Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Post Reply
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.
Travelled through 46 out of the 48 continental states.
Also covered some of Canada, Ontario, Montreal..
Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it 👍
Paudale
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:35 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Paudale »

How hard is it to get over there?
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Paudale wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:16 pm How hard is it to get over there?
You’ll need to get married or have immediate family members there mate.. Or 1 million dollars to invest in the country
Paudale
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:35 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Paudale »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:16 pm
Paudale wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:16 pm How hard is it to get over there?
You’ll need to get married or have immediate family members there mate.. Or 1 million dollars to invest in the country
aunty and uncle close enough?
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Paudale wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:17 pm
Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:16 pm
Paudale wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:16 pm How hard is it to get over there?
You’ll need to get married or have immediate family members there mate.. Or 1 million dollars to invest in the country
aunty and uncle close enough?
No mate has to be immediate family.. Parents or siblings
Paudale
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:35 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Paudale »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:17 pm
Paudale wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:17 pm
Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:16 pm

You’ll need to get married or have immediate family members there mate.. Or 1 million dollars to invest in the country
aunty and uncle close enough?
No mate has to be immediate family.. Parents or siblings
UK it is then 😂
Raworton
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:03 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Raworton »

my girlfriend is American, after how many years of marriage can I apply for a green card?
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Raworton wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:18 pm my girlfriend is American, after how many years of marriage can I apply for a green card?
You’ll get a green card soon after you get married which will be legal for 10 years. You have the option after 3 or 4 years to become an American citizen
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Raworton wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:18 pm my girlfriend is American, after how many years of marriage can I apply for a green card?
I assume you’re going to get married in usa?
Triolon
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:06 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Triolon »

I believe we have to re do a medical, theory and also pass the tests again is that right?
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Triolon wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:33 pm I believe we have to re do a medical, theory and also pass the tests again is that right?
Medical is easy. Yes you’ll need to do a walk around check with the examiner verbalizing what you’re looking at and what you’re looking for. Road signs are simple enough to learn but you’ll need to do a theory & practical test too.. To be fair it was all easy.
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Camerocy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:35 pm What’s the food like
Truck stop food mainly hot dogs, burgers etc.. Some have restaurants where you can get a steak. It all tasted the same after 6 months.
Lefteryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:36 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Lefteryo »

Do I need to pass a driving test to exchange my driving licence?
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Lefteryo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:37 pm Do I need to pass a driving test to exchange my driving licence?
Depends on what state you’re thinking of moving to? I went I Kentucky and they issued a driving license no questions asked. Still had to do CDL training tho go get the class 1.
Got a mate who moved to Florida in 2012, he had to do a practical test to get his car license and had to go through a training school to get his CDL even though he had is HGV from the uk.
Lefteryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:36 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Lefteryo »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:37 pm
Lefteryo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:37 pm Do I need to pass a driving test to exchange my driving licence?
Depends on what state you’re thinking of moving to? I went I Kentucky and they issued a driving license no questions asked. Still had to do CDL training tho go get the class 1.
Got a mate who moved to Florida in 2012, he had to do a practical test to get his car license and had to go through a training school to get his CDL even though he had is HGV from the uk.
Thanks
Jimnado
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:37 am

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Jimnado »

Lefteryo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:37 pm Do I need to pass a driving test to exchange my driving licence?
In Canada you just exchange regular license and have to redo truck one, some companies will pay you to resit
Lefteryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:36 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Lefteryo »

Jimnado wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:38 pm
Lefteryo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:37 pm Do I need to pass a driving test to exchange my driving licence?
In Canada you just exchange regular license and have to redo truck one, some companies will pay you to resit
Thanks
Kerrarus
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:54 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Kerrarus »

What was the matter with the other 2 states 🤔
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Kerrarus wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 pm What was the matter with the other 2 states 🤔
Didn’t drive through them. Was sleeping. (Used to team drive) So didn’t count them. Was only North & South Dakota anyways so didn’t miss much 😅
Kerrarus
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:54 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Kerrarus »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:41 pm
Kerrarus wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 pm What was the matter with the other 2 states 🤔
Didn’t drive through them. Was sleeping. (Used to team drive) So didn’t count them. Was only North & South Dakota anyways so didn’t miss much 😅
never been tempted to make up the full set?
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Kerrarus wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:41 pm
Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:41 pm
Kerrarus wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 pm What was the matter with the other 2 states 🤔
Didn’t drive through them. Was sleeping. (Used to team drive) So didn’t count them. Was only North & South Dakota anyways so didn’t miss much 😅
never been tempted to make up the full set?
Will do one day but in a car 👍
Georome
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:14 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Georome »

Kerrarus wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 pm What was the matter with the other 2 states 🤔
One is Alaska and other one Hawaii 🤦
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Georome wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:42 pm
Kerrarus wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 pm What was the matter with the other 2 states 🤔
One is Alaska and other one Hawaii 🤦
50 states in total pal. I said 46 out of the 48 Continental 👍
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Smelkonn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:43 pm Who'd you work for?
started off with covenant transport based out of Chattanooga Tennessee, then Mr P Express out of Jeffersonville Indiana, then a local company in Louisville named packaging unlimited, delivering boxes etc. so was home daily.
Smelkonn
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:17 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Smelkonn »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm
Smelkonn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:43 pm Who'd you work for?
started off with covenant transport based out of Chattanooga Tennessee, then Mr P Express out of Jeffersonville Indiana, then a local company in Louisville named packaging unlimited, delivering boxes etc. so was home daily.
I was there from 98 to 2010. Started off with Werner !!! Yeah, I know...., then I went to Arnold out of Jax & Atlanta.
Then I bought my own truck and stayed with Armold for a few more years.
I think US Express eventually bought them.
I did manage all lower 48 but not Alaska or Canada
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Smelkonn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm
Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm
Smelkonn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:43 pm Who'd you work for?
started off with covenant transport based out of Chattanooga Tennessee, then Mr P Express out of Jeffersonville Indiana, then a local company in Louisville named packaging unlimited, delivering boxes etc. so was home daily.
I was there from 98 to 2010. Started off with Werner !!! Yeah, I know...., then I went to Arnold out of Jax & Atlanta.
Then I bought my own truck and stayed with Armold for a few more years.
I think US Express eventually bought them.
I did manage all lower 48 but not Alaska or Canada
I almost went with Werner 😂 fair play are you owner operator here too?
Smelkonn
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:17 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Smelkonn »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm
Smelkonn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm
Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm

started off with covenant transport based out of Chattanooga Tennessee, then Mr P Express out of Jeffersonville Indiana, then a local company in Louisville named packaging unlimited, delivering boxes etc. so was home daily.
I was there from 98 to 2010. Started off with Werner !!! Yeah, I know...., then I went to Arnold out of Jax & Atlanta.
Then I bought my own truck and stayed with Armold for a few more years.
I think US Express eventually bought them.
I did manage all lower 48 but not Alaska or Canada
I almost went with Werner 😂 fair play are you owner operator here too?
No, I rarely drive these days. I went to Iraq in 2016 working in transportation on a military base.
In 2021 when our company lost the contract, I went to Lithuania for the same company and basically look after the logistics side of a base here.
Not sure how long I'll be here but if I come back to the UK permanently I guess I'll go back to driving. Not over keen on the prospect though
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Smelkonn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:45 pm
Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm
Smelkonn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm

I was there from 98 to 2010. Started off with Werner !!! Yeah, I know...., then I went to Arnold out of Jax & Atlanta.
Then I bought my own truck and stayed with Armold for a few more years.
I think US Express eventually bought them.
I did manage all lower 48 but not Alaska or Canada
I almost went with Werner 😂 fair play are you owner operator here too?
No, I rarely drive these days. I went to Iraq in 2016 working in transportation on a military base.
In 2021 when our company lost the contract, I went to Lithuania for the same company and basically look after the logistics side of a base here.
Not sure how long I'll be here but if I come back to the UK permanently I guess I'll go back to driving. Not over keen on the prospect though
impressive career 👍 You’re not missing much pal.
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Smelkonn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:45 pm
Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm
Smelkonn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm

I was there from 98 to 2010. Started off with Werner !!! Yeah, I know...., then I went to Arnold out of Jax & Atlanta.
Then I bought my own truck and stayed with Armold for a few more years.
I think US Express eventually bought them.
I did manage all lower 48 but not Alaska or Canada
I almost went with Werner 😂 fair play are you owner operator here too?
No, I rarely drive these days. I went to Iraq in 2016 working in transportation on a military base.
In 2021 when our company lost the contract, I went to Lithuania for the same company and basically look after the logistics side of a base here.
Not sure how long I'll be here but if I come back to the UK permanently I guess I'll go back to driving. Not over keen on the prospect though
had the opportunity to go to Alaska but turned it down as it would’ve taken 2 weeks in total. One of my biggest regrets looking back was not taking the run 🤦🏻‍♂️
Smelkonn
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:17 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Smelkonn »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:46 pm
Smelkonn wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:45 pm
Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:44 pm

I almost went with Werner 😂 fair play are you owner operator here too?
No, I rarely drive these days. I went to Iraq in 2016 working in transportation on a military base.
In 2021 when our company lost the contract, I went to Lithuania for the same company and basically look after the logistics side of a base here.
Not sure how long I'll be here but if I come back to the UK permanently I guess I'll go back to driving. Not over keen on the prospect though
had the opportunity to go to Alaska but turned it down as it would’ve taken 2 weeks in total. One of my biggest regrets looking back was not taking the run 🤦🏻‍♂️
We all have regrets in this industry. I had the opportunity of going on the Michael Jackson tour all over Russia and Finland many years back. I kind of regret that.
A friend of mine works in Alaska now, he helps build and repair the ice roads up north in Prudhoe Bay.
I thought about it as I keep my US passport up to date but financially, I'm better off here, and warmer 🙂
Stivimac
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:04 am

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Stivimac »

Was it good tho !! Like amazing
Boronne96
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:13 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Boronne96 »

Does the US have a Stobart version?
Terrilla
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:48 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Terrilla »

Boronne96 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:47 pm Does the US have a Stobart version?
yep swifts
Brandex
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:50 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Brandex »

Boronne96 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:47 pm Does the US have a Stobart version?
swift
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Boronne96 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:47 pm Does the US have a Stobart version?
SWIFT.. Aka
Sure
Wished
I
Finished
Training
Arlante
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:08 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Arlante »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:51 pm
Boronne96 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:47 pm Does the US have a Stobart version?
SWIFT.. Aka
Sure
Wished
I
Finished
Training
thought it was Stop Whining I'm Fu****g Trying
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Arlante wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:52 pm
Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:51 pm
Boronne96 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:47 pm Does the US have a Stobart version?
SWIFT.. Aka
Sure
Wished
I
Finished
Training
thought it was Stop Whining I'm Fu****g Trying
Hadn’t heard that but that’s class 🤣
Arlante
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:08 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Arlante »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:52 pm
Arlante wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:52 pm
Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:51 pm

SWIFT.. Aka
Sure
Wished
I
Finished
Training
thought it was Stop Whining I'm Fu****g Trying
Hadn’t heard that but that’s class 🤣
when I worked in Iraq for the Americans they told me
Arlante
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:08 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Arlante »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:52 pm
Arlante wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:52 pm
Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:51 pm

SWIFT.. Aka
Sure
Wished
I
Finished
Training
thought it was Stop Whining I'm Fu****g Trying
Hadn’t heard that but that’s class 🤣
hahaha
Boronne96
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:13 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Boronne96 »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:51 pm
Boronne96 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:47 pm Does the US have a Stobart version?
SWIFT.. Aka
Sure
Wished
I
Finished
Training
Haha superb.
Davirunn
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:20 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Davirunn »

Boronne96 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:47 pm Does the US have a Stobart version?
Swift
AnMister
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:56 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by AnMister »

In the us can you drive a artic with no trailer on a class 2 license also best sat nav?
Thewebix
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:28 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Thewebix »

AnMister wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:55 pm In the us can you drive a artic with no trailer on a class 2 license also best sat nav?
Only if you cover the 5th wheel
Hodnnai
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:21 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Hodnnai »

Thewebix wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:55 pm
AnMister wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:55 pm In the us can you drive a artic with no trailer on a class 2 license also best sat nav?
Only if you cover the 5th wheel
that’s a myth
CowleJo
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:14 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by CowleJo »

Did the old country roads take you home?
Thewebix
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:28 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Thewebix »

How many hours a day/week did you drive?
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Thewebix wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:59 pm How many hours a day/week did you drive?
11hrs driving daily on average.. Depending on where I was going. You only need to take 11 hour rest period to reset. Not like the uk with the 45hr / 24hr crap rule..
It was back in the days with a log book so you could get away with all sorts.. One time drove from Maine to Indiana, over 1100 miles.. As I didn’t wanna sleep in the truck another night! Stopped in Pennsylvania for fuel & food, logged an 11hr rest and carried on. That was a long day 🥴🤦🏻‍♂️
ShawZero
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:53 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by ShawZero »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:59 pm
Thewebix wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:59 pm How many hours a day/week did you drive?
11hrs driving daily on average.. Depending on where I was going. You only need to take 11 hour rest period to reset. Not like the uk with the 45hr / 24hr crap rule..
It was back in the days with a log book so you could get away with all sorts.. One time drove from Maine to Indiana, over 1100 miles.. As I didn’t wanna sleep in the truck another night! Stopped in Pennsylvania for fuel & food, logged an 11hr rest and carried on. That was a long day 🥴🤦🏻‍♂️
logbook was awesome I been doing Chicago-california-chicago in 5.5 days we drive non-stop
Georome
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:14 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Georome »

What’s the earnings like compared to UK
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Georome wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:00 pm What’s the earnings like compared to UK
Was averaging $1k a week but had to put the miles in to get that. Company would pay an extra $100 if the load had to go into New York due to the aggressive driving style and bad traffic.
Georome
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:14 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Georome »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:01 pm
Georome wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:00 pm What’s the earnings like compared to UK
Was averaging $1k a week but had to put the miles in to get that. Company would pay an extra $100 if the load had to go into New York due to the aggressive driving style and bad traffic.
Cheers, no better than uk then
Andriessi83
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:57 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Andriessi83 »

How did the license change work
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Andriessi83 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:02 pm How did the license change work
Swapped car license no problem. Had to attend CDL school to obtain class 1. Different states have different laws so depends on where you want to go.
Richio
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:02 am

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Richio »

Which state was most dangerous to stay night out? 😉
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Richio wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:03 pm Which state was most dangerous to stay night out? 😉
one night i feared for my life in Baltimore, Maryland… Went through the “hood” around 2am on a weeknight with a trailer full of fridge freezers from G.E in Louisville. It was like 2pm on a Saturday afternoon in London. Never seen so many people mostly carrying guns and all staring at the truck driving through 🥴
Nowarder
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:12 am

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Nowarder »

I went into a truckstop in Nevada and was surprised to find cheap prices, a barber shop, a launderettes and a better shower system. Definitely looks like drivers are looked after over there. Plus trucks are huge.
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

Nowarder wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:04 pm I went into a truckstop in Nevada and was surprised to find cheap prices, a barber shop, a launderettes and a better shower system. Definitely looks like drivers are looked after over there. Plus trucks are huge.
most Truckers live on the road so it helps if you can get a trim and a decent shower. Used to get a free shower credit if you fueled up more than 150 Gallons. Not sure what the limit is nowadays.
Guerreio
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:06 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Guerreio »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:04 pm
Nowarder wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:04 pm I went into a truckstop in Nevada and was surprised to find cheap prices, a barber shop, a launderettes and a better shower system. Definitely looks like drivers are looked after over there. Plus trucks are huge.
most Truckers live on the road so it helps if you can get a trim and a decent shower. Used to get a free shower credit if you fueled up more than 150 Gallons. Not sure what the limit is nowadays.
180
JoeMind
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:32 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by JoeMind »

In which state were you shot at most?
Dan2faas
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by Dan2faas »

JoeMind wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:07 pm In which state were you shot at most?
Let’s just say I’m happy to not be doing it anymore over there 👉
JoeMind
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:32 pm

Re: Hi, Feel free to ask questions if you’re thinking of trying it Ok so I drove Trucks in USA around 2004 / 2009.

Post by JoeMind »

Dan2faas wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:07 pm
JoeMind wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:07 pm In which state were you shot at most?
Let’s just say I’m happy to not be doing it anymore over there 👉
I suppose the experience would be great 👍
Post Reply

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest