Does a trailer need to be empty for the tyre fitted to change a tyre? Got a wait time of 60-90 minutes before he arrives

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Shatac

Does a trailer need to be empty for the tyre fitted to change a tyre? Got a wait time of 60-90 minutes before he arrives

Post by Shatac »

Does a trailer need to be empty for the tyre fitted to change a tyre? Got a wait time of 60-90 minutes before he arrives, the trailer is empty but is about to be loaded
ClearGato

Re: Does a trailer need to be empty for the tyre fitted to change a tyre? Got a wait time of 60-90 minutes before he arr

Post by ClearGato »

I love those taking the piss on here. It's like they have never asked a question in thier lives about the job. It's like they were born knowing everything.
Let's help people out lads and lasses.
Isn't it better someone asks and gets the right answer than guess?
DariWay

Re: Does a trailer need to be empty for the tyre fitted to change a tyre? Got a wait time of 60-90 minutes before he arr

Post by DariWay »

I would get it loaded if you can. Just be careful screwing onto the bay with a flat, you might scuff it off the rim. Maybe Jack the air up in the trailer while moving around to save the plastic mudguards if anything happens. Just lower it again when you back up to the bay. You still have 5 good tyres so weight is fine. Just take your time and if it looks dodgy then stop. Tell your boss your plans too or he will rip you a new one if something happens!
Shatac

Post by Shatac »

DariWay wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:52 pm I would get it loaded if you can. Just be careful screwing onto the bay with a flat, you might scuff it off the rim. Maybe Jack the air up in the trailer while moving around to save the plastic mudguards if anything happens. Just lower it again when you back up to the bay. You still have 5 good tyres so weight is fine. Just take your time and if it looks dodgy then stop. Tell your boss your plans too or he will rip you a new one if something happens!
had already backed onto the bay when I noticed it. It was when they loaded 21 tonnes of milk onto it that getting it off the bay and reversing opposite was a bit dodgy
Bombason

Post by Bombason »

It can be put on when a trailer is full. But it maybe unsafe for the trailer to have it’s tyre fitted whilst being loaded, not just for the fitter but those loading it also.
You did the right thing in asking and also waiting for it to be finished to be loaded. I’ve been in same position before
Shatac

Post by Shatac »

Thanks for your help. Tyre sorted, he just had to wait around for it to be loaded, as he arrived as they just started.
To those that think I'm asking a stupid question, maybe I could've rephrased it as follows (but didn't):
My trailer was empty on a bay, but was about to be loaded. Wasn't sure if I should go ahead and load it while waiting for the tyre guy, or wait til he'd done the tyre then have it loaded.
Forbit

Post by Forbit »

Shatac wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:54 pm Thanks for your help. Tyre sorted, he just had to wait around for it to be loaded, as he arrived as they just started.
To those that think I'm asking a stupid question, maybe I could've rephrased it as follows (but didn't):
My trailer was empty on a bay, but was about to be loaded. Wasn't sure if I should go ahead and load it while waiting for the tyre guy, or wait til he'd done the tyre then have it loaded.
mate always ask there's always an arse will take the piss or make a comment but that's life fella
Shatac

Post by Shatac »

Shatac wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:54 pm Thanks for your help. Tyre sorted, he just had to wait around for it to be loaded, as he arrived as they just started.
seems to be quite a few of them who can't read past the original post either
Chromedi

Post by Chromedi »

Ours do it loaded and mostly do it without taking the wheel off. No re-torque needed.
Prestc

Post by Prestc »

Youre alright mate, doesnt matter if its loaded or not. Those jacks they have are really powerful, and even when loaded itll only be lifting 5 or 6 ton anyway.
Toolsae

Post by Toolsae »

Any breakdown you call in you will be asked is it loaded and if you say yes the next Q will be is it hazardous or perishable
Shatac

Post by Shatac »

Toolsae wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:59 pm Any breakdown you call in you will be asked is it loaded and if you say yes the next Q will be is it hazardous or perishable
they didn't ask if it was loaded or not. Don't think they'd ask if it was hazardous though, with me being an Asda driver sat at a dairy warehouse
Javayusp

Post by Javayusp »

They only ask if the trailer is loaded so they can take the piss with the 60-90 arrival time
A1rr

Post by A1rr »

60-90 is what they always say. Last time after 90 minutes I got a call “be there in an hour mate”
Wonnath

Post by Wonnath »

I’m not taking the piss, but try thinking about it. When a truck gets a puncture on a motorway, do you see it being unloaded onto the hard shoulder before a tyre gets done? Or do we have 1000’s of trucks abandoned round the country as they got a puncture while loaded so are just left there?
GloryAce

Post by GloryAce »

Wonnath wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:02 pm I’m not taking the piss, but try thinking about it. When a truck gets a puncture on a motorway, do you see it being unloaded onto the hard shoulder before a tyre gets done? Or do we have 1000’s of trucks abandoned round the country as they got a puncture while loaded so are just left there?
Was probably only flat at the bottom or with all the hot air on here some of them could have blown it up
Shatac

Post by Shatac »

Wonnath wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:02 pm I’m not taking the piss, but try thinking about it. When a truck gets a puncture on a motorway, do you see it being unloaded onto the hard shoulder before a tyre gets done? Or do we have 1000’s of trucks abandoned round the country as they got a puncture while loaded so are just left there?
This was my latest comment on this thread:
maybe I could've rephrased the question. My trailer was empty on a bay, but was about to be loaded. Wasn't sure if I should go ahead and load it while waiting for the tyre guy, or wait til he'd done the tyre then have it loaded
GloryAce

Post by GloryAce »

Still makes no sense at all ??
Why would you wait ?
I am sure ya work for a big firm let the tyre man wait we usually have to
Shatac

Post by Shatac »

because I've never had a tyre guy come out to me before, so didn't know if I should wait or just get it loaded
GloryAce

Post by GloryAce »

Fair enough mate
Personally I would have got me load on and be ready for up the road and let the tyre man wait not that there ever on time
GloryAce

Post by GloryAce »

As the suspension is on air can be fitted empty or loaded as fitter will release the air in just that axle to lift it and change tyre
Inesix

Post by Inesix »

Might as well ask him to put WINTER air in when he arrives,due on 5th november any way,he will have the gas with him im sure,then when you get back to base change the air in all the others,remember you only have 10 working days to change to winter air,stopped after 15th November with Summer air risk of big fine and points,its you the driver responsilbilty to make sure that after 15th nov tyres have Winter air in,dont be caught out.
Downili

Post by Downili »

No the fitter will fit some sky hooks to the top of trailer and gravity will then be reversed and it will lift itself
TalkGnome

Post by TalkGnome »

They usually ask if it’s loaded. Maybe they charge a bit more if it’s heavy; could depend on fitter. Shouldn’t be a problem though.
Wonnath

Post by Wonnath »

TalkGnome wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:09 pm They usually ask if it’s loaded. Maybe they charge a bit more if it’s heavy; could depend on fitter. Shouldn’t be a problem though.
James Thomas Robinson basically you havnt a clue but thought you’d best post anyway. Just so you know, the price doesn’t change with weight, a tyre fitter isn’t a market trader
Foursequ

Post by Foursequ »

Yeah, you’ll need a forklift driver to drive from the depot to offload you, he’ll be there in about a week.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”