Detecting tachograph violations is getting easier

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
paunium

Post by paunium »

We are trailing remote tachograph sensing equipment in Britain, to make it easier to detect drivers and operators who are breaking drivers’ hours rules.
While we know most operators follow drivers’ hours rules, we are still finding offences at the roadside. Breaking drivers’ hours rules has the potential to be dangerous to road users.
We are exploring this technology to help keep Britain’s roads safe. It will mean we can identify many kinds of tachograph violations when travelling alongside vehicles, or from the roadside.
If you are a driver, make sure you:
understand your responsibilities as a driver
check your tachograph is working properly before you set off
take adequate rest
correctly record your driving time and rest on your tachograph
If you are a HGV, PSV or LGV operator who has to follow drivers’ hours rules, make sure you:
understand your responsibilities as an operator
maintain tachograph equipment
know how to adequately schedule driver’s activities
regularly check your driver's compliance
listen and respond to any drivers’ hours concerns raised by your drivers
If you commit a tachograph violation, it’s now easier for us to find you!
iainje

Re: Detecting tachograph violations is getting easier

Post by iainje »

Operators who play by the book have nothing to fear, they will be left alone to get on with their business and DVSA can concentrate on pulling those who don’t play by the book!
batest

Post by batest »

Propaganda, scaremongering. With the latest tacho heads, they can do this already but can’t do anything unless they stop the driver.
paunium

Post by paunium »

batest wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:27 pm Propaganda, scaremongering. With the latest tacho heads, they can do this already but can’t do anything unless they stop the driver.
if they are roadside or driving alongside them it won’t take much to make a stop
Tahard

Post by Tahard »

As it's still EC regulation it would be interesting to know how other countries working under it interpret and enforce the rules? Initially the DVSA intimated they would use a pragmatic approach. Is this still the case?
batest

Post by batest »

Tahard wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:28 pm As it's still EC regulation it would be interesting to know how other countries working under it interpret and enforce the rules? Initially the DVSA intimated they would use a pragmatic approach. Is this still the case?
No idea but when do DVSA do anything pragmatic?
Hartcu

Post by Hartcu »

When are they going to produce a digital recorder that is more fit to purpose. These are not. Expecting someone to update 3 weeks worth of other work/holidays etc when they jump into a cab to drive for 2 hours.
paunium

Post by paunium »

Hartcu wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:31 pm When are they going to produce a digital recorder that is more fit to purpose. These are not. Expecting someone to update 3 weeks worth of other work/holidays etc when they jump into a cab to drive for 2 hours.
it doesn’t have to be inputted on the tacho unit.
millen

Post by millen »

Hmmm it has always been a feature of the 'smart tachograph' its called DSRC dedicated short range communication. The clue is in the name 'short range' and because it utilises radio signals I'd suggest it needs to be line of sight and stable. It will only allow the enforcement officer to see a 'snapshot' of the device such as card status and current driving time. Its most certainly not remote enforcement. In 2020 the DVSA were adamant that there were no plans to introduce this in the UK, no officer had been trained and no equipment purchased (reading between the lines I think that they couldn't afford it).
So this 'article' currently doing the rounds on social media is either fake (it's on Facebook so must be true 😂) or the DVSA have utilised the government's 'nudge' unit, the same unit that 'persuaded' us to do a whole manner of things to comply during Covid.
I'd usually support fully anything that encourages us to be safer on the roads but the use of half truths, innuendo and exaggeration, while acceptable for selling double glazing or snake oil is not something government's should not be doing.
Has anyone got a link to this article.....I can't find it on the .gov site.
paunium

Post by paunium »

millen wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:32 pm Hmmm it has always been a feature of the 'smart tachograph' its called DSRC dedicated short range communication. The clue is in the name 'short range' and because it utilises radio signals I'd suggest it needs to be line of sight and stable. It will only allow the enforcement officer to see a 'snapshot' of the device such as card status and current driving time. Its most certainly not remote enforcement. In 2020 the DVSA were adamant that there were no plans to introduce this in the UK, no officer had been trained and no equipment purchased (reading between the lines I think that they couldn't afford it).
So this 'article' currently doing the rounds on social media is either fake (it's on Facebook so must be true 😂) or the DVSA have utilised the government's 'nudge' unit, the same unit that 'persuaded' us to do a whole manner of things to comply during Covid.
I'd usually support fully anything that encourages us to be safer on the roads but the use of half truths, innuendo and exaggeration, while acceptable for selling double glazing or snake oil is not something government's should not be doing.
if you were signed up for update emails you would have received it like I did 🤷‍♂️
millen

Post by millen »

paunium wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:32 pm
millen wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:32 pm Hmmm it has always been a feature of the 'smart tachograph' its called DSRC dedicated short range communication. The clue is in the name 'short range' and because it utilises radio signals I'd suggest it needs to be line of sight and stable. It will only allow the enforcement officer to see a 'snapshot' of the device such as card status and current driving time. Its most certainly not remote enforcement. In 2020 the DVSA were adamant that there were no plans to introduce this in the UK, no officer had been trained and no equipment purchased (reading between the lines I think that they couldn't afford it).
if you were signed up for update emails you would have received it like I did 🤷‍♂️
I am and I didn't.
millen

Post by millen »

OK someone has forwarded it to me. For some reason I didn't get the e-mail.
Firstly let's be clear I'm 100% behind people being safe and the magnificent work of the DVSA in enforcing the laws that are designed at keeping people safe.....
....but for the government the message and language used is vital if the government is to remain trusted and I personally believe that this communication hasn't achieved that level.
80% of people reading that message will automatically assume that a) this means the DVSA can download a tachograph and remotely enforce b) this is something new which it isn't, it's been around since 2019. I've seen posts on SM already with the Chinese whispers even suggesting one driver could see his tacho downloading as a DVSA car pulled alongside on a motorway.
This kind of message devalues the main message because it builds an even bigger gap between operators/drivers and the DVSA. DSRC cannot remotely download data on a tachograph and this needs to made absolutely clear.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”