Does anyone know if I can pay to resit the case study exam only?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
lerestu

Post by lerestu »

Hi guys, I’m hoping someone can help me with a question regarding the Transport Manager CPC course with Logistics.
I passed the multiple choice but failed the case study. My work have now refused to continue the funding of this.
Am I able to pay for this myself? I don’t want the revision course, I literally just want to re sit the exam. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance ☺️
nickia007

Re: Does anyone know if I can pay to resit the case study exam only?

Post by nickia007 »

reading the T&C’s you do get one free retest if you are doing it with Logistics.
The answer to your question, yes you can pay to just sit the case study it’s self. As some people do fail 1 out of the 2 and have to resist the one failed.
lerestu

Post by lerestu »

nickia007 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:48 pm reading the T&C’s you do get one free retest if you are doing it with Logistics.
The answer to your question, yes you can pay to just sit the case study it’s self. As some people do fail 1 out of the 2 and have to resist the one failed.
I have already used my free re-sit, failed twice 😬
nickia007

Post by nickia007 »

lerestu wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:50 pm I have already used my free re-sit, failed twice 😬
ah right, well you can book just the case study.
On the plus side you are half way by passing the MP test, so don’t give up!
Good luck.
funtent

Post by funtent »

is there a particular part of the syllabus that is letting you down?
lerestu

Post by lerestu »

funtent wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:52 pm is there a particular part of the syllabus that is letting you down?
no, I studied so hard for it but on the day of the case study, sometimes my mind goes blank or I way overthink things 🤷🏽‍♀️…I’m far from stupid but I’m clearly not getting something 🤷🏽‍♀️ x
yes city and guilds..never had any issues with mocks. When I took the last exam, the examiner had told us that something in the course had changed (they had added a bit in or something). When I re took the exam it was totally different to the last one I took only 3 months earlier 🙄 xx
funtent

Post by funtent »

lerestu wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:54 pm no, I studied so hard for it but on the day of the case study, sometimes my mind goes blank or I way overthink things 🤷🏽‍♀️…I’m far from stupid but I’m clearly not getting something 🤷🏽‍♀️ x
yes city and guilds..never had any issues with mocks. When I took the last exam, the examiner had told us that something in the course had changed (they had added a bit in or something). When I re took the exam it was totally different to the last one I took only 3 months earlier 🙄 xx
Did you have feedback from a tutor for mock exams? I'm guessing you did City & Guilds which is not one I teach, but having read an examiners' report, they seem to pick up on the same faults that are commonplace with candidates sitting other exam board papers.
with the best will in the world, I would not expect a re-sit student to pass having not looked at their books for 3 months even if I was providing two days intensive training before the exam.
As I've said; this is not an exam structure I'm familiar with, but Michael Whole Grain's description of the two days is Case Study Review. This to me would mean student rocks up "exam ready", sits the mock exams and benefits from a review by a trainer who could then address any shortcomings.
lerestu

Post by lerestu »

funtent wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:54 pm Did you have feedback from a tutor for mock exams? I'm guessing you did City & Guilds which is not one I teach, but having read an examiners' report, they seem to pick up on the same faults that are commonplace with candidates sitting other exam board papers.
with the best will in the world, I would not expect a re-sit student to pass having not looked at their books for 3 months even if I was providing two days intensive training before the exam.
As I've said; this is not an exam structure I'm familiar with, but Michael Whole Grain's description of the two days is Case Study Review. This to me would mean student rocks up "exam ready", sits the mock exams and benefits from a review by a trainer who could then address any shortcomings.
I’m up at 3am for work every day, so the likelihood of being able to stay awake and focus would be minimal. A revision to me means, going over things before the exam? If I was ready to ‘rock up, exam ready’ I wouldn’t have needed the 2 day revision.
funtent

Post by funtent »

lerestu wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:56 pm I’m up at 3am for work every day, so the likelihood of being able to stay awake and focus would be minimal. A revision to me means, going over things before the exam? If I was ready to ‘rock up, exam ready’ I wouldn’t have needed the 2 day revision.
you've misunderstood me. I'm just trying to ascertain what the two day course offered. Case Study Review would be as I described above. Revision or Refresher Course would be something entirely different.
Would I be correct in thinking that the City & Guilds exam does not allow reference material to be taken into the exam room?
lerestu

Post by lerestu »

funtent wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:56 pm you've misunderstood me. I'm just trying to ascertain what the two day course offered. Case Study Review would be as I described above. Revision or Refresher Course would be something entirely different.
Would I be correct in thinking that the City & Guilds exam does not allow reference material to be taken into the exam room?
ahhhh okay get you. It’s a two day ‘refresher’ prior to the exam, then the exam on the 3rd day. There is no feedback given. When you receive your results there’s a bit a the bottom, that gives a generalisation of what people found difficult and what most people found easy. This was based on every centre that sat the exam…so probably a few hundred people at once…so we don’t get to find out what ‘we’ failed on, if that makes sense
funtent

Post by funtent »

lerestu wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:58 pm ahhhh okay get you. It’s a two day ‘refresher’ prior to the exam, then the exam on the 3rd day. There is no feedback given. When you receive your results there’s a bit a the bottom, that gives a generalisation of what people found difficult and what most people found easy. This was based on every centre that sat the exam…so probably a few hundred people at once…so we don’t get to find out what ‘we’ failed on, if that makes sense
Unfortunately CILT and City & Guilds don't publish the actual paper that goes with it. OCR and SEGA make theirs public (along with the chief examiner's report) and OCR offered an opion for you to pay to have your marked paper returned. This was a really useful tool and well worth the cost. I don't know if SEGA have adopted this too? Any other TM trainers out there that could enlighten me?

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”