My owner-driver has recently had an endorsement on his driving licence (IN10 - 6 points) for a car-related offence

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
fv80

My owner-driver has recently had an endorsement on his driving licence (IN10 - 6 points) for a car-related offence

Post by fv80 »

My owner-driver has recently had an endorsement on his driving licence (IN10 - 6 points) for a car-related offence before he applied for his HGV O licence. I’ve advised him this is now declarable to the office of the traffic commissioner but does anyone know if this will affect his good repute and consequently his O licence?
incredibleasia

Re: My owner-driver has recently had an endorsement on his driving licence (IN10 - 6 points) for a car-related offence

Post by incredibleasia »

If he’s honest and declares it, may get called in front of the TC for a talking to
Kerrith

Re: My owner-driver has recently had an endorsement on his driving licence (IN10 - 6 points) for a car-related offence

Post by Kerrith »

Declare it he will be absolutely fine we are all only human and the TC does know this
mradamski80

Post by mradamski80 »

If he notifies the TC he may be asked for an explanation. However, if he does not, and it later comes to light with the TC, their repute will be at stake.
Elias

Post by Elias »

Honesty goes a long way. Be upfront and nothing will bite you in the arse in future.
Rubiyooo

Post by Rubiyooo »

If it was a genuine, “I thought I was covered on third party” then they should be ok. The tc will see the police report mind.
Jphammer

Post by Jphammer »

Yes he will need to declare it, not declaring is easily the easiest way to loose good repute as they can’t trust him. I think it will depend on how he came to be driving without insurance. Was it someone else’s vehicle and he thought he had third party cover, was it expired, had he just purchased the vehicle. I would say if allowed an O license then you will need to have rigorous monitoring of vehicle documents, to show they won’t make the mistake again.
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

Rubiyooo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:10 am If it was a genuine, “I thought I was covered on third party” then they should be ok. The tc will see the police report mind.
TC won't see a police report. The matter has been dealt with by the courts so all filed away, no need and no real means for the original info to be released anyway.
monarch41

Post by monarch41 »

Yes declare it - An operator must declare any convictions. Depending on the level of fine/punishment this itself wouldn't necessarily lead to a loss of good repute but applying the same logic when testing good repute then this applies applies to any 'relevant' conviction. The guidance is not clear on the exact meaning of relevant, that is normally left to the TC to decide, but to my mind not having insurance on a car is relevant. Even if it was an honest mistake the question has to be asked if the applicant (operator) is capable of such disregard for the basics of road transport law then how would they conduct themselves as an operator. A proper explanation should satisfy the TC (as with all convictions).

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”