Does anyone have a letter for drivers to sign saying they have received their copy of the companies drivers handbook?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
newstuts

Does anyone have a letter for drivers to sign saying they have received their copy of the companies drivers handbook?

Post by newstuts »

Hi Everyone,
Thanks.
eriklauritsen

Re: Does anyone have a letter for drivers to sign saying they have received their copy of the companies drivers handbook

Post by eriklauritsen »

Employee Handbook receipt
This Handbook has been drawn up by the Company to provide you with information on
employment policies and procedures. It is important for you to read the Handbook
carefully as this, together with your Contract of Employment, sets out your main terms
and conditions of employment.
The information covers a wide range of subjects relating to your employment and in the
event that information in this Handbook conflicts with terms and conditions as stated in
your Contract of Employment, the Contract will take precedence.
If you have any questions or any part of the Handbook is unclear to you, please do not
hesitate to raise any queries with Management.
It is important that you do this before signing that you have read, understood and are
willing to abide by all the Company’s terms and conditions.
I acknowledge receipt of this Employee Handbook, which is the property of the
Company, and which forms an integral part of my Contract of Employment.
I agree that if I do not return this Handbook on the termination of my employment, the
sum of £6.00 can be deducted from any monies owing to me.
Received by ………………………………………………… (Employee)
Signed ……………………………………………………….
Date ………………………………………………………….
Jphammer

Re: Does anyone have a letter for drivers to sign saying they have received their copy of the companies drivers handbook

Post by Jphammer »

Just a quick question, are you just giving them the book and asking for them to sign for it?
The reason I ask is within past roles across different industries I notice that that the haulage industry is great at handing out things and getting them signed for, unfortunately do not expect this to cover your back.
You would be better covered doing a toolbox talk, discussing the handbook, how to use it (not to stop cup rings on your dash) what’s in there and what to do if unsure. Also you need to check all those receiving the handbook get it in the written language they can read and do they have issues reading if so your handbook isn’t much good (think dyslexia often very intelligent but struggles to read) a lot of old school drivers fell into this category.
Then get them to sign a toolbox talk sheet with what they have received, they under how to use the handbook and if they have any concerns they know who to go to.
Get each driver to sign and date the form.
Toolbox talks are a much better way to cover your back as it gives drivers a chance to question things and you can read the drivers feelings about the topic. They last 5-10 mins.
A toolbox talk sheet you will find on the internet but should include Date, topic deliverer, what’s covered any thing issued. And a signing sheet where those present sign to say they have understood, had a chance to answer questions, and have received items… ,their name clearly and the date. Keep this in your training records.
I have a folder for toolbox talks which I can reference at any time. New starters go through toolbox talks before starting if relevant to role.
In a tribunal this will be received better than a letter they have signed.
Everyone has their own way of doing things and most TM don’t come from a HR background. Again this is your choice but I believe belt and braces are best.
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

Agree with jphammer above. Giving a driver a handbook, wedge of policies or laughable a bundle of risk assessments and getting them to sign that they have read, understood and received a copy has just devalued the value of the worthless bit of paper they signed. It means nothing apart from pampering the bosses ego or surprisingly satisfies some accreditations.

Toolbox talks relevant to the driver/ worker or briefing notes or just a stand up and talk with a skimpy handbook has way more value. There is a well known group of factories that require visitors to watch a video and sign a watched, understood declaration. They then did a test afterwards and proved the video was a waste of time unless the viewer was expecting to be asked questions about

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”