So, Tesco drivers. Who's participating in the upcoming strike? And why?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Winder

Post by Winder »

Vershb

Re: So, Tesco drivers. Who's participating in the upcoming strike? And why?

Post by Vershb »

I get the point and the reasoning..... But.... If this starts effecting the everyday consumer who buys things from Tesco, support will stop.
It will smack of the same tactics used by the Extinction Rebellion muppets who glued their faces to the road.
Im not saying they are equal, but the news will report it as such, and the public sympathy will not be with those who strike.
BoaShin

Post by BoaShin »

I spied as a brand new artic driver direct with Tesco for purfleet or Dagenham..I was asked to go for the driving assessment..if I pass straight out no training on the rd the next or same day...as it's a 20/30 mile commute each way obviously I asked what the PAYE rates were..£14.50...base rate...I flatly refused & even the lady on the phone was embarrassed at the rates & said they are well short & losing drivers...that was 2 weeks ago ..I managed to get a job with Poundland Harlow..I start on Mon the 13 th...so happy enough with that...but good luck to the Tesco lads...were all not in it to rob or hold companies to ransom..just a decent wage for a days work...it's not an easy job ,so you should be well paid for it it's a skilled job & not everyone can or wants to do it..but firms have had it too good for too long paying below the going rate...the shops won't care ..it's a supt & demand market...we need fuel to go to work etc ..boom there you go ....£1.50 pl of diesel..now
..we don't say nothing..just pay it...20 years ago the country almost ground to a halt when the fuel protests hit £1 a litre...same with food..& heating..gas & electric,interest rates on our mortgages etc..inflation goes up bills go up...everyone is struggling ..whens it going to stop???.Tesco either pay the drivers what their owed or worth or don't...entry of other firms will happy take them on...without truck drivers nothing gets delivered...sure Tesco will say it's the drivers fault..not theres for paying the low wages in the first place...the public will kick off ..but hey.. everyone else goes on strike ..why not lorry drivers...that's only my own take..if no one stands up ..then simple...keep quiet & suck it up...two choices...
Ulanops

Post by Ulanops »

For a start, our depot hasn't balloted yet on strike action, and we've had lower than inflation wage rises for years, drivers are lumped in with warehouse when it comes to pay rises, and normally the warehouse will accept anything offered, but not this time....
GrinderRoll

Post by GrinderRoll »

They busted Dagenham strike few years back. Got nothing apart from big gap in bank bal through lost pay. Loads of drivers were given different work so did not pass picket line. Then other depots covered shops . Each dc is on different pay structure, so it’s not one out all out. This time year , big money with ot and bank hol pay . Big carrot to loose.
Spinnie

Post by Spinnie »

GrinderRoll wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:09 am They busted Dagenham strike few years back. Got nothing apart from big gap in bank bal through lost pay. Loads of drivers were given different work so did not pass picket line. Then other depots covered shops . Each dc is on different pay structure, so it’s not one out all out. This time year , big money with ot and bank hol pay . Big carrot to loose.
I believe the 9 week strike by the ford truck fleet at Dagenham was not helped by TNT crossing the picket lines, After the strike finished TNT were not allowed onto Fords premises for years if ever.
GrinderRoll

Post by GrinderRoll »

GrinderRoll wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:09 am They busted Dagenham strike few years back. Got nothing apart from big gap in bank bal through lost pay. Loads of drivers were given different work so did not pass picket line. Then other depots covered shops . Each dc is on different pay structure, so it’s not one out all out. This time year , big money with ot and bank hol pay . Big carrot to loose.
I could never understand union allowing other sites to do the work. Mind I’ve just read. Unite & usdaw sites appear to have voted out. Could make a big difference.
Spinnie

Post by Spinnie »

We were in the TGWU then they did not allow it thats why TNT were not allowed back after the strike ended
UpTrippin

Post by UpTrippin »

I’m old school Tesco driver back to the salmon book contracts & grab a grand week
Sold my sole when Peterborough opened as moved away from Essex to Lincolnshire & had to accept new terms & conditions as screwed every year on losing more pay as they penny pinch to make it like you was earning more on new pay deals
We onced voted to strike at Peterborough as like this post says warehouse voted the deal so it went through
But hopefully the drivers now on Tesco get a good deal as they deserve to have a good pay without the top dogs earning more on shares not passing down to the work force that also pays there wAges
Rant over from a now retired Tesco driver
Shinymo

Post by Shinymo »

BoaShin wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:28 pm I spied as a brand new artic driver direct with Tesco for purfleet or Dagenham..I was asked to go for the driving assessment..if I pass straight out no training on the rd the next or same day...as it's a 20/30 mile commute each way obviously I asked what the PAYE rates were..£14.50...base rate...I flatly refused & even the lady on the phone was embarrassed at the rates & said they are well short & losing drivers...that was 2 weeks ago ..I managed to get a job with Poundland Harlow..I start on Mon the 13 th...so happy enough with that...but good luck to the Tesco lads...were all not in it to rob or hold companies to ransom..just a decent wage for a days work...it's not an easy job ,so you should be well paid for it it's a skilled job & not everyone can or wants to do it..but firms have had it too good for too long paying below the going rate...the shops won't care ..it's a supt & demand market...we need fuel to go to work etc ..boom there you go ....£1.50 pl of diesel..now
..we don't say nothing..just pay it...20 years ago the country almost ground to a halt when the fuel protests hit £1 a litre...same with food..& heating..gas & electric,interest rates on our mortgages etc..inflation goes up bills go up...everyone is struggling ..whens it going to stop???.Tesco either pay the drivers what their owed or worth or don't...entry of other firms will happy take them on...without truck drivers nothing gets delivered...sure Tesco will say it's the drivers fault..not theres for paying the low wages in the first place...the public will kick off ..but hey.. everyone else goes on strike ..why not lorry drivers...that's only my own take..if no one stands up ..then simple...keep quiet & suck it up...two choices...
try £14.12 but they just had 4% pay rise. Overtime rate is time and half and night time and quarter. It was good job if you could get 12 hours a day. I left as couldn’t get overtime anymore. Sub contractor taking all the work.
BoaShin

Post by BoaShin »

BoaShin wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:28 pm I spied as a brand new artic driver direct with Tesco for purfleet or Dagenham..I was asked to go for the driving assessment..if I pass straight out no training on the rd the next or same day...as it's a 20/30 mile commute each way obviously I asked what the PAYE rates were..£14.50...base rate...I flatly refused & even the lady on the phone was embarrassed at the rates & said they are well short & losing drivers...that was 2 weeks ago ..I managed to get a job with Poundland Harlow..I start on Mon the 13 th...so happy enough with that...but good luck to the Tesco lads...were all not in it to rob or hold companies to ransom..just a decent wage for a days work...it's not an easy job ,so you should be well paid for it it's a skilled job & not everyone can or wants to do it..but firms have had it too good for too long paying below the going rate...the shops won't care ..it's a supt & demand market...we need fuel to go to work etc ..boom there you go ....£1.50 pl of diesel..now
yeah..it seemed too much headache ..for too little outlay..I think for me Poundland is the best overall package round Harlow, hoddesdon,Stevenage , possibly enfield...but I could be wrong....it suits me so that's all that really matters..others may disagree...I have a mate in Nisa on rigids who was pulling in £1400 PW net...on agency & working like the proverbial dog...but omg £1400 PW..but again..after Xmas ..will HR get those hours...that's not for me...chasing the money...that's how it starts ..bigger Carr,better clothes,more expensive things..& boom ..then your on 40 odd hours ish & £800 PW..where's your extra £600 a week gone...if I clear £600/£700 pw thats good money for say 45 /50 hrs on the books...if you can't live off that .then I think you have issues...I did agencies over 10 years...it was good ie the flexibility..no begging for a day off..but again so e days I would only work 3days ...+as soon as you work for another agency who do give you work..the first one rings back + asks you to work.... No I've got work already thanks ..you cancelled today..you can't live like that..granted that was 9 months ago +things have changed but I'm glad I got a foot in the door as no experience means no job with a new pass artic..each to their own lads + lassies...but I like job security..turn up on time,don't smash the motors up,get on with the punters,+ show some willing ...it's stood me well for over 20plus years..merry Xmas all + stay safe
Shinymo

Post by Shinymo »

do what you gotta do mate. What best for you.
BoaShin

Post by BoaShin »

true that no one will pop round & pay the bills for me will they?..it's what suits me & the family isn't it..again I could have just sat on rigids & not needed to get my artic liscence...there's plenty of rigid work out there paying the same if not more than artics if you hi t for it..but it's donkey work ..I've done it all...so looking at he bigger picture that's why I sat my artic test..it simply opens more doors re job offers...IL let you know in 3/6 monthes of it was the right move or not..but I'm working where they use both ...if I can go out in either for a days shift then who cares..it's money & I'm being paid no dramas..& it keeps my hand in ..if a rigid driver is late or is a no show..I can be asked ..Jim..do you mind ??
Obviously I,l do it..I'm flexible..that shoes willing...but if I still only had my rigid liscence I'm not so useful...transport is going that way...I can drive anything that have now..granted ..I'm a total newbie..but the options are there..
Vershb

Post by Vershb »

I get the point and the reasoning..... But.... If this starts effecting the everyday consumer who buys things from Tesco, support will stop.
It will smack of the same tactics used by the Extinction Rebellion muppets who glued their faces to the road.
Im not saying they are equal, but the news will report it as such, and the public sympathy will not be with those who strike.
SlimIffy

Post by SlimIffy »

Vershb wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:19 am I get the point and the reasoning..... But.... If this starts effecting the everyday consumer who buys things from Tesco, support will stop.
and who cares about the public sympathy? Nobody.
Vershb

Post by Vershb »

Vershb wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:19 am I get the point and the reasoning..... But.... If this starts effecting the everyday consumer who buys things from Tesco, support will stop.
*sigh* public sympathy matters alot.
Seeing as the disruption caused by a strike is to force the company te reavaluate its terms. By striking you are hinging your bet on the public pressure on a company to force change.
Lack of sympathy, lack of reasons for the company to change. The more entrenched it will become. Eventually leading to dismissal, loss of earnings to front line staff who end up with the choice of starve over Christmas or earn a wage.
SlimIffy

Post by SlimIffy »

I don't think that "every little helps" as a company has great look in public eyes. The fat layers and middle-class don't shop there, the rest are mostly working people and know what kind of employer this chain is.
And really it doesn't matter. They are not going to go bust, even if shareholders start to unload the shares. So it really doesn't matter.
Quicken

Post by Quicken »

Well it seems to me that the drivers have a fairly strong, genuine grievance. Tesco’s will just work around any strike though. Surely the best way, if the job is so bad, just go get another job, go on strike and don’t come back.
Sushyland

Post by Sushyland »

Quicken wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:26 am Well it seems to me that the drivers have a fairly strong, genuine grievance. Tesco’s will just work around any strike though. Surely the best way, if the job is so bad, just go get another job, go on strike and don’t come back.
show me where the drivers have said the “job is so bad”, the issue isn’t the job itself, its the pay rise offered.
Quicken

Post by Quicken »

Quicken wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:26 am Well it seems to me that the drivers have a fairly strong, genuine grievance. Tesco’s will just work around any strike though. Surely the best way, if the job is so bad, just go get another job, go on strike and don’t come back.
Dunno about you but I go to work for the money. If money ain’t there then job is bad. Can tell you all though your strike will only affect your wages, Drivers from other depots will thank you for all the overtime though!
SlimIffy

Post by SlimIffy »

What's with the shtty attitude in comments? I don't work for Tescos yet I wish the employees to succeed, every place paying more drives the market wages up for all in the profession. Are most HGV drivers on here self righteous, egoistic and envious bunch of cnts? Or is this page infested with transport desk jockeys wanting the people doing the driving treated as sht?
And those who say driver wage rises inflate prices, why don't you just work for minimum wage then, that will save the prices and keep the shareholders happy, you imbeciles.
Tesco was sending out letters threatening, lying and begging for ballot votes accepting 4% only because this strike fcks their Xmas bonuses up. They deserve that and more some.
Thesoyas

Post by Thesoyas »

This is the best time that you as drivers can demand what you should be paid remember it's your license not there's with out you they have no business think on.
Vobista

Post by Vobista »

They made 2.5 billion pounds last year so 4 percent is taking the micky as the shareholder’s have done well
Inphnati

Post by Inphnati »

Why? You need it explained with someone holding your hand as they turn large print lettering spelling out the below inflation earning increase offer, jesus christmus. The troubling thing is you offer up a thread to discuss this & then effectively acknowledge you're not aware of the reasoning behind it... So, here's a hint kiddo £2,600 X millions or 2.6 billion profit for Tesco's during last annum (approximately)
XmcPink

Post by XmcPink »

Inphnati wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:35 am Why? You need it explained with someone holding your hand as they turn large print lettering spelling out the below inflation earning increase offer, jesus christmus. The troubling thing is you offer up a thread to discuss this & then effectively acknowledge you're not aware of the reasoning behind it... So, here's a hint kiddo £2,600 X millions or 2.6 billion profit for Tesco's during last annum (approximately)
tbh it’s because of Tesco etc etc, that wages for drivers at other hauliers have been kept low, because Tesco etc have had the suppliers by the short and Curlys for years
Strongid

Post by Strongid »

Balance of power it’s called, who’s got the best cards? Drivers at moment not managers so they’re bang on to want more if don’t ask now when they asking? I just got 12% I didn’t ask for that I just pointed out the current climate

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”