Changes to HGV and bus driving tests and allowing car drivers to tow a trailer without an extra test

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Jphammer

Re: Changes to HGV and bus driving tests and allowing car drivers to tow a trailer without an extra test

Post by Jphammer »

I feeling if they are going to give car drivers a free upgrade to pull trailers then why not upgrade all class two to class one, in fact to make it slightly safer let haulage companies do a driving assessment and agree the driver can drive class one. What could go wrong.
And how would allowing car drivers to pull trailers help at the moment, I can’t see Tesco allowing two dozen car drivers into a depot to unload in stead of one artic, and how many of those free upgrades would have to take the trailer off the car and push it onto the bay, that will be probably too high to unload to.
gadfi

Re: Changes to HGV and bus driving tests and allowing car drivers to tow a trailer without an extra test

Post by gadfi »

Jphammer wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:26 am I feeling if they are going to give car drivers a free upgrade to pull trailers then why not upgrade all class two to class one, in fact to make it slightly safer let haulage companies do a driving assessment and agree the driver can drive class one. What could go wrong.
And how would allowing car drivers to pull trailers help at the moment, I can’t see Tesco allowing two dozen car drivers into a depot to unload in stead of one artic, and how many of those free upgrades would have to take the trailer off the car and push it onto the bay, that will be probably too high to unload to.
I think you could be missing the point of this …..if they don’t have to test car drivers to tow trailers then they would be free to test more LGV applications….just a thought
robtig

Post by robtig »

gadfi wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:27 am I think you could be missing the point of this …..if they don’t have to test car drivers to tow trailers then they would be free to test more LGV applications….just a thought
the number of car drivers doing trailer tests is tiny
Jphammer

Post by Jphammer »

robtig wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:28 am the number of car drivers doing trailer tests is tiny
the number of people taking trailer tests is small, but the number who got trailer grandfather rights that are dangerous is shocking, so many don’t know the law on pulling a trailer in a car, let alone those that can’t reverse. I think you would be better for a free upgrade to all class two drivers that have driven for 10 years.
charly65

Post by charly65 »

Complete the survey, give them your honest opinions for or against.
stevenospam

Post by stevenospam »

Well we have been towing trailers behind cars
Well we have been towing trailers behind cars for as long as The towbar his been around and some of us went on to drive HGVs all over the world .
freg

Post by freg »

I’ve completed the survey honestly, not that they will pay attention to any of the comments.
snarfblatt

Post by snarfblatt »

You used to be able to go from car licence straight to class 1.
Then they changed it to having to do class2 then class 1
snarfblatt

Post by snarfblatt »

snarfblatt wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:31 am You used to be able to go from car licence straight to class 1.
straight to Class 1 in my day
pabhu

Post by pabhu »

snarfblatt wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:31 am You used to be able to go from car licence straight to class 1.
nguyen2075

Post by nguyen2075 »

And mine 1977
nguyen2075

Post by nguyen2075 »

Can anyone suggest why any of these changes will address the real issues that are creating the Driver Shortage, nobody is suggesting that Wages, Conditions, Welfare, Respect, Facilities. Working Time Directive and many more issues that have nothing to do with whether you sit 1 Test or 2 or can drive a bus or car with a trailer or not will elevate this situation.
The Professional bodies who represent the Industry ( at least say they do) are blaming Brexit, COVID or anything else they can think off but, none of them are addressing the real issues.
Even although the situation continues jobs are still being advertised at less than minimum wage, how will changing the HGV Driver Test address this?
timindaburgh

Post by timindaburgh »

I can’t see the issue with going straight to C+E, the training has to be good enough to get through the test and so those drivers will be as competent as any others. As for B+E, I believe that’s so widely ignored it’s pointless anyway
Jphammer

Post by Jphammer »

In the 70s people got free HGVs when they came in so a quick upgrade now wouldn’t set a precedent

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”