Can anyone explain the logic behind hazard warning lights when driving around an RDC? I understand using them to do

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
f1alleenh

Re: Can anyone explain the logic behind hazard warning lights when driving around an RDC? I understand using them to do

Post by f1alleenh »

I get it on some building sites. Need to show almi card, need to show crane inspection certificate, need to pass a fors check, get asked about a lift plan to then be told the forklift is unloading me 🤷‍♂️
PHENNOX

Re: Can anyone explain the logic behind hazard warning lights when driving around an RDC? I understand using them to do

Post by PHENNOX »

Because they can’t see your 40ft lorry without them on
kam1227

Post by kam1227 »

Jordon.Ten wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:56 pm Elfin bleedin safety...say no more ...🤣🤣
not an elf and safety thing. Absolutely no need for it
ApelloTHink

Post by ApelloTHink »

Believe it’s due to a science thing saying people see lights before objects so someone might catch the light flashing before noticing the huge truck attached to it but I’m no expert, same thing with motorbikes always having lights on
wallzUnow

Post by wallzUnow »

ApelloTHink wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:58 pm Believe it’s due to a science thing saying people see lights before objects so someone might catch the light flashing before noticing the huge truck attached to it but I’m no expert, same thing with motorbikes always having lights on
Motorbikes are another thing, they should have their lights on all the time, they go so fast, under take, and pull wheelies from traffic light. Danger to them selves and other road users. 🤔
Isaac_Grey

Post by Isaac_Grey »

I dont get it either. But when you get in a crash you can say you didnt know what the other person was doing
lee8imag

Post by lee8imag »

I reckon you stand out more without hazard or high viz, leave 'em off, every c**t sees you.
RICHANGo

Post by RICHANGo »

If you go in Halfords redditch the shunter there hates you putting hazards on!
joff-hinch

Post by joff-hinch »

Royal mail sites are hazards on once you become a hazard ie reversing or parked,
joff-hinch

Post by joff-hinch »

all other times no hazards as they want you to use indicators to show other people where you intend to go.
Abbox1228

Post by Abbox1228 »

The eye is attracted to movement so you notice the movement of the flashing light gets your attention.
matteo.xmc

Post by matteo.xmc »

There is no logic, surely you can see that.🤣
SammGOD

Post by SammGOD »

With them on it makes it impossible to tell others what you are doing
alix_royal

Post by alix_royal »

SammGOD wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:02 pm With them on it makes it impossible to tell others what you are doing
it might indicate that there's a potential hazard and to stay clear of the vehicle.
alix_royal

Post by alix_royal »

SammGOD wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:02 pm With them on it makes it impossible to tell others what you are doing
Just a thought.
SammGOD

Post by SammGOD »

alix_royal wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:02 pm
it might indicate that there's a potential hazard and to stay clear of the vehicle.
many times I have been wanting to reverse onto a bay but as I have my hazards on I don't have a way to indicate what I need to do.
SammGOD

Post by SammGOD »

alix_royal wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:02 pm
Just a thought.
I have to switch them off so my indicators will work to be told off by the shunter for not having them on.
Diplo1229

Post by Diplo1229 »

Probably some research done somewhere that proves that the human eye is more likely to see and react to a blinking light, more so than none at all.
rec+ineed

Post by rec+ineed »

And speed limits when to the shunter drivers it doesnt matter and most just drive straight at you
DoylDoyen

Post by DoylDoyen »

I always think that if they cannot see my 44T, 16+ metre long truck...
DoylDoyen

Post by DoylDoyen »

then they really shouldn't be working within a warehouse environment...
will9rgya

Post by will9rgya »

All because one idiot who can read a book but doesn’t know anything else decides a good idea and everyone else copies because they’re brain-dead morons who only have a category B license
JhonNextho

Post by JhonNextho »

Drivers stay In your cans. Stay away from our staff. Don't touch anything else you will be bummed. We can't touch your paperwork as it's got swamp fever on it. You cant even use to loo as you will give everyone kung flu. But before we let you In sign this clipboard to get in. And share this pen lol
quinn0rbie

Post by quinn0rbie »

If everyone’s got their hazards on in an RDC how do you know the one that’s broke down? That’s what they say at the Gist Cumbernauld depot, no hazards allowed on site there
PmeterZan

Post by PmeterZan »

There is non, it just ends up with hazard lights becoming white noise. Imagine if everyone drove in the roads with hazards on, how would anyone be made aware of a hazard?
1230-kowell

Post by 1230-kowell »

So you can see there's a 60 foot vehicle moving...
AUGUSTIN

Post by AUGUSTIN »

If I'm pulling on / off a bay or walking round the truck opening doors etc then my hazard lights are flashing!
costiHolly

Post by costiHolly »

There's less logic in some of the speed limits like 12.5 miles per hour 🤷‍♂️😂
Ritosh1bb

Post by Ritosh1bb »

In case dummies can’t see a big thing moving, exceptions are made for the stupid!
1231.ddexo

Post by 1231.ddexo »

So the banksman can see you, when he's "reversing you in"😉
Borg8dame

Post by Borg8dame »

I would have thought it was blatantly obvious. The vehicle is obviously easier to see, especially in low light
DaceRizopp

Post by DaceRizopp »

My opinion of this is, it’s an inevitable consequence of the health and safety culture that runs through every part of these big companies. They have to go above and beyond the laws to make double sure they won’t get sued.
Same reason you’re asked to sign for everything and anything on every visit.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”