Is here anyone that could advise me or tell me how they operate as an ETM?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
codan

Is here anyone that could advise me or tell me how they operate as an ETM?

Post by codan »

Hi everyone. I’m a newly qualified transport manager.I’m obviously been on the TM course, took as much of the theory as I could and passed both exams but I don’t know exactly the practical side of things.
Is here anyone that could advise me or tell me how they operate as an ETM? Is there any reports that must be done weekly/monthly? Any template? I am based in Dunstable.
Any advice/help would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
nessie

Re: Is here anyone that could advise me or tell me how they operate as an ETM?

Post by nessie »

As an ETM, here's what I suggest:
1) set yourself up as a sole trader with public liability/professional indemnity insurance.
2) Draft one yourself or get a solicitor to draft you a standard contract for being engaged by an operator as an ETM
3) Set up a charging/rate structure (ignore the one on this site, it's not official and brings the rates down for everyone but gives you a starting idea) based on the number of hours required for operators for small fleets (<30) see TC document 3 min hours
4) Advertise
5) If an operator doesn't heed your advise, warn them, and if no difference, resign. Keep your qualification rather than be complicit in allowing an operator to lose theirs because you're afraid to lose a bad customer.
PM me if you want any further advise
Good luck
If you've got PSV I may have a client for you

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”