Post by Robhler.freex »

pottsGino wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:30 pm The problem with the coach industry is there are companies that find it offensive to charge proper money. These are large national companies mainly but also some shall ones. Until companies charge proper money for coach hire then wages will stagnate. Everything has gone up. Fuel, lunch in the local cafe, groceries, holidays OMG 😱 mine went up £1k! Yes coach hire has gone down due to stupid people working for rates from 1998!!!!!
I agree to a certain extent but it’s all relative. A small company running older vehicles with no finance that are doing a school trip between school runs are going to be poles apart from someone with new vehicles quoting it as a standalone job.
pottsGino

Post by pottsGino »

Robhler.freex wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:31 pm
I agree to a certain extent but it’s all relative. A small company running older vehicles with no finance that are doing a school trip between school runs are going to be poles apart from someone with new vehicles quoting it as a standalone job.
no not really. The going rate is the going rate! Just because you have older motors why work cheaper? Just more profit until
It breaks.
pottsGino

Post by pottsGino »

and if it’s a between school it should be at a commercial rate. You CANNOT price jobs on one being subsidized by another!!!!! That’s where the Industry goes wrong. If jobs fit it’s your advantage not the customers. Profit seems to be a rude word!
Robhler.freex

Post by Robhler.freex »

pottsGino wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:32 pm
and if it’s a between school it should be at a commercial rate. You CANNOT price jobs on one being subsidized by another!!!!! That’s where the Industry goes wrong. If jobs fit it’s your advantage not the customers. Profit seems to be a rude word!
The going rate is what makes you a profit you’re happy with. A very low turnover of staff, a happy client base and a comfortable lifestyle is more than enough for me.
Robhler.freex

Post by Robhler.freex »

pottsGino wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:32 pm
we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Dole-coops

Post by Dole-coops »

pottsGino wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:31 pm
no not really. The going rate is the going rate! Just because you have older motors why work cheaper? Just more profit until
It breaks.
some companies work on the ‘contribution to costs’ theory, I thought it was a joke when I first had it explained to me. Every job has to stand alone.
pottsGino

Post by pottsGino »

Dole-coops wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:33 pm
pottsGino wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:31 pm

It breaks.
some companies work on the ‘contribution to costs’ theory, I thought it was a joke when I first had it explained to me. Every job has to stand alone.
yup. Exactly… It’s alright on a good day thinking “ oh I earnt £600” but next 3 you earn £200! Perhaps why we are still here and others not?
grebb.1214

Post by grebb.1214 »

If you’re in tourism to get rich, you’re in the wrong business. Driver rates can always be better, but this is very much up to people. Some operators offer more as they have better paying clients, who also demand a lot more. Other operators pay more because they demand more of their drivers. If you’re not happy with the rate of pay from a coach operator, you can always work to becoming an operator yourself. But there is no guide to getting rich quickly. You need to work hard for it.
pottsGino

Post by pottsGino »

grebb.1214 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:36 pm If you’re in tourism to get rich, you’re in the wrong business. Driver rates can always be better, but this is very much up to people. Some operators offer more as they have better paying clients, who also demand a lot more. Other operators pay more because they demand more of their drivers. If you’re not happy with the rate of pay from a coach operator, you can always work to becoming an operator yourself. But there is no guide to getting rich quickly. You need to work hard for it.
if your not an operator in the coach industry get rich then GET OUT! It’s a business not a hobby. The only point in running your own business is to earn more than you would driving for someone else. It’s a business to earn money!!!!
grebb.1214

Post by grebb.1214 »

pottsGino wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:36 pm
grebb.1214 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:36 pm If you’re in tourism to get rich, you’re in the wrong business. Driver rates can always be better, but this is very much up to people. Some operators offer more as they have better paying clients, who also demand a lot more. Other operators pay more because they demand more of their drivers. If you’re not happy with the rate of pay from a coach operator, you can always work to becoming an operator yourself. But there is no guide to getting rich quickly. You need to work hard for it.
if your not an operator in the coach industry get rich then GET OUT! It’s a business not a hobby. The only point in running your own business is to earn more than you would driving for someone else. It’s a business to earn money!!!!
oh yes but people seem to think that once you’re an operator you’ll have a new Ferrari every year which is not the case. Especially starting out as an operator you need to make sure to build up reserves as well. Just like in farming for example. Yes you’d have millions in the bank but you do need to have money to buy new equipment, new coaches and so on. Some operators get stuck in the vicious spiral of being stuck with older coaches or less luxurious coaches and then het contracts with much smaller margins, making it even less likely they will be buying new coaches. The rates that some tour operators offer coach operators are so tight that they don’t have much wiggle room.
pottsGino

Post by pottsGino »

grebb.1214 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:37 pm
oh yes but people seem to think that once you’re an operator you’ll have a new Ferrari every year which is not the case. Especially starting out as an operator you need to make sure to build up reserves as well. Just like in farming for example. Yes you’d have millions in the bank but you do need to have money to buy new equipment, new coaches and so on. Some operators get stuck in the vicious spiral of being stuck with older coaches or less luxurious coaches and then het contracts with much smaller margins, making it even less likely they will be buying new coaches. The rates that some tour operators offer coach operators are so tight that they don’t have much wiggle room.
if the rates are low then don’t take the job!
grebb.1214

Post by grebb.1214 »

pottsGino wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:37 pm

I agree. But not all coach operators follow that line.
pottsGino

Post by pottsGino »

grebb.1214 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:38 pm
pottsGino wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:37 pm

I agree. But not all coach operators follow that line.
they are not businessmen / women then.
GarcorpThin

Post by GarcorpThin »

My advice? If you’ve got your category c or C&E, utilize it and get out and away from coaches! 😆
Chros-pager

Post by Chros-pager »

GarcorpThin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:38 pm My advice? If you’ve got your category c or C&E, utilize it and get out and away from coaches! 😆
bad for your health job lazy as it is.
GarcorpThin

Post by GarcorpThin »

Chros-pager wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:40 pm
GarcorpThin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:38 pm My advice? If you’ve got your category c or C&E, utilize it and get out and away from coaches! 😆
I moved on from the coach industry almost 3 years ago onto haulage for 2 main reasons-Health and Wealth!
Chros-pager

Post by Chros-pager »

GarcorpThin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:40 pm
I moved on from the coach industry almost 3 years ago onto haulage for 2 main reasons-Health and Wealth!
i ment bad health and unfit in hgv
GarcorpThin

Post by GarcorpThin »

Chros-pager wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:41 pm

I suppose there’s an argument for both! 🤔
Chros-pager

Post by Chros-pager »

GarcorpThin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:41 pm
Chros-pager wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:41 pm

I suppose there’s an argument for both! 🤔
hgv, bad road rep and lower category/class.
SHERIDGE

Post by SHERIDGE »

It's the same when you have tour directors on the coach, they sit and spout, the driver cleans the coach, fuels it and loads the coach with passengers luggage. The guide, for arguments sake get 80% tip and driver gets 20% money always goes to money where as the worker gets sod all, let's also remember "the drivers are the company and NOT the directors/owners!!!!!!!
grebb.1214

Post by grebb.1214 »

SHERIDGE wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:42 pm It's the same when you have tour directors on the coach, they sit and spout, the driver cleans the coach, fuels it and loads the coach with passengers luggage. The guide, for arguments sake get 80% tip and driver gets 20% money always goes to money where as the worker gets sod all, let's also remember "the drivers are the company and NOT the directors/owners!!!!!!!
in all my years as I guide I can safely say I never took 80% of the tip. I even make sure to check with the driver that we are getting the same tip. And I do share it equally if it’s not done by the clients. I also offer each evening to help cleaning the coach and often do. A guide and driver should work together, not against each other
SHERIDGE

Post by SHERIDGE »

grebb.1214 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:42 pm
SHERIDGE wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:42 pm It's the same when you have tour directors on the coach, they sit and spout, the driver cleans the coach, fuels it and loads the coach with passengers luggage. The guide, for arguments sake get 80% tip and driver gets 20% money always goes to money where as the worker gets sod all, let's also remember "the drivers are the company and NOT the directors/owners!!!!!!!
in all my years as I guide I can safely say I never took 80% of the tip. I even make sure to check with the driver that we are getting the same tip. And I do share it equally if it’s not done by the clients. I also offer each evening to help cleaning the coach and often do. A guide and driver should work together, not against each other
this is with the likes of 2 major companies who tour the UK with Americans Australians etc
grebb.1214

Post by grebb.1214 »

SHERIDGE wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:43 pm
this is with the likes of 2 major companies who tour the UK with Americans Australians etc
I still wouldn’t accept that personally. I have worked for tour companies who even mention the tips expected for guides and drivers in their documentation to guests, but I always make sure to tell the guests that the driver and he guide get the same amount. I would not accept a bigger tip than the driver.
SHERIDGE

Post by SHERIDGE »

grebb.1214 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:43 pm

I still wouldn’t accept that personally. I have worked for tour companies who even mention the tips expected for guides and drivers in their documentation to guests, but I always make sure to tell the guests that the driver and he guide get the same amount. I would not accept a bigger tip than the driver.
they have no scruples, money to money 🤔
grebb.1214

Post by grebb.1214 »

grebb.1214 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:43 pm

they have no scruples, money to money 🤔
that’s not how it should be at all

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”