Good morning everyone, I passed my class 1 last week, yippee and today I was out and about in one with someone

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
FoulSolid

Re: Good morning everyone, I passed my class 1 last week, yippee and today I was out and about in one with someone

Post by FoulSolid »

It'll come with practice m8, just take your time and don't be embarrassed when you f**k up, just laugh about it.
bainThere

Re: Good morning everyone, I passed my class 1 last week, yippee and today I was out and about in one with someone

Post by bainThere »

Practice makes perfect, we've all been there👍👍
treborXo

Post by treborXo »

RJellentre wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:20 am Practice makes perfect
DITO
RJellentre

Post by RJellentre »

treborXo wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:20 am
RJellentre wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:20 am Practice makes perfect
DITO
you never stop learning 👍
ClinGive

Post by ClinGive »

Slow and steady, if unsure, stop, get out and have a look!
Remember! Don’t be a caant, take a shunt! 😎👍🏻
haySleek

Post by haySleek »

I'm sure you will get the grip of things mate don't give up you have got thus far also don't forget your a key worker now 👍👍
IanGlimmer

Post by IanGlimmer »

Slow. watch where trailer wheels are & you'll get it eventually.
I know a bloke passed his test years ago & still can't do it, that's because he doesn't ask or listen to advise. So at least your doing the right things👏👏
gccionto92

Post by gccionto92 »

Practice makes perfect, you have already made progress in asking for advice
MathCent

Post by MathCent »

32 year in still learning
ModePlace

Post by ModePlace »

Advice I was given ...take as much space as is available get as straight as you can shunt if you need to
Don't compare your self to anyone else everyone learns at there own pace
dimKeeper

Post by dimKeeper »

Stick at it, most drivers are understanding as they've been there, plenty will help if asked. Yeah it can be embarrassing but it doesn't take as long as you'd imagine for it to start to click.
YordJide

Post by YordJide »

As a retired driver who was in the game nearly 40 years I can whole heartedly agree with a lot of comments on here, take it slowly, don't be afraid to get out and have a look and it don't matter how many shunts you take, better to shunt it 100 times and get it between the trailers than shunt it once and hit one of them.
RJellentre

Post by RJellentre »

YordJide wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:24 am As a retired driver who was in the game nearly 40 years I can whole heartedly agree with a lot of comments on here, take it slowly, don't be afraid to get out and have a look and it don't matter how many shunts you take, better to shunt it 100 times and get it between the trailers than shunt it once and hit one of them.
It takes longer to fill out an accident form that get out and check 👍👍
YordJide

Post by YordJide »

RJellentre wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:25 am
YordJide wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:24 am As a retired driver who was in the game nearly 40 years I can whole heartedly agree with a lot of comments on here, take it slowly, don't be afraid to get out and have a look and it don't matter how many shunts you take, better to shunt it 100 times and get it between the trailers than shunt it once and hit one of them.
It takes longer to fill out an accident form that get out and check 👍👍
very true
iwnard23

Post by iwnard23 »

of course it matters how many shunts it takes.
He only got 9 hours driving a day🚛😂
CameSell

Post by CameSell »

Hang in there well all been there
nikoffeezi55

Post by nikoffeezi55 »

Practice makes perfect , and even when you got the hang of it dont mean your do it first time every time.. your have the most awkward ones and do it first time yet the easy ones take 3 shunts or more 🤣.. if in doubt get out and have a look.. rather someone looking at you for looking than looking at you because you’ve hit something
RaluRaider

Post by RaluRaider »

People say practice makes perfect but it doesn't... it just makes better. No reverse you do will ever be the same as the one before. Just take your time and don't oversteer as it is harder to ger the lock back off rather than put it on. Nice and slow and if your stuck on your own get out and ask for help mate. Not everyone wants to be a bell and put stuff on here to take the piss. No harm in asking at all. I've had my licence a few years now and I still ask myself mate. Every day is a learning curve for us all.
commKino

Post by commKino »

Slow slow slow look look look , ask the shunter for advise once they know your new they will gladly help you ( it makes them feel good).
Most importantly keep going and enjoy your progress.
LeatHear

Post by LeatHear »

Take your time use all the space you have and if u can start straight to where your heading for it will help and if your not sure get out and look 😉.. also no shame in a shunt
brownMegs

Post by brownMegs »

Take it slow. Practice makes perfect. No matter what any driver says we have all been there.
Pauzinell

Post by Pauzinell »

Some great advice on here mate. Don't worry stay calm and take as many shunts as you need slow and steady and it will all fall into place. But let me say after 25 plus year's I still have bad days and look like a complete d,,,,head lol

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”