Today I was parked on an industrial estate for over 3hrs on bed awaiting instructions for my next job. Is it still

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
RaffeQuaffer

Re: Today I was parked on an industrial estate for over 3hrs on bed awaiting instructions for my next job. Is it still

Post by RaffeQuaffer »

karl0edin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:03 pm
RaffeQuaffer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:03 pm
karl0edin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:55 pm As you've said you were on call, it should have been a period of availability, but we all know what will be done.
I'm slightly confused as to why you think a manual entry would be appropriate?
because it's wrong mode selected?
but it's only possible to make a manual entry to account for a driver's time when the card was not in the VU. It can't be used to alter a previously recorded activity.
karl0edin

Re: Today I was parked on an industrial estate for over 3hrs on bed awaiting instructions for my next job. Is it still

Post by karl0edin »

I'm slightly confused as to why you think a manual entry would be appropriate?
but it's only possible to make a manual entry to account for a driver's time when the card was not in the VU. It can't be used to alter a previously recorded activity.
OK, well that goes against what a traffic officer told me a few years ago when I was loading anything wheeled I needed to do a manual entry for driving. Ps I never did as it sounded stupid 🙃
RaffeQuaffer

Post by RaffeQuaffer »

karl0edin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:04 pm

OK, well that goes against what a traffic officer told me a few years ago when I was loading anything wheeled I needed to do a manual entry for driving. Ps I never did as it sounded stupid 🙃
it is not possible (on a digital tacho) to manually enter "driving"
And it really is not possible to make a manual entry when an activity has already been recorded to the card.
RaffeQuaffer

Post by RaffeQuaffer »

I note your screenshot was from the Eos training notes.
RaffeQuaffer

Post by RaffeQuaffer »

Take a look at the multiple choice questions at the end of the drivers' hours records module.
In particular, the question about a driver who has left his card in the VU on break and subsequently carried out some unplanned other work.
RaffeQuaffer

Post by RaffeQuaffer »

The question has been there for years and it is guaranteed to catch out a significant proportion of each new cohort 😉
karl0edin

Post by karl0edin »

RaffeQuaffer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:05 pm

The question has been there for years and it is guaranteed to catch out a significant proportion of each new cohort 😉
I will have a look now, it's my current night time reading lol
RaffeQuaffer

Post by RaffeQuaffer »

karl0edin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:05 pm

all I can say is "enjoy"
And now you have inside info you won't be one who falls into the trap!
karl0edin

Post by karl0edin »

RaffeQuaffer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:06 pm

all I can say is "enjoy"
why thank you 😊 I don't seem to have the answer in he back of the folder, but I'm going with D record work on a print out.
RaffeQuaffer

Post by RaffeQuaffer »

karl0edin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:06 pm

all I can say is "enjoy"
why thank you 😊 I don't seem to have the answer in he back of the folder, but I'm going with D record work on a print out.
I'd say that's a pretty good answer 🙂
karl0edin

Post by karl0edin »

RaffeQuaffer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:07 pm
karl0edin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:06 pm

all I can say is "enjoy"
I'd say that's a pretty good answer 🙂
very good. End of the month I'm on it
astey_pro

Post by astey_pro »

You dont have to do a "start and end" country when you are doing a split rest only in the beginning and the end of the shift.
astey_pro

Post by astey_pro »

And 3hrs rest is 3hrs, but when you call it a 3 hrs break, johhny big b@llock will tell that it isn't a split rest🤣 because you had a break, get a life mr perfect truckers, no one is going to ask you what you were doing in that 3 hrs...end of.
leemo1246

Post by leemo1246 »

astey_pro wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:08 pm And 3hrs rest is 3hrs, but when you call it a 3 hrs break, johhny big b@llock will tell that it isn't a split rest🤣 because you had a break, get a life mr perfect truckers, no one is going to ask you what you were doing in that 3 hrs...end of.
dvsa might if you've already used 3 reduced daily rests
astey_pro

Post by astey_pro »

leemo1246 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:08 pm
astey_pro wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:08 pm And 3hrs rest is 3hrs, but when you call it a 3 hrs break, johhny big b@llock will tell that it isn't a split rest🤣 because you had a break, get a life mr perfect truckers, no one is going to ask you what you were doing in that 3 hrs...end of.
Tell them I stopped to have a 3 hrs rest had a nice sleep, went for a walk etc.
astey_pro

Post by astey_pro »

Because you would like to have a split rest, and they are going to say okay driver 🙂 never had any problem.
leemo1246

Post by leemo1246 »

astey_pro wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:09 pm
Because you would like to have a split rest, and they are going to say okay driver 🙂 never had any problem.
I agree. 99% of the time you'll get away with it. Be surprised how honest people become when under caution though, say, at the scene of an accident for example
ansped1236

Post by ansped1236 »

If you got 3 hours rest in today Happy days .... 9 off tonight and counts as an 11, What's not to like kerching ... 🤣
shep1mode

Post by shep1mode »

The OP has stated he was free to dispose of his time as he wished which automatically means he is not under instruction or obligation to an employer

“Hi Drive, jobs gone tits up. No idea what’s gonna happen so just park up somewhere and I’ll give you a call once I know what’s happening. Might be a few hours. Dunno”

“Am I alright to lock the cab up and go for a walk along the canal or whatever? Might go get fish and chips”
shep1mode

Post by shep1mode »

“Yes mate, just have your phone with you just in case”

40m later his phone rings “Drive, jobs off so be at Smiths for 16:00 this afternoon. Gives you a few more hours to finish your walk”

Sounds like a Rest to me.

It all completely revolves around being able to freely dispose of your time
BaiBaronn

Post by BaiBaronn »

shep1mode wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:12 pm The OP has stated he was free to dispose of his time as he wished which automatically means he is not under instruction or obligation to an employer

“Hi Drive, jobs gone tits up. No idea what’s gonna happen so just park up somewhere and I’ll give you a call once I know what’s happening. Might be a few hours. Dunno”

“Am I alright to lock the cab up and go for a walk along the canal or whatever? Might go get fish and chips”
oh bugger! 🤦‍♂️
You and Leemo are two of my most trusted experts in tachographical knowledge and even you can't agree. 😱
Raffe, can you take a side and I'll go with the majority. 😂
DAVEAXIO

Post by DAVEAXIO »

shep1mode wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:12 pm “Yes mate, just have your phone with you just in case”

40m later his phone rings “Drive, jobs off so be at Smiths for 16:00 this afternoon. Gives you a few more hours to finish your walk”

I get that. But answering a call from work about work is surely classed as work?
shep1mode

Post by shep1mode »

DAVEAXIO wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:13 pm
shep1mode wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:12 pm “Yes mate, just have your phone with you just in case”

I get that. But answering a call from work about work is surely classed as work?
!!
Attachments
Drivers.jpg
Drivers.jpg (101.12 KiB) Viewed 335 times
shep1mode

Post by shep1mode »

it’s only work when it becomes work. So if the call came in the Rest may well end… Shame but it doesn’t necessarily have to end because of answering the phone
shep1mode

Post by shep1mode »

It’s all playing with words
Has he been told ‘wait there don’t leave the truck’ It would be perfectly clear it isn’t Rest but the OP has indicated this wasn’t the case.
DAVEAXIO

Post by DAVEAXIO »

shep1mode wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:15 pm

it’s only work when it becomes work. So if the call came in the Rest may well end… Shame but it doesn’t necessarily have to end because of answering the phone
This is the trouble as it’s playing with words like you say. But my mere opinion is that if you are working in ANY way, which includes a phone call from your place of work, then it’s work, and has interrupted that rest period, whether it’s a few seconds or few minutes.
DAVEAXIO

Post by DAVEAXIO »

Has he been told ‘wait there don’t leave the truck’ It would be perfectly clear it isn’t Rest but the OP has indicated this wasn’t the case.
That’s how I see it, as it surely can’t be classed as a continuation of a rest period 🤷🏼
shep1mode

Post by shep1mode »

DAVEAXIO wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:15 pm

This is the trouble as it’s playing with words like you say. But my mere opinion is that if you are working in ANY way, which includes a phone call from your place of work, then it’s work, and has interrupted that rest period, whether it’s a few seconds or few minutes.
so your opinion ignores the black and white text attached 🤔 where DVSA tell us a driver can answer a phone as long as he agrees to do so.
It would be different if the employer said ‘Call me every hour’- that is being under instruction.
shep1mode

Post by shep1mode »

DAVEAXIO wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:16 pm

That’s how I see it, as it surely can’t be classed as a continuation of a rest period 🤷🏼
However, it matters not as the ONLY person who has an opinion that actually matters is a Magistrate. Only they can tell DVSA, you or me whether they are right are wrong.
Personally I disagree with the black and white text attached but my opinion is of no consequence
Attachments
Drivers.jpg
Drivers.jpg (101.12 KiB) Viewed 325 times
LAUREOUS

Post by LAUREOUS »

Counts as a split rest as far as I'm concerned! No DVSA officer will do you for it as they can't prove you weren't free to dispose of your time or even in the cab at the time! Crack on!!
cocoMPlith

Post by cocoMPlith »

Simple answer not gonna get involved with the Google warriors and keyboard warriors
But yes it’s classed as a split rest. Don’t get involved in the nitty gritty of things you was on break 3+ hours by law it’s acceptable,
Crack on drive your be fine 👍
Jocks-Topp

Post by Jocks-Topp »

cocoMPlith wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:18 pm Simple answer not gonna get involved with the Google warriors and keyboard warriors
But yes it’s classed as a split rest. Don’t get involved in the nitty gritty of things you was on break 3+ hours by law it’s acceptable,
best answer yet 😂
cocoMPlith

Post by cocoMPlith »

Jocks-Topp wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:18 pm
cocoMPlith wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:18 pm Simple answer not gonna get involved with the Google warriors and keyboard warriors
best answer yet 😂
it’s just the truth, I ain’t getting involved in rubbish answers and this and that rubbish. Break 3 hours+ you can have that as split rest. Simple as
DAVEAXIO

Post by DAVEAXIO »

best answer yet 😂
Not really, as a 3+ hours break can’t be counted as a split rest 🤷🏼
Jocks-Topp

Post by Jocks-Topp »

DAVEAXIO wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:19 pm
best answer yet 😂
why can’t it 🤷‍♂️
DAVEAXIO

Post by DAVEAXIO »

Jocks-Topp wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:19 pm

best answer yet 😂
why can’t it 🤷‍♂️
Because break and rest have different criteria……
Jocks-Topp

Post by Jocks-Topp »

DAVEAXIO wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:20 pm

why can’t it 🤷‍♂️
think your thinking to much into pal
DAVEAXIO

Post by DAVEAXIO »

Jocks-Topp wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:20 pm

why can’t it 🤷‍♂️
Regardless, they are not the same. Suggest to a DVSA person that you had a three hour break on a ‘split rest’ shift, and I think they’d agree with me……
Jocks-Topp

Post by Jocks-Topp »

Regardless, they are not the same. Suggest to a DVSA person that you had a three hour break on a ‘split rest’ shift, and I think they’d agree with me……
why would you go and say it to the dvsa
That’s a bit stupid
shep1mode

Post by shep1mode »

Jocks-Topp wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:21 pm

That’s a bit stupid
Its a possibility if you have already used three reduced Rests and they see a split Rest in your data they may ask questions about the three hour period
If you aren’t aware of the differences between Break and Rest it could make a big difference
“What were you doing for this 3 hrs drive?”
“It was a break mate”
“So you’ve reduced your daily Rest four times then?”
shep1mode

Post by shep1mode »

That’s a bit stupid
More than likely they would then enquire further to establish where you were, what you were doing etc to decide whether the period met the requirement of a Rest period.
Just pointing out possibilities
Jocks-Topp

Post by Jocks-Topp »

shep1mode wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:24 pm

That’s a bit stupid
More than likely they would then enquire further to establish where you were, what you were doing etc to decide whether the period met the requirement of a Rest period.
there reduced rests and a split is a no to me, but nowhere does the guy mention about three reduced rests.
He was heading off topic tbh
shep1mode

Post by shep1mode »

Jocks-Topp wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:25 pm
shep1mode wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:24 pm

That’s a bit stupid
there reduced rests and a split is a no to me, but nowhere does the guy mention about three reduced rests.
He was heading off topic tbh
Clearly the point of comments Pass you by.
You said “you was on break 3+ hours by law it’s acceptable”
The fact is that 3+ hours of break will not in any way constitute a split Rest
It wild need 3+ hours of Rest to be a split Rest
Rest and Break have totally different definitions and are totally different activities.
SteffiTreex

Post by SteffiTreex »

if you have 3 hrs break in the day in a block you can then do a 9 hr off at night and classed as a full daily rest ie 11 hrs off
Danics.Klugg

Post by Danics.Klugg »

There’s one little phrase within the OP’s post that determines exactly what action was taken and legal
kannet1237

Post by kannet1237 »

I"m glad I retired while we still had round bits of paper. Lol.
Nigull-Sab

Post by Nigull-Sab »

In tacho point of view, it counts as split rest. In moral/legal/whatever u call it point of view, it doesn't. Another example of technology doesn't fit for purpose, but no one is challenging it as no infringement comes out, until shit hits the fan and vosa, police, TC are looking into it minute by minute. As long as u have 11 hr later on, crack on.
LAUREOUS

Post by LAUREOUS »

If you selected daily rest and it was over 3 hours on that selection, you can put that 3 hours towards your daily rest period, but you have to take a minimum of 9 hours rest at the end of your working day and prior to your next period of work. If you do this you will still have three reduced daily rest periods available during your weekly work period.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”