Got a quandary. Would you leave a 42hr a week contracted full time none HGV job to go to an agency class 1 job that

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
825-thommicr

Re: Got a quandary. Would you leave a 42hr a week contracted full time none HGV job to go to an agency class 1 job that

Post by 825-thommicr »

There’s no security in agency work. For a bump that tiny, stay where you are.
Unless you’re concerned about the stability of your current job and employer!
Payn-Smarter

Re: Got a quandary. Would you leave a 42hr a week contracted full time none HGV job to go to an agency class 1 job that

Post by Payn-Smarter »

Answered your own question really. Agencies by the very nature of their business are in general, very unreliable. It's your risk, but if you're in need of a regular income on which to budget your life, I'd personally stick with what's guaranteed.
vaugBBase

Post by vaugBBase »

I went from full time agency to full time job.
Doing less hour per a day and I guarantee a wage now. With agency I ended up losing on average £300 a week. Agency work this year is crazy more downs than ups. I would stay where u are unless u taking full time not agency
johnoob812

Post by johnoob812 »

Sp.Simonce wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:50 pm Stay where you are
good advice for yourself. 😂
THompiese

Post by THompiese »

Stay where you are the grass is never greener especially if you’re going to an agency they will just switch you on and off they won’t do you any favours
wayn3kyne

Post by wayn3kyne »

I work on agency because it suits me.
I wouldn't work on agency if I needed to earn a specific amount a week to pay my bills.
BRALGEON

Post by BRALGEON »

Most agencies are lying scum. I would stick withe the steady work.
doylee5st

Post by doylee5st »

"They say" isnt guaranteed. Pros and Cons to both.
Knigen813

Post by Knigen813 »

Think you’ve answered your own question there
adm-sureame

Post by adm-sureame »

Lol you answered your own question agencies are out for them selves I'd stay put until a proper job turns up
AlanQWalker

Post by AlanQWalker »

Unless you absolutely hate your current job and it's damaging your mental health stay where you are. Unless you are prepared to cover any shift going agency work has massive ups and downs. Good luck
Sp.Simonce

Post by Sp.Simonce »

I wouldn't mate, agency work is difficult and no mater what they tell you, your just going to be holiday cover for people at this time...
It's really hit and miss driver...
JONNiNGZO

Post by JONNiNGZO »

I think you answered own question
nhick.enzor

Post by nhick.enzor »

Stay where you are and if anything just do 1 day if you can for agency as over time
Roybruit814

Post by Roybruit814 »

Stay where you are..regular work..and money..
chivy_one

Post by chivy_one »

No way as agency will stop and start you they say they will give you full time work but they don’t I did 10 years on the agency but I was very lucky to always have work most don’t
DiDonoven

Post by DiDonoven »

The grass isn’t always greener but you have to decide for yourself.
But me personally I wouldn’t
rhys6ante

Post by rhys6ante »

No mate agency are full of false promises
rhys6ante

Post by rhys6ante »

Agencies are modern day slave traders
PaupShard

Post by PaupShard »

in my experience i would stop where you are especially in the current climate. agencies are full of sh*t.
Kier6expa

Post by Kier6expa »

I was under the impression, possibly incorrectly, that agencies aren't allowed to encourage people to leave full time employment to get them on their books. Either way there are good and bad agencies and my experience with them hasn't been good. For that small an increase I'd say it's risky. Ask yourself could you do a few weeks without wages if things get quiet
jams9erho

Post by jams9erho »

You could ask if they’re willing to give you guaranteed hours
GabyGobitz

Post by GabyGobitz »

If you're happy in current job then stay put
GabyGobitz

Post by GabyGobitz »

Agency do lie just to get you in door
you+newdy

Post by you+newdy »

Agency’s care about two things, their bank balance and their clients you’re not either of those
DiDonoven

Post by DiDonoven »

Nope agencies will just tell you what you want to hear and I bet even that pay rate isn’t guaranteed, they’ll tell you that but then come up with some 💩 paying lower than your in now and expect you to jump for joy
BaayAbout

Post by BaayAbout »

Wait until you can get a full time job
graemPDood

Post by graemPDood »

Nope nope nope. No loyalty from agencies. They will give you all the bs and then drop you regardless of what they agreed.
Ell3riuser

Post by Ell3riuser »

Ask them to put it in writing that you will get at least 4 days. If they won't then there's your answer
Andiy5um

Post by Andiy5um »

Just think about time you where stung before
Agency's only want names on their books
dhanielDr

Post by dhanielDr »

Been rung twice today for agency work only temp so no money not everything
Stevo6nism

Post by Stevo6nism »

You just answered your own question in your little paragraph, you have been stung before
817_molynesfa

Post by 817_molynesfa »

No, contracted hours are always better than zero hours and agency's lie, they need full books in case so they can supply immediately. Unless they guarantee you a minimum wage per week, its a definite no
wess+nymo

Post by wess+nymo »

It depends on the agency and their client tbh. I've worked for a couple that gave me consistent work every week, and I've worked for a few that messed me about. When the money is rolling in I save it for the quiet periods.
Agencies have opened up more doors for me and I've stuck to the minimum rate I'll work for. I've been offered full-time some even with decent rates, but I prefer the flexibility of agency work. I've been pretty ruthless chopping and changing to do work that suits me. It's either for you or it's not.
Lynnco801

Post by Lynnco801 »

Can people actually think for them self's are what
peteForReal

Post by peteForReal »

Nope, they cannot guarantee you anything on a zero hour contract, if there's no work... guess what, you ain't working and you ain't getting paid and them just saying you'll get 4 days doesn't mean anything unless it's written in your contract (which it won't be hence why it's a zero hour contract)
Delmo-Prep

Post by Delmo-Prep »

Contracts are your guarantee mate. Not a salesman trying to fill his driver pool.
jo3hnower

Post by jo3hnower »

Stay where you are mate those agencies are a joke promise you the earth to get you signed up then nothing mate
Paultent823

Post by Paultent823 »

If you like your current job then I'd say stay where you are because the grass is very rarely greener. I've been agency for 10 years and this is the first year that I'd ever give that advice because I've always had plenty of work, right up until this year which has been the quietest I've known and I've seen a lot of other agency drivers saying the same, it's dead at the moment.
If you have job security then stick with it, if you like it, at least until things pick up out here.
JaayUnco

Post by JaayUnco »

I swerve agency’s all the time, rather have a secure job with guaranteed hours
geotors802

Post by geotors802 »

If you’re gonna be doing the same hours is it worth the £79 extra before tax 😂 no job security and know you gotta a income coming in
Marty.Asta

Post by Marty.Asta »

Just look for a job on hgv not agency 🤷🏻‍♂️
Marty.Asta

Post by Marty.Asta »

They still lie now just to get you on their books. Then there's no work.
kevBBiomach

Post by kevBBiomach »

Matt stay where you are fella. In the current climate you would be bonkers to jump to agency work.
STEVERGEN

Post by STEVERGEN »

I think I would stay were you are fella
STEVERGEN

Post by STEVERGEN »

Get them to put it in writing that you will be guaranteed 4 days, I know it probably wouldn't happen, but if they were serious they should do. Then if they didn't give you as promised you could kick off. But personally I wouldn't bother swapping to agency
waremo803

Post by waremo803 »

I wouldn't leave a full time gig for agency bs ever!! Agencies are good if you're in a jam.
Rogs_Nones

Post by Rogs_Nones »

Do you have a family ? Well pal they are more important like a lot of the guys on here never saw the kids growing up me included. Stick with what you’ve got it seems like a cushy number.
scatt5kare

Post by scatt5kare »

No stay where you are agencies will promise you the earth and give you nothing.
LEONIXTU

Post by LEONIXTU »

Shouldn’t leave a full time job for agency work, there is never a guarantee that the work is going to be there for you all year round, no matter how good your skill set may be,
Stay in your job and do occasional agency work weekends and holiday
chrisog-ph

Post by chrisog-ph »

Agency is good for stop gaps , sounds like you not happy with currant job , do Agency seek proper pay roll job . 😉👍
Fiellent804

Post by Fiellent804 »

I've been with same agency for about 4 yeas and have never been done over, always had work with decent pay. Never had a problem
griff.purple

Post by griff.purple »

Agency's are full of sh it mate they tell you they have work coming out there ears but nothing

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”