Good afternoon looking for some advice. A company I work for is getting its 1st mirrorless unit what familiarization

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
ConGyp

Good afternoon looking for some advice. A company I work for is getting its 1st mirrorless unit what familiarization

Post by ConGyp »

Good afternoon, looking for some advice. A company I work for is getting its 1st mirrorless unit, what familiarization or training have people been doing going from mirror to camera systems. Any help or advice appreciated. Many thanks
ioanBean

Re: Good afternoon looking for some advice. A company I work for is getting its 1st mirrorless unit what familiarization

Post by ioanBean »

Is the manufacturer not providing driver training. This is a big change for a driver. Proper assessment of the driver ability and document it.
ConGyp

Re: Good afternoon looking for some advice. A company I work for is getting its 1st mirrorless unit what familiarization

Post by ConGyp »

ioanBean wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:18 pm Is the manufacturer not providing driver training. This is a big change for a driver. Proper assessment of the driver ability and document it.
it's a 2nd hand truck I can contact the manufacturer to see if I can arrange it, thanks for the advice
ioanBean

Post by ioanBean »

ConGyp wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:18 pm
ioanBean wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:18 pm Is the manufacturer not providing driver training. This is a big change for a driver. Proper assessment of the driver ability and document it.
it's a 2nd hand truck I can contact the manufacturer to see if I can arrange it, thanks for the advice
if it is second hand, see if you can get a driver/trainer to train and assess drivers. Plenty out there mate.
LoweLife

Post by LoweLife »

Main point is to drop an item (we used the warning triangle box) one meter on the ground behind the coupled trailer then use the mirror controls (just like a conventional mirror adjusters) to match the screen cursor up to the grounded item. That way both near and off side mirrors know where the trailers ass end is and will track it when in motion, forwards and in reverse.
The mirrors will then advise when slower moving traffic has been passed etc.
Great bit of kit for blind reversing
ConGyp

Post by ConGyp »

LoweLife wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:19 pm Main point is to drop an item (we used the warning triangle box) one meter on the ground behind the coupled trailer then use the mirror controls (just like a conventional mirror adjusters) to match the screen cursor up to the grounded item. That way both near and off side mirrors know where the trailers ass end is and will track it when in motion, forwards and in reverse.
thank you for your advice
LoweLife

Post by LoweLife »

ConGyp wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:20 pm
LoweLife wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:19 pm Main point is to drop an item (we used the warning triangle box) one meter on the ground behind the coupled trailer then use the mirror controls (just like a conventional mirror adjusters) to match the screen cursor up to the grounded item. That way both near and off side mirrors know where the trailers ass end is and will track it when in motion, forwards and in reverse.
thank you for your advice
no worries.
turnWell

Post by turnWell »

Amd here's the problem with the transport industry in one paragraph, no one has any common sense any more or ability to adjust without the nanny society intervening!!!!!
ConGyp

Post by ConGyp »

turnWell wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:21 pm Amd here's the problem with the transport industry in one paragraph, no one has any common sense any more or ability to adjust without the nanny society intervening!!!!!
it's about protecting the company and drivers should an accident happen. Not sure why you have commented if you have nothing constructive to offer.
turnWell

Post by turnWell »

ConGyp wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:21 pm
turnWell wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:21 pm Amd here's the problem with the transport industry in one paragraph, no one has any common sense any more or ability to adjust without the nanny society intervening!!!!!
it's about protecting the company and drivers should an accident happen. Not sure why you have commented if you have nothing constructive to offer.
well you appear to be employing drivers who can't drive or adjust.
Mirrorless truck as no different to mirrored one tbf, give the driver the hand book and get him or her to set the system, that's by far the easiest way for them to learn.
ConGyp

Post by ConGyp »

turnWell wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:21 pm
Mirrorless truck as no different to mirrored one tbf, give the driver the hand book and get him or her to set the system, that's by far the easiest way for them to learn.
it's sarcastic comments like this that makes me wonder why I bother asking for advice to further my knowledge and gain insight from others. Thanks for being a knobhead.
LoweLife

Post by LoweLife »

ConGyp wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:22 pm
turnWell wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:21 pm

it's sarcastic comments like this that makes me wonder why I bother asking for advice to further my knowledge and gain insight from others. Thanks for being a knobhead.
your dead right to ask. I did.
Remember, there’s no stupid questions. Only stupid answers.
CottEvet

Post by CottEvet »

Send it back get mirrors fitted there sh*t.
wiChapter44

Post by wiChapter44 »

We have a few mirrorless units. Some drivers are happy with them others like myself tend to get headaches (I wear glasses). They can take a while to get used to. Good idea offering the drivers training on them. The screens can be locked for reversing or they will automatically change to zoom in a bit closer on the trailer. It can be a pain. Also the screens can be darkened or lightened depending on the driver's preferences. Get one of your more clued up drivers to have a play with the settings unless you drive yourself.
MatKeepup

Post by MatKeepup »

wiChapter44 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:24 pm We have a few mirrorless units. Some drivers are happy with them others like myself tend to get headaches (I wear glasses). They can take a while to get used to. Good idea offering the drivers training on them. The screens can be locked for reversing or they will automatically change to zoom in a bit closer on the trailer. It can be a pain. Also the screens can be darkened or lightened depending on the driver's preferences. Get one of your more clued up drivers to have a play with the settings unless you drive yourself.
I haven't yet had the misfortune to drive one, but it concerns me that staring at a screen for extended periods is deemed to be a potential hazard for those with desk- based jobs, but constantly adjusting from screen to real-life for up to 4 and a half hours for a driver is deemed to be acceptable. I'd be interested to hear views from those with experience of driving them.
wiChapter44

Post by wiChapter44 »

MatKeepup wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:24 pm
wiChapter44 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:24 pm We have a few mirrorless units. Some drivers are happy with them others like myself tend to get headaches (I wear glasses). They can take a while to get used to. Good idea offering the drivers training on them. The screens can be locked for reversing or they will automatically change to zoom in a bit closer on the trailer. It can be a pain. Also the screens can be darkened or lightened depending on the driver's preferences. Get one of your more clued up drivers to have a play with the settings unless you drive yourself.
I haven't yet had the misfortune to drive one, but it concerns me that staring at a screen for extended periods is deemed to be a potential hazard for those with desk- based jobs, but constantly adjusting from screen to real-life for up to 4 and a half hours for a driver is deemed to be acceptable. I'd be interested to hear views from those with experience of driving them.
to be fair you only really look at them as normal when you need to look in your side mirrors however, whilst driving you can see them out of your peripheral vision which even though you can get used to it for me it was distracting. As I mentioned in a prior post as I wear glasses for long distance the screens being so close tend to leave me with headaches. I know of a few other drivers who wear glasses and have the same issues. Don't get me wrong normal Mercs with mirrors are brilliant. The ones without mirrors are a nightmare.
grimVenue

Post by grimVenue »

One of ours is fitted with mirror cams. It takes a bit of getting used to especially when reversing, but once you do it is fine.
RyaMuch

Post by RyaMuch »

I actually really like them. Remove huge blind spots, easy to see, have markers for positioning and follow the back of the trailer for full vision.
All vehicles will be like this in a few years.
wiChapter44

Post by wiChapter44 »

RyaMuch wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:26 pm
I actually really like them. Remove huge blind spots, easy to see, have markers for positioning and follow the back of the trailer for full vision.
All vehicles will be like this in a few years.
don't swear at us by saying that. I know it's inevitable but I try not to think that far ahead. I'm still enjoying normal mirrors
rhopecter35

Post by rhopecter35 »

Iv not heard any good reports about them, but it's how the industry is moving forward now, we won't have a choice soon. As for everything, the first gen stuff always has problems, good luck with them, we'll done for thinking of training the drivers as well. Most companies have to do that if the yard man gets a diesel forklift and passed on electric one, never understood why, but there it is.
👍
Niadbuyear

Post by Niadbuyear »

Our DAF handovers include a driver trainer spending a couple of hours with the new driver - I believe every dealership has a guy who's job is just that.
chandeeni8

Post by chandeeni8 »

Refuse them unless you want headaches going from a screen to real life every time you check your mirror. And night time forget it nightmare. And if you wear corrective lenses for driving 🙈 retire
VargRaw

Post by VargRaw »

First there should be a qr code on drivers step to watch videos on YouTube. second ask manufacturers if you can have a session at Merc or onsite to a competent person/lead driver so they can pass on the information to your driver's. Third be aware of misting and ghosting due to poor seals on gen 1 cameras this can render camera VOR to be replaced. It's a whole different view point for drivers it will take them time to get used to.
RyaMuch

Post by RyaMuch »

contact local Merc dealer. They all have trainers for hand over purposes.
I recently spent 2 days at Mercedes and there is a lot to take in with all the technology available.
It depends on other technology fitted as well as the mirror cams. Download Mercedes truck training app.
If you need a half day course for yourself or the driver, I'll arrange one with you.
billcopy77

Post by billcopy77 »

I would suggest first asking for a volunteer who WANTS to drive the mirrorless unit. We had one temporarily, only one driver was up for it, all the rest basically refused.
It is a learning curve but really only experience will do the job, though I would hope (not expect) the dealership to offer something, even if it were only on a simulator

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”