Atm, I'm dealing whit vans and I'm looking forward to buy some trailers for them! In this case the tgw will be over 3.5t

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Le09apr21

Atm, I'm dealing whit vans and I'm looking forward to buy some trailers for them! In this case the tgw will be over 3.5t

Post by Le09apr21 »

Hi,
Atm, I'm dealing whit vans and I'm looking forward to buy some trailers for them! In this case the tgw will be over 3.5t but it won't pull trailers every day!
Want to know if I need to apply for a o licence and what will involve!!
TIA
If you need a Transport Manager (CPC Holder) or assistance with an Operator's Licence anywhere in the UK, contact Dmitry Nade at TransportForum.com 7 days a week on 07833 684449 (phone and WhatsApp) or email: [email protected]
Le09apr21

Re: Atm, I'm dealing whit vans and I'm looking forward to buy some trailers for them! In this case the tgw will be over

Post by Le09apr21 »

Going to get the pop corn this should be good

You’ll need a goods vehicle operator’s licence for a motor vehicle and trailer combination if:
the motor vehicle and the trailer(s) are plated and the total of their gross plated weights is more than 3,500 kg
the total unladen weight of the vehicle and trailer combination is more than 1,525 kg
You do not need an operator’s licence if your trailer’s unladen weight is less than 1,020 kg and you only carry your own goods.

ok, but I will still need a service contract or my vehicles to be limited?

I mean I'll need to service my vehicles at every 6 week even if they're not over 3.5t every day?

If the vehicles are listed on an operators license then I would say yes

I see! Thanks for your reply!

Don't forget the drivers license requirements as well

our drivers are ex hgv drivers whit licence and cpc

Not all HGV drivers can tow trailers 🤔

They must have cat E on it

Yes, they have cat E on their licence!

First question that should of been asked is what are you doing with the van and trailers ??
Carrying your own goods or "hire and reward" ??

hire and rewards

Driver must have CE class if the trailer more than 750gk, if not just C will be enough, in addition of having O licence for using more than 3500 km combination of vehicles.

eh???

C1+E

if they’re under 3500kg vans then a b+e could be sufficient.

Technically as its a 3.5t van with trailer they only require B+E as a minimum category on their license to be entitled to drive said combination.

Tachograph required if the gvw exceeds 3.5tonne and you are travelling more then 100kms from your base. providing driving is not their main activity

It sounds from what you have said that you will need tachographs fitting in the vans... so then the drivers will need to use their driver card to record any work done with and without trailer on either through out of scope or WTD book / sheet when trailer not attached... also 6 weeeklys as you have rightfully mentioned

I was wondering when someone would mention this! 👍🏻

No operators licence required if trailer under 1020kg and vehicle under 3500kg currently, there is talk of this changing tachograph must be fitted has hire and reward no need to inspect every 6 weeks must have a b+e licence

You say trailers ? But what kind of trailers ? What will the combined weight be ?

above has stated the correct answer.
A standard licence is required as it's "hire and reward".
Tachograph required when towing the trailer.
Speed limiters fitted.
When not towing the trailer, a record of the drivers duty and drive time must be record so best practice would really be tachograph all the time to be right.
Vans and trailers need maintenance, probably get away with 10/12 weeks intervals, depending on age of vehicles and mileage covered.
B + E licence or pre 1997.
DCPC, already covered I believe?
TM required.
Basically run as though your running trucks to be safe.
The law changes in 12 months so all vans over 2500kgs hauling aboard will need to be on O licence, don't be surprised if this country follows suit guys.
I'd say the van drivers days will soon be numbered!!
If you need a Transport Manager (CPC Holder) or assistance with an Operator's Licence anywhere in the UK, contact Dmitry Nade at TransportForum.com 7 days a week on 07833 684449 (phone and WhatsApp) or email: [email protected]

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”