What are your thoughts on this We as lorry driver's so called professional driver's have issues with car/van drivers

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
DaniRoyal

What are your thoughts on this We as lorry driver's so called professional driver's have issues with car/van drivers

Post by DaniRoyal »

What are your thoughts on this.
We as lorry driver's so called professional driver's have issues with car/van driver's not knowing how to join a motorway properly at proper speeds. So, earlier I was driving on the M6, a lorry was on the adjoining lane so I moved over to the second lane on cruise at 55mph, assuming that he/she would allow me to move back over and then if he/she wanted to overtake they can at their leisure. However, he/she was sat there half way down my trailer so I wondered how long this will go on 🤔 it went on for 18 miles until 4 lanes turned into 3. Even though he/she indicated to turn right I refused to move meaning they had to slow down and move in behind me. The rest is history. My point is we're quick to blame car/van drivers making our jobs hard, yet we (truckers) are our own worst enemy.
NigeMuch

Re: What are your thoughts on this We as lorry driver's so called professional driver's have issues with car/van drivers

Post by NigeMuch »

Who ever that was, is not a responsible driver. Probably a newbie. 18 miles?!! Or the good thing was for your to do is pull back, and let them in. Goes both ways!
eddieMedi

Re: What are your thoughts on this We as lorry driver's so called professional driver's have issues with car/van drivers

Post by eddieMedi »

NigeMuch wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:34 pm Who ever that was, is not a responsible driver. Probably a newbie. 18 miles?!! Or the good thing was for your to do is pull back, and let them in. Goes both ways!
your right, even when I’m getting overtaken once there along side if there start to struggle and we’re side by side I just knock it down a couple of clicks let him in not a problem
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

NigeMuch wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:34 pm Who ever that was, is not a responsible driver. Probably a newbie. 18 miles?!! Or the good thing was for your to do is pull back, and let them in. Goes both ways!
see normally, after a few minutes I'd be like yeah ok pal, you go. Purely for the benefit of other v8 drivers so they don't have to over take in the 3rd lane. But this time I thought, no. Fu*k it I'll see how long this goes on as I knew that eventually he/she would have to move over....
AchesMars

Post by AchesMars »

DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:40 pm
see normally, after a few minutes I'd be like yeah ok pal, you go. Purely for the benefit of other v8 drivers so they don't have to over take in the 3rd lane. But this time I thought, no. Fu*k it I'll see how long this goes on as I knew that eventually he/she would have to move over....
That’s not professional driving
NigeMuch

Post by NigeMuch »

you have just proved my point by your words. And this is just dangerous, not just to you but other road users.
NigeMuch

Post by NigeMuch »

just to let you know, if I was your driver assessor I would fail you, for not being a responsible driver, and causing a hazard to other road users.
SimonoHi

Post by SimonoHi »

bellend, just as bad as the other bellend
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

AchesMars wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:44 pm
That’s not professional driving
too right....
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

NigeMuch wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:49 pm
just to let you know, if I was your driver assessor I would fail you, for not being a responsible driver, and causing a hazard to other road users.
good thing I've already passed 🤣🤣
olyserd44

Post by olyserd44 »

DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:51 pm

heres the thing muppet, that guy could be driving vehicles like i have to drive, take a very long stretch of road to get up to speed, im guessing you’ve made an error of judgement, twice so by putting it up on here
AnthoChee

Post by AnthoChee »

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.
Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

AnthoChee wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:53 pm

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.
Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.
Exactly 👏👏👏
TayBuzz

Post by TayBuzz »

As a wagon driver myself if I'm going on a motorway and the wagon moves over I would slow down and let him get back in the first lane its happened to me just let off there are some knob wagon drivers
emmHorray

Post by emmHorray »

Back in the day drivers would help each other, but now it is just a race.
I blame day rates as these drivers need to cram a 15 hour day in to 10 hours so they are not on minimum wage.
Respect for fellow drivers is sadly at an all time low.
CaeLedger

Post by CaeLedger »

I've been driving trucks for over 25 years, I'm 3rd generation driver. It's a different game now than when I started. All mutual respect has gone, most lorry drivers now drive round like car drivers, tipper drivers are worse than van drivers, absolute road pirates.
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

CaeLedger wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:55 pm I've been driving trucks for over 25 years, I'm 3rd generation driver. It's a different game now than when I started. All mutual respect has gone, most lorry drivers now drive round like car drivers, tipper drivers are worse than van drivers, absolute road pirates.
I agreed, I've been on the road for a good few years now and there is hardly any respect between drivers. There are some bit not many. Unfortunately it's a case of, as long as I'm good that's all that matters. Shame really
CaeLedger

Post by CaeLedger »

DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:56 pm
CaeLedger wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:55 pm I've been driving trucks for over 25 years, I'm 3rd generation driver. It's a different game now than when I started. All mutual respect has gone, most lorry drivers now drive round like car drivers, tipper drivers are worse than van drivers, absolute road pirates.
I agreed, I've been on the road for a good few years now and there is hardly any respect between drivers. There are some bit not many. Unfortunately it's a case of, as long as I'm good that's all that matters. Shame really
yeah definitely mate
iorijohn25

Post by iorijohn25 »

lorry drivers who use their indicators seem to be a bit of a dying breed of late, especially when turning left or leaving roundabouts.
I've had a couple of near misses at junctions and roundabouts this week with other lorry drivers not using their indicators.
Since the covid pandemic the driving standards in this industry have just completely fallen through the floor.
CaeLedger

Post by CaeLedger »

iorijohn25 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:57 pm
lorry drivers who use their indicators seem to be a bit of a dying breed of late, especially when turning left or leaving roundabouts.
I've had a couple of near misses at junctions and roundabouts this week with other lorry drivers not using their indicators.
Since the covid pandemic the driving standards in this industry have just completely fallen through the floor.
yeah I've noticed that, trailer driver changed lanes on the M25 Infront of me a couple of days back and didn't bother to indicate, 15 foot Infront of me straight out no fucks given
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

those lorry drivers that don't indicate most definitely drive BMW cars 🤣
CaeLedger

Post by CaeLedger »

DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:57 pm
those lorry drivers that don't indicate most definitely drive BMW cars 🤣
sounds about right
Ryantanell

Post by Ryantanell »

I always thought in that situation the vehicle being overtaken had to lower its speed slightly to let you back in? Thus avoiding such long overtakes?
philipYoung

Post by philipYoung »

Ryantanell wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:02 pm I always thought in that situation the vehicle being overtaken had to lower its speed slightly to let you back in? Thus avoiding such long overtakes?
I agree, I was told it was a legal obligation when I was training for my test 🤣
KellyMind

Post by KellyMind »

Ryantanell wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:02 pm I always thought in that situation the vehicle being overtaken had to lower its speed slightly to let you back in? Thus avoiding such long overtakes?
correct highway code rule 168
AnthoChee

Post by AnthoChee »

Ryantanell

Post by Ryantanell »

AnthoChee wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:06 pm
thought that’s what my instructor said 👍🏻
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

I was told by my instructor and my examiner not to move over at all... 🤷‍♂️
tonyGlossy

Post by tonyGlossy »

You could also just ease off and pull in behind him 🤦. If it took 18 miles you may as well have just slowed down for 30 seconds
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

tonyGlossy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:07 pm You could also just ease off and pull in behind him 🤦. If it took 18 miles you may as well have just slowed down for 30 seconds
I agree, rightly or wrongly from my side I just thought I'd see how long it would take for that driver to do the decent thing.
tonyGlossy

Post by tonyGlossy »

DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:08 pm
tonyGlossy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:07 pm You could also just ease off and pull in behind him 🤦. If it took 18 miles you may as well have just slowed down for 30 seconds
I agree, rightly or wrongly from my side I just thought I'd see how long it would take for that driver to do the decent thing.
I mean if I was the other driver I would of let off early on tbh 🤷‍♂️ only 30 seconds of my time!
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

tonyGlossy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:08 pm
I mean if I was the other driver I would of let off early on tbh 🤷‍♂️ only 30 seconds of my time!
that would be the decent thing to do since I did move over meaning he didn't have to slow down.
MooneKid

Post by MooneKid »

DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:09 pm

that would be the decent thing to do since I did move over meaning he didn't have to slow down.
contradiction there tho, so he did what you intended for him and that was not to slow down 🤦🏻‍♂️
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

MooneKid wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:10 pm

contradiction there tho, so he did what you intended for him and that was not to slow down 🤦🏻‍♂️
not really bud, I'm assuming your a hgv driver and you should already know that If you are already on the motorway there is no law to say you should move over, it is the responsibility of the adjoining driver to slow down, speed up and join the motorway when safe to do so. So I moved over was the decent thing to do so he didn't have to slow down. Now the decent thing from him would have been to slow down, let me in and then overtake if he could.
My whole point of this status is that the respect between drivers has dropped.
gordBook

Post by gordBook »

DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:10 pm

not really bud, I'm assuming your a hgv driver and you should already know that If you are already on the motorway there is no law to say you should move over, it is the responsibility of the adjoining driver to slow down, speed up and join the motorway when safe to do so. So I moved over was the decent thing to do so he didn't have to slow down. Now the decent thing from him would have been to slow down, let me in and then overtake if he could.
slowing down would also be the decent thing for you to do as well, 18 mile you held him in for which is no different to you being held out.
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

gordBook wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:11 pm
DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:10 pm

slowing down would also be the decent thing for you to do as well, 18 mile you held him in for which is no different to you being held out.
yeah 100% but like I say, my aim, was just to see if he would let me back in. He didn't so I decided fu*k it'll keep going. Why be decent towards people that aren't
MickFollow

Post by MickFollow »

I absolutely agree with you on how it should be, however as a professional driver I would have sooner realized that I was perhaps more professional than the clown forcing you to stay in lane 2, backed off after a short while and moved in behind, you became part of the problem mate
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

MickFollow wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:12 pm I absolutely agree with you on how it should be, however as a professional driver I would have sooner realized that I was perhaps more professional than the clown forcing you to stay in lane 2, backed off after a short while and moved in behind, you became part of the problem mate
if it was in the day I'd definitely slow down however as there was hardly any traffic I was going to see how long it would take for him/her to slow down. I genuinely believe that had the 1st lane not gone off we would have been going like that for ages... sometimes in life you just have give in and sometimes keep going, this wasn't the time to give in.
alanKurisu

Post by alanKurisu »

DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:14 pm
MickFollow wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:12 pm I absolutely agree with you on how it should be, however as a professional driver I would have sooner realized that I was perhaps more professional than the clown forcing you to stay in lane 2, backed off after a short while and moved in behind, you became part of the problem mate
if it was in the day I'd definitely slow down however as there was hardly any traffic I was going to see how long it would take for him/her to slow down. I genuinely believe that had the 1st lane not gone off we would have been going like that for ages... sometimes in life you just have give in and sometimes keep going, this wasn't the time to give in.
give in?! It’s not a competition! It’s attitudes like that that can end up costing peoples lives, admittedly not in this case but it’s sets a bad precedent. I agree with you the adjoining driver should have let you past but when you realized that wasn’t going to happen It should have been you, as the professional. I’m sorry but I agree with your point but strongly disagree with your methods.
PatMarcs

Post by PatMarcs »

They say knights of the road..my opinion is alot of wankers of the road. No respect 😒 at all.. common sense is a thing of the past..
simpline74

Post by simpline74 »

My trucks restricted to 53 so I can't relate to this unfortunately, I'll never be in a situation where I'm not overtaken 🤣
Leechozzi8

Post by Leechozzi8 »

simpline74 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:17 pm My trucks restricted to 53 so I can't relate to this unfortunately, I'll never be in a situation where I'm not overtaken 🤣
I sympathize with you, the one I’ve been in today is limited at 53… it’s bad when caravans are passing ya
maguiRun

Post by maguiRun »

simpline74 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:17 pm My trucks restricted to 53 so I can't relate to this unfortunately, I'll never be in a situation where I'm not overtaken 🤣
53 if only. It would be a luxury ours are 50
simpline74

Post by simpline74 »

maguiRun wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:18 pm
53 if only. It would be a luxury ours are 50
my condolences 🤣
iorijohn25

Post by iorijohn25 »

If I'm in that situation in lane 1 of a fairly busy motorway and another lorry is flying down the slip road (and usually not looking what's actually going on in lane 1), I tend to hold them there until they start to run out of road and start slowing down - then I move over. This way, they're forced to actually look where they're going and it prevents them from speeding up too quickly holding you in the middle lane and pissing other drivers off or undertaking you.
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

iorijohn25 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:21 pm If I'm in that situation in lane 1 of a fairly busy motorway and another lorry is flying down the slip road (and usually not looking what's actually going on in lane 1), I tend to hold them there until they start to run out of road and start slowing down - then I move over. This way, they're forced to actually look where they're going and it prevents them from speeding up too quickly holding you in the middle lane and pissing other drivers off or undertaking you.
that's the thing, I genuinely believe that the driver didn't even see me there 🤣🤣🤣
GaryAuthor

Post by GaryAuthor »

I had a wagon yesterday determined to cause as much stress and trouble as possible for the Lad I was instructing.
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

GaryAuthor wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:22 pm I had a wagon yesterday determined to cause as much stress and trouble as possible for the Lad I was instructing.
madness, there is genuinely no need to be an arse
GaryAuthor

Post by GaryAuthor »

DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:22 pm
GaryAuthor wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:22 pm I had a wagon yesterday determined to cause as much stress and trouble as possible for the Lad I was instructing.
madness, there is genuinely no need to be an arse
it was his first drive. Only been on the road 20 minutes if that. Took a while to regain his confidence and composure.
boanKing

Post by boanKing »

Had it this morning, to many bellends behind the wheel of a truck and probably shouldn't be.
ChrisBob

Post by ChrisBob »

boanKing wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:23 pm Had it this morning, to many bellends behind the wheel of a truck and probably shouldn't be.
zero common sense, decency and logic
boanKing

Post by boanKing »

ChrisBob wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:24 pm
boanKing wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:23 pm Had it this morning, to many bellends behind the wheel of a truck and probably shouldn't be.
zero common sense, decency and logic
💯 no common sense.
dysonVamp

Post by dysonVamp »

Some right arseholes about pal
TimSpunky

Post by TimSpunky »

Personally I join at the best speed I can, if others have moved over I'll ease off let them in and once everyone is settled in I'll move out to over take if I'm faster. On daul carriageways or 2 lane motorways I'll sit behind the ever so slightly truck rather than hold the world up. As annoying as this scenario is and yes he/she should've eased of to let you in had the Police been around and had not much else to do, you would both have been pulled in. This is something they'll be doing more in the future aswell as picking on cars that sit in any lane other than the left, should it be clear.
Being a courteous driver is part of being a professional driver.
clemeHann

Post by clemeHann »

I assume for 18 miles you didn’t realise your vehicle have brakes to slow down and move behind the said lorry.
GeoffPrep

Post by GeoffPrep »

When I sat my theory test, I read that the vehicle being overtaken should slow down, thus allowing a safe and speedy manoeuvre. It seems too often that the inside vehicle doesn't realize, or ignores this. Bottom line, there is some very poor driving out there!
jameTeenz

Post by jameTeenz »

Ngl mate I wouldn’t have sat there 18 miles but as courtesy if someone moves over for me I’ll back off and flash them back over don’t need to make each others lives difficult
HensTrends

Post by HensTrends »

Unfortunately, there are too many screwdrivers passing their tests but don't actually have a clue of the real world 🤦
Personally, I'd have done a mile or 2 and then put my left indicator on, if he didn't back off then, I'd have moved closer until he woke up.
When joining, if a truck has had to move over and I can't join in front of it, I'll join at 50 and hold there until they're back in.
slaterGrey

Post by slaterGrey »

See this all too often and wagons hogging the middle lane like bloody car drivers
MarcoBug

Post by MarcoBug »

I can't believe you let it go on for 18 miles! Just swallow your pride and tuck in behind.
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

MarcoBug wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:28 pm I can't believe you let it go on for 18 miles! Just swallow your pride and tuck in behind.
🤣🤣 why, noat to do with pride. I would have gone for 50 miles. In my world you act like a di*k you get treated like a di*k... in my few years of trucking I'm starting to see and realize that's between us truckers 85% off the time it's a dog eat dog world out there 🤷‍♂️
MarcoBug

Post by MarcoBug »

DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:29 pm
MarcoBug wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:28 pm I can't believe you let it go on for 18 miles! Just swallow your pride and tuck in behind.
🤣🤣 why, noat to do with pride. I would have gone for 50 miles. In my world you act like a di*k you get treated like a di*k... in my few years of trucking I'm starting to see and realize that's between us truckers 85% off the time it's a dog eat dog world out there 🤷‍♂️
yeah I get that, unfortunately some people are like that but by staying alongside each other, you are both forcing people out to lane three if they want to overtake, which affects the flow of traffic. I'm not saying you're at fault but sometimes it's easier just to give in and not let it bother you. Personally I always ease off and flash the overtaking truck back in, if they've moved over to let me join - shame everyone doesn't do this.
DaniRoyal

Post by DaniRoyal »

MarcoBug wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:29 pm
DaniRoyal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:29 pm
yeah I get that, unfortunately some people are like that but by staying alongside each other, you are both forcing people out to lane three if they want to overtake, which affects the flow of traffic. I'm not saying you're at fault but sometimes it's easier just to give in and not let it bother you. Personally I always ease off and flash the overtaking truck back in, if they've moved over to let me join - shame everyone doesn't do this.
100% I agree with you mate and being honest, 90% of the time I try and do the decent thing, thats exactly why i moved over, but on this occasion I was on the M6 at 3am so not much traffic and I thought Ok since he isn't backing off I'll see what happens... I genuinely don't believe that he even noticed I was there 🤣🤣

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”