Only spotted this this morning and I've read a few articles about it but not completely sure so looking for confirmation

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Addminr

Only spotted this this morning and I've read a few articles about it but not completely sure so looking for confirmation

Post by Addminr »

Only spotted this this morning and I've read a few articles about it but not completely sure so looking for confirmation. I have a Class 2 licence will I suddenly (soon) be able to drive Class 1 without taking a seperate test?
TIA
Puchince

Re: Only spotted this this morning and I've read a few articles about it but not completely sure so looking for confirma

Post by Puchince »

No youve got to take your class 1 but people with no class 2 can go straight to class 1 absolutely bizarre straight from a car to a 44 tonne truck plus no reverse or uncoupling the world has gone mad
Taruen

Re: Only spotted this this morning and I've read a few articles about it but not completely sure so looking for confirma

Post by Taruen »

Puchince wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:23 am No youve got to take your class 1 but people with no class 2 can go straight to class 1 absolutely bizarre straight from a car to a 44 tonne truck plus no reverse or uncoupling the world has gone mad
its how it used to be.. can't see a problem with it..
Dollma

Post by Dollma »

Puchince wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:23 am No youve got to take your class 1 but people with no class 2 can go straight to class 1 absolutely bizarre straight from a car to a 44 tonne truck plus no reverse or uncoupling the world has gone mad
yeah, cos nothing has changed in that time has it?
Taruen

Post by Taruen »

of course things have changed. But if you can pass the class 1 test then your trained and legal. The standard should "in theory" be the same..
But in reality we all know you learn much more when actually on the job.
And let's face it trucks generally speaking are easier to drive with many more driver aids than before.
BurntRocker

Post by BurntRocker »

We were no different back then,just that we didn’t have a social media to amplify our moaning and whinging.
Any half-sensible human being can be taught to drive ,(many did their car and Class One in the same test), an artic in a week or two.Then just take it slow and steady for a couple of months and they’ll be as good as anyone on here
lovedean

Post by lovedean »

you are missing everything. You think they will hop in class 1 take a test no. There’s going to be more training days. More focus on reversing and uncoupling ect. They aren’t just going out in an artic for a test. It’s going to be a longer process to get your class 1
Puchince

Post by Puchince »

im not missing anything i friends with some trainers i no exactly how it is thats my opinion…. Its easy to with someone sat telling you what to do
Taruen

Post by Taruen »

exactly my point. The standard to pass class 1 won't change.. admittedly they may have so much time driving heavy class 2 before being unleashed on the road but if the standard is set high enough it shouldn't be a problem..
Silverla

Post by Silverla »

Didn’t even used to have to have a car license. You could go straight into an artic pass the test to gain all your licenses (barring PSV)
Bootro

Post by Bootro »

this will simply mean that it will go back to the old way from not having ure HGV license straight to class 1, a driver would still need to be fully trained to drive.
Clough

Post by Clough »

no way will any company let a car driver with out a Hgv license drive one of there Artics on the road and they will never get insurance
ChikGnome

Post by ChikGnome »

I went from a car to a class one and a mate went straight to a class one without a car licence, although I believe that was error on someone's behalf in the DVLA.
Taruen

Post by Taruen »

From what I can gather it just means you can take class 1 without having to do class 2 1st.. like it used to be..
Elemence

Post by Elemence »

But it's fine when the rules change you won't need to do the reverse exercise or the couple uncouple, so it will be like a class 2 test anyway
lovedean

Post by lovedean »

Elemence wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:04 am But it's fine when the rules change you won't need to do the reverse exercise or the couple uncouple, so it will be like a class 2 test anyway
no. But you will need to prove to your instructors you can competently reverse and uncouple and recouple. They aren’t just getting rid and throwing everyone under a bus
Elemence

Post by Elemence »

Elemence wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:04 am But it's fine when the rules change you won't need to do the reverse exercise or the couple uncouple, so it will be like a class 2 test anyway
I'm sure not all Instructors/third parties will be whiter than white, there will be some bias. Look at cpc and when that first started and even now you could pay a little more, not attend and still get your hours
lovedean

Post by lovedean »

I think it’s mostly likely not to be a third party I’m sure that’s what they said in a statement. So probably will be regulated or some tape around it to stop instructors from faking it .. I mean you could say it about the examiners too. So there’s nothing stopping them.
Guilder

Post by Guilder »

the uncoupling coupling exercise is still included but will be covered by a third party not the examiner.
I don’t see a problem with that as it’s not rocket science to do.
The reverse exercise, I’ve never had to do that same manoeuvre in over 15years. Like everyone else I learned on the job.
Neowta

Post by Neowta »

The crucial part you seem to be missing is the "E" part. You have your cat C
The new rules will miss the C and go straight to C+E. You would have to do another test to gain your +E
Temench

Post by Temench »

I’m wondering what they’ll be doing to the price of class 1 upgrade as that’s the only thing holding me back upgrading from class 2 to class 1 at the mo
Taruen

Post by Taruen »

Temench wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:13 am I’m wondering what they’ll be doing to the price of class 1 upgrade as that’s the only thing holding me back upgrading from class 2 to class 1 at the mo
My personal opinion is anyone who paid for class 2 in the last say 12months should be given their test for free. As most would go straight for class 1 given the chance and has taken the class 2 as a matter of course. Not the training obviously just the test fee.. just my opinion..
WizardDigest

Post by WizardDigest »

Shows the intelligence of drivers seen so many posts about class 2 drivers being handed class 1 license

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”