It's about time the government re thought the EU and WTD rules. Do away with poa and make working and break hours a

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Katreq

It's about time the government re thought the EU and WTD rules. Do away with poa and make working and break hours a

Post by Katreq »

It's about time the government re thought the EU and WTD rules. Do away with poa and make working and break hours a maximum of 12 hrs. There's to many companies using poa to there advantage and making drivers work 15 hrs. No wonder why nobody wants to do the job anymore.
StormGal

Re: It's about time the government re thought the EU and WTD rules. Do away with poa and make working and break hours a

Post by StormGal »

POA never ever have I used it ,I believe A your working or B your at rest. POA appeared when the 48 rules appeared to get round that rule POA suddenly came about to keep drivers working ungodly hours. Legally Bosses tool.
Animesa

Re: It's about time the government re thought the EU and WTD rules. Do away with poa and make working and break hours a

Post by Animesa »

StormGal wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:43 am POA never ever have I used it ,I believe A your working or B your at rest. POA appeared when the 48 rules appeared to get round that rule POA suddenly came about to keep drivers working ungodly hours. Legally Bosses tool.
it's a tool for drivers who have all recorded breaks deducted to sit around waiting, whilst getting paid and not unnecessarily racking up wtd working time.
Everyone else just uses bed whilst waiting if they want to keep their working time down.
Animesa

Post by Animesa »

POA, it's a tool for drivers who have all recorded breaks deducted to sit around waiting, whilst getting paid and not unnecessarily racking up wtd working time.
Everyone else just uses bed whilst waiting if they want to keep their working time down.
Tworsero

Post by Tworsero »

Animesa wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 am POA, it's a tool for drivers who have all recorded breaks deducted to sit around waiting, whilst getting paid and not unnecessarily racking up wtd working time.
Educate me- I’ve only been driving trucks for 38 years end to end on UK and Bushmills to Bantry end to end in Ireland too. I’ve held a CPC in transport management best part of thirty years and it was the best education since ever had. It knocked the stupid idea out my head about owning my own truck. But I’m always open to be educated by anyone who has that knowledge so tell me what I don’t understand. Not that it matters to me- I’ve hung up the keys pissed off and can survive with no income at all for the next 13 months so I’ve done something right at last.
Animesa

Post by Animesa »

Animesa wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 am POA, it's a tool for drivers who have all recorded breaks deducted to sit around waiting, whilst getting paid and not unnecessarily racking up wtd working time.
POA, it's a tool for drivers who have all recorded breaks deducted to sit around waiting, whilst getting paid and not unnecessarily racking up wtd working time.
Tworsero

Post by Tworsero »

Sitting around waiting and not paid? Never heard of that in my life here but some folk accept that on trip money or salary. Maybe people are stupid where you stay but believe me- when that card goes in till it comes out I expect to be paid every minute. And I don’t give a feck if I’ve sat all day. NMP. I’m at work. As I said- Drive, Other Work, Rest. No such thing as POA in my book.
Animesa

Post by Animesa »

well you have now, and that is why poa is needed, for that small percentage of drivers who have all recorded breaks deducted.
In the past I've been paid straight through to having 30 or 45 mins deducted, I'd think the majority get 30 / 45 mins deducted, definitely couldn't see it more than 50% get paid straight through.
Exactly, like the vast, vast majority you don't get all recorded breaks deducted, so there's no reason for you to use poa, see, simple concept.
Tworsero

Post by Tworsero »

I’ve just retired this week Steve. The company offered a £250 payment before Christmas to sell out their paid 30 minute break. That £250 was worth about £180 (20% tax, 12% PAYE- 32% deduction!)
So since about 2010 they gained around £180 cash for Christmas. But lost about £12,000 at least I reckon over the past 13 years 2.5 hrs a week for 46 weeks worked every year in that period.
Beware Greeks bearing gifts!
StandKrypto

Post by StandKrypto »

I dont get it.... People come on here moaning about their jobs, if you dont like your job or how the the company treat you, move on... simples! Plenty jobs out there, Whether you want to work Monday to Friday dayshift or 3 or 4 weeks away in europe. Only you can decide!
NinjaPinch

Post by NinjaPinch »

My last employer abused the driver's aid POA, to reduce your working time over the reference period! They also changed, reduced or increased the reference period to suit them selves.
This was always done without the drivers consent!
Hence why they are my previous employer. Basically they wouldn't help manage your hours as it's both driver and your transport management teams responsibility to do so!
PodXo

Post by PodXo »

Al ways do 63 to 69 hrs Monday to Friday it's not a problem. I tramp ,I'm in in the lorry and I might as well get paid, I've worked a lot harder in the past. For less money and less thanks.
Echoiso

Post by Echoiso »

Some people like chasing the hours some don't, find an employer to suit, if you needed more hours you would find another job with hours available , and the reverse for less
Echoiso

Post by Echoiso »

Some people like chasing the hours some don't, find an employer to suit, if you needed more hours you would find another job with hours available , and the reverse for less
Benrp

Post by Benrp »

They should introduce a hard cap of 60 hours max.
Three 13s and two 15s is too much. Alot of firms operate this way using the reference periods end to then give the driver 1 or 2 days off which he has already been paid for.
Lentra

Post by Lentra »

Benrp wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:19 am They should introduce a hard cap of 60 hours max.
Three 13s and two 15s is too much. Alot of firms operate this way using the reference periods end to then give the driver 1 or 2 days off which he has already been paid for.
may be too much for you but not for many, if you cant handle it don't do it simple really
Benrp

Post by Benrp »

Benrp wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:19 am They should introduce a hard cap of 60 hours max.
hard cap on hours is long overdue. And to you sir I say this, I've worked 60 plus hours a week for over 30 years, don't tell me I can't do it. That's not the point, I can do it as much as the next driver. But l want a home life and avoid a 3rd divorce. You wanna fuck your life up working long hours like me, be my guest. Just don't fall asleep along the way. Cos l didnt
Lentra

Post by Lentra »

well the simple answer to you is change job if it doesn't suit you find one that does, stay local or change career altogether but dont try and fu@k the industry for those that are happy just to suit yourself.
Sorry to hear you have been through a couple divorces but thats not the jobs fault, you knew the hours and you chose to carry on. Like everyone else you have a choice, if it didn't suit then walk.
SlimEpic

Post by SlimEpic »

ok think you've put a blank statement there. Am a tramper i want to work as may hours as I can or for me it's pointless being out in the lorry.
Now when I was a day driver and working 15 hours your right 9 hours off by the time you get home shower dinner etc your in bed about 5 hours.
Maybe they should change the rules if your a day man/woman you need 11 hours off.
I worked for a well known company on nights and there rules were 11 off every day, even the day drivers we're 11 off.
Poa? Never use it if am honest
Benrp

Post by Benrp »

Remember the more hours a driver does the more likely he will fall asleep at the wheel which is why we have tacho rules in the 1st place
Writingerve

Post by Writingerve »

Benrp wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:27 am Remember the more hours a driver does the more likely he will fall asleep at the wheel which is why we have tacho rules in the 1st place
do White van man with Amazon etc not fall asleep with the hours they are doing
MatrixSincere

Post by MatrixSincere »

Thats a silly statement because before the wtd was out drivers used to work 15 hours anyway so doing away with poa is not the proplem here Before the wtd it was still 3 15 a week and the rest 13s. If someone personaly wants a shorter day just say the day needs to be shorter simple it's not the fault of any other rule likes.
Tworsero

Post by Tworsero »

MatrixSincere wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:29 am Thats a silly statement because before the wtd was out drivers used to work 15 hours anyway so doing away with poa is not the proplem here Before the wtd it was still 3 15 a week and the rest 13s. If someone personaly wants a shorter day just say the day needs to be shorter simple it's not the fault of any other rule likes.
That might be in the time you’ve been in in industry but many would disagree with your view. A 30mph limit is that. Same as a 50mph limit. So you want to push boundaries and beyond? That thinking has the Road Haulage Industry at the coos erse in wages, conditions, sick pay, pension rights etc.
The reason the wages and conditions are crap in this industry is justified entirely by those who want to work for these rates.
Get a feckin’ grip! You have one bullet- feckin’ use it. At no time has there been a better time to gain improvement- use this chance. You won’t get a better.
Too many want to
come in at the weekend for nothing, in their own time wash the truck, clean yer wheels n’ tank using their own cleaning materials- GTF!
Drivers are their own worst enemies- in the main gutless shitbags that would stab in the back their own workmates for the work, truck, rotas, pay etc. A shocking outfit. The reason the wages and conditions in this industry are crap is because some are prepared to accept that
Goteese

Post by Goteese »

Never ever set my tacho on poa!
If I'm not driving, I'm doing other work or on a rest period. Poa is not a thing, in my world, & I decide where the mode switch goes!
Bankelli

Post by Bankelli »

Never used poa don’t intend to. I’ll do a 15 hour day if needed or if it benefits me I’ll do nights out if needs be or it will help me the next day get ahead of myself. Joys of the job is pretty much picking and choosing what you do. Don’t like your job change it. Simple isn’t it really
Tworsero

Post by Tworsero »

I’ve NEVER booked one minutes POA since the day it came out. I’m either driving, other work or on rest. POA doesn’t exist in my book and I’ve said many times the transport boss or planner has never been born yet that could force me to do anything I don’t want to do.
Animesa

Post by Animesa »

Tworsero wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:35 am I’ve NEVER booked one minutes POA since the day it came out. I’m either driving, other work or on rest. POA doesn’t exist in my book and I’ve said many times the transport boss or planner has never been born yet that could force me to do anything I don’t want to do.
it's a tool for drivers who have all recorded breaks deducted to sit around waiting, whilst getting paid and not unnecessarily racking up wtd working time.

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”