Anyone do Night trunking for parcel company? If so what are the good and bad points please? I've got hardly any class 1

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
BeatPlus

Anyone do Night trunking for parcel company? If so what are the good and bad points please? I've got hardly any class 1

Post by BeatPlus »

Anyone do Night trunking for parcel company? If so what are the good and bad points please? I've got hardly any class 1 experience so suitable or not?
Garfilast

Re: Anyone do Night trunking for parcel company? If so what are the good and bad points please? I've got hardly any clas

Post by Garfilast »

Only nights, easier jobs, less traffic. If you go on days you will probably get multidrops or general haulage with 20 deliveries or collections. Some people say there is no social life on nights. I work on days a few weeks ago just to see how it goes. After 3 15 hours shifts one by one I thought, where is that social life on days then? I woke up 5 am, start at 7, finish 22.00 and home 23.00 ish. I didn't see my kids for 3 day. Social life? Not. Also most of drivers moaning about health reasons, mostly these who eat every day English breakfast, fish and chips, drink 5 redbulls every day and smoke a pack o cigs. Most of drivers hardly can walk but they are talking that night shift is no good for your health. At night no English breakfast, no fish and chips to be honest nothing to eat on nights so you need to take food from home and you can decide what you eat. Less stress on roads, sometimes you can sleep while you waiting. I sleep in my job every night between 4 and 6 hours so it is no less than I normally sleep whilst on day shifts. Another think if you need to see doctor or do anything in town you do not have to book day off, on days you have to. I tried to work on days but I could not see benefits.
RelyNeil

Re: Anyone do Night trunking for parcel company? If so what are the good and bad points please? I've got hardly any clas

Post by RelyNeil »

Garfilast wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 am Only nights, easier jobs, less traffic. If you go on days you will probably get multidrops or general haulage with 20 deliveries or collections. Some people say there is no social life on nights. I work on days a few weeks ago just to see how it goes. After 3 15 hours shifts one by one I thought, where is that social life on days then? I woke up 5 am, start at 7, finish 22.00 and home 23.00 ish. I didn't see my kids for 3 day. Social life? Not. Also most of drivers moaning about health reasons, mostly these who eat every day English breakfast, fish and chips, drink 5 redbulls every day and smoke a pack o cigs. Most of drivers hardly can walk but they are talking that night shift is no good for your health. At night no English breakfast, no fish and chips to be honest nothing to eat on nights so you need to take food from home and you can decide what you eat. Less stress on roads, sometimes you can sleep while you waiting. I sleep in my job every night between 4 and 6 hours so it is no less than I normally sleep whilst on day shifts. Another think if you need to see doctor or do anything in town you do not have to book day off, on days you have to. I tried to work on days but I could not see benefits.
Another plonker slagging drivers down for there eating habits..years ago when drivers respected each other. We talked after a fry up..Full English breakfast..u think ur better than us..plonker
Poptern

Post by Poptern »

Garfilast wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 am Only nights, easier jobs, less traffic. If you go on days you will probably get multidrops or general haulage with 20 deliveries or collections. Some people say there is no social life on nights. I work on days a few weeks ago just to see how it goes. After 3 15 hours shifts one by one I thought, where is that social life on days then? I woke up 5 am, start at 7, finish 22.00 and home 23.00 ish. I didn't see my kids for 3 day. Social life? Not. Also most of drivers moaning about health reasons, mostly these who eat every day English breakfast, fish and chips, drink 5 redbulls every day and smoke a pack o cigs. Most of drivers hardly can walk but they are talking that night shift is no good for your health. At night no English breakfast, no fish and chips to be honest nothing to eat on nights so you need to take food from home and you can decide what you eat. Less stress on roads, sometimes you can sleep while you waiting. I sleep in my job every night between 4 and 6 hours so it is no less than I normally sleep whilst on day shifts. Another think if you need to see doctor or do anything in town you do not have to book day off, on days you have to. I tried to work on days but I could not see benefits.
you picked a shit job on days . Be more selective latest I Finnish is 5PM starting at 5 . Usually finnish about 3.30 .
Jeansbust

Post by Jeansbust »

I’ve been on nights for 20 + years trunking supermarket work , less traffic , you get more road closures cos off roadworks but plan ahead , less stress as far as I’m concerned than driving days.
UoutRae

Post by UoutRae »

Nights are better when you’ve got minimal to no experience as roads are quieter and yards are normally less busy giving you more time to practice manoeuvring. I currently work nights for a parcel company, lots of sitting around, decent money, no worries about work drying out with everyone ordering online ect… only downsides I find is less time with friends / family.
Doepkordw

Post by Doepkordw »

UoutRae wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:52 am Nights are better when you’ve got minimal to no experience as roads are quieter and yards are normally less busy giving you more time to practice manoeuvring. I currently work nights for a parcel company, lots of sitting around, decent money, no worries about work drying out with everyone ordering online ect… only downsides I find is less time with friends / family.
that’s what I pull mate trunking to fradley, Scotland and Leeds some of the diversions are great
Last edited by Doepkordw on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katreq

Post by Katreq »

You usually get the fastest trucks on the road because they fly by me at night. It's like foot down Friday every day
blackenclever

Post by blackenclever »

I do trunking but not for a parcel company.
As a trunker you'll have a daily invitation for truck meets on the m6 in various locations, normally we park up at j10 but could be j13, 14,15,19, or 20 and so on
Poptern

Post by Poptern »

Left dpd last month after 9 years nights . Best thing I've done in years leaving . Now got family life and social life .
RoachGino

Post by RoachGino »

Poptern wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:41 pm Left dpd last month after 9 years nights . Best thing I've done in years leaving . Now got family life and social life .
I think over 200 drivers have left over the network now. They won't increase the wage but will pay agency £20ph
Poptern

Post by Poptern »

Poptern wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:41 pm Left dpd last month after 9 years nights . Best thing I've done in years leaving . Now got family life and social life .
I thought a big pay rise might come but I feel they're going to weather the storm . Those that aren't gone now will probably stay . I'm now on £4 a hour more doing days.
RoachGino

Post by RoachGino »

Where did you go? They won't raise the wage at all. They'll only discuss parity pay in regards to depot drivers being on more.
Ronzerst

Post by Ronzerst »

I left DPD in March and went back on agency - crazy world but still doing it now. They keep asking me to come back… daft sods
Poptern

Post by Poptern »

I'm one of the ones who signed the grievance concerning pay parity . I'm now on agency on Morrisons and Tesco and bit of other work for Stobarts . So far it's been money for old rope . Morrisons your just a trailer chauffeur. Tesco if it's a store supposed to push trolley to back of trailer and general work is so far been drop and swap trailers .
RoachGino

Post by RoachGino »

I've worked for Tesco Crick. Never again. Barmy rules and you've to follow the store delivery guidance to the letter even if it's wrong. Will never work for them again. But they're on nearly £14ph now.
Jeansbust

Post by Jeansbust »

I’ve been on nights for 20 + years trunking supermarket work , less traffic , you get more road closures cos off roadworks but plan ahead , less stress as far as I’m concerned than driving days.
Underieva

Post by Underieva »

Easy clean work, no stress and I definitely don't do chasing my ass, sleep for 6 hours a nite and get paid for it, drive for 2hrs 30 minutes a day and get paid for 14hrs, (and before anyone asks I'm waiting around to get unloaded rest of the time.)
UoutRae

Post by UoutRae »

Nights are better when you’ve got minimal to no experience as roads are quieter and yards are normally less busy giving you more time to practice manoeuvring. I currently work nights for a parcel company, lots of sitting around, decent money, no worries about work drying out with everyone ordering online ect… only downsides I find is less time with friends / family.
UoutRae

Post by UoutRae »

UoutRae wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:45 am Nights are better when you’ve got minimal to no experience as roads are quieter and yards are normally less busy giving you more time to practice manoeuvring. I currently work nights for a parcel company, lots of sitting around, decent money, no worries about work drying out with everyone ordering online ect… only downsides I find is less time with friends / family.
very true, This happens on a daily basis. So good luck when in the middle of nowhere pulling a 16 foot + decker
Pitcherdle

Post by Pitcherdle »

UoutRae wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:45 am Nights are better when you’ve got minimal to no experience as roads are quieter and yards are normally less busy giving you more time to practice manoeuvring. I currently work nights for a parcel company, lots of sitting around, decent money, no worries about work drying out with everyone ordering online ect… only downsides I find is less time with friends / family.
you used to work for one, but the word on the street is you do feck all. And I have to agree with that statement. And it's your turn on the brews, and not that shite they give us, I'll have a costa a lot.
Demonixio

Post by Demonixio »

I did two years at Uk mail night trunking for the experience, I’d not done much civvy work so it was a good starting point for me, yes I had a deadline each night but was easily achievable even with road closures. Less pressure than on days, less traffic etc
Recapotek

Post by Recapotek »

pros.
less traffic, less stress, easier work, usually more money.
cons.
NO family life, NO you time, NO freind time (they all sleep when your body is awake)
would I reckon d it for a new start? only if you don't have young kids. it is easy work but you whole body clock gets threw off.
Grundykevi

Post by Grundykevi »

I do 4 on and 3 off (thur fri sat ) on nights plenty time for a social life , yes do longer runs but have 3 days off each week , 4 days holiday = 10 days off
Santalero

Post by Santalero »

I've been on night trunking for a parcel company for 9 years. It's the easiest driving job I've ever had. If you can get your body clock settled into night mode, you'll usually be driving at the easiest time of day. Depends which company you work for, as to what your hours and routes will be. Bonus point, you don't handle any freight whatsoever, typically drop and swap. Your routes are usually timed for minimal hanging around time at the depots.
Precommer

Post by Precommer »

Dpd. No handballing. Some sleep on shift (depending on shift).. good rates of pay.
What you may consider as bad points. Not allowed to just stop for a break (due to load).. when you need toilet break you have to call for stop code, long hours and no life.
Parcels is where you wanna be though with covid
Superdioc

Post by Superdioc »

34 years in at Royal Mail on nights worst thing now is road closures but plan another route so you dont get snarled up in queuing traffic. Some say no life my shifts were spot on when the kids were growing up. While they were at school I was in bed they came home and we had time together until they went to bed and I went to work. Friday night Saturday morning run 45 min break head down quick nap then as soon as home to bed couple of hours and back up. Refreshed for Saturday then when going to bed Sat night sleep like a log after a few jars. Up Sunday all day to do as you want then up with them Monday then couple of hours kip before work. We had some runs where you could get a kip for a couple of hours during your shift. We even had one run at one time 2 hrs 15 mins drive drop trailer then bob tail 15 mins down road then 6 hours on the bunk then 2 hrs 15 back to yard

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”