Hi all, I’m in the process of learning to drive class 1 coming from just a car licence. I’ve done 2 days so far out

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Ryancz+Web

Hi all, I’m in the process of learning to drive class 1 coming from just a car licence. I’ve done 2 days so far out

Post by Ryancz+Web »

Hi all, I’m in the process of learning to drive class 1 coming from just a car licence. I’ve done 2 days so far out of 10 (test on the 10th day) at first I was looking forward to it and expected the training would be great. However I’m finding my instructor is constantly shouting at me and the other girl who is learning with me. I know the instructor knows best, but first day I’m out on the road never haven driven anything this size before and he is shout shout shouting at me whilst I’m massively trying to concentrate on the road and what’s around me. Do you people think this is normal and the correct way to teach someone? He’s really putting me under serious pressure and it’s completely put me off doing it, to the point I’m thinking about not going back.
Personally I think when on the road I’m actually going an alright job given I’ve only been doing it 2 days. Definitely have a lot of practising with the reversing but I’m sure that will come (maybe with a different instructor)
Any help much appreciated
50coryonecti

Re: Hi all, I’m in the process of learning to drive class 1 coming from just a car licence. I’ve done 2 days so far out

Post by 50coryonecti »

My instructor was the same all stick no carrot
First time pass tho so the system must work
Ryancz+Web

Re: Hi all, I’m in the process of learning to drive class 1 coming from just a car licence. I’ve done 2 days so far out

Post by Ryancz+Web »

50coryonecti wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:09 pm My instructor was the same all stick no carrot
First time pass tho so the system must work
I guess it maybe does. But at the moment it just feels like I can’t even listen to what he’s saying because I’m too busy keeping my eye on the road.
JACKY_RENE

Post by JACKY_RENE »

I definitely did not have my trainer shout at me and in my opinion it's wrong and he shouldn't be doing it. Have you paid him all the money for the training?
Ryancz+Web

Post by Ryancz+Web »

JACKY_RENE wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:10 pm I definitely did not have my trainer shout at me and in my opinion it's wrong and he shouldn't be doing it. Have you paid him all the money for the training?
yes mate had to pay it all up front. And it was a lot of money. I feel like it’s all constantly negative with him and as I said it’s completely put me off doing it. There is a senior instructor at the place I’m doing it so I may ask if he can take me instead. Thing is they only have the one class 1 lorry and I’ve booked the time off my current job using up all the holidays I had left.
JACKY_RENE

Post by JACKY_RENE »

Ryancz+Web wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:10 pm
JACKY_RENE wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:10 pm I definitely did not have my trainer shout at me and in my opinion it's wrong and he shouldn't be doing it. Have you paid him all the money for the training?
yes mate had to pay it all up front. And it was a lot of money. I feel like it’s all constantly negative with him and as I said it’s completely put me off doing it. There is a senior instructor at the place I’m doing it so I may ask if he can take me instead. Thing is they only have the one class 1 lorry and I’ve booked the time off my current job using up all the holidays I had left.
that's unfortunate, only thing I can suggest is speaking to him nicely and asking him to stop yelling all the time as its distracting you. Or like you say ask the other guy, do you know if they have any refund policy. Problem is you have book holiday from work and paid upfront so its a pain in the ass. Most places won't give you the money back.
killFamous

Post by killFamous »

Ryancz+Web wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:10 pm
do you not have any kind of debrief at the end of your drive?
MICHAELLY

Post by MICHAELLY »

if you feel uncomfortable change the instructor your paying alot of money to do the training my instructor was the same first time pass 2 minors and they weren't driving faults either
99joerition

Post by 99joerition »

I had the same type of guy doing my class 1 but in the end he did know better an all that shouting stayed with me on my test an did everything properly cuz he was always pointing out even the silliest of things like mirror check when lorry passes he really knocked my confidence so I understand but I did pass with only 1 minor stick at it its only 10 days then you can drive how you like
86_hawknico

Post by 86_hawknico »

Walk away change the DH its your money your paying for a service re being taught
Ryancz+Web

Post by Ryancz+Web »

86_hawknico wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:12 pm Walk away change the DH its your money your paying for a service re being taught
but I’ve paid them the money up front or I would definitely be walking away. If I can get my money back or most of it even I will definitely be walking away. Just don’t think the guy is being very professional at all
86_hawknico

Post by 86_hawknico »

Ryancz+Web wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:13 pm
86_hawknico wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:12 pm Walk away change the DH its your money your paying for a service re being taught
but I’ve paid them the money up front or I would definitely be walking away. If I can get my money back or most of it even I will definitely be walking away. Just don’t think the guy is being very professional at all
Then go over his head and a formal complaint to his boss then ask for your money back all in writing
VANCasual

Post by VANCasual »

Ryancz+Web wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:13 pm
make it clear to him that you are paying them and he needs to ease up you'll be making a formal complaint
reesWitha

Post by reesWitha »

When i was learning i found my instructor to be calm, clear and perfectly reasonable. However the guy that did the assessment i found he had this technique where he spent all morning pulling me down and the afternoon building me back up. Didn't care for his style of training that much.
Ryancz+Web

Post by Ryancz+Web »

reesWitha wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:14 pm When i was learning i found my instructor to be calm, clear and perfectly reasonable. However the guy that did the assessment i found he had this technique where he spent all morning pulling me down and the afternoon building me back up. Didn't care for his style of training that much.
I was hoping that my instructor would be a bit more like yours. Calm and clear and definitely more professional
MacieSuper

Post by MacieSuper »

Lucky enough my instructor was calm and relaxed
Throughout the whole experience, he got even calmer when he found out I had been driving buses and coaches for 7 years previous. If your not happy change instructor. As everyone else has said your money!
GARETHOM11

Post by GARETHOM11 »

He isnt teaching you how to drive. You should already know the rules of the road etc
His teaching you how to gain a vocational licence. He doesn't want you to hit anything. Just drive as u would a car but pay respect to length and width
Ryancz+Web

Post by Ryancz+Web »

GARETHOM11 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:16 pm He isnt teaching you how to drive. You should already know the rules of the road etc
His teaching you how to gain a vocational licence. He doesn't want you to hit anything. Just drive as u would a car but pay respect to length and width
yes mate I get that and driving cars/vans I defo consider myself a good driver. I’m calm no road rage or anything like that. But this guy is beeping the lorry horn like made at other drivers on the road, shouting and swearing every 2 minutes. He’s completely knocking my confidence all the time. Maybe I expected the whole experience to be different to what I am currently experiencing but I still just not sure if this is the normal way to try and teach someone how to drive these things
GARETHOM11

Post by GARETHOM11 »

Ryancz+Web wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:16 pm
GARETHOM11 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:16 pm He isnt teaching you how to drive. You should already know the rules of the road etc
yes mate I get that and driving cars/vans I defo consider myself a good driver. I’m calm no road rage or anything like that. But this guy is beeping the lorry horn like made at other drivers on the road, shouting and swearing every 2 minutes. He’s completely knocking my confidence all the time. Maybe I expected the whole experience to be different to what I am currently experiencing but I still just not sure if this is the normal way to try and teach someone how to drive these things
report him
Ryancz+Web

Post by Ryancz+Web »

daviDaphne wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:17 pm What training school you using
would rather not say just now mate not wanting to name and shame at this time
99joerition

Post by 99joerition »

Ryancz+Web wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:17 pm
just say the area lol
daviDaphne

Post by daviDaphne »

I was with one just off South Street in Glasgow. Me and another boy was out together. A had experience before goin other boy had never driven anything except a car. Instructor was constantly shouting at him. But was calm and relaxed with me. He said to the other boy. That he was shouting as what he was doing was dangerous. As soon as the boy started taking it on board he calmed and was fine with him. And boy said he didn't like him shouting but it worked
Ryancz+Web

Post by Ryancz+Web »

daviDaphne wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:19 pm
I was with one just off South Street in Glasgow. Me and another boy was out together. A had experience before goin other boy had never driven anything except a car. Instructor was constantly shouting at him. But was calm and relaxed with me. He said to the other boy. That he was shouting as what he was doing was dangerous. As soon as the boy started taking it on board he calmed and was fine with him. And boy said he didn't like him shouting but it worked
I do get he’s got to keep everyone safe. But what works for some people doesn’t always work for others and in this case it’s defo not working for me. It’s just putting huge amounts of pressure on me when I’m already trying my best to concentrate on driving the lorry
ronnExpert

Post by ronnExpert »

Complain. Change as soon as possible. Had an abusive ignorant instructor and failed. Along with the other three he trained that month.
We all complained of his behaviour. Never got feedback but hopefully he was sacked. Horrible experience.
Good luck 👍🏻
COLINGiggly

Post by COLINGiggly »

Oh no not one of those types 🤦🏻‍♂️ I had that. Left and found a better training school. Shouting may work for some but for others it’s not the way to do it.
66seancept

Post by 66seancept »

Had this where the instructor I had was military like ended up going to Castle and a more pleasurable atmosphere in which I passed eventually
HARRY_VOD

Post by HARRY_VOD »

The difficulty with training in HGV is the trainer has no controls so only has his voice to keep everyone safe. So at times you do need to raise voice depending on how safety critical the situation is.
But that said shouting is not the best way of training. It sounds like you need more time to stop and discuss any issues before carrying on. So that you understand the good things your doing and the not do good things that need more work.
The HGV training Industry, the opposite of learning in a car, has no compulsory regulation at all. The trainer just needs to have held their licence for 3 years. In my opinion there needs more regulation and training to ensure trainers have better skills to help train people not just to pass the test but prepare them for a life alone on the road. Personally I like it to be relaxed and calm in the vehicle when I train. Positives are as important as things that need to improve.
Stick with it and try not to take the negativity to heart. I run a training school (cars, HGV & minibus) if you want a chat or any advice about your difficulties feel free to drop me a pm and I will be happy to talk things through with you to help if I can.
tomHerald

Post by tomHerald »

You need to speak to who ever owns the school. I hated my first instructor. Pretty much the same Being shouted at at times. Just not my kind of person. I failed my class 2 and went elsewhere. Instructor was brilliant. Calm when I made a mistake and was just a pleasant person. It’s a lot of money YOU’RE PAYING and if your instructor is an arse then it’s not on. End of the day not everybody gets along in this world and maybe you just clash. Try and sort it asap as it’s a lot of money to start again elsewhere.
Ryancz+Web

Post by Ryancz+Web »

tomHerald wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:21 pm You need to speak to who ever owns the school. I hated my first instructor. Pretty much the same Being shouted at at times. Just not my kind of person. I failed my class 2 and went elsewhere. Instructor was brilliant. Calm when I made a mistake and was just a pleasant person. It’s a lot of money YOU’RE PAYING and if your instructor is an arse then it’s not on. End of the day not everybody gets along in this world and maybe you just clash. Try and sort it asap as it’s a lot of money to start again elsewhere.
cheers mate I think that’s what I’m going to need to do.
tomHerald

Post by tomHerald »

Ryancz+Web wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:22 pm
tomHerald wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:21 pm You need to speak to who ever owns the school. I hated my first instructor. Pretty much the same Being shouted at at times. Just not my kind of person. I failed my class 2 and went elsewhere. Instructor was brilliant. Calm when I made a mistake and was just a pleasant person. It’s a lot of money YOU’RE PAYING and if your instructor is an arse then it’s not on. End of the day not everybody gets along in this world and maybe you just clash. Try and sort it asap as it’s a lot of money to start again elsewhere.
cheers mate I think that’s what I’m going to need to do.
good luck mate and hope you get it sorted. Best thing I did was change schools but cost me another £1300 but I regret nothing and love the job now. Well most days I do. Shit days are horrible 🤣😂
CARLINFO.01

Post by CARLINFO.01 »

I had this when I passed my car in 2007 my first instructor was rude and aggressive, I ended up changing and passing with an old fella who passed my moms friend
higgsWigs

Post by higgsWigs »

A good instructor does not shout…
I’ve been a hgv/pcv driver instructor for over 17 yrs
And only once had to raise my voice to a trainee..
And that’s because they chose not to react to the command that was given (dangerous situation occurring)
Your training should be calculated and progressive
From spacial awareness and vehicle operation thought to the road rules and how they apply to you
If the instructor shouts
This instantly puts a barrier between the both of you
And will impact on your learning…
I’d request a change of instructor in that situation
Instructors are there to mentor
Not bully…
And better results are to be had from mentoring than bullying
I’ve trained thousands of people
And some are still on my Fb
You can ask any to vouch about what good instruction is all about 👍🏻
72.chrispost

Post by 72.chrispost »

This is definitely not right, it's really important to be calm when driving any LGVs, my instructors were very calm, clear and firm if needed and always professional. If the instructor is shouting, is it because your not listening and the instructor is required to repeat themselves to the point of frustration, if so show the instructor that you are listening by demonstrating through your driving what they are explaining, in any event you need to remain calm and professional.
Ryancz+Web

Post by Ryancz+Web »

72.chrispost wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:24 pm This is definitely not right, it's really important to be calm when driving any LGVs, my instructors were very calm, clear and firm if needed and always professional. If the instructor is shouting, is it because your not listening and the instructor is required to repeat themselves to the point of frustration, if so show the instructor that you are listening by demonstrating through your driving what they are explaining, in any event you need to remain calm and professional.
it’s mainly shouting about mirrors even though I’m in my mirrors every couple of seconds and he still shouts about them. I don’t mind him being firm and if he feels he needs to shout at times then I totally get that. But to me it just feels like it’s constantly shouting or moaning about stuff that I feel I’m actually doing quite well. I just think he is not very professional at all
72.chrispost

Post by 72.chrispost »

Ryancz+Web wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:24 pm
72.chrispost wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:24 pm This is definitely not right, it's really important to be calm when driving any LGVs, my instructors were very calm, clear and firm if needed and always professional. If the instructor is shouting, is it because your not listening and the instructor is required to repeat themselves to the point of frustration, if so show the instructor that you are listening by demonstrating through your driving what they are explaining, in any event you need to remain calm and professional.
it’s mainly shouting about mirrors even though I’m in my mirrors every couple of seconds and he still shouts about them. I don’t mind him being firm and if he feels he needs to shout at times then I totally get that. But to me it just feels like it’s constantly shouting or moaning about stuff that I feel I’m actually doing quite well. I just think he is not very professional at all
mirrors is one of the major + minor fails in the test, you need to physically turn your head around all the mirrors to demonstrate to the examiner that you are checking your mirrors, next lesson, try exaggerating your head movements in line with your mirror checking so that your demonstrating to the trainer/examiner that you are checking, remember it should be every 10s, I remember getting a stiff kneck after my lessons, hope this helps and good luck 👍
PHIChrome

Post by PHIChrome »

Did mine with EP Training in Surrey absolutely top guys if anyone is looking
88jimmarin

Post by 88jimmarin »

Get a new instructor ASAP. All shouty driving instructors do is erode and destroy confidence. They are in the wrong career.
Gaz_Kenji

Post by Gaz_Kenji »

This is definitely not ok for the instructor to do this
stev.agent

Post by stev.agent »

No. I had one guy like that. I flunked that course. For the Re-Test I had a few private lessons with another instructor. 2nd guy had a good balance of positive reinforcement and telling you where to improve. His calming manner made me much more able to concentrate and focus. I passed with the 2nd guy.
I've done a lot of skills training over the years : motorbikes, sailing, flying. No instructor should be losing control like that....
TamBrace

Post by TamBrace »

I’m an RTITB NRI instructor. I can honestly say that you get nothing from shouting at people. There’s enough going on already to be shouting. I get loads of comments on how laid back I am. It’s because you need to create a comfortable environment for the student. Shouting causes problems between the student and the instructor and will cause a breakdown in communication.
Ryancz+Web

Post by Ryancz+Web »

TamBrace wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:26 pm I’m an RTITB NRI instructor. I can honestly say that you get nothing from shouting at people. There’s enough going on already to be shouting. I get loads of comments on how laid back I am. It’s because you need to create a comfortable environment for the student. Shouting causes problems between the student and the instructor and will cause a breakdown in communication.
this is what I was expecting before I started. A decent laid back instructor who was calm. What I’ve got is pretty much the opposite. And it’s completely put me off and made me feel very uncomfortable
TamBrace

Post by TamBrace »

Ryancz+Web wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:27 pm
TamBrace wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:26 pm I’m an RTITB NRI instructor. I can honestly say that you get nothing from shouting at people. There’s enough going on already to be shouting. I get loads of comments on how laid back I am. It’s because you need to create a comfortable environment for the student. Shouting causes problems between the student and the instructor and will cause a breakdown in communication.
this is what I was expecting before I started. A decent laid back instructor who was calm. What I’ve got is pretty much the opposite. And it’s completely put me off and made me feel very uncomfortable
can you complain to your training provider ? Maybe get another instructor?
Ryancz+Web

Post by Ryancz+Web »

TamBrace wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:27 pm
I’d need to go over his head and speak to the owner of the company. Tbh I’d rather not go back to the company at all as it’s just not been a good experience.
TamBrace

Post by TamBrace »

Ryancz+Web wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:28 pm
TamBrace wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:27 pm

I’d need to go over his head and speak to the owner of the company. Tbh I’d rather not go back to the company at all as it’s just not been a good experience.
well, if you’re not happy mate, tell them. Is your hard earned money paying for it. You could also ask him to stop shouting, he might not realize he’s doing it
wallCONFIDENT

Post by wallCONFIDENT »

I got shouted at quite a lot, especially if scraping the tyres against the curb or veering into the right hand lane. When I drove well he praised me but his constant picking actually helped on my test day. I felt like you, when he shouted I would then make compounded mistakes and took it to heart. He said, don't dwell on the mistake and move on. If they don't tell you, you will probably make the same mistakes again. I only did 25 hours over 5 days and that included the CPC mod 4 training and exam and passed class 1 first time. On the actual test I was more relaxed as I didn't have anyone shouting at me 😂. Thing thing is I remembered everything he taught me. So in hindsight I think he did a pretty darn good job 👍
12.phbettisme

Post by 12.phbettisme »

It's your money, ask for a different instructor
FFERRISON

Post by FFERRISON »

I felt the same.... Knocked my confidence. However on test day when I sat in on my own with the examiner it all flowed! And I felt like it all made sense. It's probably not for everyone!
77eamove

Post by 77eamove »

I was the exact same 5 mths ago
I went from car to class 1 and I was on a 8 day course.
My instructor was a total 🔔end and was not great, very aggressive to other road users etc, after my 4th day I complained and was moved to another instructor and he was brilliant and I passed first time, I had learned that the first instructor was only there with the driving school a few wks B4 I done it and he was not with the driving school very long after as lots of pupils were complaining about his training technique, so speak up.
ChrisSmug

Post by ChrisSmug »

Never been shouted at by an instructor on my test. But he did test me which was the best tactic. Made me open my eyes and kept me focused. Passed me first go. Couldn’t thank the guy enough for the training. Personally it’s not professional to shout. Only on exceptional circumstances
KHANLinkin

Post by KHANLinkin »

Fair play to any instructor, I couldn’t do it. I’m laid back and calm and would teach in that way as that’s how I like to be taught. But it’s the not having full control that puts me off 😂
JepWave

Post by JepWave »

You want solo instruction not double, your instructor has no right to shout at you. Change driving training company.
Ryancz+Web

Post by Ryancz+Web »

JepWave wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:34 pm You want solo instruction not double, your instructor has no right to shout at you. Change driving training company.
I would have preferred solo. But double make the company much more money. I’m not sure I can change now as I’ve already paid them my money for it
JepWave

Post by JepWave »

Ryancz+Web wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:35 pm
JepWave wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:34 pm You want solo instruction not double, your instructor has no right to shout at you. Change driving training company.
I would have preferred solo. But double make the company much more money. I’m not sure I can change now as I’ve already paid them my money for it
I would have insisted on solo, the amount you pay, you should get the instructor's full attention.
96mabboss

Post by 96mabboss »

S**k it up and just get passed that’s all that matters. In life you got to deal with 🛎 ends to move on and forget about them just learn as much as possible and take positive. There is so much to learn even when you passed ( I have been driving 18 months)
GaryPower

Post by GaryPower »

My advice is when you get into the lorry think big dont think it's like driving a car nothing like it wider longer higher so compensate all those things if he is shouting at you you cannot be concentrating enough try and calm down and think lorry not a car it will get easier. ‼‼
WHITTNESS

Post by WHITTNESS »

Tbh I had the same with with a driving school in Wallasey in Birkenhead.
Owner of the school was useless at training.
I walked away but I didn't pay it in full.
I trained with WS Sherburn Lgv
Excellent trainers!
Passed first time.
tinsTinman

Post by tinsTinman »

It's not normal. It's a reflection on the instructor, rather than you. I had a change of instructor after the reversing phase of training. After 10hrs on the road with the new instructor, I was ready for my test.
KERROccur

Post by KERROccur »

I hear a lot of horror stories from my students about previous instructors that have constantly shouted at them. I hate it. There is no need for it and it doesn’t help anyone. Learners are a already stressed out enough there’s no need for the instructor to be a dick. It is absolutely not the way I and many others teach.
You have to say something to the company because that type of behavior is not on.
greggenet_23

Post by greggenet_23 »

STOP!!!!!! report the guy n claim back your time I had similar instructor was absolutely rubbish wasted 20hrs of my time while I should've been driving, got to test 10 mins late n had an absolute mare , retest with 1hr lesson is £450+ so catching up is a long expensive game
TaffSpyder

Post by TaffSpyder »

My trainer was Brill, so calm and explained everything in a calm and relaxed manner. 1st time pass, so it worked.
2franksay

Post by 2franksay »

My trainer shouted and screamed throughout my 8 days training didn’t like it but I got no minors and passed first time just gotta take it on the chin

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”