Anybody run with these regularly, one of our drivers got pulled with just internals on "apparently" and was told

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
DavidGett

Re: Anybody run with these regularly, one of our drivers got pulled with just internals on "apparently" and was told

Post by DavidGett »

bradJean wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:45 pm
CatterBe wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:45 pm Maybe different curtains. Our company changed all our fleets curtains when the law changed a couple of years ago. There will be something on the curtains saying they are load barring or not. Some loads may still be safer to strap.
nothing to do with the curtains being load bearing. The whole trailer has to be designed and built following EN12642.
and the load has to be a positive fit
NickChee

Re: Anybody run with these regularly, one of our drivers got pulled with just internals on "apparently" and was told

Post by NickChee »

If your straps are long enough, throw them over the roof but obviously keep the hook end in you hand, then take the hook over to the other side where you've just thrown the strap. Hook them all in place, as the forkie loads the stillages it will bring the strap down off the roof and into position. Hope that makes sense.
Only really works if loading from one side though.
mageeUpfor

Post by mageeUpfor »

NickChee wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:47 pm If your straps are long enough, throw them over the roof but obviously keep the hook end in you hand, then take the hook over to the other side where you've just thrown the strap. Hook them all in place, as the forkie loads the stillages it will bring the strap down off the roof and into position. Hope that makes sense.
Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (159.67 KiB) Viewed 300 times
NickChee

Post by NickChee »

mageeUpfor wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:47 pm
NickChee wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:47 pm If your straps are long enough, throw them over the roof but obviously keep the hook end in you hand, then take the hook over to the other side where you've just thrown the strap. Hook them all in place, as the forkie loads the stillages it will bring the strap down off the roof and into position. Hope that makes sense.
thats the one 👌
LeeNumero

Post by LeeNumero »

used to do similar when loading packs of wood from egger
craInformer

Post by craInformer »

great idea
AberLabor

Post by AberLabor »

genius idea! Would work but not at this place, loading both sides
mageeUpfor

Post by mageeUpfor »

AberLabor wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:49 pm
Use this method regularly for baled recycling mainly 👌
PriceNan

Post by PriceNan »

mageeUpfor wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:50 pm
AberLabor wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:49 pm

Use this method regularly for baled recycling mainly 👌
Widely used in Europe for timber loads, but here, because "health and safety"🤣🤣🤣, forklift drivers are instructed to load by "both sides"!!!
dayecon11

Post by dayecon11 »

A hour to strap ? 15-20minutes you’d easy smash that
SteveMans

Post by SteveMans »

If you get in your cab to drive off and have any doubt it’s not secured properly then it’s not! A secure load is one you don’t worry about
haySleek

Post by haySleek »

We carry these stillages and can be a pain to get the straps over somedays can throw them first time but usually when someone is watching takes a few attempts,have seen a system where you can clip the strap into the roof before loading and then just pull it down over.
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 283 times
haySleek

Post by haySleek »

Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (50.63 KiB) Viewed 283 times
mahoMarc

Post by mahoMarc »

haySleek wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:55 pm We carry these stillages and can be a pain to get the straps over somedays can throw them first time but usually when someone is watching takes a few attempts,have seen a system where you can clip the strap into the roof before loading and then just pull it down over.
I work at a site which also does alcohol trunking. Their trailers are set up so they have a web of 5t straps with tails for ratchets at the bottom
AlexCalyx

Post by AlexCalyx »

I know a company who can have 5 ton straps made internally on rails. No strap throwers or time spent me messing around.
Send me a pm and I'll give you his details.
grangShun

Post by grangShun »

Two straps on every full IBC
IanGlimmer

Post by IanGlimmer »

Basically everything over 500kgs needs to be strapped, even IBC’s, they have to be double strapped, rule was bought out on the 1st of May. Internals and curtains are not classed as part of a securing your load. The only time you can get away with strapping is on the top deck of a double decker, not only because you physically can’t reach but also because everything up there is below 500kgs.
Vosa will have a field day if pulled over, how do I know this I past my test about 4/5 months ago and it was drummed into me, not only by my firm that I work for but also going through the exams, it was one of the questions and driver training.
Driver is always responsible for the load he/she carries and don’t forget it is your license.
FuncNate

Post by FuncNate »

IanGlimmer wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:59 pm Basically everything over 500kgs needs to be strapped, even IBC’s, they have to be double strapped, rule was bought out on the 1st of May. Internals and curtains are not classed as part of a securing your load. The only time you can get away with strapping is on the top deck of a double decker, not only because you physically can’t reach but also because everything up there is below 500kgs.
Vosa will have a field day if pulled over, how do I know this I past my test about 4/5 months ago and it was drummed into me, not only by my firm that I work for but also going through the exams, it was one of the questions and driver training.
Driver is always responsible for the load he/she carries and don’t forget it is your license.
400kg not 500
IanGlimmer

Post by IanGlimmer »

FuncNate wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:59 pm
IanGlimmer wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:59 pm Basically everything over 500kgs needs to be strapped, even IBC’s, they have to be double strapped, rule was bought out on the 1st of May. Internals and curtains are not classed as part of a securing your load. The only time you can get away with strapping is on the top deck of a double decker, not only because you physically can’t reach but also because everything up there is below 500kgs.
400kg not 500
Got that wrong then 😂😂😂
GrahabMy

Post by GrahabMy »

The days running around with just a strap on front and back carrying 520 pallets on a flat have gone then 👀🙈
shaneCist

Post by shaneCist »

If the company was so health & safety savvy them should have a safety platform for drivers to use allowing the driver to feed straps across the top of cargo.
LeeBrainy

Post by LeeBrainy »

Even with a trailer built to EN12642 standards, anything over 400KGpp has to be strapped with ratchets unfortunately.
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (56.12 KiB) Viewed 270 times
macDouse

Post by macDouse »

Internals have a 400kg rating. Anything over 400kg needs a ratchet. It’s not hard

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”