So going from car licence to class 1 is a bad idea then? So how come there are thousands of us old gits that have done

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Solomonalor

So going from car licence to class 1 is a bad idea then? So how come there are thousands of us old gits that have done

Post by Solomonalor »

So going from car licence to class 1 is a bad idea then? So how come there are thousands of us old gits that have done it without any problems? Given the right training , with loaded trailers etc, then there is no reason it can't be done.
Calxseml

Re: So going from car licence to class 1 is a bad idea then? So how come there are thousands of us old gits that have do

Post by Calxseml »

The problem is the conditions we put up with are shit, back in the 80’s & 90’s it wasn’t such a bad job, but now days the job sucks, we’re treated like arseholes under paid & taken the piss out of
It’s about time the unions & RHA started to represented us & stuffed our thoughts to parliament & got them to change the laws & the way we are treated
Tellyza

Re: So going from car licence to class 1 is a bad idea then? So how come there are thousands of us old gits that have do

Post by Tellyza »

Calxseml wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:11 am The problem is the conditions we put up with are shit, back in the 80’s & 90’s it wasn’t such a bad job, but now days the job sucks, we’re treated like arseholes under paid & taken the piss out of
It’s about time the unions & RHA started to represented us & stuffed our thoughts to parliament & got them to change the laws & the way we are treated
unions are as good as pointless these days , they don't carry the power they once did - my place doesn't recognise them and personally I think the RHA doesn't really care as much about us twats on the front line as it does about about it media image. I do agree agree about the pay and conditions though
Calxseml

Post by Calxseml »

Calxseml wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:11 am The problem is the conditions we put up with are shit, back in the 80’s & 90’s it wasn’t such a bad job, but now days the job sucks, we’re treated like arseholes under paid & taken the piss out of
I agree with you on unions, my thoughts are, this industry needs a union who realise the power we the drivers have but don’t excersise.
Looking at the state of the country with just a shortage of hgv drivers, can you emagine the stress of joe public if we now walked out & said fuck the job & your deliveries, it would certainly make boris & the dick heads in Westminster rethink our conditions & wages we got.
Fuck the rha & unions let’s just say fuck off as we don’t really give a fuck anymore
Landergo

Post by Landergo »

You don’t learn shit until the first day on your own backing onto a bay! Good luck to all future newbies
CzarPop

Post by CzarPop »

So straight to class one with no reversing and no trailer coupling t hat means somebody going to make money on courses to do them so what you save on 2 test you end up paying out to do them
Wwjder

Post by Wwjder »

CzarPop wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:16 pm So straight to class one with no reversing and no trailer coupling t hat means somebody going to make money on courses to do them so what you save on 2 test you end up paying out to do them
They are part of the driving course now . Assessment is by the instructors rather than the examiner
Tellyza

Post by Tellyza »

CzarPop wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:16 pm So straight to class one with no reversing and no trailer coupling t hat means somebody going to make money on courses to do them so what you save on 2 test you end up paying out to do them
I went straight to class 1. Yes I did the reversing but I didn't have to do the uncoupling / coupling but, it was just saying how it was done. That was in the mid 90s
Wallmann

Post by Wallmann »

Only had 2 driving jobs first one 10 yrs rigid then through recommendation had phone call to drive class 1 no assessment 111 and off I went with them 27 yrs so where’s the problem we just asked another driver end of story
Charite

Post by Charite »

the problem we have just now is the standard of driving just now is absolutely shocking, which will just be made even worse when this kicks in
Teoneter

Post by Teoneter »

I don’t have a problem with going straight to a class 1, that’s what I did when I did mine 30 odd years ago and it seems to if worked out OK. My issue is the young ones like my son that have paid to do two tests at great expense so they can get into the industry. All that effort and hard earned money was obviously a pointless exercise, they have been ripped off, if you didn’t need two tests before and you don’t need two tests now they obviously didn’t need two tests in between. They should get a refund.
FlashyKing

Post by FlashyKing »

Teoneter wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:24 pm I don’t have a problem with going straight to a class 1, that’s what I did when I did mine 30 odd years ago and it seems to if worked out OK. My issue is the young ones like my son that have paid to do two tests at great expense so they can get into the industry. All that effort and hard earned money was obviously a pointless exercise, they have been ripped off, if you didn’t need two tests before and you don’t need two tests now they obviously didn’t need two tests in between. They should get a refund.
a refund so you buy a house or a car 6 months later someone buys same thing only cheaper do you go and ask for a refund ffs
Teoneter

Post by Teoneter »

Teoneter wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:24 pm I don’t have a problem with going straight to a class 1, that’s what I did when I did mine 30 odd years ago and it seems to if worked out OK. My issue is the young ones like my son that have paid to do two tests at great expense so they can get into the industry. All that effort and hard earned money was obviously a pointless exercise, they have been ripped off, if you didn’t need two tests before and you don’t need two tests now they obviously didn’t need two tests in between. They should get a refund.
probably not but I do feel quite sorry for the young ones that have put in all the effort to see it basically belittled because the industry is desperate.
HanMdogg

Post by HanMdogg »

I didn’t get a refund when I bought my 1st house for £50 k and sold it for £36 k in the early 90s . Took it on the chin you can’t win them all
Calxseml

Post by Calxseml »

do you hold a class one vocational, no you don’t you drive a 7 1/2 toner for the Royal Mail & think your a big trucker.
So don’t comment on issues us real lorry drivers have
BotBull

Post by BotBull »

I think it’s mainly people who had to pay for both tests that are complaining now. Probably feeling robbed
Solomonalor

Post by Solomonalor »

BotBull wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:43 pm I think it’s mainly people who had to pay for both tests that are complaining now. Probably feeling robbed
can't blame them but life goes on and people just have to live with it. You can't change what has happened.
BotBull

Post by BotBull »

BotBull wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:43 pm I think it’s mainly people who had to pay for both tests that are complaining now. Probably feeling robbed
like I’ve said to someone today - my grandparents paid for their house less than I have to pay in deposit alone not fair, but it is what is, life keeps moving on and crying about it being unfair is not going to change a thing
FleaIce

Post by FleaIce »

No problem with jumping straight to class 1 it’s the scrapping the reverse manoeuvre and coupling/uncoupling on the test that seems a bit daft.
GrinderStoop

Post by GrinderStoop »

I'm just pissed of because I had to pay for class 2 in-between like many others on here but when the shit hits the fan the government just say fuck it
Toolsae

Post by Toolsae »

GrinderStoop wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:45 pm I'm just pissed of because I had to pay for class 2 in-between like many others on here but when the shit hits the fan the government just say fuck it
did you moan when the car licence changed and they had to take a test to tow a trailer ?
GrinderStoop

Post by GrinderStoop »

GrinderStoop wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:45 pm I'm just pissed of because I had to pay for class 2 in-between like many others on here but when the shit hits the fan the government just say fuck it
hi mate it should not of changed should still get 7.5 ton on your license then work up at least then you drive some sort of a heavy vehicle then do class 1 at the end anyone with some sense should be able to tow a small trailer if not don't bother getting a class1 1
Kahoon

Post by Kahoon »

not particularly moan I just did it anyway, I passed my car test on a Friday 10 days after my 17th birthday and on the Sunday I did a 300 mile round trip with a Sherpa and a trailer weighing close to 7 tonne.
Solomonalor

Post by Solomonalor »

I must admit, i feel sorry for you guys and girls who have had to go through the current system. Unfortunately people just have to accept what is happening.
Guyndom

Post by Guyndom »

All sounds great right up until someone gets killed between unit and trailer. With people rushing eager to impress their boss. As my old granddad said to me when I passed my car test "its a licence that can kill treat it with respect and responsibility"
Wackyat

Post by Wackyat »

The way some of these pre-madonas are speaking suddenly over night there’s going to be hundreds of car drivers jumping behind the wheel of an attic with no training and flying up and down the roads. But I agree scraping the reverse and coupling procedures seems crazy as dose the removal of any formal training or testing of car drivers before towing trailers up to 3.5t
LabsBurnt

Post by LabsBurnt »

Wackyat wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:54 pm The way some of these pre-madonas are speaking suddenly over night there’s going to be hundreds of car drivers jumping behind the wheel of an attic with no training and flying up and down the roads. But I agree scraping the reverse and coupling procedures seems crazy as dose the removal of any formal training or testing of car drivers before towing trailers up to 3.5t
what's the point of the dogleg reversing procedure on the test? It doesn't really set you up for doing it on the job, you don't really learn to reverse until you're working with all the different situations in which you have to do it in the real world, getting on a loading bay or into a tight parking gap in a line of trailers, nearside reverses etc.
Also, I'm not sure of the point of the coupling and uncoupling part either as you only need showing once or twice, if you can't do it on your own after that you've probably made the wrong career choice. I don't think my lessons or test back in 1992 did anything to cover coupling and uncoupling, I watched someone else do it and copied them.
By the way, dose is what you do with medicines.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”