I’m struggling with reversing onto bays at night, when looking in the mirrors everything is just a glare. What’s

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
IANORBINA

Re: I’m struggling with reversing onto bays at night, when looking in the mirrors everything is just a glare. What’s

Post by IANORBINA »

Cheers guys, great knowing that others also had issues. I think the guy that tried to reverse I to me last night whilst I was reversing made me start overthinking things. Heated mirrors tbh never came across my mind, will have them on Monday.
Phoenix_Peter

Re: I’m struggling with reversing onto bays at night, when looking in the mirrors everything is just a glare. What’s

Post by Phoenix_Peter »

Open window and lean out
Get a good position and it’s half the battle
Slow speed but quick on the steering wheel
griffinorMS

Post by griffinorMS »

I find opening my windows takes alot glare away at night ..but not best idea when raining x
BENNIERR

Post by BENNIERR »

Everything on tick over, gives you plenty of time to adjust angle of entry...
And don't forget the saying
Dont be a k nt take a shunt
Best if luck fella your get there
eadieNeddy

Post by eadieNeddy »

There’s yellow glasses you can buy in services are meant be good for nighttime glare
WaynezerKing

Post by WaynezerKing »

Slow is good mate.. Get the thing as straight as you can, if ya have to shunt, make it a good one, 2 feet won't make a difference..
Phoenix_Peter

Post by Phoenix_Peter »

Open window and lean out
Get a good position and it’s half the battle
Slow speed but quick on the steering wheel
nicklin_Kylin

Post by nicklin_Kylin »

It's rare to get your trailer on the bay with your first attempt, and if you do it first time; you don't get a certificate! take a shunt or 8 shunts more if needed. Remember every single one of us had to learn to reverse.
StewFizz

Post by StewFizz »

You have to always reverse with windows down both sides. Far safer no radio on. You can use your ears then too. Go with looking out of window or try sunglasses. The better quality ones as reduce glare. I did find it worse when I was tired. I put a magnet white torch on the rear corner . Your going down to pick up number plate anyway. It sticks to the metal helps shine onto floor..cancels the glare of those stupidly placed lights. They should be placed higher or lower as you said they get in the mirrors. 😩😎
ChurchLead

Post by ChurchLead »

Once you get the hang of it you'll wonder what the fuss was about. Takes a bit but once you can reverse on a rainy night you can put a trailer anywhere.
PAULLXoxo

Post by PAULLXoxo »

I’ve always looked out of window and find it easier to get a true line but always check mirrors as well Everyone to his own.
martSlayer66

Post by martSlayer66 »

Stick ya heed out the window.... Not rocket science
13_faheyewer

Post by 13_faheyewer »

Stop panicking ffs lad. Get some of them
Yellow driving glasses may help.
34_huntecoon

Post by 34_huntecoon »

Use all of the above and use as many shunts as you need, get out the cab and look down your blindside a few times if unsure mate
JASH.ZAPP

Post by JASH.ZAPP »

Stick your head out, lights on, get out and look, don't be shy of asking someone to watch you back, most drivers will.
iainesysMO

Post by iainesysMO »

If your driving an auto, use crawler reverse.
JOHNSinfo

Post by JOHNSinfo »

Get a torch with a magnet, attach it to the end of your trailer 'bumper' pointing towards the ground.
34mouldrexa

Post by 34mouldrexa »

I do window down, hazards on and put the fog lights on and if you have a cab back lights or trailer back lights put them.
Hoffi.com

Post by Hoffi.com »

Get your eyes tested you may have astigmatism
75bevTruck

Post by 75bevTruck »

I struggle with reversing at night too. I'm in and out the cab all the time. Loads of shunts but I get there in the end. You will too. I find making sure the mirrors are clean and I stick my head out the window until I'm straight, then use my mirrors
AlanPlus

Post by AlanPlus »

Open the windows, make things clearer.
kennyMp

Post by kennyMp »

Like everyone else says… slowly does it, get out and look as many times as you need to, and ignore all the onlookers.
TOIVORYON

Post by TOIVORYON »

I used to hate reversing at night in the rain on to the p&o ferry out of Felixstowe millions of lights everywhere
05webberensp

Post by 05webberensp »

Take your time, wind down the windows, get out and look, follow your middle axle if the trailer has 3 as that's your tightest turning circle.
Allen+Press

Post by Allen+Press »

As above open windows, pull forward to take every inch to get straight. Depending on lights, found when sunny (on days) now helps to point mirrors down to reduce glare if makes sense. Your welcome to pm me if not clear geez.
craiggCray

Post by craiggCray »

Culina Stafford will kill or cure you 😂
ChrisBob

Post by ChrisBob »

craiggCray wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:42 pm Culina Stafford will kill or cure you 😂
if you can reverse on at the top end with an extended trailer bays 17 to 21 you can reverse anywhere.
18.andymess

Post by 18.andymess »

Windows down and when you feel a bump take a little steering lock off then listen for the scraping to stop
RobinnQU

Post by RobinnQU »

Put windows down, unless you've got a CF DAF, get out and look
Z_BIGRAND

Post by Z_BIGRAND »

New HGV Drivers Class 1 and 2 might be worth asking some new drivers how they do it and the challenges they have faced
leemena67

Post by leemena67 »

Stick your head out the window when reversing, and never be ashamed to get out and have a look, any decent person won’t judge you for it, it just the few idiots that will take the piss, but remember they have all been there at some point
45duggNicer

Post by 45duggNicer »

I find it good, to always have my hazards on when reversing at night. It maybe orange light, but it does help. Also get into the habit of sticking your head out of the window and physically look. Don't rely on your mirrors,
CarneParnell

Post by CarneParnell »

Steady patience and if needed get out and look
robedpan03

Post by robedpan03 »

Just take your time if not sure get out and have a look
robedpan03

Post by robedpan03 »

I've had a class one 40 years and still get it wrong on occasions never panic just pull forward and start again
AchesMars

Post by AchesMars »

There's no secret, practice brings confidence and with confidence it helps, but not everyone is perfect and no matter what we all have bad days and never stop learning 👍
61.maqqMC

Post by 61.maqqMC »

We used to practice the nose to tail exercise, you basically reverse out of a spot and spin around and put the trailer back exactly where it was in one movement, we spent a whole day just doing this, bloody good trainers at Stockport HGV, stayed with me for years that, I never had a problem reversing after that
WAYcallow

Post by WAYcallow »

Slow speed fast hands and if you have space use it.
haweendo.33

Post by haweendo.33 »

Slow & steady take as many shunts as you need.
1 day it'll just click & you'll wonder what all the stress is about.. I can put trailer on a bay between 2 trailers 1st time normally. But can I get it between 2 yellow lines in a wide open yard, nope never 🤬🤬🤬
Figure that 1 out
DarriBoxx

Post by DarriBoxx »

haweendo.33 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:54 pm Slow & steady take as many shunts as you need.
1 day it'll just click & you'll wonder what all the stress is about.. I can put trailer on a bay between 2 trailers 1st time normally. But can I get it between 2 yellow lines in a wide open yard, nope never 🤬🤬🤬
Figure that 1 out
if it's a tight reverse you concentrate, if you have loads of room you relax and go abit faster and c**k it up.
ARRONDNESS

Post by ARRONDNESS »

My advise is to lay off the alcohol.
evansMORE

Post by evansMORE »

Just tell the shunter to put it on ..lol
kestu_Park

Post by kestu_Park »

Get your eyes checked mate, your eye sight might be good in day light, but when night comes it might be struggle.
Varey.Spot

Post by Varey.Spot »

Take a breath mate. Don’t read into it to much. We all have to learn. So take your time. Shunt as many times as needed. There’s no reward for fastest reverse. If your next to another driver ask him for help if needed. If he’s old school he’ll show the ropes. Good luck driver
12AndClear

Post by 12AndClear »

If you have room try and go as far forward as possible and go back straight. If you need to get out a few times to check the bits you can’t see DO IT. Better than hearing that CRUNCH.
jeffMade10

Post by jeffMade10 »

Open the window and stick your head out.
garymdom.03

Post by garymdom.03 »

I wear glasses and the combination of mirrors and glasses distorts everything. Head out the window is the only way and don't be afraid to GOAL as many times as you need to
evawModda

Post by evawModda »

92Finneeno wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:07 pm Evan, you any tips mate??
buy a tipping trailer 😂
Paul+Mister

Post by Paul+Mister »

Always use all the space youve got to try and get straight on the bay you have to reverse onto!! If you have to, in the dark, look through the drivers window if one side is straight the other one will be!! BUT You should have reversing lights!!
duncanElite

Post by duncanElite »

Be helpful if bay Dock lights had a night setting so they are dimmer than during the day.
cookeHonda

Post by cookeHonda »

Try not to blindside, even if it means spinning round, look out your window and come in closely to the trailer on your window side. If in doubt, take a shunt.
34seanchet

Post by 34seanchet »

Nobody remembers how many times you shunt to get it right. But everyone remembers the time you got it wrong. Take your time.
ANDREWNess

Post by ANDREWNess »

May be sound daft! But turn your headlights off! Just use your side lights! You get a lot of glare from your headlights!
cassVampp

Post by cassVampp »

Put reverse, fog and hazards on and if you have a volvo drop your windows
Pricemerr44

Post by Pricemerr44 »

Maybe benefit from an up to date eye 👁 test you’d be surprised how often Our glasses can be improved on I found reversing at night onto bays in poor light 💡 was much improved after an eye test and new prescription for glasses 👓 (just a thought) otherwise plenty of practice 👍
beatzMADD

Post by beatzMADD »

I'm new too, just take you time, and get out to look, don't matter how many times it takes or shunts, it's a massive learning curve, if you struggle, ask a driver for help, everyone's been in you position, little help advice goes a long way, keep it up and good luck 👍
IANORBINA

Post by IANORBINA »

Thank you all for the reply.. Cheers..

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”