What should I look out for when leasing a van? Any ideas or tips? I believe they don't lease to some couriers? I'm

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
ChrisVivid

What should I look out for when leasing a van? Any ideas or tips? I believe they don't lease to some couriers? I'm

Post by ChrisVivid »

What should I look out for when leasing a van? Any ideas or tips?
I believe they don't lease to some couriers? I'm a sole trader
I'm in a catch 22 situation.
I'm into my 3rd year working in this industry.
I have some contract work for retail delivering furniture I also cover house moves and some other ad-hoc items like engines and parts etc.
I started off with a high mile Renault traffic worth €500 with the wrong insurance (I genuinely didn't know)
Then I bought my Transit. She's been good to me and that's when i started getting really busy (and correct insurance).
Now the van is clocking up the miles and I'm considering leasing for a year while I save up to buy in the future.
What should I look out for when leasing a van? Any ideas or tips?
I believe they don't lease to some couriers? I'm a sole trader
Looking 1-2 years with full repair and maintenance
liamDiam

Re: What should I look out for when leasing a van? Any ideas or tips? I believe they don't lease to some couriers? I'm

Post by liamDiam »

Your mileage will effect term
Of lease ie if your after a 12 month lease your going to have a very low mileage cap
JoSubject

Re: What should I look out for when leasing a van? Any ideas or tips? I believe they don't lease to some couriers? I'm

Post by JoSubject »

liamDiam wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:10 pm Your mileage will effect term
Of lease ie if your after a 12 month lease your going to have a very low mileage cap
how low?
liamDiam

Post by liamDiam »

JoSubject wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:10 pm
how low?
lease companies on short leases want low mile month vans back on short term 12/24 month lease as premium on resale value then if you specify high mileage on short terms they will hammer you on lease cost
JoSubject

Post by JoSubject »

liamDiam wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:10 pm
JoSubject wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:10 pm
how low?
lease companies on short leases want low mile month vans back on short term 12/24 month lease as premium on resale value then if you specify high mileage on short terms they will hammer you on lease cost
I got a quote for 50k monthly quote was same for 3 months as 24 but if go 12+ they give new, if under 12 is a stock/not new
ChrisVivid

Post by ChrisVivid »

interesting, I thought i could specify a given mileage per yesr.
liamDiam

Post by liamDiam »

ChrisVivid wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:11 pm
interesting, I thought i could specify a given mileage per yesr.
you can but cost will jump massively on shorter lease terms for higher miles
hayyken11

Post by hayyken11 »

I would Have thought you better buying one on finance than leasing.
ChrisVivid

Post by ChrisVivid »

hayyken11 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:12 pm I would Have thought you better buying one on finance than leasing.
I don't know if finance makes sense unless really desirable rates of payment. Say sub 600-700€ per month repayment + Motor tax, cvrt, maintenance in general
Good point thiugh. I'm still relatively new to transport industry so I'm asking questions and making mistakes but learning as i get better
SteSerene

Post by SteSerene »

Leased a LWB van for 3month minimum contract with a well known certain hire company when I started up, updated the mileage I was doing to about 1000 a week, price quadrupled from what they originally quoted, then couldn't replace like for like for size when it broke down on several occasions and were extremely an#l about the slightest mark on the thing and didn't get my deposit back because of it, for example they charged me most of my deposit because of two tiny scuffs on the edge of plastic bumper because apparently it was cheaper to replace whole bumper instead of repairing, even saw the van two months later with exactly the same small scuffs so the bumper was never even replaced, some of these places are absolute rip off merchants. Bought a van after and never looked back
ChrisVivid

Post by ChrisVivid »

SteSerene wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:18 pm Leased a LWB van for 3month minimum contract with a well known certain hire company when I started up, updated the mileage I was doing to about 1000 a week, price quadrupled from what they originally quoted, then couldn't replace like for like for size when it broke down on several occasions and were extremely an#l about the slightest mark on the thing and didn't get my deposit back because of it, for example they charged me most of my deposit because of two tiny scuffs on the edge of plastic bumper because apparently it was cheaper to replace whole bumper instead of repairing, even saw the van two months later with exactly the same small scuffs so the bumper was never even replaced, some of these places are absolute rip off merchants. Bought a van after and never looked back
seems like when you hire a car in holiday resorts and theres a tiny mark somewhere.
Did you buy new? I'm trying to avoid buying 2nd hand or at least get one less than 4 years old
SteSerene

Post by SteSerene »

ChrisVivid wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:19 pm
SteSerene wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:18 pm Leased a LWB van for 3month minimum contract with a well known certain hire company when I started up, updated the mileage I was doing to about 1000 a week, price quadrupled from what they originally quoted, then couldn't replace like for like for size when it broke down on several occasions and were extremely an#l about the slightest mark on the thing and didn't get my deposit back because of it, for example they charged me most of my deposit because of two tiny scuffs on the edge of plastic bumper because apparently it was cheaper to replace whole bumper instead of repairing, even saw the van two months later with exactly the same small scuffs so the bumper was never even replaced, some of these places are absolute rip off merchants. Bought a van after and never looked back
seems like when you hire a car in holiday resorts and theres a tiny mark somewhere.
Did you buy new? I'm trying to avoid buying 2nd hand or at least get one less than 4 years old
not new mate was on 64k, when I bought it 2 years ago, now approaching 170k but any time it needs any maintenance or anything no expense spared, it will look after you (we hope🤣) will never lease again mate will always finance if needed. Vans don't lose so much value generally either
gittoThug

Post by gittoThug »

In our line of work if your doing local distances eg Amazon parcelforce dpd then leasing may be a good option but if your doing long distances it's better to just buy
gittoThug

Post by gittoThug »

But just be aware if you get it on higher purchase and rent to buy they put mileage caps on as well
ChrisVivid

Post by ChrisVivid »

Appreciate all your information lads I've to figure out what to do next. Second hand vans "low mileage" are around €16-18,000 low mileage is around 95,000 miles. 2018 models.
My current van isn't long for this world and with increased miles comes increased mileage related issues
PatChapter

Post by PatChapter »

ChrisVivid wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:22 pm Appreciate all your information lads I've to figure out what to do next. Second hand vans "low mileage" are around €16-18,000 low mileage is around 95,000 miles. 2018 models.
My current van isn't long for this world and with increased miles comes increased mileage related issues
gotta be careful either way its lose lose, i bought a 70 plate boxer, 60k on it, manufacturer's warranty still, had it 2 months engine blew up, peugeot wanted me to pay 10k for a new engine, had a battle with them for 6 weeks. Tried charging me £50 a day 'storage' if i didnt take the van back. Its hard work out here 🙃
bevanHero

Post by bevanHero »

ChrisVivid wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:22 pm Appreciate all your information lads I've to figure out what to do next. Second hand vans "low mileage" are around €16-18,000 low mileage is around 95,000 miles. 2018 models.
and don’t bother to buy anything except Mercedes 2.2 or Renault 2.3 engines
ChrisVivid

Post by ChrisVivid »

Nice to see we can all compete but also part information and experiences here. I try to not ask silly questions. Something to mull over.. another issue is leasing here in Southern Ireland is very expensive compared to Northern Ireland or mainland uk.
malikSleek

Post by malikSleek »

You can get van Nav van hire with unlimited mileage friend of mine have, but he never driver more than 60k very lowest price £300 including vat per week. long wheelbase low loader and swb even cheaper
Miles are unlimited
https://www.navvanhire.co.uk/
MarkBandit

Post by MarkBandit »

Get a job, let someone else deal with it
ChrisVivid

Post by ChrisVivid »

MarkBandit wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:28 pm Get a job, let someone else deal with it
not sure I'm following you?
MarkBandit

Post by MarkBandit »

ChrisVivid wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:28 pm
MarkBandit wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:28 pm Get a job, let someone else deal with it
not sure I'm following you?
there trucks out there running at less than £2 a mile that run average 8 mpg, most vans range from 20-30 mpg and want £1.20 a mile, most only get below £1, and kid there selfs there making money!!! Go solo you might survive with right customers, if not, less stress and more family time is what’s more important working for someone that has past these hurdles!!

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”