Good evening, Please can somebody explain to me - basically we have truck only which we are intending to use to pull

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
SVETTOMO

Good evening, Please can somebody explain to me - basically we have truck only which we are intending to use to pull

Post by SVETTOMO »

Good evening,
Please can somebody explain to me - basically we have truck only, which we are intending to use to pull someone else trailer. Our TM says that law has changed last year and we need to do 6 weeks break test with a loaded trailer.
I have shown him picture of break test attached - he says it hasn’t been done on loaded trailer.
My garage says that as long as we have 4 break test a year with loaded it will be ok. So we can do one loaded, another time unloaded and so on.
Attachments
IMAGE.jpg
IMAGE.jpg (128.94 KiB) Viewed 280 times
krislou

Re: Good evening, Please can somebody explain to me - basically we have truck only which we are intending to use to pull

Post by krislou »

law doesn't change till later this year for BT to be conducted at every PMI. Still 4 loaded tests "minimum" per year which includes MOT
Preston+Box

Re: Good evening, Please can somebody explain to me - basically we have truck only which we are intending to use to pull

Post by Preston+Box »

krislou wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:47 pm law doesn't change till later this year for BT to be conducted at every PMI. Still 4 loaded tests "minimum" per year which includes MOT
coming in 2025 not later this year 2024
krislou

Post by krislou »

Also this has been conducted on a loaded trailer as it would state "insufficient load on axle" if it was not loaded.
I would however be concerned with axle 3 as it is showing a 34% imbalance which in the eyes of the TC is considered a fail and would need rectified, even though it stated passed at the bottom.
wakart

Post by wakart »

krislou wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:48 pm Also this has been conducted on a loaded trailer as it would state "insufficient load on axle" if it was not loaded.
I would however be concerned with axle 3 as it is showing a 34% imbalance which in the eyes of the TC is considered a fail and would need rectified, even though it stated passed at the bottom.
ignore what I've put, Krislou is correct, GVW is 24.3T so 19.5T is laden. As he's also highlighted though, 34% imbalance is not good as no reported locks.
SVETTOMO

Post by SVETTOMO »

wakart wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:49 pm
krislou wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:48 pm Also this has been conducted on a loaded trailer as it would state "insufficient load on axle" if it was not loaded.
ignore what I've put, Krislou is correct, GVW is 24.3T so 19.5T is laden. As he's also highlighted though, 34% imbalance is not good as no reported locks.
thank you - I have raised this with Scania, so just waiting for them to rectify.
pligwort

Post by pligwort »

Would you go into a little more detail on this, please?
wakart

Post by wakart »

pligwort wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:50 pm
a brake test is considered to be laden at 65% of GVW. 44,000KGs x 0.65 = 28,600kgs or 28.6T. Anything below that would be classed as unladen.
wakart

Post by wakart »

in the case of the RBT in the post, it's 19.5T so wouldn't qualify as a laden RBT.
krislou

Post by krislou »

19479kg is 80% of the gvw 24300kg mate
loghy

Post by loghy »

So long as its 4 per year, I would suggest spread out through the year in a meaningful and appropriate way laden then thats fine, just don’t include the MOT roller test.
davLyfe

Post by davLyfe »

Must have at least 4 brake tests a year but is coming in that every inspection will need a brake test done.. so it's good practice to start doing brake test every inspection now..
wakart

Post by wakart »

krislou wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:51 pm
April 2025 mate
wakart

Post by wakart »

krislou wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:51 pm
Don't know why but I couldn't respond 😂
jaxon

Post by jaxon »

If no undertakings on O licence then 4 a year is needed. Laden is 65%.
As raised by others that imbalance of 34% is a major concern.
fi7marie

Post by fi7marie »

This is the latest brake testing guidance from the guide to maintaining Roadworthiness, its page 52....as a consultant I tend to only go in to an operator after unsatisfactory MIVR report......spend a lot of time in public inquiries with TMs and Directors being roasted please read this and ingest
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (173.55 KiB) Viewed 240 times
SVETTOMO

Post by SVETTOMO »

fi7marie wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:56 pm This is the latest brake testing guidance from the guide to maintaining Roadworthiness, its page 52....as a consultant I tend to only go in to an operator after unsatisfactory MIVR report......spend a lot of time in public inquiries with TMs and Directors being roasted please read this and ingest
will make sure to pass it on to my TM to ingest - thank you
Willium

Post by Willium »

Going by the axle weight's I would say that's a loaded RBT.
ray+exad

Post by ray+exad »

A 'meaningful' (laden) Roller Brake Test (RBT) is best practice on each and every PMI, with follow up RBT following a repair/adjustment to the braking system. See the Guide to Maintaining Roadworthiness for advice and further reference on the correct procedures and frequencies for Roller Brake Testing.
vivalaFully

Post by vivalaFully »

Is easy to say brake test with a loaded trailer and before anyone jumps down my throat, I understand why, but for a bulker it's a pain in the arse - trailer needs to be empty for the inspection but loaded for the brake test so more running around.
Willium

Post by Willium »

vivalaFully wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:59 pm Is easy to say brake test with a loaded trailer and before anyone jumps down my throat, I understand why, but for a bulker it's a pain in the arse - trailer needs to be empty for the inspection but loaded for the brake test so more running around.
I agree with you designed by a paper pusher and not a mechanical engineer, we've got an RBT ourselves and keep some road stone in the yard as weight. We prefer to inspect the truck first and RBT to confirm all is ok but you could RBT on day 1 of an iso week and inspect 6 days later, in the tipper game a lot can change (or go wrong) in 6 days.
vivalaFully

Post by vivalaFully »

Willium wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:00 pm
vivalaFully wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:59 pm Is easy to say brake test with a loaded trailer and before anyone jumps down my throat, I understand why, but for a bulker it's a pain in the arse - trailer needs to be empty for the inspection but loaded for the brake test so more running around.
I agree with you designed by a paper pusher and not a mechanical engineer, we've got an RBT ourselves and keep some road stone in the yard as weight. We prefer to inspect the truck first and RBT to confirm all is ok but you could RBT on day 1 of an iso week and inspect 6 days later, in the tipper game a lot can change (or go wrong) in 6 days.
There's another problem then. If the trailer is TASCC registered one has to be careful what is put in the trailer. If by roadstone you mean planings, putting that in the trailer would be a non-conformance!
Willium

Post by Willium »

vivalaFully wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:01 pm
Willium wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:00 pm
There's another problem then. If the trailer is TASCC registered one has to be careful what is put in the trailer. If by roadstone you mean planings, putting that in the trailer would be a non-conformance!
We've never done TASCC work been running tipper's for over 50 year's but only got the first bulker in 2016. The industry is set up for pallet's and those of us who are essential and do the dirty work the big logistic firms wont touch are left fitting square pegs in round holes.
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

wakart wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:50 pm

a brake test is considered to be laden at 65% of GVW. 44,000KGs x 0.65 = 28,600kgs or 28.6T. Anything below that would be classed as unladen.
44000kgs is the GTW, and we’re interested in GVW

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”