A mate of mine lives in Northern Ireland and was recently offered a job doing UK work. The firm wanted him to ship

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
dagRended

A mate of mine lives in Northern Ireland and was recently offered a job doing UK work. The firm wanted him to ship

Post by dagRended »

A mate of mine lives in Northern Ireland and was recently offered a job doing UK work. The firm wanted him to ship out of Belfast early Sunday morning as a foot passenger. Collect the truck from Birkenhead docks where it’s to be parked each week. Run out Sunday afternoon/evening, tramp all week then return to Birkenhead docks Friday afternoon. They then wanted him to park up the unit, ship back to Belfast as a foot passenger and start the whole process again on the Sunday. By the time he’d shipped in and out he’d be lucky to have 24 hours at home each week. He didn’t take the job and I don’t blame him but I was wondering if it’s even legal?
nigelliff09

Re: A mate of mine lives in Northern Ireland and was recently offered a job doing UK work. The firm wanted him to ship

Post by nigelliff09 »

He’d wanna be coming back on the Thursday, it’s taking the piss as described
Mikennox

Re: A mate of mine lives in Northern Ireland and was recently offered a job doing UK work. The firm wanted him to ship

Post by Mikennox »

Yea travelling time to and from work out of company vehicles is classed as rest time
rawcriPro

Post by rawcriPro »

Mikennox wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:31 pm Yea travelling time to and from work out of company vehicles is classed as rest time
I agree, his home address is not the employer’s responsibility. If you don’t like the commute don’t apply for the job.
woodus088

Post by woodus088 »

There are plenty of headers doing it!!!
KingDeck

Post by KingDeck »

I suppose it will depend where the operating base of the vehicle is.
SDSpecials

Post by SDSpecials »

Starting on sunday should be a sunday thursday shift. Theyre asking him to work 6 days there.
stemeyerh22

Post by stemeyerh22 »

Someone I saw was flying to Berlin Germany from here on a Sunday night then driving out of Berlin then flying home Friday afternoon.
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

stemeyerh22 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:37 pm Someone I saw was flying to Berlin Germany from here on a Sunday night then driving out of Berlin then flying home Friday afternoon.
mustve been tramping?
CoganTipp

Post by CoganTipp »

No point in going home. I'd be telling them thanks but no thanks, 🤔 or words to that effect. The driver would still have to travel to and from the docks at Belfast.
donnymoor4

Post by donnymoor4 »

Legal or not, only a crazy person would do that!
CoClivee

Post by CoClivee »

donnymoor4 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:41 pm Legal or not, only a crazy person would do that!
Bet they’ll get a Look at me merchant take the job 🥴👍
NeweGive

Post by NeweGive »

Green tiger transporter drivers do something fairly similar but they all fly out to Manchester early Monday morning and get picked up to be taken to their trucks, or so I was told by one of their drivers anyway..
keithDeep

Post by keithDeep »

Loads of firms in Norhern Ireland looking for drivers I'd be asking why does he need to get a job in Birkinhead
dagRended

Post by dagRended »

keithDeep wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:44 pm Loads of firms in Norhern Ireland looking for drivers I'd be asking why does he need to get a job in Birkinhead
it’s an Irish firm bud based in Ballymena. He was told it was UK work which is what he was after but he assumed the truck would be coming with him back and forth not foot passenger. I suppose it’s just so the company can squeeze more work out of the driver 🤷🏻‍♂️
BanneRed

Post by BanneRed »

dagRended wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:45 pm
keithDeep wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:44 pm Loads of firms in Norhern Ireland looking for drivers I'd be asking why does he need to get a job in Birkinhead
it’s an Irish firm bud based in Ballymena. He was told it was UK work which is what he was after but he assumed the truck would be coming with him back and forth not foot passenger. I suppose it’s just so the company can squeeze more work out of the driver 🤷🏻‍♂️
Bliar transport by any chance?
WardKing

Post by WardKing »

johnMaid wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:46 pm Millers by any chance?
or Curran think they be at that craic too.
owenGrant

Post by owenGrant »

johnMaid wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:46 pm Millers by any chance?
or tst
newfoss21

Post by newfoss21 »

Legal - sadly yes as travel to/from the operating base not in a company vehicle is classed as rest/not working.
Acceptable - depends on the pay, £200 an hour and I know some who would do it, £10 an hour and the word “off” would be used.
Paid for the travel time is a grey area to me, someone else can weigh in on that!
WayRaven

Post by WayRaven »

newfoss21 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:53 pm Legal - sadly yes as travel to/from the operating base not in a company vehicle is classed as rest/not working.
Acceptable - depends on the pay, £200 an hour and I know some who would do it, £10 an hour and the word “off” would be used.
Paid for the travel time is a grey area to me, someone else can weigh in on that!
I would be inclined to think that if the firm are paying his ferry then that would be classed as working
HughPod

Post by HughPod »

WayRaven wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:55 pm
newfoss21 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:53 pm Legal - sadly yes as travel to/from the operating base not in a company vehicle is classed as rest/not working.
I would be inclined to think that if the firm are paying his ferry then that would be classed as working
makes no difference who pays ferry if you are not working you are not working
robertrass11

Post by robertrass11 »

HughPod wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:56 pm
makes no difference who pays ferry if you are not working you are not working
correct 👍
newfoss21

Post by newfoss21 »

the vehicle isn’t a work vehicle. So unless he works for the ferry company…
PeterrEdgy

Post by PeterrEdgy »

If not traveling to company base where lorry is based time has to be calculated as other work
davisTheevil

Post by davisTheevil »

As crazy and desperate as it is, it’s legal. Your not at work when travelling to or from home, it’s down to the company if they pay travel time & expenses, which can be built into the pay package. 💩💩💩
philBest

Post by philBest »

Surely you couldn't keep that up for long. You'd be wiped out. Although finding the motor still in Birkenhead where you left it would be a miracle
Speechexi

Post by Speechexi »

philBest wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:07 pm Surely you couldn't keep that up for long. You'd be wiped out. Although finding the motor still in Birkenhead where you left it would be a miracle
😂😁
slaterGrey

Post by slaterGrey »

Very strange why use a driver from Ireland. Sounds dodgy.
WayRaven

Post by WayRaven »

RH Freight used to supply minibus or cars for drivers to go to the docks and pick up the trucks, the travel time was work, and the designated driver had to declare the driving time.
BowyXmc

Post by BowyXmc »

Traveling to and from a vehicle from where it's normally based is rest.
Traveling to and from a vehicle not where it's normally based can't be rest
alexMinny

Post by alexMinny »

nugentMell wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:11 pm No not legal
is legal
granasiCy

Post by granasiCy »

alexMinny wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:12 pm
is legal
is not legal because the time on the boat is still 'on the clock' and doesn't constitute as a 45hr weekly rest period.
alexMinny

Post by alexMinny »

granasiCy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:12 pm
is legal
is not legal because the time on the boat is still 'on the clock' and doesn't constitute as a 45hr weekly rest period.
time on what clock .. the truck is left in Birkenhead so you close your card then get on boat so what clock do u speak of.. is there some sort of foot passenger clock or am I missing something
granasiCy

Post by granasiCy »

alexMinny wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:13 pm

is legal
time on what clock .. the truck is left in Birkenhead so you close your card then get on boat so what clock do u speak of.. is there some sort of foot passenger clock or am I missing something
yes you are missing something, who pays for the ferry..... Doh!
granasiCy

Post by granasiCy »

is legal
you need to brush up on your dCPC mate concentrate on drivers hours, ya never know you might learn something that one day might save your licence and job?
alexMinny

Post by alexMinny »

granasiCy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:14 pm

you need to brush up on your dCPC mate concentrate on drivers hours, ya never know you might learn something that one day might save your licence and job?
😂😂😂.. does your mother know u are out what’s it got to do with who pays ferry.. if you’ve booked off for a 45 you are on your weekly rest numead u could do with Cpc I think
alexMinny

Post by alexMinny »

do you do a manual entry in the ships log ffs .. u walk amongst us
alexMinny

Post by alexMinny »

or even manual entry when you come back to truck in Birkenhead ., had 45 weekly rest but boss paid for ferry so it doesn’t count 🤣🤣🤣
alexMinny

Post by alexMinny »

but the icing on the cake Dave is you can take a weekly rest of 24/45 hours on a boat if journeys long enough paid for by company so why is this scenario illegal 😁
granasiCy

Post by granasiCy »

alexMinny wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:16 pm

but the icing on the cake Dave is you can take a weekly rest of 24/45 hours on a boat if journeys long enough paid for by company so why is this scenario illegal 😁
what a kn08 😅 you do really need a lot of education.
granasiCy

Post by granasiCy »

like I said go and get an education, if its possible, why should I educate you?
alexMinny

Post by alexMinny »

granasiCy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:17 pm

so you can’t answer why it’s not legal even with all your “EDUCATION “…did u choke on the crayons while u were being educated honestly if I had a dog half as thick as u I’d get it put down
granasiCy

Post by granasiCy »

alexMinny wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:17 pm

so you can’t answer why it’s not legal even with all your “EDUCATION “…did u choke on the crayons while u were being educated honestly if I had a dog half as thick as u I’d get it put down
:lol: :lol: :lol:
alexMinny

Post by alexMinny »

granasiCy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:18 pm
alexMinny wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Me a knob 🤣🤣🤣🤣 explain to me why it’s not legal … YOU CANT
JamieHipur

Post by JamieHipur »

are you basing your assumption on the operating centre being in Birkenhead or elsewhere?
DeeRing

Post by DeeRing »

One of many reasons I’d not work for a shower like that. Diabolical
overinPink

Post by overinPink »

Lorry drivers told to fuck off Yr not a key worker
risbyrest63

Post by risbyrest63 »

Absolutely not legal & this is when 15 hrs won't be long enough I thought these days were over
granasiCy

Post by granasiCy »

risbyrest63 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:22 pm Absolutely not legal & this is when 15 hrs won't be long enough I thought these days were over
what’s 15 hours got to do with it .. park up Friday come back Sunday
MeddFred

Post by MeddFred »

It's legal if its the operating centre for that lorry. Travel to and from work. If however the lorry is not licensed to run out of Birkenhead then that's not its operating centre and therefore travel to and from it falls under your overall working time.
ollieRead

Post by ollieRead »

If they pay for travel time its OK. Train drivers get paid as passengers while on duty
JamieHipur

Post by JamieHipur »

ollieRead wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:24 pm If they pay for travel time its OK. Train drivers get paid as passengers while on duty
Legally, what he's paid for is not relevant. What is relevant is where that truck is based (as
MeddFred has mentioned above.) "Any time spent travelling to a location to take charge of a vehicle
falling within the scope of this Regulation, or to return from that
location, when the vehicle is neither at the driver’s home nor at the
employer’s operational centre where the driver is normally based, shall
not be counted as a rest or break unless the driver is on a ferry or train
and has access to a sleeper cabin, bunk or couchette."
paulBristle

Post by paulBristle »

Legal or not. With all that traveling you'd probably be burnt out in 6 months and waiting for the heart attack to happen
AndyHandy

Post by AndyHandy »

Sounds as though company would b using drivers time on ferry as rest cant have just 24 hrs a week rest after 1st week
JamieHipur

Post by JamieHipur »

AndyHandy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:26 pm Sounds as though company would b using drivers time on ferry as rest cant have just 24 hrs a week rest after 1st week
The travelling time is not work if the operating centre is in Birkenhead. If the operating centre is somewhere other than Birkenhead, that's a whole different ball game on several counts!
AndyHandy

Post by AndyHandy »

JamieHipur wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:26 pm
AndyHandy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:26 pm Sounds as though company would b using drivers time on ferry as rest cant have just 24 hrs a week rest after 1st week
The travelling time is not work if the operating centre is in Birkenhead. If the operating centre is somewhere other than Birkenhead, that's a whole different ball game on several counts!
it doesn't sound At all legal
JamieHipur

Post by JamieHipur »

AndyHandy wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:27 pm
JamieHipur wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:26 pm
it doesn't sound At all legal
it's certainly not advisable, but if the "operating centre that the driver is based at" is Birkenhead, then it's perfectly legal 🙁
crocithm09

Post by crocithm09 »

Here is the script from dvrs hrs rules and regs on travelling to and from work to your vehicle if your not sure people simples
Drivers are sometimes required to travel to a goods vehicle they are required to drive, or from a vehicle they have driven.
Where a vehicle which is in scope of the EU rules is neither at the driver’s home nor at the employer’s operational centre where the driver is normally based, but is at a separate location, time spent travelling to or from that location to take charge of the vehicle, regardless of the mode of transport, cannot be counted as a rest or break, unless the driver is on a ferry or train and has access to a sleeper cabin (if interrupting a regular weekly rest period), or a sleeper cabin, bunk or couchette (if interrupting a regular daily rest period or a reduced weekly rest period). Even if the driver is not paid or makes the decision themselves to travel to or from home/base the travel time cannot be counted as rest or break.
For example: If a driver had to travel for 1 hour by car, on public transport or as a passenger, to pick up a vehicle from a location that was not their home or normal operating base then this time would count as other work. Similarly, if they had to travel back by car, on public transport or as a passenger, from a location that was not their normal operating base, this would count as other work.
A driver who has driven a vehicle in scope of EU rules and has completed their maximum driving time (9 or 10 hours) may be driven back to base or home (e.g. by travelling in a car or as a passenger on a coach), provided they are not required to start a daily rest period or a weekly rest period before reaching base. They should record this activity as other work or availability, depending on whether they undertake additional work, such as navigating, while a passenger.
McCuthwor

Post by McCuthwor »

Im pretty sure i know the company too, and if im right they run you too the line 24/7

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”