Hello I am 19 years old, got my HGV test in a few days What are the chances of me finding a job and does anyone know

Ads by truck drivers looking for work
aaziGhazi

Hello I am 19 years old, got my HGV test in a few days What are the chances of me finding a job and does anyone know

Post by aaziGhazi »

Hello I am 19 years old, got my HGV test in a few days. What are the chances of me finding a job and does anyone know of any companies that will hire me as I have no experience.
Thanks
aaziGhazi

Re: Hello I am 19 years old, got my HGV test in a few days What are the chances of me finding a job and does anyone know

Post by aaziGhazi »

CoulRazo wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:28 am What area of UK?
I'm in Coventry but can travel
greenthMo

Re: Hello I am 19 years old, got my HGV test in a few days What are the chances of me finding a job and does anyone know

Post by greenthMo »

aaziGhazi wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:33 am
Loads of work round that way, just take anything but keep looking. Once you have a year under your belt it will be a lot easier, agency is worth a go too.
WillFaith

Post by WillFaith »

try Slam they’re based in that area, they do a lot of Amazon work
neWalkerr

Post by neWalkerr »

maybe try Amazon!
peardive94

Post by peardive94 »

leg work is best. Don't just apply for a job online. It's better to go to a company and speak to the transport manager directly. I'm 56 now and I've never been out of work. Just started a new job this week I went to the company and got the job. I've only had my class 1 for 14 years
LongBest

Post by LongBest »

Try containers good place to start.
aaziGhazi

Post by aaziGhazi »

LongBest wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:40 am Try containers good place to start.
Thanks
ChatChris

Post by ChatChris »

Try Warrens in Rugby - now part of the Culina group - they took new passes on 10 years ago, things might’ve changed but worth a try?
https://www.warrensgroup.com/
aaziGhazi

Post by aaziGhazi »

ChatChris wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:43 am Try Warrens in Rugby - now part of the Culina group - they took new passes on 10 years ago, things might’ve changed but worth a try?
https://www.warrensgroup.com/
Thanks will give them a try
boulBourr

Post by boulBourr »

Quarrys franchisees might take u on at 19 but will be on a 8 legger
jimmBall

Post by jimmBall »

I started at 19 when they first dropped the age limit my advice would be,,,, don't give up applying and be prepared to start in a job that is not as easy as most,,, I got my break in removals but once your in a seat the doors soon open for you 👍
ShellSpin

Post by ShellSpin »

At 19 you may struggle to get a start, good luck mate and don’t give up, keep knocking on doors🤞🤞
mahgeness88

Post by mahgeness88 »

I was 19 when I passed my class one, 24 years later I still enjoy it.
Read back through older posts,call companies direct.
Good luck with the test mate.
FoulSolid

Post by FoulSolid »

mahgeness88 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:48 am I was 19 when I passed my class one, 24 years later I still enjoy it.
how did you do your class 1 at 19 24 years ago armed Forces?
mahgeness88

Post by mahgeness88 »

FoulSolid wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:51 am
mahgeness88 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:48 am I was 19 when I passed my class one, 24 years later I still enjoy it.
young drivers scheme, there was a huge shortage of drivers lol.
FoulSolid

Post by FoulSolid »

mahgeness88 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:10 pm
FoulSolid wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:51 am
young drivers scheme, there was a huge shortage of drivers lol.
👍
bainThere

Post by bainThere »

After passing my test I walked into 2 companies and got the job but I’m self employed and they phone me when they need me, but equally if it’s a crap days work I say no thank you
austProst

Post by austProst »

Stobart chances 80% low wages but get experience THEN …move on
RJellentre

Post by RJellentre »

Try find a local company and stay for 6 to 12 months get some good experience
GerrBWith

Post by GerrBWith »

RJellentre wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:18 pm Try find a local company and stay for 6 to 12 months get some good experience
why stay for 6 to 12 months after the company will have to trust him the. Brake trust by leaving 🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍
RJellentre

Post by RJellentre »

GerrBWith wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:19 pm
RJellentre wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:18 pm Try find a local company and stay for 6 to 12 months get some good experience
why stay for 6 to 12 months after the company will have to trust him the. Brake trust by leaving 🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍
because normally your first job is your worst paid job! My first class 2 job was £8.50 an hour. Left after I had 2 years experience.
RJellentre

Post by RJellentre »

GerrBWith wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:19 pm
who cares if you “break trust” by leaving a job. They don't own you 🤣
robedpan03

Post by robedpan03 »

Just don’t be to picky, you will find something
treborXo

Post by treborXo »

Look into the total cost, Hours you are expected to work,
AlanPlus

Post by AlanPlus »

Brit-european fb page take on newbies an outbase
jonnBugs

Post by jonnBugs »

Stobart in rugby. Not the best but probably will. Use their agency and you might get in co-op it's logistics people
CalluHallux

Post by CalluHallux »

I was lucky with my first class 1 mate but from what I've seen recently the best way to get a foot in isn't applying online, it's walking through the door and speaking to someone face to face I'd there's rdcs or company's close by or any around you like the look or sound of... worse they can say is no and because you made the effort to go in they may remember you in the future
siddGree

Post by siddGree »

Maybe best is to try through agency’s first,,
JennWarm

Post by JennWarm »

If there's still a Co-op depot near Coventry you could try them. Or any other supermarket places. They often take on new passes.
nataRegatta

Post by nataRegatta »

JennWarm wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:26 pm If there's still a Co-op depot near Coventry you could try them. Or any other supermarket places. They often take on new passes.
yes there is but it's stobarts
JennWarm

Post by JennWarm »

nataRegatta wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:26 pm
JennWarm wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:26 pm If there's still a Co-op depot near Coventry you could try them. Or any other supermarket places. They often take on new passes.
yes there is but it's stobarts
oh. It would be a start though and some experience to take somewhere else.
HankChee

Post by HankChee »

It's trunking only depot to depot so could be good for gain experience. Try logistics people
JennWarm

Post by JennWarm »

HankChee wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:28 pm
It's trunking only depot to depot so could be good for gain experience. Try logistics people
that would be really good experience for a newbie.
aaziGhazi

Post by aaziGhazi »

Thank you everyone for your help 🙏
markqasi55

Post by markqasi55 »

Class one or two? Try white logistics in per shore. They take new drivers.
DaveRpacc

Post by DaveRpacc »

I’ve been retired for 22 years after a working life in haulage, mainly tankers and got my HGV through grandfather rights and learnt my trade from older drivers.
I’m just wondering if once a driver passes his test do they get any tuition on strapping loads down or how to load safely etc. or tutuition from the driver training company.
Or are newly qualified drivers expected to pick it up as they go along.
pauuPage

Post by pauuPage »

DaveRpacc wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:31 pm I’ve been retired for 22 years after a working life in haulage, mainly tankers and got my HGV through grandfather rights and learnt my trade from older drivers.
I’m just wondering if once a driver passes his test do they get any tuition on strapping loads down or how to load safely etc. or tutuition from the driver training company.
pretty much there's they keys get on with it. There are some companies out there that have new driver schemes etc but these seem pretty few and far between.
DaveRpacc

Post by DaveRpacc »

pauuPage wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:31 pm
DaveRpacc wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:31 pm I’ve been retired for 22 years after a working life in haulage, mainly tankers and got my HGV through grandfather rights and learnt my trade from older drivers.
pretty much there's they keys get on with it. There are some companies out there that have new driver schemes etc but these seem pretty few and far between.
Thanks.
I guess that why there seems to be so many cock ups nowadays or is it because we read about them on social media.
pauuPage

Post by pauuPage »

DaveRpacc wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:32 pm
pauuPage wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:31 pm
Thanks.
I guess that why there seems to be so many cock ups nowadays or is it because we read about them on social media.
probably a bit of both to be fair. Everyone's slightest mistake gets plastered over social media
JamiGamey

Post by JamiGamey »

Try Parcelforce Worldwide, near to airport 🛫
angmers41

Post by angmers41 »

I'm mostly curious what would be the answer from insurance company of your potential employer, would they even want to add you to policy with your age of 19?
KnowChone

Post by KnowChone »

I was 18 when I started and it was hard finding the first job but never struggled since. Just ring around locally and someone will eventually give you a chance. Just be prepared for it not to be the most glamorous job in the word or best money, but the experience you’ll gain is more valuable at that age
versGiga

Post by versGiga »

KnowChone wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:35 pm I was 18 when I started and it was hard finding the first job but never struggled since. Just ring around locally and someone will eventually give you a chance. Just be prepared for it not to be the most glamorous job in the word or best money, but the experience you’ll gain is more valuable at that age
be truthful, nobody actually thought you were old enough to ride a moped let alone drive a truck 🤣
KnowChone

Post by KnowChone »

versGiga wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:36 pm
KnowChone wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:35 pm I was 18 when I started and it was hard finding the first job but never struggled since. Just ring around locally and someone will eventually give you a chance. Just be prepared for it not to be the most glamorous job in the word or best money, but the experience you’ll gain is more valuable at that age
be truthful, nobody actually thought you were old enough to ride a moped let alone drive a truck 🤣
They still don’t 5 years later 🤣
StewFizz

Post by StewFizz »

KnowChone wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:38 pm
versGiga wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:36 pm
They still don’t 5 years later 🤣
he had to go work for a Dutch company as they were only ones that believe him nowadays 🤣
bethusis23

Post by bethusis23 »

Some Romanian or Bulgarian start up will take you on until they do a bunk with the tax money, so be careful because HMRC will chase you for tax!
aaziGhazi

Post by aaziGhazi »

WilbyPro wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:40 pm Where are you from
Coventry
WilbyPro

Post by WilbyPro »

aaziGhazi wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:41 pm
WilbyPro wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:40 pm Where are you from
Coventry
Try WS if they have anything near you

Return to “HGV truck drivers looking for work | Employment wanted”