We received a PG9 due to the trailers brake actuator being unsecure. The trailer is not ours as we are a unit only

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
10jamenthe

We received a PG9 due to the trailers brake actuator being unsecure. The trailer is not ours as we are a unit only

Post by 10jamenthe »

We received a PG9 due to the trailers brake actuator being unsecure. The trailer is not ours as we are a unit only sub contractor. The PG9 is to us not the company who owns the trailer. Is this right? I'd argue that a brake actuator is not really something you'd spot on a walk round check. But we're pulling it so is it solely our responsibility?
GraemKixx

Re: We received a PG9 due to the trailers brake actuator being unsecure. The trailer is not ours as we are a unit only

Post by GraemKixx »

The responsibility for the trailer is the hauliers. As trailers don’t technically have to be declared on an o licence they are linked to the tractor unit (as far as I understand it) it will be you that will have to present the trailer at the DVSA testing station to receive the PG10 - unless you fixed it at site and had it lifted there and then
10jamenthe

Re: We received a PG9 due to the trailers brake actuator being unsecure. The trailer is not ours as we are a unit only

Post by 10jamenthe »

GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:59 pm The responsibility for the trailer is the hauliers. As trailers don’t technically have to be declared on an o licence they are linked to the tractor unit (as far as I understand it) it will be you that will have to present the trailer at the DVSA testing station to receive the PG10 - unless you fixed it at site and had it lifted there and then
The company who own it are another haulage firm by the way. They sorted the repair out straight away and they will be paying us the £80 fine but it still goes against us and I wasn't sure where we stood with it.
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

10jamenthe wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:00 pm
GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:59 pm The responsibility for the trailer is the hauliers. As trailers don’t technically have to be declared on an o licence they are linked to the tractor unit (as far as I understand it) it will be you that will have to present the trailer at the DVSA testing station to receive the PG10 - unless you fixed it at site and had it lifted there and then
The company who own it are another haulage firm by the way. They sorted the repair out straight away and they will be paying us the £80 fine but it still goes against us and I wasn't sure where we stood with it.
unfortunately your vehicle and driver are pulling it on your O Licence so it’s your responsibility. There was a previous thread about trailer mot discs being removed and that has an impact on hauliers like yourselves, that’s similar to the PMI although you are not responsible for the safety inspections you would be liable if you were stopped and they hadn’t been inspected.
Seems unfair in the main but I think it was to stop companies just pulling any trailer and neither company taking any responsibility
10jamenthe

Post by 10jamenthe »

GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:00 pm
unfortunately your vehicle and driver are pulling it on your O Licence so it’s your responsibility. There was a previous thread about trailer mot discs being removed and that has an impact on hauliers like yourselves, that’s similar to the PMI although you are not responsible for the safety inspections you would be liable if you were stopped and they hadn’t been inspected.
Seems unfair in the main but I think it was to stop companies just pulling any trailer and neither company taking any responsibility
Makes sense Mate, that's what I thought. We're pulling it so we're responsible. Cheers
LeoHear

Post by LeoHear »

It wasn't a fine, it was an immobilization release fee
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

LeoHear wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:01 pm

is that the clamping fine until it’s repaired?
LeoHear

Post by LeoHear »

GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:02 pm

yes
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

LeoHear wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:02 pm

yes
I was at the DVSA seminar in Kirkham in April and was surprised when they told us that if they have to get a third party to release the vehicle following repair the DVSA actually lose money on that fee
LeoHear

Post by LeoHear »

GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:03 pm

yes
I was at the DVSA seminar in Kirkham in April and was surprised when they told us that if they have to get a third party to release the vehicle following repair the DVSA actually lose money on that fee
Must have been an immediate PG9 for that to happen, and would have been released and prohibition cleared upon rectification
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

LeoHear wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:04 pm

yes
Must have been an immediate PG9 for that to happen, and would have been released and prohibition cleared upon rectification
would still impact the OP OcRS though?
LeoHear

Post by LeoHear »

GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:04 pm

Not quite true. Only a Vehicle Examiner can release a vehicle from an immediate prohibition and for drivers hours prohibitions usually if the prohibition expires out of hours
LeoHear

Post by LeoHear »

Yes, will effect OCRS
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

LeoHear wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:05 pm

Yes, will effect OCRS
yes sorry it was for drivers hours as they knew the time the driver would be free to continue and in this instance if was something like 3am let’s say. He went on to say exactly what you just did commented that if it was a repair they would remain immobilized until an examiner was able to re attend and assess
martellene8

Post by martellene8 »

An operator should have a system of ‘First Use Checks’. A first use check is a full PMI to ensure roadworthiness before you become responsible for it
martellene8

Post by martellene8 »

This is an important point a lot of operators miss. If you borrow, rent, use a trailer, it’s your responsibility and you get any PG9 etc that it attracts.
As a haulier I found the best option was have the trailer delivered to me (not my problem on the road) then have my workshop do a full first use inspection, document it etc and then we’d use the trailer.
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

martellene8 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:06 pm This is an important point a lot of operators miss. If you borrow, rent, use a trailer, it’s your responsibility and you get any PG9 etc that it attracts.
As a haulier I found the best option was have the trailer delivered to me (not my problem on the road) then have my workshop do a full first use inspection, document it etc and then we’d use the trailer.
Can be difficult if you are traction only running over UK or Europe delivering trailers from one depot to another you would have to be ahead of the game with requesting paperwork and then you get a trailer change when you get to the collection depot 🙄
martellene8

Post by martellene8 »

GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:07 pm
martellene8 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:06 pm This is an important point a lot of operators miss. If you borrow, rent, use a trailer, it’s your responsibility and you get any PG9 etc that it attracts.
Can be difficult if you are traction only running over UK or Europe delivering trailers from one depot to another you would have to be ahead of the game with requesting paperwork and then you get a trailer change when you get to the collection depot 🙄
I suppose I’d be condescending and ask you how important your O Licence is to you 😉
I fully understand the issues, all you can do is everything you can, but even getting an inspection report immediately before doesn’t mean anything, some places would just fill one in
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

martellene8 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:07 pm
I suppose I’d be condescending and ask you how important your O Licence is to you 😉
I fully understand the issues, all you can do is everything you can, but even getting an inspection report immediately before doesn’t mean anything, some places would just fill one in
two can play your condescending game 😉
I get your point but theory and reality are usually worlds apart in haulage game as I’m sure deep deep deep down you would agree!
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

in answer to how important is the O licence - if I got taken to see the lovely TC and I could argue I was pulling a trailer that had a valid MOT, was inside the safety inspection timeframe and the driver had carried out a drivers check then I don’t believe I would be at fault bcos I hadn’t carried out a first use inspection.
martellene8

Post by martellene8 »

GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:08 pm

in answer to how important is the O licence - if I got taken to see the lovely TC and I could argue I was pulling a trailer that had a valid MOT, was inside the safety inspection timeframe and the driver had carried out a drivers check then I don’t believe I would be at fault bcos I hadn’t carried out a first use inspection.
I would agree. It’s a compromise isn’t it? Risk verses profit etc. You can do a lot to protect yourself but it’s never going to be foolproof.
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

martellene8 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:09 pm

I would agree. It’s a compromise isn’t it? Risk verses profit etc. You can do a lot to protect yourself but it’s never going to be foolproof.
yeah without a shadow of doubt and ultimately we have to work to budgets delivery times and drivers hours it’s a lot to balance and the easy one there is to not bother with the compliance hence the reason as auditors and compliance companies we are all so busy!
martellene8

Post by martellene8 »

GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:09 pm

yeah without a shadow of doubt and ultimately we have to work to budgets delivery times and drivers hours it’s a lot to balance and the easy one there is to not bother with the compliance hence the reason as auditors and compliance companies we are all so busy!
I wouldn’t be quite as confident as you. Of course you are right, in front of a TC you’d have plenty of answers, and mitigating circumstances.
I’m sure you have read this but page 16 onwards plus throughout the book there are plenty of mentions of ‘first use inspections’.

https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

martellene8 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:10 pm

I wouldn’t be quite as confident as you. Of course you are right, in front of a TC you’d have plenty of answers, and mitigating circumstances.
I’m sure you have read this but page 16 onwards plus throughout the book there are plenty of mentions of ‘first use inspections’.

this states that it is best practice for the trailer owner to provide SI and first use but you was referring to you doing a first use inspection when you collect a trailer (I’m specifically referring to traction only here and not hiring)
martellene8

Post by martellene8 »

GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:11 pm

this states that it is best practice for the trailer owner to provide SI and first use but you was referring to you doing a first use inspection when you collect a trailer (I’m specifically referring to traction only here and not hiring)
If you read elsewhere in the same guide it highlights the importance of first use - and my opinions are based on a hauliers point of view. Traction or hire - you get the PG9, you get the OCRS points no matter what that guide says about traction.
I used to be involved in collecting/returning hire trailers for service/inspection and MOT. It was a nightmare and after a few months I dropped it, just too much risk for my O Licence.
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

martellene8 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:12 pm
GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:11 pm

If you read elsewhere in the same guide it highlights the importance of first use - and my opinions are based on a hauliers point of view. Traction or hire - you get the PG9, you get the OCRS points no matter what that guide says about traction.
I used to be involved in collecting/returning hire trailers for service/inspection and MOT. It was a nightmare and after a few months I dropped it, just too much risk for my O Licence.
I appreciate what your saying and it would be ideal to complete your own inspections I agree
yusulter40

Post by yusulter40 »

Surely the practicality of this is unworkable with traction only. I can't see Amazon, tnt or any other own trailer operations using a hauiler that wanted this information. Good driver walk rounds are the only reasonable weapon surely?
martellene8

Post by martellene8 »

yusulter40 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:13 pm Surely the practicality of this is unworkable with traction only. I can't see Amazon, tnt or any other own trailer operations using a hauiler that wanted this information. Good driver walk rounds are the only reasonable weapon surely?
As the OP has shown, a walk around doesn’t detect major issues likely to result in an immediate PG9.
yusulter40

Post by yusulter40 »

martellene8 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:13 pm
yusulter40 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:13 pm Surely the practicality of this is unworkable with traction only. I can't see Amazon, tnt or any other own trailer operations using a hauiler that wanted this information. Good driver walk rounds are the only reasonable weapon surely?
As the OP has shown, a walk around doesn’t detect major issues likely to result in an immediate PG9.
Sorry OP?
GraemKixx

Post by GraemKixx »

yusulter40 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:14 pm
Sorry OP?
original post
yusulter40

Post by yusulter40 »

GraemKixx wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:14 pm
yusulter40 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:14 pm

Sorry OP?
original post
👍
CoganTipp

Post by CoganTipp »

just wondering if DVSA wanted to know what have you done to make sure is not happening again. If they ask you to sent them something…

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”