Hi guys and girls, had an accident today, driver error car sat in my blind spot and I didn’t see him. The boss has

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
garweBoose

Re: Hi guys and girls, had an accident today, driver error car sat in my blind spot and I didn’t see him. The boss has

Post by garweBoose »

MATUSENTE wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:25 pm
garweBoose wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:25 pm
MATUSENTE wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:24 pm

they gave me advice on an employment issue, they also acted as mediator between me and my employer.
you must be lucky then. They wouldn’t tell me anything. They just said they aren’t able to give me any legal advice
it's worth a try though isn't it
anything is worth a try. When you’re getting ripped off. This employer sounds a right piece of work
Jace-Rayzo

Re: Hi guys and girls, had an accident today, driver error car sat in my blind spot and I didn’t see him. The boss has

Post by Jace-Rayzo »

As someone who train to be solicitor many moons ago. Once you have done a job you are to be paid for that job no ifs or buts if you never signed a contract to say that you would afto pay the excess on the insurance you are not liable to do so. Word of mouth is not a contract.
SaymonRRob

Post by SaymonRRob »

Your boss can’t take money out off your wages without written consent and you’ll win in court
ashrap1257

Post by ashrap1257 »

Unless you have signed anything to say you'll pay they can't take it that's what insurance is for
NasNerlon

Post by NasNerlon »

The owner of a company can ask for you to contribute towards the insurance by law you don’t have to but if you don’t there’s a good possibility your be looking for a new job
wadeDiddy

Post by wadeDiddy »

I worked for haulage holdings and had a smash because of snow in beast from east they made me pay them 500 for mine when police said we were not meant to go to place we delivered to
Alax_Black

Post by Alax_Black »

wadeDiddy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:30 pm I worked for haulage holdings and had a smash because of snow in beast from east they made me pay them 500 for mine when police said we were not meant to go to place we delivered to
your a fool then
dinny8exo

Post by dinny8exo »

There's plenty of jobs out there GO
PARAMER

Post by PARAMER »

I'd tell your boss to put it through the insurance, the collision might not be 100% your fault.
And if you don't have any written agreements WITH YOUR NAME AND SIGNATURE on them, then your boss is chancing his luck a bit.
STetsonLex

Post by STetsonLex »

My company has a bonus scheme weekly, any damages comes out of the loss of bonus
bojce-yau

Post by bojce-yau »

If he takes money from your wages just drive the truck right through his office and get another job 🤣
Harros1258

Post by Harros1258 »

Go to ACAS they will sort it for you
luco.hype

Post by luco.hype »

The only things they can deduct from your wages without your consent is income tax, national insurance and court orders like to pay court fines and maintenance to ex wife or partner. The dept for works and pensions can also take money you owe for over payment of benefits. If your employer takes money not listed above is illegal and they shouldn't be doing it,I would contact ACAS as soon as possible. That is what insurance is for.
EvenEvader

Post by EvenEvader »

luco.hype wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:33 pm The only things they can deduct from your wages without your consent is income tax, national insurance and court orders like to pay court fines and maintenance to ex wife or partner. The dept for works and pensions can also take money you owe for over payment of benefits. If your employer takes money not listed above is illegal and they shouldn't be doing it,I would contact ACAS as soon as possible. That is what insurance is for.
absolutely spot on👍👌
reck_tech

Post by reck_tech »

luco.hype wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:33 pm The only things they can deduct from your wages without your consent is income tax, national insurance and court orders like to pay court fines and maintenance to ex wife or partner. The dept for works and pensions can also take money you owe for over payment of benefits. If your employer takes money not listed above is illegal and they shouldn't be doing it,I would contact ACAS as soon as possible. That is what insurance is for.
unless you consent by contract or verbally, so be careful what you say.
luco.hype

Post by luco.hype »

reck_tech wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:34 pm
freedom of speech and what I've said is right.
reck_tech

Post by reck_tech »

luco.hype wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:34 pm
reck_tech wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:34 pm
freedom of speech and what I've said is right.
no I agree, just passing on that you can make a verbal contract if there are witnesses and that is what you need to be careful of.
onell+kens

Post by onell+kens »

Ianox1259 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:35 pm Join a Trade Union.
Union won't touch it because the accident happened before he would have joined
Ianox1259

Post by Ianox1259 »

onell+kens wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:35 pm
Ianox1259 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:35 pm Join a Trade Union.
Union won't touch it because the accident happened before he would have joined
while you are correct in terms of representation he would get advice over the phone. The point I was making was that they should all sign up to a Union who would be able to assist them collectively going forward
RhayJorbs

Post by RhayJorbs »

My company has said if I have an accident they will make me pay towards it.
So I'm thinking about a new job, that's what insurance is for.
I could understand if you was having multiple accidents.
gazs9anith

Post by gazs9anith »

A lot of firms tried this years ago, they can't change terms of contract without your agreement. Best looking for a better employer.
JemBoBorg

Post by JemBoBorg »

He will be paying insurance on the trucks, that would cover any claims anyway.
c0liniese

Post by c0liniese »

JemBoBorg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:37 pm He will be paying insurance on the trucks, that would cover any claims anyway.
no one said the truck was insured....bloody cowboys...
RADnatree

Post by RADnatree »

If he takes your wages, contact ACAS. It's free and works. Been there done similar for my daughter and she got her owed wages in full the week before court.
1260-liamo

Post by 1260-liamo »

Haulage is dogsh*te, its the only business that leach owners seem to operate in, fancy a building or construction company saying to their employees, if you make a mistake we will take the cost out of your wages, the bosses would get strung up
HARVECT

Post by HARVECT »

1260-liamo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:39 pm Haulage is dogsh*te, its the only business that leach owners seem to operate in, fancy a building or construction company saying to their employees, if you make a mistake we will take the cost out of your wages, the bosses would get strung up
some construction company's give you a chance to rectify your mistakes before they dock your wages👍
vigustDAS

Post by vigustDAS »

HARVECT wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:39 pm
1260-liamo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:39 pm Haulage is dogsh*te, its the only business that leach owners seem to operate in, fancy a building or construction company saying to their employees, if you make a mistake we will take the cost out of your wages, the bosses would get strung up
some construction company's give you a chance to rectify your mistakes before they dock your wages👍
is it written into your contract? Just asking, out of interest
Abott1raph

Post by Abott1raph »

An old boss of mine charged me for an exhaust cover on a Scania after a gate blew into it whilst unloading in the gateway. Luckily I run a diesel car and the free fuel that appeared magically in 25l drums in my boot soon compensated for the loss from wages.
1261.offdyne

Post by 1261.offdyne »

I had similar accident few months ago & my company never said anything like that to me. One thing that doesn’t seem fair to me though is that I just renewed my own private car insurance & they told me I been in accident recently, I said yes was work vehicle & they told me it’s effecting my insurance & premium gone up. £300.
Kacis8mo

Post by Kacis8mo »

If he deducts money as soon as you get your pay cost him £5k worth of damage. Thats why he has insurance.
stuppDays

Post by stuppDays »

Be careful he’ll want you to pay for the tyres you have worn out. Tell him you need an extra let’s say £100 a day after tax etc to pay for your own insurance on is truck tell him if he touches you wage he’ll find himself in court. Leave and name and same it’s about time people stop working for twats like this.
Tagg9izer

Post by Tagg9izer »

Have a word with a solicitor you can get half a hour free with most and they will tell you how to proceed. No disrespected to any one on this site but we are drivers not lawyers you need proper advice. Hope you sort it out 1👍
1262_poulls

Post by 1262_poulls »

That's against ACAS guidelines. My company pays a no damage bonus weekly. If damage is, caused that bonus is lost for that week. It's not carried over.
M0dexton

Post by M0dexton »

If he takes it out your wages just put adblue in the fuel and leave. He will soon be crying 😢😭
whittGnome

Post by whittGnome »

Totally illegal without your consent, that what he pays insurance for, does he have insurance??
BaiBaronn

Post by BaiBaronn »

Totally illegal unless its in your contract that they can.
Here's from Government website. https://www.gov.uk/understanding-your-p ... m-your-pay
leemo1246

Post by leemo1246 »

You have to sign a form giving permission for wages to be docked for anything
DAVEAXIO

Post by DAVEAXIO »

It would be classed as an unlawful deduction give ACAS a call they will sort it out for you great people to talk to
patellKenno

Post by patellKenno »

Don't stress. It's totally illegal to deduct wages. I had a similar thing when I was 24. Owner thought they should not pay wages. The owner thought wrong.
Jocks-Topp

Post by Jocks-Topp »

People on here will tell you they can’t do this, they can’t do that etc but truth is they can do whatever they want. Will they get away with it? No, that’s a different story but will they try it on and take the money? Probably, especially if it’s a smaller company. I’ve seen it happen to a few drivers over the years. I’d be speaking to my boss in person and find out what the crack is and if you’re asked to pay id be finding another job and walking. That’s what it’s insured for 🤷🏻‍♂️
shep1mode

Post by shep1mode »

Depends if you are ltd or paye, if ltd should have own drivers neg insurance, so if ltd well within there rights to make you pay for all damage
Sr.Scriverco

Post by Sr.Scriverco »

Hi mate they can only take 10% out of your money and till you have pay it back. Have you signed anything
goseq1247

Post by goseq1247 »

Personally I would look for another job, he has or should have insurance that will cover it, good luck for the future 👍
YetionDeop

Post by YetionDeop »

goseq1247 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:50 pm Personally I would look for another job, he has or should have insurance that will cover it, good luck for the future 👍
insurance doesn't cover the excess.
goseq1247

Post by goseq1247 »

YetionDeop wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:51 pm
goseq1247 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:50 pm Personally I would look for another job, he has or should have insurance that will cover it, good luck for the future 👍
you set the exess n besides my own car legal cover will determine if that’s payable or not don’t you think 🤷‍♂️
YetionDeop

Post by YetionDeop »

goseq1247 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:51 pm
you set the exess n besides my own car legal cover will determine if that’s payable or not don’t you think 🤷‍♂️
doesn't work that way with haulage insurance. Read the comments from
pete1idge
goseq1247

Post by goseq1247 »

YetionDeop wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:52 pm

pete1idge
works that way with all insurance 🤷‍♂️. I’m pay my car insurance that gives me public liability and legal cover etc, if I have a bump in a third party vehicle I still have to declare the accident to my own insurer. At that point I just give them the third party details in this case an employer that’s not properly insured and my insurer takes it from there. If they determine I have no fault or not liable for the employers exess they won’t pay it out n that’s the end of that. I get where employers try n grab back all they can by deeds dirty and underhanded but in reality that’s just one big rip off by greedy wee men.
YetionDeop

Post by YetionDeop »

goseq1247 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:53 pm

pete1idge
works that way with all insurance 🤷‍♂️. I’m pay my car insurance that gives me public liability and legal cover etc, if I have a bump in a third party vehicle I still have to declare the accident to my own insurer. At that point I just give them the third party details in this case an employer that’s not properly insured and my insurer takes it from there. If they determine I have no fault or not liable for the employers exess they won’t pay it out n that’s the end of that. I get where employers try n grab back all they can by deeds dirty and underhanded but in reality that’s just one big rip off by greedy wee men.
I’ve arranged plenty of commercial fleet policies and not seen one that covers the excess. The whole idea of an excess is that you pay it.
Commercial policies work on a claims experience. It is often cheaper to settle in cash rather than process a claim because of the potential impact on the claims experience which could then affect the next renewal. It can be a complicated issue
I also had different levels of excess on named drivers such as young or old where the insurers set a separate excess than the main policy
I also know operators with third party cover only - they pay their own damage.
That's the direct quote from
Pete1idge, and believe me he knows what he's talking about.
goseq1247

Post by goseq1247 »

YetionDeop wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:53 pm

pete1idge
I’ve arranged plenty of commercial fleet policies and not seen one that covers the excess. The whole idea of an excess is that you pay it.
Commercial policies work on a claims experience. It is often cheaper to settle in cash rather than process a claim because of the potential impact on the claims experience which could then affect the next renewal. It can be a complicated issue
I also had different levels of excess on named drivers such as young or old where the insurers set a separate excess than the main policy
as a driver I don’t care a jot all I know is I don’t pay the excess under any circumstances
michoelBean

Post by michoelBean »

pete1idge
maybe not, but it’s not as if he’s having bumps every day, surely his employer can let the insurance deal with it then crack on regardless
weston8ar

Post by weston8ar »

pete1idge
you don't have to pay excess on a 3rd party claim, only for your own loss.
YetionDeop

Post by YetionDeop »

weston8ar wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:56 pm

you don't have to pay excess on a 3rd party claim, only for your own loss.
nobody said you did.
Worenn_MK

Post by Worenn_MK »

the can take the money at an agreed rate that you can afford each week, ie £1 per week!
ley8bios

Post by ley8bios »

Can’t deduct money from your wages without permission, assuming you’ve not given that permission, you’re have the law on your side, should it go further.
MuggleroPPlus

Post by MuggleroPPlus »

Pettek1248 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:00 pm What’s your union saying?
not in one mate
Pettek1248

Post by Pettek1248 »

MuggleroPPlus wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:00 pm
Pettek1248 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:00 pm What’s your union saying?
not in one mate
unlucky
BOBDERS

Post by BOBDERS »

They cannot take money without your consent
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

MuggleroPPlus wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:12 am Hi guys and girls, had an accident today, driver error car sat in my blind spot and I didn’t see him. The boss has insinuated that money is going to be taken out my wages for it. I have no written contract and I’m due to be paid for this month on the 10th, I’ve got a lot on my plate at the minute and I’m stressing like owt. Any help would be appreciated.
Bet this is a real old post and from elsewhere but here goes.
If the driver is working without a contract, it’s usually for one reason only - financial benefit. Alas, without a contract, the “employer” can deduct what they like as there is no contract to say otherwise.
That’s one of the joys of not being under contract.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”