Will a category c licence automatically become a c+e licence or will you need to take a test. I'm guessing there won't

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Megamy

Will a category c licence automatically become a c+e licence or will you need to take a test. I'm guessing there won't

Post by Megamy »

Will a category c licence automatically become a c+e licence or will you need to take a test. I'm guessing there won't be category c anymore
Blakeca

Re: Will a category c licence automatically become a c+e licence or will you need to take a test. I'm guessing there won

Post by Blakeca »

I think lots will fail the test going from car to class 1. The training would have to include some driving in a rigid first.
Cititan

Re: Will a category c licence automatically become a c+e licence or will you need to take a test. I'm guessing there won

Post by Cititan »

Blakeca wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:45 am I think lots will fail the test going from car to class 1. The training would have to include some driving in a rigid first.
I think its very possible the format will include at least 3 days driving a rigid followed by maybe 5 days including test in artic.
Blakeca

Post by Blakeca »

Blakeca wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:45 am I think lots will fail the test going from car to class 1. The training would have to include some driving in a rigid first.
I reckon most would need at least that to stand a chance of passing the test
Cititan

Post by Cititan »

it's been a while since I passed but at the time it seemed most tests were on a Friday following a week of training so having say, an 8 day, training schedule tests could be done on most week days obviously not always starting on a Monday and finishing on a friday
Stormet

Post by Stormet »

There are only time pressures if you allow yourself to be pushed. My reply for an ETA on any delivery is subject to weather and traffic conditions it will get there when it gets there. They have stopped asking now.
Blakeca

Post by Blakeca »

I'm the same and I don't get pushed anyway but some do and that's not the way it used to be. You didn't have trackers/ mobiles/ live traffic ect in the past
Iamati

Post by Iamati »

I had to take an Artic into central Keighley as I recall, busy little place. Admittedly we didn't have the boy racers and entitled attitudes in such numbers then, but they existed nonetheless.
Stormet

Post by Stormet »

I sat my Class 1 30yrs ago and I've never had a problem. So many people pissed off with the changes. You were all pissed off when doing Class 2 then Class 1 was introduced. Get over yourselves shit happens deal with it.
CapoIdeal

Post by CapoIdeal »

Driving an artic is so totally different from driving a rigid, they won't just automatically upgrade licences. There would be accidents galore and injuries to boot.
Issueen

Post by Issueen »

do you think a company will take people on give them a full load with a tractor and trailer costing thousands of pounds and no experiance i dont think so
Riceres

Post by Riceres »

Issueen wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:10 am do you think a company will take people on give them a full load with a tractor and trailer costing thousands of pounds and no experiance i dont think so
that's what they use to do , the only part you've missed is the bundles of rope and some sheets to hold the load down, most got through with no problems, because guys watching them could tell they hadn't got much experience so they gave advice, helped them out, bit like today's drivers NOT
Thinhr

Post by Thinhr »

No. You will still have to take a C+E test. They won't let anyone just drive an Artic..
The only thing thats missing is class2. You can now go straight to class1 without doing class2. Same as it was years ago.
Iamati

Post by Iamati »

Thinhr wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:15 am No. You will still have to take a C+E test. They won't let anyone just drive an Artic..
The only thing thats missing is class2. You can now go straight to class1 without doing class2. Same as it was years ago.
actually, you did Class3 (2 axles 17t)then if you wanted tipper work or 3/4 axles you did Class2. Class1 was Artics. Some people didn't need to the Class1 so just did Class2. I also think you could drive a Wagon & Drag with a Class3 if my memory serves me right.
Then they amalgamated Class3&2 into Class C and introduced C+E for Artic and Drawbar work .
Thinhr

Post by Thinhr »

Thinhr wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:15 am No. You will still have to take a C+E test. They won't let anyone just drive an Artic..
Yeah i know mate. I was just trying to keep it simple lol. I think Wagin and drag on class3 was combined weight of 12ton. I could be wrong, it was a while ago lolol
ChikkBrainy

Post by ChikkBrainy »

I don’t understand most of it..I’m assuming you’ve still got to take the c+e test.
Taking an artic out straightaway without supervision regardless of driving C first is completely different although admittedly I preferred driving unit+trailer.
Shitty deal if you’re class two as people can now just bypass you but you’ve got the experience in driving HGV so have a better chance in passing first time.
Mands

Post by Mands »

My neighbour literally 2 weeks ago took and passed his B+E test £350. Only to find out in due course he could have it free
ListSo

Post by ListSo »

So guys what yous are saying then is you still need to go for lessons and test if you want to drive class 1 even if you have your class 2
Salfootoo

Post by Salfootoo »

ListSo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:43 am So guys what yous are saying then is you still need to go for lessons and test if you want to drive class 1 even if you have your class 2
you probably could if you want but unless you pass you won't get a class I licence
Vodne

Post by Vodne »

There won't be a test anymore just a short drive with with congratulations at the end pal. Get yourself booked in
Bacheers

Post by Bacheers »

Just turn up at your local DVSA testing centre, tell them you’re there to collect your upgrade certificate. And then send it to DVLA with your licence.
Katreq

Post by Katreq »

Will I be able to fly passenger planes now I used to have a remote control plane as a kid
Javayusp

Post by Javayusp »

I've heard today that b+e is scrapped but C1 and C still exist. If C+E isn't your thing you can still just test for your C
Sellava

Post by Sellava »

The only reason our class 1,2 & 3 license,the 7 1/2 down to 3 ton And the bead to take a test with car and trailer/ caravan was to come into line with Europe.No doubt you will find some of the E U MP's have shares in driving schools.
Inesix

Post by Inesix »

You will need to make 3 tandam jumps then 2 solo jumps and your 1 solo in the nude...so have a pee before a jump.
GhoulKatr

Post by GhoulKatr »

If you have category C you still need to train for C+E lol its if you're going from a car to a HGV you now go straight to C+E, you still need +E training unless it's B+E
Wizro

Post by Wizro »

From what I’ve been reading there will still be a category C if you wish to drive rigid only. Opt to take Category C+E you bypass Category C exact same way you get C1 automatically after completing Category C. Training company’s will still charge the same price for the training. I reckon if you choose to take C+E straight away, training companies may take you out in a rigid to get you used to HGV on a public road.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”