Anyone got any good advice? Any help is much appreciated. Having a nightmare just failed case study exam with

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Joann_Ms

Anyone got any good advice? Any help is much appreciated. Having a nightmare just failed case study exam with

Post by Joann_Ms »

Having a nightmare just failed case study exam with logistics UK for 2nd time after waiting over 9 weeks for results, anyone got any good advice? Resit is in 4 weeks but unsure if I should wait until March as just unsure what I’m doing wrong, any help is much appreciated
Joosh.Garnett

Re: Anyone got any good advice? Any help is much appreciated. Having a nightmare just failed case study exam with

Post by Joosh.Garnett »

Firstly don’t beat yourself up over it, it’s bloody hard!!
Joosh.Garnett

Re: Anyone got any good advice? Any help is much appreciated. Having a nightmare just failed case study exam with

Post by Joosh.Garnett »

I passed mine second time around by the skin of my teeth!! I was told to keep going over past papers to get a good feel for it. Keep going, you’ll get there.
sc5otterhe

Post by sc5otterhe »

Study the 3 core modules .. Ops Licensing, Costing and scheduling know them inside out, that’s more than enough for a pass in the case study
Ieroni

Post by Ieroni »

Have a look at past papers published and downloadable/printable on ocr website.
Each exam set has separate case study, question paper and exam report (this contains feedback, some answers, national weak areas, some answer layout guidance. It's not a full answer sheet but very useful).
You will see question patterns if you download multiple exam series.
PughQ

Post by PughQ »

Read the questions carefully aswell..
MATTIELD

Post by MATTIELD »

Are you taking ALL notes in with you?
MATTIELD

Post by MATTIELD »

Remember to think about each question and it’s required answer. Why/What/Where/When. You can do this!
Joann_Ms

Post by Joann_Ms »

MATTIELD wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:10 pm Are you taking ALL notes in with you?
not allowed to take notes into city and guilds exam
MATTIELD

Post by MATTIELD »

Joann_Ms wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:11 pm
MATTIELD wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:10 pm Are you taking ALL notes in with you?
not allowed to take notes into city and guilds exam
Wow in that case go over as many case studies as you can almost memorize them! Sorry I can’t offer you more advise but I do wish you the best of luck
Lyn.Lyallis

Post by Lyn.Lyallis »

Don't worry because it is a really hard exam. Best advice for passing for me is just doing past papers over and over again once your have fully revised the course syllabus,
Lyn.Lyallis

Post by Lyn.Lyallis »

and the stuff that you'll get wrong on them is how you learn when you do the next one. Keep going you will definitely pass if you keep at it
Louisearis

Post by Louisearis »

The only thing I can say is the vehicle costing scheduling and operator licensing are worth the big points I focused on them on pass papers until I knew them inside out if you get those three correct.
Louisearis

Post by Louisearis »

You have practically passed. When first reading the case study highlight ever piece of key info you might need so it’s easier to go over and pick the numbers etc back out
Don’t give up you can do it xx
lipp+mega

Post by lipp+mega »

Have you read the examiners report?
lipp+mega

Post by lipp+mega »

You should as you read through it think “ah I may have done that” and you might realize where you’ve gone wrong so you can practice that bit.
Joann_Ms

Post by Joann_Ms »

lipp+mega wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:13 pm Have you read the examiners report?
I have yes and I’ve also appealed this one as I thought I’d done ok but done worst than the fail in June the % pass was also lower in September it’s driving me insane
lipp+mega

Post by lipp+mega »

Joann_Ms wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:14 pm
I have yes and I’ve also appealed this one as I thought I’d done ok but done worst than the fail in June the % pass was also lower in September it’s driving me insane
oh no ☹️ can you see where you think you went wrong?
lipp+mega

Post by lipp+mega »

I know finance gets a lot of people caught out.
Joann_Ms

Post by Joann_Ms »

lipp+mega wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:15 pm
no idea waiting feedback
lipp+mega

Post by lipp+mega »

Joann_Ms wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:15 pm

no idea waiting feedback
fingers crossed you get it through quickly and can then pass on the next one 🤞🏻🤞🏻I did mine in June and passed it first time but I have the benefit of understanding the finance elements quite well, if you want any help with anything just shout.
lipp+mega

Post by lipp+mega »

Joann_Ms wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:15 pm

no idea waiting feedback
Good luck if you do it in December. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
App.Lencon

Post by App.Lencon »

I'm waiting on my results from September's exam. If you did yours with OCR I'd say definitely do it this time round. A month is ample time to learn, learn, learn. Even if you only revise for say 2 hours a day that's approximately 60 hours of revision. I think you'll regret having to wait so long for the exams next year. I would anyway.
Joann_Ms

Post by Joann_Ms »

App.Lencon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:17 pm I'm waiting on my results from September's exam. If you did yours with OCR I'd say definitely do it this time round. A month is ample time to learn, learn, learn. Even if you only revise for say 2 hours a day that's approximately 60 hours of revision. I think you'll regret having to wait so long for the exams next year. I would anyway.
I did mine through logistics
App.Lencon

Post by App.Lencon »

Joann_Ms wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:17 pm
App.Lencon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:17 pm I'm waiting on my results from September's exam. If you did yours with OCR I'd say definitely do it this time round. A month is ample time to learn, learn, learn. Even if you only revise for say 2 hours a day that's approximately 60 hours of revision. I think you'll regret having to wait so long for the exams next year. I would anyway.
Do they do their own exam? I'm only asking as our examination board was CILT and we really struggled 🙈
Joann_Ms

Post by Joann_Ms »

App.Lencon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:17 pm
Joann_Ms wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:17 pm
Do they do their own exam? I'm only asking as our examination board was CILT and we really struggled 🙈
no it’s city and guilds
jameUp

Post by jameUp »

Keep taking exams i failed case study 3 times passed on the 4th with ocr exam it may just be exam nerves I passed the cilt case study first time online exam but I had failed ocr twice b4 that I have passed both papers with both exam boards now
WOLTERVIS

Post by WOLTERVIS »

Highlighting key information in the questions helps as it makes it a little easier to work out what it is they’re asking for. We were given a couple of past multi choice papers every night to do and I also spent the full weekend in the middle of the course working on case studies. I found it really difficult as I hate exams.
chanBonBon

Post by chanBonBon »

I took the Logistics UK exam in June, luckily I passed first time. The format is slightly different from the OCR paper, they base their questions on several scenarios rather than a single case study and they don’t allow any paperwork into the exam so you can’t take in any notes. I did a lot of OCR past papers nevertheless. As has already been highlighted the driver scheduling and the costing questions carry most of the points so crack those and you are well on your way.
chanBonBon

Post by chanBonBon »

Make sure you understand every aspect of the costing process and watch out for the ‘catch’ points in the scheduling (example you may need to make the driver take a break between arriving at a destination and unloading). Presumably you have your TMCPC course notes and their corresponding assessment modules just keep going through them until you know them like the back of your hand. Feel free to message me if you want any more help/feedback.
Joann_Ms

Post by Joann_Ms »

chanBonBon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:22 pm Make sure you understand every aspect of the costing process and watch out for the ‘catch’ points in the scheduling (example you may need to make the driver take a break between arriving at a destination and unloading). Presumably you have your TMCPC course notes and their corresponding assessment modules just keep going through them until you know them like the back of your hand. Feel free to message me if you want any more help/feedback.
thanks I got 32/35 and messed up the journey and knew I had thought I’d done better in September but did much worse
varneon_UR

Post by varneon_UR »

Concentrate on past papers and the heavily weighted questions. I passed 1st time and didn’t even finish the paper but made sure I absolutely nailed the heavy questions. Also if you start running out towards then end start bullet pointing.
JILLerusffo

Post by JILLerusffo »

why cannot you take the ocr folder in with you for the case study for reference ???
Joann_Ms

Post by Joann_Ms »

JILLerusffo wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:23 pm why cannot you take the ocr folder in with you for the case study for reference ???
for city and guilds you are not allowed
noel_hardim

Post by noel_hardim »

i passed cased study, stuck on multiple choice questions doing OCR
ihon6west

Post by ihon6west »

These are all good sound advice above. I finally passed the case study in June. What I did was read the question paper first, then read the whole paper and highlight all the keys points etc. If you know how to answer some of the low points questions easily then quickly answer them to get few extra quick marks. Then do the big questions and spend quality time on them to make sure you answer them with confidence and make sure you totally smash them. That should be enough to pass.

I can't seem to pass the multiple choice for OCR. Failed 3 times now by literally 3-4 marks every time. Its seriously doing my head in. But OCR doesn't give much practice papers/questions. That's why I'm struggling to pass because not much to practice on.
If anyone has any advice or know where I can purchase or get practice multiple choice exam questions from, please can you share. 🙏
Really would appreciate it. Thanks
chanBonBon

Post by chanBonBon »

ihon6west wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:26 pm These are all good sound advice above. I finally passed the case study in June. What I did was read the question paper first, then read the whole paper and highlight all the keys points etc. If you know how to answer some of the low points questions easily then quickly answer them to get few extra quick marks. Then do the big questions and spend quality time on them to make sure you answer them with confidence and make sure you totally smash them. That should be enough to pass.

I can't seem to pass the multiple choice for OCR. Failed 3 times now by literally 3-4 marks every time. Its seriously doing my head in. But OCR doesn't give much practice papers/questions. That's why I'm struggling to pass because not much to practice on.
If anyone has any advice or know where I can purchase or get practice multiple choice exam questions from, please can you share. 🙏
sorry but I think you will have difficulty in finding sample multiple choice questions. OCR only provide one set on their website and Logistics UK only provided one set.
ihon6west

Post by ihon6west »

chanBonBon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:27 pm
ihon6west wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:26 pm These are all good sound advice above. I finally passed the case study in June. What I did was read the question paper first, then read the whole paper and highlight all the keys points etc. If you know how to answer some of the low points questions easily then quickly answer them to get few extra quick marks. Then do the big questions and spend quality time on them to make sure you answer them with confidence and make sure you totally smash them. That should be enough to pass.

sorry but I think you will have difficulty in finding sample multiple choice questions. OCR only provide one set on their website and Logistics UK only provided one set.
Yes I know mate. That's why I thought no harm in asking on the group just incase somebody has any advice etc. I did speak to someone who also sat the exams with me and the training provider he was with offered him a package deal which included endless amount of multiple choice exam questions on a online basis. He had to pay about £150--200 and all he had to do was go onto this certain site and enter a password.
ihon6west

Post by ihon6west »

And bingo he had thousands of practice questions. He fully focused on the multiple choice exam just kept practicing and he passed first time. And his speaking and writing English wasn't too good aswell.
He obviously failed the case study.
chanBonBon

Post by chanBonBon »

ihon6west wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:28 pm

And bingo he had thousands of practice questions. He fully focused on the multiple choice exam just kept practicing and he passed first time. And his speaking and writing English wasn't too good aswell.
that’s one I had not heard of. Obviously if you want and feel you can afford it go ahead.
ihon6west

Post by ihon6west »

chanBonBon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:29 pm

that’s one I had not heard of. Obviously if you want and feel you can afford it go ahead.
Yes it was a big surprise for me aswell hearing that from him. But it is alot of money and apparently the password only lasts for 6 months. If I can find out more information on this from someone, then I will definitely look into it. Think I will just simply study the material I have and sit the exam in December. And if I fail again then definitely invest into that system on offer. Hopefully fingers crossed I pass this time though.
ihon6west

Post by ihon6west »

I only failed by literally 3-4 marks each time, which is very frustrating.
JILLerusffo

Post by JILLerusffo »

https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/p ... er-finder/
JILLerusffo

Post by JILLerusffo »

I just went on and found over 12 years worth of past papers, case study, so I don't know where you lot are looking, so I've posted the link, have fun on them
ihon6west

Post by ihon6west »

JILLerusffo wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:30 pm

https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/p ... er-finder/
Think you have miss read my post mate. I have already passed my case study exam and I was also taught from the first few days on the course to go online on the OCR website to retrieve past case study exam papers etc. Which did help me a lot to pass my case study and I have them all printed out with all the examiner reports etc.
ihon6west

Post by ihon6west »

JILLerusffo wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:31 pm

I just went on and found over 12 years worth of past papers, case study, so I don't know where you lot are looking, so I've posted the link, have fun on them
But with the Multiple choice exam, its a different ball game with OCR. It might be very different with other exam boards etc. Think each training provider has their own scheme and teaching methods these day's.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”