Hi I am wanting to do my hgv licence can anyone give me any information, any information would be grateful thanks

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
welchan

Hi I am wanting to do my hgv licence can anyone give me any information, any information would be grateful thanks

Post by welchan »

Hi I am wanting to do my hgv licence can anyone give me any information that I will need like training centres any tests I need to pass like cpc etc. places that take on new drivers etc. any information would be grateful thanks
welchan

Re: Hi I am wanting to do my hgv licence can anyone give me any information, any information would be grateful thanks

Post by welchan »

Pabler wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:11 am What area you in?
Liverpool
romew

Re: Hi I am wanting to do my hgv licence can anyone give me any information, any information would be grateful thanks

Post by romew »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:12 am
Liverpool
I did mine with abc team in Newton-le-Willows give them a ring
stgreet

Post by stgreet »

Liverpool
same area as me, I did mine with chevron in flint.
It's a little drive out, but a much more peaceful area to learn in.
The guys at chevron are great, and won't rip you off for lessons you don't need.
welchan

Post by welchan »

stgreet wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:14 am
Liverpool
same area as me, I did mine with chevron in flint.
It's a little drive out, but a much more peaceful area to learn in.
The guys at chevron are great, and won't rip you off for lessons you don't need.
That’s great thank you I will have a look into it I’ve had my medical an only just sent me license back to the dvla
pachell

Post by pachell »

Atherton hgv training are good and very cheap if you're on a budget
welchan

Post by welchan »

pachell wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:42 am Atherton hgv training are good and very cheap if you're on a budget
thanks Pachell I will look at the website
pachell

Post by pachell »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:43 am
pachell wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:42 am Atherton hgv training are good and very cheap if you're on a budget
There is also one in Widnes on Ditton road he is a little bit more expensive but very high pass rate
I just phoned around and went with who I thought was right for me.
All the best in your new career
welchan

Post by welchan »

pachell wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:43 am
welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:43 am
There is also one in Widnes on Ditton road he is a little bit more expensive but very high pass rate
I just phoned around and went with who I thought was right for me.
All the best in your new career
thanks a lot
leineo

Post by leineo »

Do as much yourself, so your own medical, paperwork, provisional, booking and taking your theory etc.. rather than booking through a service that does it all for you. They charge at least £1k more than if you do some yourself and shop around. Which category do you want?
welchan

Post by welchan »

leineo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:45 am Do as much yourself, so your own medical, paperwork, provisional, booking and taking your theory etc.. rather than booking through a service that does it all for you. They charge at least £1k more than if you do some yourself and shop around. Which category do you want?
thank you I want class 1 and 2
leineo

Post by leineo »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:45 am
leineo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:45 am Do as much yourself, so your own medical, paperwork, provisional, booking and taking your theory etc.. rather than booking through a service that does it all for you. They charge at least £1k more than if you do some yourself and shop around. Which category do you want?
you can go straight for your class 1 now, the laws have changed due to the driver shortage. I’ve done it all myself so feel free to drop me a DM if you need some advice
welchan

Post by welchan »

leineo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:46 am
welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:45 am
you can go straight for your class 1 now, the laws have changed due to the driver shortage. I’ve done it all myself so feel free to drop me a DM if you need some advice
Thanks 🙏
Miiden

Post by Miiden »

Definitely agree with above. Get all yours theories done, medical etc and just pay for your hours and tests then. Good luck with it all 😉
welchan

Post by welchan »

Miiden wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:47 am Definitely agree with above. Get all yours theories done, medical etc and just pay for your hours and tests then. Good luck with it all 😉
thank you any suggestions on who to go with for the theories?
Miiden

Post by Miiden »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:48 am
Miiden wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:47 am Definitely agree with above. Get all yours theories done, medical etc and just pay for your hours and tests then. Good luck with it all 😉
just book them straight on the dvsa website. Book all 3 on the same day and you can do them all at once. X
Think its around £70 for them all x
I did my medical with these.
https://d4drivers.uk/locations/warrington/
welchan

Post by welchan »

Miiden wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:49 am
just book them straight on the dvsa website. Book all 3 on the same day and you can do them all at once. X
Thanks you for the information
Miiden

Post by Miiden »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:49 am
Miiden wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:49 am

Thanks you for the information
no worries x
Jasinax

Post by Jasinax »

Right here goes i assume you passed your car test after 1996. If you passed car before 1997 stop reading this. Send of for tachograph card from your car licence. Hope you sent of for provisional c+e and d bus. When provisional entitlements shows up on gov uk book 3 exams on line hazard perception. Theory. Case studies. When you have passed these 3 exams on line at a test centre. Contact a driving school and book your driving test and CPC 4 with them. If you passed in a manual car make sure your school teaches in automatic gearbox trucks
welchan

Post by welchan »

Jasinax wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:54 am Right here goes i assume you passed your car test after 1996. If you passed car before 1997 stop reading this. Send of for tachograph card from your car licence. Hope you sent of for provisional c+e and d bus. When provisional entitlements shows up on gov uk book 3 exams on line hazard perception. Theory. Case studies. When you have passed these 3 exams on line at a test centre. Contact a driving school and book your driving test and CPC 4 with them. If you passed in a manual car make sure your school teaches in automatic gearbox trucks
thank you for all the information really appreciate it I’ve heard it can be hard for Newly qualified ppl to get a job
Jasinax

Post by Jasinax »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:54 am
Jasinax wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:54 am Right here goes i assume you passed your car test after 1996. If you passed car before 1997 stop reading this. Send of for tachograph card from your car licence. Hope you sent of for provisional c+e and d bus. When provisional entitlements shows up on gov uk book 3 exams on line hazard perception. Theory. Case studies. When you have passed these 3 exams on line at a test centre. Contact a driving school and book your driving test and CPC 4 with them. If you passed in a manual car make sure your school teaches in automatic gearbox trucks
thank you for all the information really appreciate it I’ve heard it can be hard for Newly qualified ppl to get a job
when did you pass you car test?
my son got class 2 at 18.3 in 2019 and was out to work day after CPC 4
depends where in the country but around London if you can read and write English well and are switched on loads of jobs for new starters many companies are keen to take on females to add diversity to their companies
welchan

Post by welchan »

Jasinax wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:55 am
depends where in the country but around London if you can read and write English well and are switched on loads of jobs for new starters many companies are keen to take on females to add diversity to their companies
I think it may have been 11/12 years ago I have no points
Jasinax

Post by Jasinax »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:59 am

good so your over 25 truck insurance is less over 25
welchan

Post by welchan »

Jasinax wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:59 am

yeah late 30s
Jasinax

Post by Jasinax »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:00 am

yeah late 30s
make sure you get the price for lessons test and CPC 4 combined. My son got done for £400 for cpc4 which is a rip off
welchan

Post by welchan »

Jasinax wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:00 am

yeah late 30s
make sure you get the price for lessons test and CPC 4 combined. My son got done for £400 for cpc4 which is a rip off
what’s the average price range?
Jasinax

Post by Jasinax »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:01 am

yeah late 30s
if you want a woman's view join hiab princess site. Sam is very approachable
your in liverpool im in London i think you'll pay less up there. Bit of advice train local as you don't want to learning roads and geography and commuting as well as learning to drive a lorry
welchan

Post by welchan »

Jasinax wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:02 am

your in liverpool im in London i think you'll pay less up there. Bit of advice train local as you don't want to learning roads and geography and commuting as well as learning to drive a lorry
thank you
Jasinax

Post by Jasinax »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:03 am

thank you
gov uk is paying the driving lessons for some people. Budget about £1500 for class c and CPC 4 in London and another £1200 for c + e
welchan

Post by welchan »

Jasinax wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:04 am
welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:03 am

thank you
gov uk is paying the driving lessons for some people. Budget about £1500 for class c and CPC 4 in London and another £1200 for c + e
I will to to have a look an see what’s available
Jonaly

Post by Jonaly »

it’s now completely free to do if your employed or unemployed… look on the government skills bootcamp and you will see it there… it covers everything free of charge 👍🏻
https://www.gov.uk/training-hgv/skills-bootcamps
welchan

Post by welchan »

Jonaly wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:05 am it’s now completely free to do if your employed or unemployed… look on the government skills bootcamp and you will see it there… it covers everything free of charge 👍🏻
thank you I will have a look
Jasinax

Post by Jasinax »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:06 am
Jonaly wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:05 am it’s now completely free to do if your employed or unemployed… look on the government skills bootcamp and you will see it there… it covers everything free of charge 👍🏻
once you get your test or before chat to sam at hiab princess she knows everyone and is up your way. Hanson's the aggregates company has a fair few women drivers and wants more for example
welchan

Post by welchan »

Jasinax wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:09 am
welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:06 am
once you get your test or before chat to sam at hiab princess she knows everyone and is up your way. Hanson's the aggregates company has a fair few women drivers and wants more for example
I will do thanks for all the information
jakewzy

Post by jakewzy »

Lgv training company full package best in business
welchan

Post by welchan »

jakewzy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:06 am Lgv training company full package best in business
thanks
BrowRau

Post by BrowRau »

jakewzy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:06 am Lgv training company full package best in business
I ve just passed class 2 with them and got class 1 in February. Great all the way thru and did my cv and put you in touch with reputable agencies to get started
welchan

Post by welchan »

BrowRau wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:19 am
I ve just passed class 2 with them and got class 1 in February. Great all the way thru and did my cv and put you in touch with reputable agencies to get started
are they local to Liverpool?
BrowRau

Post by BrowRau »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:20 am
they are from down south but put me in touch with someone in Birmingham, I paid £3k for both classes last Xmas so don’t know what it will be now, but that’s everything,cpc, theory booked when your ready and will put you with someone in your area and provide all the theory revision for your laptop. Can’t fault them as they organise everything
jakewzy

Post by jakewzy »

BrowRau wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:21 am

they are from down south but put me in touch with someone in Birmingham, I paid £3k for both classes last Xmas so don’t know what it will be now, but that’s everything,cpc, theory booked when your ready and will put you with someone in your area and provide all the theory revision for your laptop. Can’t fault them as they organise everything
ive found them to be fantastic aswell, always there to help ive just passed my theory hazard and cpc with them first time, theory 4 all is second to none. Im in the waiting process now for module 4.
mine was £3179 all in
welchan

Post by welchan »

jakewzy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:22 am

ive found them to be fantastic aswell, always there to help ive just passed my theory hazard and cpc with them first time, theory 4 all is second to none. Im in the waiting process now for module 4.
mine was £3179 all in
thanks 🙏
jakewzy

Post by jakewzy »

welchan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:22 am
jakewzy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:22 am

mine was £3179 all in
thanks 🙏
no problem
Laszko

Post by Laszko »

Hi Welchan, Avoid brokers 🙅🏼‍♂️ If you’ve a chance go to any school directly, they’ll more likely to treat you like a client.
Jasonzo

Post by Jasonzo »

Laszko wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:26 am Hi Welchan, Avoid brokers 🙅🏼‍♂️ If you’ve a chance go to any school directly, they’ll more likely to treat you like a client.
what Laszko says never never use a broker always book direct with school
haoscar2

Post by haoscar2 »

Hi Everyone, I am a new member as well. It has been a pleasure being part of this community. I have been sourcing the internet for various Driving Instructors and found this school.
https://www.bossdriving.co.uk/
this is in the chafford Hundred. Has anyone done something similar recently and what was your experience?
If anyone knows about the best Driving schools in Romford then help me.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”