Hi, my husband recently passed his driving test and is looking to go to the HGV bootcamp, he’s applied this week

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Emily4ch

Hi, my husband recently passed his driving test and is looking to go to the HGV bootcamp, he’s applied this week

Post by Emily4ch »

Hi, my husband recently passed his driving test and is looking to go to the HGV bootcamp, he’s applied this week for a few, will he be accepted if he has only passed his driving test because it does state novice can join? Many thanks 🙂.
Brookinn

Re: Hi, my husband recently passed his driving test and is looking to go to the HGV bootcamp, he’s applied this week

Post by Brookinn »

They’re all fully booked and out of funding
Emily4ch

Re: Hi, my husband recently passed his driving test and is looking to go to the HGV bootcamp, he’s applied this week

Post by Emily4ch »

Brookinn wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:33 pm They’re all fully booked and out of funding
I don’t think that’s true because you can still
Apply and it runs to November.
Brookinn

Post by Brookinn »

Emily4ch wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:34 pm
Brookinn wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:33 pm They’re all fully booked and out of funding
I don’t think that’s true because you can still
Apply and it runs to November.
my email inbox says different. I have emailed every single provider on the list.
Benllec

Post by Benllec »

Took me 3 months of consent applying and getting in contact regular with Them.. Please be aware they are 16 weeks Long
Emily4ch

Post by Emily4ch »

Benllec wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:36 pm Took me 3 months of consent applying and getting in contact regular with Them.. Please be aware they are 16 weeks Long
hi Benllec, how many days of the week for 16 weeks? As he currently employed for 3 nights
Benllec

Post by Benllec »

Emily4ch wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:37 pm
Benllec wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:36 pm Took me 3 months of consent applying and getting in contact regular with Them.. Please be aware they are 16 weeks Long
hi Benllec, how many days of the week for 16 weeks? As he currently employed for 3 nights
each company have different rules
LukeBull

Post by LukeBull »

I thought you had to be driving for a minimum of 2 years before applying for an hgv license?
Emily4ch

Post by Emily4ch »

LukeBull wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:38 pm I thought you had to be driving for a minimum of 2 years before applying for an hgv license?
hmm I checked and it just said 19 and over and have a car license?
Jamerino

Post by Jamerino »

LukeBull wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:38 pm I thought you had to be driving for a minimum of 2 years before applying for an hgv license?
you can have a hgv license at 18 years old now.
Valenum

Post by Valenum »

Nope, I got my car licence 5 months before passing my HGV. Applied for the provisional 2 months after passing my car test
Sweenfie

Post by Sweenfie »

Not sure how. I did my theory off my own back then was told I wasn't eligible. The boot camps are for people who only have the provisional entitlement and nothing more.
Tonyie

Post by Tonyie »

Far better off self funding. The bootcamps are heavily oversubscribed with funding been long since spent with most providers and very long wait times with the rest. Then there's the 16 week course length.... Self funded I went from provisional entitlement application to test date within 6 weeks.
Emily4ch

Post by Emily4ch »

Tonyie wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:40 pm Far better off self funding. The bootcamps are heavily oversubscribed with funding been long since spent with most providers and very long wait times with the rest. Then there's the 16 week course length.... Self funded I went from provisional entitlement application to test date within 6 weeks.
unfortunately don’t have that type of money to do it.
Tonyie

Post by Tonyie »

Emily4ch wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:40 pm
Tonyie wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:40 pm Far better off self funding. The bootcamps are heavily oversubscribed with funding been long since spent with most providers and very long wait times with the rest. Then there's the 16 week course length.... Self funded I went from provisional entitlement application to test date within 6 weeks.
unfortunately don’t have that type of money to do it.
many people save over a number of years to do it. Alternatively you could look at a 0% credit card.
Joneraff

Post by Joneraff »

bloody hell for me application to test day was about 6 months 😂
TBelland

Post by TBelland »

I started with the driver academy last week and only applied the week before, so they are still offering places I think. But to get any driving job you need road experience, I do t think he would get much work without much driving experience
Emily4ch

Post by Emily4ch »

TBelland wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:43 pm I started with the driver academy last week and only applied the week before, so they are still offering places I think. But to get any driving job you need road experience, I do t think he would get much work without much driving experience
yeah thank you, that what I was thinking too, but on the bootcamp skills website it doesn’t say anything about experience.
TBelland

Post by TBelland »

Emily4ch wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:43 pm
TBelland wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:43 pm I started with the driver academy last week and only applied the week before, so they are still offering places I think. But to get any driving job you need road experience, I do t think he would get much work without much driving experience
yeah thank you, that what I was thinking too, but on the bootcamp skills website it doesn’t say anything about experience.
that’s okay no worries. I don’t think you need any driving experience to get a class 1 or 2 licence but he may struggle finding work, but the bootcamp companies do say they will find you work when you pass, so no harm in trying. This is the company website I’m with so no harm in giving it ago, someone should contact you in a day or 2 if you are accepted.
https://www.hgv.academy/
Clampro

Post by Clampro »

Get used to driving a car first.
Emily4ch

Post by Emily4ch »

Clampro wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:44 pm Get used to driving a car first.
yeah true he’s a quick learner, he just really wants to get into the industry as the boot camps are funded, there is no harm in trying. Lol.
Armstro

Post by Armstro »

Emily try this link to find a local training centre near you.
https://www.gov.uk/training-hgv/driving-schools
Armstro

Post by Armstro »

I got on one, already done my lgv theory and hazard perception. I'm earning full time and they accepted me. The one I went with only started in January so they are not out of funding. Just need to be aware there'll be 2 people in 1 wagon with an instructor.
Emily4ch

Post by Emily4ch »

Armstro wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:46 pm I got on one, already done my lgv theory and hazard perception. I'm earning full time and they accepted me. The one I went with only started in January so they are not out of funding. Just need to be aware there'll be 2 people in 1 wagon with an instructor.
thanks Armstro, did you find the process easy?
Armstro

Post by Armstro »

Emily4ch wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:47 pm
Armstro wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:46 pm I got on one, already done my lgv theory and hazard perception. I'm earning full time and they accepted me. The one I went with only started in January so they are not out of funding. Just need to be aware there'll be 2 people in 1 wagon with an instructor.
I failed my 1st test. Passed my second. It was a little disorganized as they were a mew setup. But couldn't fault the instructors. And every scope is different. A lot of good schools get bootcamp and dwp students. As long as the learner is willing to learn its totally doable. And it's all free so we'll worth trying. If you fail you'll get a retest.
Armstro

Post by Armstro »

Emily4ch wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:47 pm
every school sorry not scope!!
Mariano82

Post by Mariano82 »

I think the job centre or Citizens Advice could tell you about driving courses HGV LGV and various
Keninfo

Post by Keninfo »

I'm all for fast tracking hgv drivers but I think you should have at least 2 years experience in a car before being let loose on anything bigger
Benllec

Post by Benllec »

Keninfo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:48 pm I'm all for fast tracking hgv drivers but I think you should have at least 2 years experience in a car before being let loose on anything bigger
back on the day you could go straight to arctic with no car license at all you had to show 2 L plates together.
Keninfo

Post by Keninfo »

Benllec wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:49 pm
Keninfo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:48 pm I'm all for fast tracking hgv drivers but I think you should have at least 2 years experience in a car before being let loose on anything bigger
back on the day you could go straight to arctic with no car license at all you had to show 2 L plates together.
yeah a double L, passed my hgv late 80's but traffic and weights have changed a lot since then, and back then I'd have been dubious to go straight to hgv
Benllec

Post by Benllec »

Keninfo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:49 pm
yeah a double L, passed my hgv late 80's but traffic and weights have changed a lot since then, and back then I'd have been dubious to go straight to hgv
very good point!
Valenum

Post by Valenum »

Benllec wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:50 pm
Keninfo wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:49 pm

very good point!
Talking of your comment, Benllec, it was harder to drive a class 1 back then and all. No power steering, no air suspension, not automatic gearboxes...
Driving a wagon now is easier than ever...if you've got the patience to deal with the extra traffic and idiots on the road that is
Porteam

Post by Porteam »

Try pertemps academy and gold star they have had adds in last few days advertising hgv training programs
PeterHi

Post by PeterHi »

New car licence and thinks let’s drive an hgv? Zero road experience but wants to drive the biggest thing on the road? Get in a van for dpd or likewise, build road experience and they’ll probably put through licence. Too many inexperienced car drivers let alone in wagon
Emily4ch

Post by Emily4ch »

PeterHi wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:53 pm New car licence and thinks let’s drive an hgv? Zero road experience but wants to drive the biggest thing on the road? Get in a van for dpd or likewise, build road experience and they’ll probably put through licence. Too many inexperienced car drivers let alone in wagon
please don’t be so judgmental he’s 29 and has had experience for over 3 years driving but with Covid couldn’t book he’s test but thanks for your advice 🤓
PeterHi

Post by PeterHi »

Emily4ch wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:53 pm
PeterHi wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:53 pm New car licence and thinks let’s drive an hgv? Zero road experience but wants to drive the biggest thing on the road? Get in a van for dpd or likewise, build road experience and they’ll probably put through licence. Too many inexperienced car drivers let alone in wagon
please don’t be so judgmental he’s 29 and has had experience for over 3 years driving but with Covid couldn’t book he’s test but thanks for your advice 🤓
best to get onto local agencies or small companies then, I’m not trying to downplay people but to drive an artic or rigid then experience is needed in a car, things like keeping it rolling towards roundabouts to keep acceleration and being able to use that magic crystal ball when people don’t indicate till the last second will help. Wish him all the best and good luck in sorting it out
Keanity22

Post by Keanity22 »

your first post stated recently passed now your saying 3 years experience, that's slightly different, I wouldn't encourage anyone to go straight to hgv who is inexperienced on the road
Emily4ch

Post by Emily4ch »

Keanity22 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:54 pm
your first post stated recently passed now your saying 3 years experience, that's slightly different, I wouldn't encourage anyone to go straight to hgv who is inexperienced on the road
Yeah he passed 2 weeks ago, he had some experience in a car from 2019 on and off onwards with Covid restrictions and lockdowns, I was only asking about the boot camps and that’s your opinion but by law he can straight into it if he wants. Thanks
Keanity22

Post by Keanity22 »

PeterHi wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:54 pm
best to get onto local agencies or small companies then, I’m not trying to downplay people but to drive an artic or rigid then experience is needed in a car, things like keeping it rolling towards roundabouts to keep acceleration and being able to use that magic crystal ball when people don’t indicate till the last second will help. Wish him all the best and good luck in sorting it out
yeah did that ,drove a van for newey and ayre about ' 86 passed hgv 89 drove a 4 wheeler then 8 wheel tipper long before I went to drive class 1, I felt that was the right way
Valenum

Post by Valenum »

Bad decisions are made by drivers of all types and it's not a lack of experience that causes the biggest issues on the road, it's a combination of complacency, over-confidence (both in one's own ability and in the vehicle they're driving) and poor judgement. Theses things get worse the longer someone has been driving, not better.
If anything, a driver that is inexperienced is likely to be more cautious and more courteous. I'm backing him all the way!
Keanity22

Post by Keanity22 »

Valenum wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:56 pm

Bad decisions are made by drivers of all types and it's not a lack of experience that causes the biggest issues on the road, it's a combination of complacency, over-confidence (both in one's own ability and in the vehicle they're driving) and poor judgement. Theses things get worse the longer someone has been driving, not better.
If anything, a driver that is inexperienced is likely to be more cautious and more courteous. I'm backing him all the way!
sorry don't agree, experience goes a long way and counts for a lot ,passing your test means you have reached a suitable standard, after that you're journey begins, reading the road and a sixth sense knowing what others are going to do before they do it isn't something you don't pick up in a class room, a good geographic knowledge all come with experience, I know you have to start somewhere, some are slightly blinded by talk of mega wages while others grew up wanting this path not just a job but a way of life
Valenum

Post by Valenum »

Keanity22 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:57 pm

sorry don't agree, experience goes a long way and counts for a lot ,passing your test means you have reached a suitable standard, after that you're journey begins, reading the road and a sixth sense knowing what others are going to do before they do it isn't something you don't pick up in a class room, a good geographic knowledge all come with experience, I know you have to start somewhere, some are slightly blinded by talk of mega wages while others grew up wanting this path not just a job but a way of life
Partly agree. Passing your test means you have reached a certain, suitable standard. Now, would you say that most people who passed their test say 5 years ago, stay at that same standard, exceed that standard or drop below that standard?
So many drop below that standard that it proves that experience is not always a good thing.
No issue with him building experience in a. Class 1 as long as he has common sense and uses his head
Keanity22

Post by Keanity22 »

Valenum wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:57 pm

Partly agree. Passing your test means you have reached a certain, suitable standard. Now, would you say that most people who passed their test say 5 years ago, stay at that same standard, exceed that standard or drop below that standard?
So many drop below that standard that it proves that experience is not always a good thing.
No issue with him building experience in a. Class 1 as long as he has common sense and uses his head
agree to a point, complacency and over confidence can set in but in my experience I have learnt to read the road and other drivers which a newbie would struggle, good luck to anyone passing class 1 but passing both in a relatively short time frame could be a recipe for disaster
Valenum

Post by Valenum »

Keanity22 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:58 pm

agree to a point, complacency and over confidence can set in but in my experience I have learnt to read the road and other drivers which a newbie would struggle, good luck to anyone passing class 1 but passing both in a relatively short time frame could be a recipe for disaster
You're right, it could be a recipe for disaster or he could turn out to a fantastic driver, only time will tell.
Yes reading the road is crucially important. It's actually easier to read the road in a class 1 than it is a car or van or at least I find it is anyway.
But TBF, if you're taking it easy, as a novice should be doing anyway, it gives more time to react to something that hasn't been anticipated so I think he will be alright.
2 months between been passing my car test and applying for provisional HGV but what with learning and taking the theory, getting me medical and all the rest of it, it was 5 months before I actually passed my test. That said, if I could've done all within the first month, I would've. Was gutted when they said I had to wait 3 weeks for my class 2 licence to come back before I could start the class 1 course. Thought I could do two weeks back to back 😩
Keanity22

Post by Keanity22 »

Valenum wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:58 pm

You're right, it could be a recipe for disaster or he could turn out to a fantastic driver, only time will tell.
Yes reading the road is crucially important. It's actually easier to read the road in a class 1 than it is a car or van or at least I find it is anyway.
But TBF, if you're taking it easy, as a novice should be doing anyway, it gives more time to react to something that hasn't been anticipated so I think he will be alright.
2 months between been passing my car test and applying for provisional HGV but what with learning and taking the theory, getting me medical and all the rest of it, it was 5 months before I actually passed my test. That said, if I could've done all within the first month, I would've. Was gutted when they said I had to wait 3 weeks for my class 2 licence to come back before I could start the class 1 course. Thought I could do two weeks back to back 😩
good luck to anyone going into the profession, my only concern is the promise of a grand a week at the end, these jobs aren't frequent and I'd reckon have many clauses, for me back when I was young like others it was all I wanted to do not that the roads were paved with gold
Valenum

Post by Valenum »

Keanity22 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:59 pm
Valenum wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:58 pm

good luck to anyone going into the profession, my only concern is the promise of a grand a week at the end, these jobs aren't frequent and I'd reckon have many clauses, for me back when I was young like others it was all I wanted to do not that the roads were paved with gold
Took me to 6 years to find of those. 6 years of a tenner an hour and the odd week of £5.80 an hour.
Agency has the best rates. Esp on fuel. Car transporters are top money. Now I'm working in fuel, finally found a guy who pays me what I feel I'm worth but it certainly did not come overnight
Valenum

Post by Valenum »

I've got no information that can help you I'm afraid but your husband has my full support!
Everybody, regardless of whether they've had their licence 40 years or 40 hours, everybody was a learner once and everybody had zero experience once.
Why not get the experience in a class 1? If he can do it, he can do it. There will be no bad habits he has picked up, no complacent or over confident attitude and it should be easier for him to get used to swinging the wheel around the other way to reverse because he hasn't had enough time to get rooted in the habit of doing it the other way yet.
Personally, if you can drive a wagon, you can drive a wagon and it matters not if you've been doing it for 30 years or 30 days.
Added bonus, when he comes to apply for jobs, they will ask (first question) how long you've had your HGV for. They won't ask, not ever how long you've had your car licence for! (Although if he gets offered a job, he'll have to show his licence of course and someone eagle eyed might notice but they might not, and at that point it's too late anyway 🙌🏾)
Sorry I can't help with any information but the best of luck to him!
AdeConn

Post by AdeConn »

he won't last a day or two most without even car experience. he won't even pass the hgv
CliffJim

Post by CliffJim »

Should not be allowed to go straight for LGV test just after passing car test with no experience at all in haulage industry not alone road experience. Go find a job as a drivers mate and build your experience and knowledge up that way you will get on far better and be more experienced 👍
Alfient

Post by Alfient »

You’ll be very unlikely to actually find a job… I was a bus driver for six years, held my driving license for over 13 years and I struggled to find a job after passing my class 1.
There’s a million different jobs you can do, get some experience driving under your belt first before trying to get behind the wheel of one of the biggest vehicles on the road. You have a lot of responsibility under your right foot.
Dannych

Post by Dannych »

Alfient wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:01 pm You’ll be very unlikely to actually find a job… I was a bus driver for six years, held my driving license for over 13 years and I struggled to find a job after passing my class 1.
There’s a million different jobs you can do, get some experience driving under your belt first before trying to get behind the wheel of one of the biggest vehicles on the road. You have a lot of responsibility under your right foot.
I've had my class 1 13 years now never used it as cant get experience, when you say to people got no experience they look at you like you're cracked
Alfient

Post by Alfient »

Dannych wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:02 pm
Alfient wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:01 pm You’ll be very unlikely to actually find a job… I was a bus driver for six years, held my driving license for over 13 years and I struggled to find a job after passing my class 1.
I've had my class 1 13 years now never used it as cant get experience, when you say to people got no experience they look at you like you're cracked
Have you actually read the original post, as person doesn’t have any experience driving a car, not class one lol
Dannych

Post by Dannych »

Alfient wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:02 pm
Dannych wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:02 pm
Have you actually read the original post, as person doesn’t have any experience driving a car, not class one lol
Best way to do it, I had my car license 3 weeks before I did my PCV at 18, I didn't even have a car when I passed my bus test 😂

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”