Strange question but seems to be the place to ask the question. One of my drivers was spot checked before departing

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
varneon_UR

Strange question but seems to be the place to ask the question. One of my drivers was spot checked before departing

Post by varneon_UR »

Strange question but seems to be the place to ask the question.
One of my drivers was spot checked before departing the depot. Our H+S manager checked the drivers walk around check sheet and then conducted his own check.
1 difference was that there were 4 wheel nut markers missing from the N/S/F on the tractor unit. Upon inspection the wheel nuts themselves there was no sign of movement or loosening etc. so the driver was told to carry on with his daily tasks.
New wheel nut markers were the, ordered for replacement for the same day that afternoon when the driver was to return and were refitted and retorqued by tructyre.
The driver in question was then the next day taken off his duties to be reassessed on walk around checks and re-educated where applicable.
Can I ask if there is anything else that you think could of been done in this scenario other than replacing the driver that morning which unfortunately wasn’t an option at the time.
No bad answers here, I just want to know peoples thoughts
Thank you 👍
FerguMint

Re: Strange question but seems to be the place to ask the question. One of my drivers was spot checked before departing

Post by FerguMint »

Why had the driver not bought the missing indicators to the responsible persons attention? Quite right to reassess and make it policy and procedure to make these checks and report. If they are fitted and missing it is a defect!
varneon_UR

Re: Strange question but seems to be the place to ask the question. One of my drivers was spot checked before departing

Post by varneon_UR »

FerguMint wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:01 pm Why had the driver not bought the missing indicators to the responsible persons attention? Quite right to reassess and make it policy and procedure to make these checks and report. If they are fitted and missing it is a defect!
the driver stated he had overlooked this and this was his 1st offence so retraining provided
VicomnettAsp

Post by VicomnettAsp »

What system is used for Checks - paper or digital. If digital would it not have come up as a defect on submission (if reported as such), if paper should have been personally notified (decision may have been made that he was to drive on)
varneon_UR

Post by varneon_UR »

VicomnettAsp wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:02 pm What system is used for Checks - paper or digital. If digital would it not have come up as a defect on submission (if reported as such), if paper should have been personally notified (decision may have been made that he was to drive on)
paper
craigRANTT

Post by craigRANTT »

I don’t think replacing driving should be an option at all. As we can see for sure driver has not done checks properly so depends on the company policy either verbal warning or any written warning and re-training and sign the documents to cover your back and make sure do a random search him again in future and needs to documented so as company has follow everything in right way if in case something happen. If driver still not doing checks then it’s again company policy to keep him or other actions. Hope this helps
varneon_UR

Post by varneon_UR »

craigRANTT wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:02 pm I don’t think replacing driving should be an option at all. As we can see for sure driver has not done checks properly so depends on the company policy either verbal warning or any written warning and re-training and sign the documents to cover your back and make sure do a random search him again in future and needs to documented so as company has follow everything in right way if in case something happen. If driver still not doing checks then it’s again company policy to keep him or other actions. Hope this helps
the driver wasn’t fired I meant replace with another driver to take the load onwards.
robbHoop10

Post by robbHoop10 »

varneon_UR wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:03 pm
craigRANTT wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:02 pm I don’t think replacing driving should be an option at all. As we can see for sure driver has not done checks properly so depends on the company policy either verbal warning or any written warning and re-training and sign the documents to cover your back and make sure do a random search him again in future and needs to documented so as company has follow everything in right way if in case something happen. If driver still not doing checks then it’s again company policy to keep him or other actions. Hope this helps
the driver wasn’t fired I meant replace with another driver to take the load onwards.
why would you even want to give it to another driver. You should have had the wheel nuts checked before going out and informed the driver the seriousness of this issue, let him do his days work then booked in for retraining if this is your policy. This could have been a genuine mistake but if it keeps happening them there is something wrong. He's a driver not a trained mechanic.
varneon_UR

Post by varneon_UR »

robbHoop10 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:03 pm
why would you even want to give it to another driver. You should have had the wheel nuts checked before going out and informed the driver the seriousness of this issue, let him do his days work then booked in for retraining if this is your policy. This could have been a genuine mistake but if it keeps happening them there is something wrong. He's a driver not a trained mechanic.
that is what we did as there was no sign of movement on the nut itself and the markers were replaced that afternoon
craigRANTT

Post by craigRANTT »

yes I didn’t mean fired but no need to replace either it is a mistake or conduct. Doesn’t mean he is not good enough to drive safely
robbHoop10

Post by robbHoop10 »

craigRANTT wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:05 pm
yes I didn’t mean fired but no need to replace either it is a mistake or conduct. Doesn’t mean he is not good enough to drive safely
I don't agree with written or verbal warning if this is a first time. Train up where needed and if happen again then take that route.
IEUANCYPR

Post by IEUANCYPR »

Big question why did you get Truck tyre out to do a retorque for a couple of missing wheel nut indicators? On the tankers I run they are a consumable item. It sounds like making a mountain out of a mole hill.
AndreNight

Post by AndreNight »

This is a Positive post :
The fact that there were no spare wheel nut markers available & then the driver was sent on his way, without the wheel nuts being re-tourqed immediately, says more about your H&S managers protocols than anything.
Maybe Trucktyre should have attended immediately & the driver reassessed & educated, warned, accordingly, whilst the problem was rectified, before either the vehicle or driver continues the daily duties.
Proactive not Reactive safety management would be the way forward.
All the best.
10micheridd

Post by 10micheridd »

Surely it depends on company policy as to whether it's on your walk around check. Missing wheel nut indicators are not a defect so as long as the wheel nuts are tight and torqued - the vehicle is roadworthy and DVSA could not even advise missing wheel nut indicators at the roadside on paper (they could tell the driver that's about it)
Our drivers have tapping hammers and training on how to use them- I've found plenty of wheel nut washers that were loose and therefore the nut is not clamping- however the wheel nut indicators were pointing in the correct direction so from a visual check they appear to be fine
varneon_UR

Post by varneon_UR »

10micheridd wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:07 pm Surely it depends on company policy as to whether it's on your walk around check. Missing wheel nut indicators are not a defect so as long as the wheel nuts are tight and torqued - the vehicle is roadworthy and DVSA could not even advise missing wheel nut indicators at the roadside on paper (they could tell the driver that's about it)
Our drivers have tapping hammers and training on how to use them- I've found plenty of wheel nut washers that were loose and therefore the nut is not clamping- however the wheel nut indicators were pointing in the correct direction so from a visual check they appear to be fine
thank you this is the advise I was looking for. So ultimately the vehicle was still in a roadworthy condition without the x4 wheel but markers and no a defect in the dvsa’s eyes?
10micheridd

Post by 10micheridd »

varneon_UR wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:08 pm
10micheridd wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:07 pm Surely it depends on company policy as to whether it's on your walk around check. Missing wheel nut indicators are not a defect so as long as the wheel nuts are tight and torqued - the vehicle is roadworthy and DVSA could not even advise missing wheel nut indicators at the roadside on paper (they could tell the driver that's about it)
thank you this is the advise I was looking for. So ultimately the vehicle was still in a roadworthy condition without the x4 wheel but markers and no a defect in the dvsa’s eyes?
always best to refer to the heavy goods vehicle inspection manual, we often print parts off to show drivers or have 'friday afternoon toolbox talks' If we have had an issue that week with. The inspection manual is literally DVSA's bible and if they are not 100% sure on something they will always refer to it themselves
No mention of wheel nut markers at all in the manual (with regards to wheel security)
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (175.42 KiB) Viewed 583 times
10micheridd

Post by 10micheridd »

Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (243.16 KiB) Viewed 582 times
varneon_UR

Post by varneon_UR »

10micheridd wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:09 pm
always best to refer to the heavy goods vehicle inspection manual, we often print parts off to show drivers or have 'friday afternoon toolbox talks' If we have had an issue that week with. The inspection manual is literally DVSA's bible and if they are not 100% sure on something they will always refer to it themselves
No mention of wheel nut markers at all in the manual (with regards to wheel security)
thank you your help is very much appreciated 👍
10micheridd

Post by 10micheridd »

varneon_UR wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:10 pm
10micheridd wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:09 pm

thank you your help is very much appreciated 👍
no problem👍
mattzPost

Post by mattzPost »

Which is exactly why I say that “wheel nut indicators are no guarantee” that wheel nuts are tight, nothing beats a proper “wheel maintenance system” !
I would be interested to know who it was that “ advised the driver to continue with his work” and if anyone took the opportunity to actually put a torque wrench on the nuts to check them!
varneon_UR

Post by varneon_UR »

mattzPost wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:11 pm
Which is exactly why I say that “wheel nut indicators are no guarantee” that wheel nuts are tight, nothing beats a proper “wheel maintenance system” !
I would be interested to know who it was that “ advised the driver to continue with his work” and if anyone took the opportunity to actually put a torque wrench on the nuts to check them!
myself and yes a torque wrench was used
10micheridd

Post by 10micheridd »

true but I run tippers, so loosing wheel nut indictors is a daily occurrence, they get blown off in the wheel washers, quarry's, tips so they would never go out the yard in the morning if we stopped everyone. Instead the drivers have their hammers and then access to a calibrated torque wrench at the depot.
mattzPost

Post by mattzPost »

varneon_UR wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:11 pm
myself and yes a torque wrench was used
If you are the responsible person, what you did was in my opinion, taken appropriate action to ensure that the vehicle was in a “fit and serviceable” condition to continue, like others say, there is no legal requirement to have wheel but indicators fitted, and unless it is “specifically stated” in a document or drivers daily check procedures that they should be fitted , and all present at time of check, it would be harsh to do anything other than advise / train the driver that that should be the case!
Lee+Hemp

Post by Lee+Hemp »

100% with you on this. Wheel nut indicators can sometimes give a false sense of security (no pun intended), operators and drivers alike can become complacent with just a casual glance at the indicators.
Often they hide issues, so a good look at the wheels closely (and as some suggested hammer, torque wrench etc) can often be a better solution to wheel security.
DBCrossed

Post by DBCrossed »

Wheel nut indicators are not a legal requirement. If company policy states they must be present, a reminder and sign off to back up would be sufficient.
If policy is to retrain in such an event, that too is fine.
All down to company policies and how they are enforced.
The way the situation was dealt with is perfectly acceptable.
varneon_UR

Post by varneon_UR »

DBCrossed wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:14 pm Wheel nut indicators are not a legal requirement. If company policy states they must be present, a reminder and sign off to back up would be sufficient.
If policy is to retrain in such an event, that too is fine.
All down to company policies and how they are enforced.
The way the situation was dealt with is perfectly acceptable.
thank you 🙏
gary.stoop

Post by gary.stoop »

Well nut indicators are just a visual check Merc lorries have a washer behind the nut they split and course wheel to move and will come lose vosa in Norfolk often make you take them off as they say they are not the proper way to check the wheel nuts they say always use a tapping hammer
billxNarrative

Post by billxNarrative »

there’s no consideration of the driver in your comment to the point that you either mis-stated or misunderstood. Why do you assume the driver has performed their checks incorrectly? Why would you check the wheel nuts before checking whether the driver has? Are you suggesting that a loose nut should be left in order to assess if the driver finds it?
You should always put yourself in the other persons shoes and ask first, not assume or presume. A driver might be sloppy but I’ve never met one yet who didn’t care if his vehicle was safe or not. They all want to make it to the end of their shift.
robbHoop10

Post by robbHoop10 »

billxNarrative wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:15 pm there’s no consideration of the driver in your comment to the point that you either mis-stated or misunderstood. Why do you assume the driver has performed their checks incorrectly? Why would you check the wheel nuts before checking whether the driver has? Are you suggesting that a loose nut should be left in order to assess if the driver finds it?
You should always put yourself in the other persons shoes and ask first, not assume or presume. A driver might be sloppy but I’ve never met one yet who didn’t care if his vehicle was safe or not. They all want to make it to the end of their shift.
I literally said in my comment this could have been a genuine mistake. 🤦
08karlphreek

Post by 08karlphreek »

What a waste of time. Idiotic health and safety. Zero risk, expense for no reason.
Rich.Sublime

Post by Rich.Sublime »

good drivers are the key to the business. I'm not saying treat them with kid gloves but a casual quiet word goes a long way. Why alienate them? The alleged driver shortage may have cooled off but if you have proven good staff you want to keep them.
MAROBAL99

Post by MAROBAL99 »

Did his walk around check state is all wheel nut indicators present. As our walk around check does, seems a little trivial if the check didn’t state that, and only asked if all wheel nuts were present. Just asking?
22stevenomzo

Post by 22stevenomzo »

The reason wheelnut indicators are there, is to help decide whether a nut may be loose. If they are not there, then you are prudent to get them retorqued before fitting some and sending the truck out, if you don't, to be fair, you are worse than the driver for accepting that something could be wrong, but over ruling it due to expediency. Its good that random checks are being made, especially if they are being logged and outcomes recorded, but come on?
PHIChrome

Post by PHIChrome »

22stevenomzo wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:18 pm The reason wheelnut indicators are there, is to help decide whether a nut may be loose. If they are not there, then you are prudent to get them retorqued before fitting some and sending the truck out, if you don't, to be fair, you are worse than the driver for accepting that something could be wrong, but over ruling it due to expediency. Its good that random checks are being made, especially if they are being logged and outcomes recorded, but come on?
wheel nut indicators are dangerous in themselves.
If a wheel nut becomes loose due to damage to the wheel or, the thread has stretched then, the wheel nut indicators are useless and a false indicator.
I’d rather NOT have them fitted.
22stevenomzo

Post by 22stevenomzo »

PHIChrome wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:18 pm
22stevenomzo wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:18 pm The reason wheelnut indicators are there, is to help decide whether a nut may be loose. If they are not there, then you are prudent to get them retorqued before fitting some and sending the truck out, if you don't, to be fair, you are worse than the driver for accepting that something could be wrong, but over ruling it due to expediency. Its good that random checks are being made, especially if they are being logged and outcomes recorded, but come on?
If a wheel nut becomes loose due to damage to the wheel or, the thread has stretched then, the wheel nut indicators are useless and a false indicator.
I agree, I'd sooner see more physical checks, but while they are there, and that is all the driver has, then he has to deal with that.
Lee+Hemp

Post by Lee+Hemp »

PHIChrome wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:18 pm
I'm inclined to agree, although I do think they have a place in some circumstances.
This pic (I believe the convention is to state NMP) was from a few years ago but shows that bad stuff can lurk behind the wheel nut indicators.
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (429.53 KiB) Viewed 551 times

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”