Hi, Anyone had any experience with DX? I passed my class 1, 11th May an agency got me work with DX. The van was

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
iannPark33

Hi, Anyone had any experience with DX? I passed my class 1, 11th May an agency got me work with DX. The van was

Post by iannPark33 »

Hi, Anyone had any experience with DX? I passed my class 1, 11th May an agency got me work with DX. The van was loaded. They gave me the keys and paper work. They expected me to deliver 19 pallets and I'm a new driver. Didn't have any training what so ever. Didn't show me delivery's in order. My 1st drop was 1 hour away and my second drop was 1 hour away from the first. I tried to find the shortest distance from drops but it tuck time. When I got back to yard I was 15 mins from my drive time.
shaunicon21

Re: Hi, Anyone had any experience with DX? I passed my class 1, 11th May an agency got me work with DX. The van was

Post by shaunicon21 »

Sounds about right for Agency Work to be honest mate, thrown straight in no fu#ks given.
Lukellar_18

Re: Hi, Anyone had any experience with DX? I passed my class 1, 11th May an agency got me work with DX. The van was

Post by Lukellar_18 »

shaunicon21 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:35 pm Sounds about right for Agency Work to be honest mate, thrown straight in no fu#ks given.
basically 🤣
Gough.MON

Post by Gough.MON »

That's about right with agencies. You will get better at it but the main thing is you succeeded.
32blancines

Post by 32blancines »

Wow, thrown in at the deep end! But you got all the drops done and didn’t run out of time. Big win 😎😎
jefferusly01

Post by jefferusly01 »

Sounds like a normal day on agency..
Seems like your moaning here, and there’s defo lads who will just get on with the job.. It seems you don’t want the work really
To get back on your first day with what sounds like a hard day is well enough
OAKJeans

Post by OAKJeans »

jefferusly01 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:38 pm Sounds like a normal day on agency..
Seems like your moaning here, and there’s defo lads who will just get on with the job.. It seems you don’t want the work really
his new, did you forget this?
ASHONIXIR

Post by ASHONIXIR »

OAKJeans wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:39 pm
jefferusly01 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:38 pm Sounds like a normal day on agency..
not their problem, they asked the agency for a driver, they expect someone who can come in and get on with it.
jefferusly01

Post by jefferusly01 »

okay? And there’s plenty new drivers out there who will get on with the job without moaning on Facebook..
Yes he should have got abit of training and yes maybe they should have shown him a few things before leaving although it’s not mandatory but 1 hour drive to the first drop is Standard..
OAKJeans

Post by OAKJeans »

jefferusly01 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:44 pm
okay? And there’s plenty new drivers out there who will get on with the job without moaning on Facebook..
Yes he should have got abit of training and yes maybe they should have shown him a few things before leaving although it’s not mandatory but 1 hour drive to the first drop is Standard..
there you go, "Yes he should have got abit of training and yes maybe they should have shown him a few things before leaving". exactly his point
jefferusly01

Post by jefferusly01 »

OAKJeans wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:44 pm

there you go, "Yes he should have got abit of training and yes maybe they should have shown him a few things before leaving". exactly his point
but moaning about it isn’t gonna get him anywhere is it?
Agency are normally the last people to get training & most of the agency that get called in get sent straight out…
Like I said moaning isn’t gonna get anybody anywhere
iannPark33

Post by iannPark33 »

jefferusly01 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:45 pm

Agency are normally the last people to get training & most of the agency that get called in get sent straight out…
I'm not moaning about it wanted to know if anyone has had experience with DX that's all. You should say my first day at work congratulations I got all the drops done and back at yard.
jefferusly01

Post by jefferusly01 »

iannPark33 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:45 pm

I'm not moaning about it wanted to know if anyone has had experience with DX that's all. You should say my first day at work congratulations I got all the drops done and back at yard.
see the first comment, I said to get back on your first day is hard enough.
lee.blacken

Post by lee.blacken »

jefferusly01 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:46 pm

he did have the training that's why he passed his licence a month ago, yes I agree would have been nice to tell you your route and order of delivery, but then you'll never learn anything by your self
iannPark33

Post by iannPark33 »

lee.blacken wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:47 pm

he did have the training that's why he passed his licence a month ago, yes I agree would have been nice to tell you your route and order of delivery, but then you'll never learn anything by your self
I passed on 11th May my job before passing was a shuttle bus driver. No experience what so ever.
derekennyTD

Post by derekennyTD »

iannPark33 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:47 pm
lee.blacken wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:47 pm

I passed on 11th May my job before passing was a shuttle bus driver. No experience what so ever.
thanks for post I brand new n come on here to see what's really involved posts like this are invaluable and help others immensely stick with it mate n thanks for the heads up, shame some have to go out their way to be negative n moan about people moaning?? If its not relevant to you scroll on!!
PATVulture

Post by PATVulture »

I didn’t read it as a moan. Just describing his day. Is it any different to chatting to your mates about what a day you’ve had?
BRADDraven

Post by BRADDraven »

ok MR know it all with no Hussle whatsoever
wrightvo46

Post by wrightvo46 »

Sorry to say but this is a reality. A company will contact a agency asking them to supply a driver, some will ask for an experienced driver others will accept anyone. They are expecting a qualified driver to turn up and deliver the workload they need covered. Tbh it’s not their responsibility to train you, your agency needs to step up and provide whatever you require but naturally most won’t because it will cost them money
weardayAut

Post by weardayAut »

wrightvo46 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:50 pm Sorry to say but this is a reality. A company will contact a agency asking them to supply a driver, some will ask for an experienced driver others will accept anyone. They are expecting a qualified driver to turn up and deliver the workload they need covered. Tbh it’s not their responsibility to train you, your agency needs to step up and provide whatever you require but naturally most won’t because it will cost them money
wrong every worker should be trained to a reasonable standard from company regardless if agency or ft
wrightvo46

Post by wrightvo46 »

weardayAut wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:50 pm
wrightvo46 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:50 pm Sorry to say but this is a reality. A company will contact a agency asking them to supply a driver, some will ask for an experienced driver others will accept anyone. They are expecting a qualified driver to turn up and deliver the workload they need covered. Tbh it’s not their responsibility to train you, your agency needs to step up and provide whatever you require but naturally most won’t because it will cost them money
wrong every worker should be trained to a reasonable standard from company regardless if agency or ft
I believe more training should be carried out by driving school not just enough to pass the test
weardayAut

Post by weardayAut »

wrightvo46 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:51 pm
weardayAut wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:50 pm
I believe more training should be carried out by driving school not just enough to pass the test
Why the dr8ving school teach you to pass your test companies should offer training it's a legal requirement
BillyzeMAN

Post by BillyzeMAN »

you sound like your new at alot of this tbh, one thing to be new at the driving, but surely you would have had experience in other areas of the industry? atleast enough to know what happens on a delivery. agencies rarely train, its a show and go. dona good job they’ll get you work. dont and your on the dole
Thaed+Play

Post by Thaed+Play »

Dale Wriggles Kilgallon this in your yard 😀😀
yewenHiro

Post by yewenHiro »

All delivered back within driving hours. = good day. As it’s your 1st that = great day.
ukiEssence

Post by ukiEssence »

I felt this on my first day too with Agency but u will appreciate this 6months down the line lol
GODY_CRETE

Post by GODY_CRETE »

My first ever day was similar. Started at 5am. Thrown the keys. Went from 6 or 7 drops to double that during the loading of the truck. No clue where I was going. Parked up down a dead end side road near a supermarket for my first 15 and was that terrible at reversing it took me ages to shunt my way out when there was loads of room. Carried on with the day. Customers phoning and complaining I was late to them. Then I broke down on clacton high street during peak rush hour! Got resolved. Finished my last couple of delivers. Got back to the yard at 18:00. Couldn’t reverse into the bay for ages. All the store staff harassing me to hurry up and unload so they could lock up and go home. And all this was with Cat C!
I honestly felt like I had made a big mistake and wondered if I had made the right choice. Stuck with it. Got better. Gained the experience and now I’m a instructor, sharing those experiences.
Stick with it mate. You’ll have worse days than that and you’ll some really great days. Don’t let it get to you.
Nicker.cobb

Post by Nicker.cobb »

Sorry if this was your first experience of truck driving, its not all like that.
Not sure why a few are not being understanding of your situation here but if comments are not usefull or respectful I may remove them. Please remember this group isnt like other trashy groups.
Don't let this day put you off, remember you have been trained to pass a test to drive the truck the rest you'll now need to pick up and this could take years. I'm 24 years in and while my lessons don't come every day, I still learn new things.
I hate multidrop and won't be pressured or rushed, I did a shift via agency for LYNX years ago. 51 drops plus a load of deliveries. Off I went came back 15 hours later and managed about 20. I'd been driving car transporters for 6 years at that point.
Don't worry, learn from it, move on.
okta.Brilliant

Post by okta.Brilliant »

Take abit of time to plan your route always helps
Might take 15 mins but your get that back in saved time
Also sometimes their delivery order is not as good as you can do yourself
Hope that helps stick at it
Will get easier
2crainaryho

Post by 2crainaryho »

I work for a pallet network company, and sometimes my route is planned out where I’m going past drops to another drop so I take it upon myself to do the drop im going past first( all depends on how it’s unloaded and where on the vehicle it is loaded) don’t always go by the manifest, find a way that helps you. The company I work for is in Stafford, and I deliver around Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire so sometimes I have 1-1.5 hrs drive in between drops it’s the norm tbh mate but if your struggling don’t be afraid to ask for training or help
DARRTracker

Post by DARRTracker »

That's part of the job. If you have a license and are capable of driving a HGV truck you shouldn't need to be babied and cuddled all day.
KrisPriceless

Post by KrisPriceless »

Rigid multi drop work for you mate, s***e but good experience non the less, you know your hourly paid so best to just crack on and don’t worry about anything just see what you can do, I did it for years and hated it some days, other days it’s great keeps your mind going rather than being the steering wheel attendant. If it’s not your cup of tea try another sector? All great experience though mate 👍🏽
twamOlympic

Post by twamOlympic »

So you completed your run. Job done ✔️ It will be easier next time
vincentos.34

Post by vincentos.34 »

Take your time and don’t be bothered how many deliveries you need to do. Main thing is doing your job safely and get home in one piece. DONT RUSH. Companies always put more on agency drivers.
M.Masonco

Post by M.Masonco »

https://getcircuit.com/
install circuit app on your phone, will plan your route
RUtherNot

Post by RUtherNot »

Thats agency work. My first day was the same. Chucked in at the deep end but i didn't expect anything different.
meyerexopTagz

Post by meyerexopTagz »

This is what lorry driving is all about your a professional driver now it's not all about driving shiny trucks that's how you get experience learn and get on with it. It will get easier. ‼‼
NELLSONDO

Post by NELLSONDO »

Sounds about a par day we have all had it if its on its gone, i did parcel force you have to load deliver then doo collections shit job then unload back at depo, multi drop is awful but seams your expecting easy lifre
iannPark33

Post by iannPark33 »

NELLSONDO wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:02 pm Sounds about a par day we have all had it if its on its gone, i did parcel force you have to load deliver then doo collections shit job then unload back at depo, multi drop is awful but seams your expecting easy lifre
harder the work the better experience I think
skinned_zinn

Post by skinned_zinn »

Been on numerous jobs all you get is
KEYS
RUN SHEET
Training even at a very basic level is often absent and done in the we’ll tell you when you do it wrong method
🤦🏼🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼🤷‍♀️
SebesCent

Post by SebesCent »

Well done for getting it all done.👍🏻
Please don’t let a shocker of a day like that get you down. My first ever shift was horrible for a few reasons (whole different story!) but it was my second that convinced me I couldn’t do it and I actually didn’t drive a class 1 for a few years after. It was a shift for Tesco out of Didcot. I had 1 store. I managed to get there ok but it took me about 45 minutes to reverse onto the loading dock. I just couldn’t do it.
(How I managed to fluke my test I’ll never know but on the day it was perfect, in the practice I couldn’t do it at all - I was shocking and I was convinced I was going to fail. I just couldn’t get my head around how it worked.)
I was so ashamed, embarrassed and disheartened. It was awful. After that I just stuck carried on with rigids.
However, a few years later I needed to earn decent money so I signed up with an agency. I told them I couldn’t reverse and they were not worried at all. They had some trucks on site and gave me some training. They way that guy explained it made sense and it everything clicked into place. Don’t get me wrong, initially I was still 💩 but it improved daily with practice and experience.
I even delivered to the same store a few years later and it’s a very easy delivery. I really was just clueless!!🤣
We all have days we’d like to forget.
You should be proud of the fact you got the job done.
There are many different types of work out there, what suits one won’t suit another.
Personally, I’d hate multi drop like that yet others thrive on it and that’s ok.
You’ll soon find what you like and in the mean time it’s all experience.
Like Nicker.cobb said, you were trained to pass your test, you are now learning your trade. Try not to let it stress you out, it will get better. We were all newbies once upon a time.
You’ll be fine.👍🏻👍🏻
jamitemTX

Post by jamitemTX »

Bravo fella it will get easier..... just keep going. Im 5months in, its been a fucking steep learning curve for sure but the freedom of it.... i love it. I go to work with a smile on my face and while im driving. Its frigging awesome 😎🤟 w
With time you'll feel more confident. Confident to plan, confident with the driving, confident with maneuvering and also to engage with the other drivers. Get chatting to them, ask'em about the drops what to expect... pick their knowledge.
At my place I've asked about certain places, what the site/yard set ups are like and their procedures, if there's anything to be mindful of on route like perhaps satnav taking me down a dodgy route etc. All the drivers at my place av been legend's. Happy that you took the time out to chat with them and ask their opinion, advice, 99.5% of the time they're all happy to help.
hanso.canso

Post by hanso.canso »

D.X are not a good company did class 1 on a few of there sites and the supervisors are mouthy and unpleasant bad atmosphere on each depot most drivers steer clear of this company they are the bottom of the barrel to work for look elsewhere better companies out there
Angellow32

Post by Angellow32 »

Sounds like the planners done a cracking job there, fully utilized your day 👍
KayDiaram

Post by KayDiaram »

Ask the right questions get the right answers, plan your route before departure
31.fleticom

Post by 31.fleticom »

Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Your be fine. Day 1 is done look forward to day 2. You've got experience on day 1. Don't defeat before you start. Do it your way. Your be fine. Get it on get it done
SimoundHyper

Post by SimoundHyper »

I have seen an artic driver deliver an envelope once

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”