How hard is it to drive a rigid after only having driven artic in training? Seems crazy to me. We won’t put you in

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
MattxMatzo

Re: How hard is it to drive a rigid after only having driven artic in training? Seems crazy to me. We won’t put you in

Post by MattxMatzo »

Liin_Henry wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:31 pm Class 2 is not easy if you doing multi drop more than 3 to 4 drops but most of the companies they ask to do like donkey 15 drops a day
it's all work
MattxMatzo

Re: How hard is it to drive a rigid after only having driven artic in training? Seems crazy to me. We won’t put you in

Post by MattxMatzo »

Liin_Henry wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:31 pm Class 2 is not easy if you doing multi drop more than 3 to 4 drops but most of the companies they ask to do like donkey 15 drops a day
It's not the transport companies that don't want you it's the insurance companies.
8vassierynx

Post by 8vassierynx »

Take your trailer off then drive your unit down the road. Then you can say you have drive a rigged 🤷🏻‍♂️ it’s just a unit with no trailer.
wilsonment48

Post by wilsonment48 »

I think it's best to class 2 before you go onto class 1 just my opinion
iannPark33

Post by iannPark33 »

I went car to class 1 and was working on agency 2 days after passing and haven't been out of work since. I have driving 8 wheel hook loaders too very weird to drive compared to an artic but it's not hard.
markess.man

Post by markess.man »

iannPark33 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:39 pm I went car to class 1 and was working on agency 2 days after passing and haven't been out of work since. I have driving 8 wheel hook loaders too very weird to drive compared to an artic but it's not hard.
when did you first start with the agency? Probably at the Hight of the driver shortage I suspect.
iannPark33

Post by iannPark33 »

markess.man wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:40 pm
iannPark33 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:39 pm I went car to class 1 and was working on agency 2 days after passing and haven't been out of work since. I have driving 8 wheel hook loaders too very weird to drive compared to an artic but it's not hard.
when did you first start with the agency? Probably at the Hight of the driver shortage I suspect.
March 2022
iannPark33

Post by iannPark33 »

took a lot of phone calls and signing up with all the bs agency's I could find within 50 miles but when I found the one I used they sent me out that night and I got a good review from the company they sent me to so they gave me work constantly until I left in November for a fulltime role
markess.man

Post by markess.man »

iannPark33 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:42 pm
took a lot of phone calls and signing up with all the bs agency's I could find within 50 miles but when I found the one I used they sent me out that night and I got a good review from the company they sent me to so they gave me work constantly until I left in November for a fulltime role
That was the Hight of the driver shortage. The shortage is clearly over from what I’ve seen.
Hoylesizar_Pod

Post by Hoylesizar_Pod »

markess.man wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:42 pm

That was the Hight of the driver shortage. The shortage is clearly over from what I’ve seen.
there’s never been a shortage, just road haulage association plus government misinformation to flood the market to drive wages down
kingMan09

Post by kingMan09 »

I went to an agency first 😊
iannPark33

Post by iannPark33 »

t was already over tbf
09alinizoun

Post by 09alinizoun »

I went car to class 1....was finding it hard to get work.. But I've got a job driving class 2 and I love it.. I tramp all week and learning all the time.. Ridged is just like driving a big car with a better view 🤣😉good luck
COXuseddy

Post by COXuseddy »

All I can say Mate it’s be persistent. I passed my test before it was allowed to do car to C+E so I took my C first and my C+E 4 months later. During this time I worked part time on Class 2 and after passing my Class 1 I have been on it ever since. Had the chance to jump in a rigid meantime and I found it harder than the Class 1.
Reading the comments I can see you are based in London… I just moved here from Scotland and I have 1 year experience… London it’s a different ball game. Had my first incident on my second week. Trying to squeeze and queue on a small street to deliver at the back of a shop caught the corner of my trailer in between the metal bollard of the gate and the bollard of a street sign… and this was the result!
Up to you what you want to do and I recommend Idrive as an agency. They take on new starts and they will start you on Class 2, if you want.
Best of luck!
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (71.28 KiB) Viewed 497 times
markess.man

Post by markess.man »

COXuseddy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:48 pm All I can say Mate it’s be persistent. I passed my test before it was allowed to do car to C+E so I took my C first and my C+E 4 months later. During this time I worked part time on Class 2 and after passing my Class 1 I have been on it ever since. Had the chance to jump in a rigid meantime and I found it harder than the Class 1.
Reading the comments I can see you are based in London… I just moved here from Scotland and I have 1 year experience… London it’s a different ball game. Had my first incident on my second week. Trying to squeeze and queue on a small street to deliver at the back of a shop caught the corner of my trailer in between the metal bollard of the gate and the bollard of a street sign… and this was the result!
Up to you what you want to do and I recommend Idrive as an agency. They take on new starts and they will start you on Class 2, if you want.
Best of luck!
Yeah, I think I need to register with more agencies.
trukkerConn

Post by trukkerConn »

Its always been this way needed 2 year experience when I got mine but how u supposed to get it when they won't give u a chance its crazy really but u need to do whatever u can to get it try small companies who do container work or something like this they sometimes give u a go might b crap work but its a start or even recovery work that's how I got mine
MANNIORCH03

Post by MANNIORCH03 »

Its just the way it is unfortunately most are 2 years if your in the northwest try AKW Trafford park. Do a couple of months on nights then you can do what you want days or tramping
andosco.Rap

Post by andosco.Rap »

I’m looking to do the practical test only for class 1 anyone know the cheapest places to look at? Thanks
markess.man

Post by markess.man »

andosco.Rap wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:51 pm I’m looking to do the practical test only for class 1 anyone know the cheapest places to look at? Thanks
The cheapest can end up the most expensive. I went with a place that was advertising £2200 but due to crap instruction and premises, there was a very high fail rate there. Ended up costing £4600. I think if I had gone with a more professional company I would have passed first time.
andosco.Rap

Post by andosco.Rap »

markess.man wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:51 pm
andosco.Rap wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:51 pm I’m looking to do the practical test only for class 1 anyone know the cheapest places to look at? Thanks
The cheapest can end up the most expensive. I went with a place that was advertising £2200 but due to crap instruction and premises, there was a very high fail rate there. Ended up costing £4600. I think if I had gone with a more professional company I would have passed first time.
Ano that’s the thing I have about 2k saved but I’m probably gonny need to take a loan I think 🤔
markess.man

Post by markess.man »

andosco.Rap wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:52 pm
Ano that’s the thing I have about 2k saved but I’m probably gonny need to take a loan I think 🤔
I took a loan. I recommend 2 Start training.
andosco.Rap

Post by andosco.Rap »

markess.man wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:52 pm
andosco.Rap wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:52 pm

I took a loan. I recommend 2 Start training.
ok mate thank you will have a look
H.Heyyson

Post by H.Heyyson »

depends where you are tbf as there is probably 100's of training companies out there. The company I used was top notch and has high pass rate from the second I enquired too this day still friends and if I have any problems questions even now after passing 6 Yr ago I can send a text and will get an answer. Friend for life. for me and many people in the area they would recommend them and even has people travel the country too him. Look the up on fb of you want if you local I used Truck school Swindon
andosco.Rap

Post by andosco.Rap »

H.Heyyson wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:54 pm
depends where you are tbf as there is probably 100's of training companies out there. The company I used was top notch and has high pass rate from the second I enquired too this day still friends and if I have any problems questions even now after passing 6 Yr ago I can send a text and will get an answer. Friend for life. for me and many people in the area they would recommend them and even has people travel the country too him. Look the up on fb of you want if you local I used Truck school Swindon
its a nightmare I’m live in Scotland but would be willing to travel for the period I need to train and pass but I’m thinking I may need to take finance out have about 2k saved I was hoping that would be enough
H.Heyyson

Post by H.Heyyson »

andosco.Rap wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:54 pm
H.Heyyson wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:54 pm
its a nightmare I’m live in Scotland but would be willing to travel for the period I need to train and pass but I’m thinking I may need to take finance out have about 2k saved I was hoping that would be enough
Look him up his paul names top bloke theirs hotels near by I unfortunately failed my hazard perception every other test was passed first time especially my practical and mods.
vinceRinse

Post by vinceRinse »

Class 2 should be easier if you can drive class 1.
kirboxin.69

Post by kirboxin.69 »

In all fairness and without being disrespectful you have no experience in a class1 and the risk to the company is less in a class 2 ridged but if you keep looking there are company's that will give you a chance I drove class2 tippers and hooklifts for 10years before doing my class1 and got a class 1 Job with in days of passing some will take a risk but most won't
markess.man

Post by markess.man »

kirboxin.69 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:57 pm In all fairness and without being disrespectful you have no experience in a class1 and the risk to the company is less in a class 2 ridged but if you keep looking there are company's that will give you a chance I drove class2 tippers and hooklifts for 10years before doing my class1 and got a class 1 Job with in days of passing some will take a risk but most won't
Does driving class 2 prepare you for class 1?
kirboxin.69

Post by kirboxin.69 »

markess.man wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:58 pm
kirboxin.69 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:57 pm In all fairness and without being disrespectful you have no experience in a class1 and the risk to the company is less in a class 2 ridged but if you keep looking there are company's that will give you a chance I drove class2 tippers and hooklifts for 10years before doing my class1 and got a class 1 Job with in days of passing some will take a risk but most won't
I think it does help a lot but that's only my opinion
markess.man

Post by markess.man »

kirboxin.69 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:58 pm
markess.man wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:58 pm
I think it does help a lot but that's only my opinion
Then that’s fair enough and I’m happy to start at the bottom. I was thinking that class 2 experience wouldn’t make any difference so better to go into class 1 what I’ve been practicing in.
andosco.Rap

Post by andosco.Rap »

I come from a bus driving background which I hope does help once I start driving so class 2 wouldn’t be an issue for me I don’t think but I take your point companies may look at this
markess.man

Post by markess.man »

andosco.Rap wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:00 pm
I come from a bus driving background which I hope does help once I start driving so class 2 wouldn’t be an issue for me I don’t think but I take your point companies may look at this
From my experience so far, I recommend just doing class 2. Class one is a waste of money as nobody will let you drive class 1 without experience anyway.
andosco.Rap

Post by andosco.Rap »

markess.man wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:00 pm
andosco.Rap wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:00 pm
From my experience so far, I recommend just doing class 2. Class one is a waste of money as nobody will let you drive class 1 without experience anyway.
Thank you for the advice mate appreciated
HANNGolden

Post by HANNGolden »

No experience and you expect a company to trust you with a unit and trailer.
Sounds like you're looking for special treatment
markess.man

Post by markess.man »

HANNGolden wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:01 pm No experience and you expect a company to trust you with a unit and trailer.
Does driving a rigid prepare you for a class 1?
HANNGolden

Post by HANNGolden »

markess.man wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:02 pm
HANNGolden wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:01 pm No experience and you expect a company to trust you with a unit and trailer.
yes mate 100%.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (186.39 KiB) Viewed 459 times
markess.man

Post by markess.man »

HANNGolden wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:03 pm
yes mate 100%.
Is that a sarcastic yes? Or I does prepare you?
HANNGolden

Post by HANNGolden »

markess.man wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:03 pm

yes mate 100%.
The driver of this truck was carrying water.
Straight to class 1 no experience. Most mistakes you make in a class 2 you get away with. In my experience I'm glad I had drove class 2 for years because the experience is vital
HANNGolden

Post by HANNGolden »

yes mate 100%.
if I remember rightly he tipped that around 23mph. M40 Cherwell Valley exit.
HANNGolden

Post by HANNGolden »

yes mate 100%.
100% when out on your own
sales+simply

Post by sales+simply »

Oh no.
You learn on a Scania articulate and they dare to give you Volvo and rigid.
What's wrong with this world 😭🌎 people.......
Lebony.Xinn

Post by Lebony.Xinn »

Why u don't look into a shunting position until u get an idea how to reverse om bays and etc?, Then u can jump i think to class 1, but a class 1 is not any different than a class 2, in general is more fun to drive, u usually get a good space in cab in class 1 while a rigid will have a seat and that's it
35_rdsemmi

Post by 35_rdsemmi »

I think they want to see you can handle a decent size truck before giving you the extra responsibility but it's true once your used to a class 1 going around a small roundabout in a 26t can make you look/feel like a idiot 🤣
markess.man

Post by markess.man »

GleachMoff wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:07 pm A larger version of a van
Do you think driving a rigid helps prepare you for class 1?
GleachMoff

Post by GleachMoff »

markess.man wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:08 pm
GleachMoff wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:07 pm A larger version of a van
Do you think driving a rigid helps prepare you for class 1?
I think it will. I've got some experience of both via friends and though watching trucking vlogs
VicomnettAsp

Post by VicomnettAsp »

The class 2 is just a big van so easier to find jobs, the bendy truck jobs tend to like a little experience. Take a class 2 and keep applying for class 1 something will turn up

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”