So I see people can now go straight in for Class 1 bypassing Class 2 .....But without the important basics of having to

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Ficingdi

So I see people can now go straight in for Class 1 bypassing Class 2 .....But without the important basics of having to

Post by Ficingdi »

So I see people can now go straight in for Class 1 bypassing Class 2 .....But without the important basics of having to couple up, uncouple and no reversing on the test??
Claredg

Re: So I see people can now go straight in for Class 1 bypassing Class 2 .....But without the important basics of having

Post by Claredg »

Lets be honest, you only learn to reverse once you're on the job.
I may buy some stocks in suzzie manufacturers though...
Qedishi

Re: So I see people can now go straight in for Class 1 bypassing Class 2 .....But without the important basics of having

Post by Qedishi »

Claredg wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:38 am Lets be honest, you only learn to reverse once you're on the job.
exactly, when I did my reverse on the test the area was nowhere near as tight as what the instructor had set it.
HanMdogg

Post by HanMdogg »

Claredg wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:38 am Lets be honest, you only learn to reverse once you're on the job.
I never done coupling and uncoupling on my test .if you read it it says reversing will be tested by a dvsa qualified instructor during the training to make the tests shorter . What is difference . I don’t know about you but I done my reversing on a piece of ground away from the road not at a rdc trying to get on a bay
Felineox

Post by Felineox »

Well the hourly rate has gone up so we should earn even more money sitting in jams on the motorway while the highway wombles close the road for hours clearing up after all the accidents that this could potentially cause.
Nelottle

Post by Nelottle »

This is happening, regardless of how much we moan about it. Lets help these new people out when we see them. If they do struggle, a little guidance will go along way and hopefully bring back the respect of one another whilst out on the road.
Ficingdi

Post by Ficingdi »

Nelottle wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:59 am This is happening, regardless of how much we moan about it. Lets help these new people out when we see them. If they do struggle, a little guidance will go along way and hopefully bring back the respect of one another whilst out on the road.
I don't think people are moaning it's very surprising how far they are willing to relax without checking full competency. Yes everyone has to start somewhere to gain experience we have all been there.
Nelottle

Post by Nelottle »

Nelottle wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:59 am This is happening, regardless of how much we moan about it. Lets help these new people out when we see them. If they do struggle, a little guidance will go along way and hopefully bring back the respect of one another whilst out on the road.
i understand what you are saying, but just read some of the comments on this thread, that shows how much we like a moan 🤣. I did watch someone say, that you are not taught to drive a hgv, but to learn spacial awareness, how to understand the size, cornering and how to reverse, as you already know how to drive from doing car licence.
Daffinn

Post by Daffinn »

mibby we should stick together and have a 5 day strike!!!
Thay are taking the donald duck out of us and we are sitting back and taking it!!
Lets have a strike and fuck it up!!!
Reedhur

Post by Reedhur »

Ridiculous in my opinion. Half the job is knowing how to reverse an artic and do a trailer swap.
Personally I can't wait for the pre Xmas run up carnage when the driver shortage really hits home to the general public. Its been brewing for years and the government have never taken any notice.
AwareSummers

Post by AwareSummers »

I think its a joke too. Straight from 3.5t to 44t and the coupling and uncouple as well gunna be deadly. The reverse however, let's be honest is bullshit, doesn't set u up for real life at all
BrainyTips

Post by BrainyTips »

AwareSummers wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:23 am I think its a joke too. Straight from 3.5t to 44t and the coupling and uncouple as well gunna be deadly. The reverse however, let's be honest is bullshit, doesn't set u up for real life at all
I went straight to my class 1 thirty years ago after driving a car for only 6 months and didn’t do me any harm
AwareSummers

Post by AwareSummers »

AwareSummers wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:23 am I think its a joke too. Straight from 3.5t to 44t and the coupling and uncouple as well gunna be deadly. The reverse however, let's be honest is bullshit, doesn't set u up for real life at all
I understand most older drivers did however roads were different then alot less cars and hazards to deal with deal than today. Admittedly I done my class 2 and went straight for 1 after and alot of natural drivers will be fine also. However alot will need experience before going straight to artics. Just my views, I don't agree with it tbh.
BrainyTips

Post by BrainyTips »

no mobile phone, no satnav, no auto and no auto hold hill start and no reverse cameras …. There’s truckers and then there’s truckers
AwareSummers

Post by AwareSummers »

exactly more sense, better problem solving then. And u say mobile phones too how many ate dependant on them and will use them whilst drive a 44 tonner. How many will follow sat nav with no sense. Like u say u get truckers and then there's truckers lol
gazettebliki

Post by gazettebliki »

I personally think we are going backwards. I've worked in the industry a long time (I passed my test in 1995 when you could go straight from car to 40/41 tonne artic). I've had to assess drivers sent from agencies and Ive had agency drivers rock up. Standard instruction was you have to perform a coupling and uncoupling maneuver and you'll be out for 20/30 mins or so for a 'driving assessment'. I'm not teaching you how to drive I'm just checking your safe in our truck. The agencies will send you anyone. Changing the law so that car drivers can go straight to 44 tonnes is a dangerous backwards step. Yes 20/30 years ago it may have worked because you were set on by a company who mentored you, sat you in with their experienced drivers and you learnt the trade. Doesn't happen now. 50/60% enrol with Fly By Night Agency and their only criteria is you've got a Class 1/ C&E. I've been in to companies where you're given a start time, you rock up and you're handed notes, keys and a reg and that's it you're on your own. No one questions your experience they just want the truck out and the job delivered. Although there are people who sit the Class 2/C and go straight to Class 1/C+E without doing Class 2/C work a lot do rigid work and progress. At least with this route the person has driven a laden LGV and understands the physics of push and pull... And how the vehicle handles full loaded. Going straight from an empty artic to a fully laden 44 tonne truck is a recipe for disaster.
Downsmus

Post by Downsmus »

Let's see how many pass for one, and how many bridge strikes, stuck vehicles, damage buildings etc, at least doing your class 2 first gives you some idea of the size difference driving from a car..... But from a car to class One????just my opinion OK, don't need arsehole replies, got me kicked off of here for a while last time I got involved with one of those know it all pricks
Propheadsh

Post by Propheadsh »

Downsmus wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:33 am Let's see how many pass for one, and how many bridge strikes, stuck vehicles, damage buildings etc, at least doing your class 2 first gives you some idea of the size difference driving from a car..... But from a car to class One????just my opinion OK, don't need arsehole replies, got me kicked off of here for a while last time I got involved with one of those know it all pricks
that’s how I got my class 1 then the government changed the rules so you had to do your class 2 first, now that rule is biting them on the backside with a driver shortage.
Coolditt

Post by Coolditt »

Downsmus wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:33 am Let's see how many pass for one, and how many bridge strikes, stuck vehicles, damage buildings etc, at least doing your class 2 first gives you some idea of the size difference driving from a car..... But from a car to class One????just my opinion OK, don't need arsehole replies, got me kicked off of here for a while last time I got involved with one of those know it all pricks
I have been driving buses for 25 years I have a bendy bus licence...
I still have to take 2 test to get into a 44 t wagon and yet a class 2 can drive a bus with out a test I carry people which is a bit different to carrying a load I know why can I go to class 1 and bypass cl2 just another way to get money out of me that's the way I see it...my dad drove buses for 15 years he went straight to cl1 in the 90's why can't I just another tax I think I have rent the right to goto class 1 and bypass cl2...I still think there should be a test for pulling a caravan but that's just me
Downsmus

Post by Downsmus »

na no t that young, but yeah the old man god bless him got me behind the wheel.. Early in life, And thinking about it riding a motorbike as well so yeah answer to your question, did start a bit early
Gurlecom

Post by Gurlecom »

Doing your class 2 was just a money grab
Nothing wrong with going straight to class 1
But you definitely need training on reversing and hitching up to a trailer
Ficingdi

Post by Ficingdi »

Gurlecom wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:49 am Doing your class 2 was just a money grab
Nothing wrong with going straight to class 1
But you definitely need training on reversing and hitching up to a trailer
exactly I know lots of people who back in the day could go straight to class1 but it's the important basics or reversing and coupling/uncoupling.
KavenVenue

Post by KavenVenue »

I see if you have a car licence from 1997 there letting people get BE added automatically. But people with class 2 only don’t get Class 1 added automatically surely that’s safer than letting someone with no class 2 go straight to a class 1
Omnemacy

Post by Omnemacy »

KavenVenue wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:52 am I see if you have a car licence from 1997 there letting people get BE added automatically. But people with class 2 only don’t get Class 1 added automatically surely that’s safer than letting someone with no class 2 go straight to a class 1
If you have any aptitude for the job you can appreciate one is beef the other is pork .
I've done 39 years class one with the odd day or two class 2 in amongst it , they're bloody awful things but I can drive them ,probably a bit slower on the corners and roundabouts but it's all a matter of " feel"
AwareSummers

Post by AwareSummers »

Alot on here are mentioning back in there day they done it. Far enough however things were different back then, less traffic less hazards and less idiots back then. Also people back then had more common sense than people these days
Plichear

Post by Plichear »

Past my test 38 years ago did a few months second man before test then took advice and help of other drivers but these days you can’t get help or advise off drivers they’d sooner videos driver struggle then put it all over fb to take the piss or get em the sack… and what’s the difference they let 18 year old boy racers have a hgv that’s only had a car license 12 months
Qualine

Post by Qualine »

To be fair the couple and uncouple did fuck all to help me after passing in a wag and drag them 2 years later starting on artics. Never driving a wag and drag in between.
The reverse is also completely irrelevant to anything in the real world.
Putting a new pass out with any experienced driver backing on to bays for a day will give them more of a clue than any shit done in the test.
Apitch

Post by Apitch »

Its ok governments givin them a free pass to a class 1 job...good luck finding insurance companies to cover these drivers. Firms struggle 2 insure under 25s with less than 6 month experience...people who passd after these new rules come in have no chance of gettin insured
Bruitax

Post by Bruitax »

We’d all like to think this is a skilled job I would too . but let’s face it you could literally pass your class 1&2 in 2 weeks before any of these changes so don’t think it will make too much difference. there has always been nervous inexperienced drivers out there and I’m sure they will get some sort of decent enough training to cope
Buffywi

Post by Buffywi »

I went straight for my class one , and only had to tell them how to couple up, no practical , but did have to do the reversing, they should at least do that, but at the end of the day I don’t think it’s going to bring many applicants, people simply don’t want to be a truck driver
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

If you believe some of the media about the currently qualified, professional HGV drivers thumping bridges, ignoring basic driving rules such as phones, weight limits etc, surely they are no better than any new driver. Remember, There is a whole spectrum of drivers out there from the brilliant to the abysmal.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”