Please feel free to discuss. Just following a thread about a young driver getting a hard time from an old timer.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Cotta_excen

Please feel free to discuss. Just following a thread about a young driver getting a hard time from an old timer.

Post by Cotta_excen »

Just following a thread about a young driver getting a hard time from an old timer.
I know there are quite a few operator's on this site so I am quite interested in any feedback this may bring.
When I started up I was quite amazed by what seemed to be the general attitude of "just get on with it, you will be fine if you do your homework".
Yes that is correct to a point but as we are all aware there is a lot more to this industry than being a steering wheel attendant & a good map reader.
So many different scenarios can arise, just when you think you've had them all another one smacks you in the face.
Now the point I'm trying to find out is times change, the old school driver's are slowly fading away & there is a clear shortage of young blood coming through so should operator's adopt like an apprenticeship/buddy system into the industry.
If a company is going to invest hundreds of thousands of pounds on vehicle's would double manning a coach for say 3 month's to give a better insight into customer care & how to deal with situations & what is expected of a coach driver on tour, ie preparation, appearance, vehicle cleanliness etc, the list could go on.
Maybe many companies do adopt this approach or maybe just recruit with the safe option of "he/she has got some experience, we will worry about their ability to do the job later?"
In my eyes a shake up is needed to encourage younger blood in to keep the industry driving forward.
Please feel free to discuss.
Rhyeree

Re: Please feel free to discuss. Just following a thread about a young driver getting a hard time from an old timer.

Post by Rhyeree »

As an operator at 34 years old, i fall inbetween. I've relied heavily on experienced drivers in the past who have bucket loads of experience. I've also chucked drivers in at the deep end. Some older drivers think they can rule the roost, i've done it this way for 20 plus years etc. They dont like to be told what to do & how to do it, even by me their employer, who pays their wages, finds the work, pays for the vehicle maintenance. Dont really care how it was done 20 years ago, this is what / how i want things done now. I'd have done my research, talked with stake holders etc before deciding my course of action. The sooner these drivers stop throwing their toys out the pram due to someone getting more / better work than them, better coach than them, the better. Everyone's got to start somewhere.
Cotta_excen

Re: Please feel free to discuss. Just following a thread about a young driver getting a hard time from an old timer.

Post by Cotta_excen »

Rhyeree wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:44 pm As an operator at 34 years old, i fall inbetween. I've relied heavily on experienced drivers in the past who have bucket loads of experience. I've also chucked drivers in at the deep end. Some older drivers think they can rule the roost, i've done it this way for 20 plus years etc. They dont like to be told what to do & how to do it, even by me their employer, who pays their wages, finds the work, pays for the vehicle maintenance. Dont really care how it was done 20 years ago, this is what / how i want things done now. I'd have done my research, talked with stake holders etc before deciding my course of action. The sooner these drivers stop throwing their toys out the pram due to someone getting more / better work than them, better coach than them, the better. Everyone's got to start somewhere.
Very well said & may I wish you all the best in your business, a little guidance in the right direction is an asset to any company.
Pointless having a driver who has the experience but no personality or lost there way in what they are to do in being representing your company & giving the client a journey, holiday or excursion to remember & more importantly bringing the customer back for future business.
2070.seivo

Post by 2070.seivo »

Rhyeree wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:44 pm As an operator at 34 years old, i fall inbetween. I've relied heavily on experienced drivers in the past who have bucket loads of experience. I've also chucked drivers in at the deep end. Some older drivers think they can rule the roost, i've done it this way for 20 plus years etc. They dont like to be told what to do & how to do it, even by me their employer, who pays their wages, finds the work, pays for the vehicle maintenance. Dont really care how it was done 20 years ago, this is what / how i want things done now. I'd have done my research, talked with stake holders etc before deciding my course of action. The sooner these drivers stop throwing their toys out the pram due to someone getting more / better work than them, better coach than them, the better. Everyone's got to start somewhere.
sound familiar
Arthu8lhue

Post by Arthu8lhue »

I've worked with this young lad on a two driver job because he is still learning and this guy if he carries on will be one of the best because he's willing to learn and wants to as well
wardiGGeo

Post by wardiGGeo »

As one of the younger ones (I'm 31) iv found and still find it hard to get jobs over the older drivers even though I have held my licence for infact longer than them. I have struggled to get the experience that others got. I can honestly say it's hard for us and I do think that there's still an old fashioned attitude out there. Throughout the years iv found that lads are more likely to get the opportunity than a lass is. You really have to fight your corner to get the experience. Iv only recently had the faith put in me to do the job and honestly I cannot thank him enough for that.
Adeeny

Post by Adeeny »

wardiGGeo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:53 pm As one of the younger ones (I'm 31) iv found and still find it hard to get jobs over the older drivers even though I have held my licence for infact longer than them. I have struggled to get the experience that others got. I can honestly say it's hard for us and I do think that there's still an old fashioned attitude out there. Throughout the years iv found that lads are more likely to get the opportunity than a lass is. You really have to fight your corner to get the experience. Iv only recently had the faith put in me to do the job and honestly I cannot thank him enough for that.
Try starting out at 19
Adeeny

Post by Adeeny »

wardiGGeo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:53 pm As one of the younger ones (I'm 31) iv found and still find it hard to get jobs over the older drivers even though I have held my licence for infact longer than them. I have struggled to get the experience that others got. I can honestly say it's hard for us and I do think that there's still an old fashioned attitude out there. Throughout the years iv found that lads are more likely to get the opportunity than a lass is. You really have to fight your corner to get the experience. Iv only recently had the faith put in me to do the job and honestly I cannot thank him enough for that.
Now 24
wardiGGeo

Post by wardiGGeo »

Adeeny wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:54 pm
Now 24
Started at 18 now 31
ianepod-313

Post by ianepod-313 »

wardiGGeo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:54 pm
Now 24
Started at 18 now 31
Yep, I started at 18, now 33. Passed with Arriva at Stockton in 2002, fortunately never been outta a job for the fact I have moved about a bit like...........
wardiGGeo

Post by wardiGGeo »

ianepod-313 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:55 pm

Now 24
Started at 18 now 31
Yep, I started at 18, now 33. Passed with Arriva at Stockton in 2002, fortunately never been outta a job for the fact I have moved about a bit like...........
April 2005 for me
Meal9rden

Post by Meal9rden »

wardiGGeo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:56 pm

Started at 18 now 31
April 2005 for me
Yep, 19 when I passed my test 52 now, and far worse than being young, I'm female! It really caused a lot of idiotic/chauvinistic comment back then.
EATONEUR

Post by EATONEUR »

Meal9rden wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:58 pm
wardiGGeo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:56 pm

April 2005 for me
Yep, 19 when I passed my test 52 now, and far worse than being young, I'm female! It really caused a lot of idiotic/chauvinistic comment back then.
Yep... Past all my licences at 17/18..in Army, was only allowed to go a certain distance when I came out the Army..... Was the youngest driver at 20........ Been in this industry nearly 40 years.... And YES a female...? Had the open shirt medallion men going to show me the ropes many a time Wink 😉 wink... If you know what I mean.
435.reganxo

Post by 435.reganxo »

U never stop learning the day u say u learned everything know everything seen everything its the day u should get out of the job cos u dont see know or learn everything
Lorris.deal

Post by Lorris.deal »

435.reganxo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:00 pm U never stop learning the day u say u learned everything know everything seen everything its the day u should get out of the job cos u dont see know or learn everything
We will always be learning.
Rhyeree

Post by Rhyeree »

Thats why i think using the right trainer & course to do DCPC is good. Brings everyone's knowledge up to date & current
Adeeny

Post by Adeeny »

Also lose a job or company as ur drivers get to old and don't want to do certain work or fail medical due to age and health or just retire but wait a young driver could have prevented that so lesson learned hopefully b4 it's 2 l8 😉
grayunn

Post by grayunn »

There will be a lot of operators not be able to do what you suggest with the double manning for someone to "tag along" and learn/take it in. Yes,Good idea but many operators would see that as an unnecessary 2nd wage. And it all comes down to money.
Cotta_excen

Post by Cotta_excen »

grayunn wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:03 pm There will be a lot of operators not be able to do what you suggest with the double manning for someone to "tag along" and learn/take it in. Yes,Good idea but many operators would see that as an unnecessary 2nd wage. And it all comes down to money.
Understand everything in life comes down to money but disappointing to hear if companies are working that close to the bone with profit margins that they can't "invest in people"
Rhyeree

Post by Rhyeree »

grayunn wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:03 pm There will be a lot of operators not be able to do what you suggest with the double manning for someone to "tag along" and learn/take it in. Yes,Good idea but many operators would see that as an unnecessary 2nd wage. And it all comes down to money.
I've done it in the past but only because the job required double man. It was a ski job & the inexperienced driver had only been driving 6 months. The less experienced driver went with a driver who'd done the exact same job 6/7 times the previous ski season. Also sent him on newmarket work in between passing & going skiing. The tour manager helped take the pressure off. He's now one of my best drivers, 6 years later
grayunn

Post by grayunn »

Rhyeree wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:04 pm
I've done it in the past but only because the job required double man. It was a ski job & the inexperienced driver had only been driving 6 months. The less experienced driver went with a driver who'd done the exact same job 6/7 times the previous ski season. Also sent him on newmarket work in between passing & going skiing. The tour manager helped take the pressure off. He's now one of my best drivers, 6 years later
At the end of the day,The driver who wants to learn has also got to be able to listen and take advice,Improvise as well. And no matter what age you are,No matter how good we think we are-We are ALL still learning every single day,Or at least that's the way I see it. If your willing to learn and listen? Your on the right track.
ferg7dros

Post by ferg7dros »

As an operator at 33 and dare I say a woman it's sometimes my own opinion that I don't get taken seriously. I had a great teacher in my dad who's sadly no longer here to guide me but I'm all for the evolution of the industry. Some younger drivers are an absolute credit to their companies with their willingness to learn. I have an 8 year old son itching to get behind the wheel 😂
2071_bicku

Post by 2071_bicku »

Cotta_excen wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:04 pm
Understand everything in life comes down to money but disappointing to hear if companies are working that close to the bone with profit margins that they can't "invest in people"
good I agree , the candidates to be over eighteen with a years driving experience and a grant from local and national government and a student loan like uni to help
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

There's also the risk of new drivers picking up very bad habits and possibly dangerously incorrect information from a stick in the mud who says "we do it my way it's best".
Rhyeree

Post by Rhyeree »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:10 pm There's also the risk of new drivers picking up very bad habits and possibly dangerously incorrect information from a stick in the mud who says "we do it my way it's best".
Hit the nail firmly on the head 👍🏻
Cotta_excen

Post by Cotta_excen »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:10 pm There's also the risk of new drivers picking up very bad habits and possibly dangerously incorrect information from a stick in the mud who says "we do it my way it's best".
That is a valid point but that's where the operator would be a step ahead of the game & pair up with a decent journeyman!
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Cotta_excen wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:11 pm
That is a valid point but that's where the operator would be a step ahead of the game & pair up with a decent journeyman!
In theory, but does the operator really know what people are actually doing when they're out?
I've seen several "journeymen" come, and go when they screw it up when their luck runs out and get found out.
I can name two "experts" who were sent to Paris together, royally screwed it up and damaged the coach, both lied a different story, the truth of any of it couldn't be extracted form either of them because they were covering their own arses..So they both got sacked immediately.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

In my opinion the only way an employer can hope to get someone to do something the way they want it done is train them in their ways and encourage them to learn.
Letting an old hand train isn't always a good thing, and unless it's a particular type of work you specialise in, you have to let them develop by experience as each day and each job is different in this game.
You can train someone to drive a coach, but you can't train someone to be a coach driver..
Cotta_excen

Post by Cotta_excen »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:12 pm
In my opinion the only way an employer can hope to get someone to do something the way they want it done is train them in their ways and encourage them to learn.
Letting an old hand train isn't always a good thing, and unless it's a particular type of work you specialise in, you have to let them develop by experience as each day and each job is different in this game.
You can train someone to drive a coach, but you can't train someone to be a coach driver..
I know exactly where your coming from Dayxana, every company has them, the driver's that when there not away on tour can't keep out of the office rather than being outside cleaning like everyone else.
Would just like to see some more guidance put into new generations coming through to keep standards of old as we all know a day in the life of a coach driver can be very daunting at times being a one man band.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

It's amusing seeing how the cycle works.
When I started with a large firm years ago as a newish driver I was part time, and the full timers moaned if us part timers did any decent work, they thought we should just do schools etc..
Now though, many of those full timers are retired or semi retired and doing some part time work, but they now want the cream jobs they slated the likes of me for doing when I was part time.
voomer_2019

Post by voomer_2019 »

I believe strongly in apprenticeship. I consider this a trade not just a job. I was lucky in that I had a great mentor. He spent the time showing me the ropes. In exchange I would help hem with his English. We have been freands from the beginning. We still swap war stories. I don't see many young drivers anymore. The long days on the road sleeping in cutrate motels turn them off. And those that do show up seem to be impatient and don't seem to listen to instructions.
164-wayemtuu

Post by 164-wayemtuu »

we need this mate a buddy system
LeeDownwind

Post by LeeDownwind »

The driver shortage in this country is diabolical, having "young" people to train up to the way a company wants you to be will not work. As a driver i have ways of working and chatting to passengers etc which isnt the way the company wants. Then you get other drivers in the industry that talk to customers like shit and tge company accepts that as ut is wheels in motion and an income coming in.
We all have our ways of working we all do things the way we know how or when something is put in front of us we decide which way to go. Its on our heads if it goes tits up its our fault. Yet if tge transport office says yeah do it your way "its still your fault" this industry isnt dieing yet but its close to it. I dont know many 18, 19, 20 year olds that wanna work weekends and or 10,12, or 15 hour days get home and say i cant wait to see my wage next week. Apprentaships are all well and good but not in the coaching industry.
moraginBO

Post by moraginBO »

If a company invests "hundreds of thousands in a coach" have you ever tried to cover a young driver mid term on the insurance for this "hundreds of thousand coach"?
Not easy!
I once had a driver that had an excess the value of the £250,000 coach if he dared drive it.
We got this wavered on negotiation at renewal by the insurance company but this is just another hurdle that doesn't encourage young drivers with PCV's.
Bard-wrap

Post by Bard-wrap »

Well i'm one of them old timers now but once upon a time I used to be one of those young bloods I spent 45 years wandering around Britain and Europe, never stopped learning and always willing to help if someone asked, personally I found a lot of young bloods weren't interested in advice unless it mean't earning shitloads of brass. Sometimes you take passengers places thats good for them but in the short term not for you, good coach drivers are hard to come by and those youngsters that choose this industry if nurtured properly and if they are willing to listen and learn will eventually make good drivers and in years to come will hopefully pass on their wisdom to the next generation. I can remember a young lad called Kevin who is nowadays doing just that with Adam
keevRappa

Post by keevRappa »

Bard-wrap wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:23 pm Well i'm one of them old timers now but once upon a time I used to be one of those young bloods I spent 45 years wandering around Britain and Europe, never stopped learning and always willing to help if someone asked, personally I found a lot of young bloods weren't interested in advice unless it mean't earning shitloads of brass. Sometimes you take passengers places thats good for them but in the short term not for you, good coach drivers are hard to come by and those youngsters that choose this industry if nurtured properly and if they are willing to listen and learn will eventually make good drivers and in years to come will hopefully pass on their wisdom to the next generation. I can remember a young lad called Kevin who is nowadays doing just that with Adam
Think you got the wrong person there mate
avvyncia

Post by avvyncia »

I advertised for a position such as this last year in the North West, a trainee coach driver with full training given.
The intention was to recruit a young lad, put him through his PCV and CPC, teach him and buddy him up with another driver for 12 months.
I didn't get one applicant!
Cotta_excen

Post by Cotta_excen »

avvyncia wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:25 pm I advertised for a position such as this last year in the North West, a trainee coach driver with full training given.
The intention was to recruit a young lad, put him through his PCV and CPC, teach him and buddy him up with another driver for 12 months.
I didn't get one applicant!
Now that is worrying, but good on you for being prepared to take someone under your wing & train up.
Adeeny

Post by Adeeny »

Because there is not enough incentives in to go into bus driving for young folk ie- un-sociable hours etc
avvyncia

Post by avvyncia »

Adeeny wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:26 pm Because there is not enough incentives in to go into bus driving for young folk ie- un-sociable hours etc
Surely though, for a young lad in his early twenties it has got to be a better option than a job in McDonalds or Morrisons? You see a bit of the world, essentially on Tour you are your own boss and if you do things properly, a pretty decent living can be made.
Adeeny

Post by Adeeny »

avvyncia wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:26 pm
Adeeny wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:26 pm Because there is not enough incentives in to go into bus driving for young folk ie- un-sociable hours etc
Surely though, for a young lad in his early twenties it has got to be a better option than a job in McDonalds or Morrisons? You see a bit of the world, essentially on Tour you are your own boss and if you do things properly, a pretty decent living can be made.
Not really, as they can't really drink unless the company can give them a fixed or planned workload which is rare also they can't hang out with there pals because you need to sleep 😴 so yeh as I say not enough unfortunately to encourage them as most the company's that put u through are like stagecoach and I even seen one guy do one shift and leave 😕
STANIONDE

Post by STANIONDE »

You won't need drivers shortly with driveless coaches, cars and lorries, operators will just programme a route and off they go, not in my time though, I've been in and out this trade since 1972 and lean something new everyday, I'm not afraid of competition from others and still at it at 67, don't need to be but enjoy meeting people and discovering new places.
keevRappa

Post by keevRappa »

Being a younger driver I have heard most of the put downs but in all honesty it's mostly banter and if you can't accept a wee bit of a slaggin your in the wrong industry.
Time and time again this crops up, the facts are there's been too many big companies thought for too long drivers are replaceable easily and had the attitude if you don't want to do it some one else will. The conditions aren't great and you could earn similar or better money in a call centre or packing shelfs in a supermarket. Personally I still enjoy the job for the most part and that's the thing that keeps me driving if I was doing it just for a wage I probably wouldn't.
briirce-2072

Post by briirce-2072 »

keevRappa wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:30 pm Being a younger driver I have heard most of the put downs but in all honesty it's mostly banter and if you can't accept a wee bit of a slaggin your in the wrong industry.
Time and time again this crops up, the facts are there's been too many big companies thought for too long drivers are replaceable easily and had the attitude if you don't want to do it some one else will. The conditions aren't great and you could earn similar or better money in a call centre or packing shelfs in a supermarket. Personally I still enjoy the job for the most part and that's the thing that keeps me driving if I was doing it just for a wage I probably wouldn't.
Well said scooby 😜
keevRappa

Post by keevRappa »

briirce-2072 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:32 pm
keevRappa wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:30 pm Being a younger driver I have heard most of the put downs but in all honesty it's mostly banter and if you can't accept a wee bit of a slaggin your in the wrong industry.
Well said scooby 😜
Nae bother shaggy
LOCHEREX

Post by LOCHEREX »

Some companies need to up their training there's no point in giving someone a bus and not telling them everything they need to know. Daft things like this coach has three master switches and one controls the A/C little things like that. IMO every vehicle should have a copy of the instrument panel on board.
Angee-land

Post by Angee-land »

Most drivers in the coaching industry have to learn something new everyday.
I'm a female & I have had problems with other drivers that think they know it all & the odd one that thinks he has a right to put me down because I'm a Woman.
All coach drivers should have proper medicals done by their own Gp's because some drivers are not fit to drive a coach.
It should also be compulsory that coach companies have criminal records checks done on all their drivers to make sure they are a fit & proper person to be near passengers.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Angee-land wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:36 pm Most drivers in the coaching industry have to learn something new everyday.
I'm a female & I have had problems with other drivers that think they know it all & the odd one that thinks he has a right to put me down because I'm a Woman.
All coach drivers should have proper medicals done by their own Gp's because some drivers are not fit to drive a coach.
It should also be compulsory that coach companies have criminal records checks done on all their drivers to make sure they are a fit & proper person to be near passengers.
Interesting. You have a simplistic innacurate view of things.
Angee-land

Post by Angee-land »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:36 pm
Angee-land wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:36 pm Most drivers in the coaching industry have to learn something new everyday.
Accurate view of things.
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

Angee-land wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:36 pm
Accurate view of things.
No its not. Criminal record checks prove noting except they've not been caught.
And how do you back your statement that many drivers are medically unfit?
Explain.
Angee-land

Post by Angee-land »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:37 pm

Accurate view of things.
Explain.
All drivers should have a DBS check.
Notice I used the word Some..
You used the word Many...
phille

Post by phille »

Angee-land wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:37 pm

Accurate view of things.
Explain.
And alla dbs proves is that you haven't been caught!
I personally know drivers that that can get a Sussex badge but cannot get a Surrey one... explain that?
Angee-land

Post by Angee-land »

phille wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:38 pm

Explain.
I personally know drivers that that can get a Sussex badge but cannot get a Surrey one... explain that?
Ask sussex & surrey to explain that.
The reason for the DBS is for the purpose of checking people after what that care taker did to them two young Vulnerable Innocent young girls.
phille

Post by phille »

Angee-land wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:38 pm

The reason for the DBS is for the purpose of checking people after what that care taker did to them two young Vulnerable Innocent young girls.
Yes but all a dbs proves is that you haven't been caught....
Dayxana

Post by Dayxana »

phille wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:39 pm

That animal had a clean dbs! It proves nothing! So how do you know drivers are unfit I asked?
Angee-land

Post by Angee-land »

Dayxana wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:39 pm
phille wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:39 pm

That animal had a clean dbs! It proves nothing! So how do you know drivers are unfit I asked?
No pal no need for fighting Jordon is better than the driver that tried to put him down.
Trust have faith in God & the universe that driver whoever he is will go down first.

Post by fitlowsMax »

The reason there is no younger blood coming into the industry is that you can't earn the money you use to be able to 20 years ago and also the operators pay SH*T money.
briirce-2072

Post by briirce-2072 »

fitlowsMax wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:42 pm The reason there is no younger blood coming into the industry is that you can't earn the money you use to be able to 20 years ago and also the operators pay SH*T money.
I make nothing like I used to see my dad coming home with after tours but still better than what I did but there was some serious money to be made long before started driving
Elan.primo

Post by Elan.primo »

My company's policies are have you got a licence and a pulse if the answer is yes you are a coach driver
stepparg

Post by stepparg »

You live and learn if your doing it right
stoph+chmi

Post by stoph+chmi »

I always say you learn something new every day. I'm a sort of new driver as such. Been in it now for 4 years. Been a woman, I find it really hard to get accepted as such, and feel a lot of the 'older boys' judge me for that? Maybe it's cause I'm young, maybe it's because I'm a woman! I don't know. I feel acceptance is a big thing, on occasions I feel I'm 'not good enough' but, then I look at it on the other hand and think, if my boss's didn't think I was good enough, he wouldn't allocate me the work he does.
I feel a lot of it is down to how your boss treats you as a younger driver, in a previous company I worked for a manager thought he was gods gift to the industry and thought he could drive 10 coaches at once, you thought you were doing a good job basically to just get slated.
Some of the older boys I find are a wealth of knowledge and some are willing to teach the younger generation, merely because they like to see someone succeed. But that said, you do get some older boys who would and will go out of there way to mess you up.
Gracently

Post by Gracently »

stoph+chmi wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:44 pm I always say you learn something new every day. I'm a sort of new driver as such. Been in it now for 4 years. Been a woman, I find it really hard to get accepted as such, and feel a lot of the 'older boys' judge me for that? Maybe it's cause I'm young, maybe it's because I'm a woman! I don't know. I feel acceptance is a big thing, on occasions I feel I'm 'not good enough' but, then I look at it on the other hand and think, if my boss's didn't think I was good enough, he wouldn't allocate me the work he does.
I feel a lot of it is down to how your boss treats you as a younger driver, in a previous company I worked for a manager thought he was gods gift to the industry and thought he could drive 10 coaches at once, you thought you were doing a good job basically to just get slated.
Some of the older boys I find are a wealth of knowledge and some are willing to teach the younger generation, merely because they like to see someone succeed. But that said, you do get some older boys who would and will go out of there way to mess you up.
I'm a Paramedic and that profession was traditionally male. We now have close to a 50 50 mix. It's my experience that women, young or any other age are equally as capable as I am. I'm 53 so I am now classed as " one of the older ones " and I have to work hard to make sure I keep up with clinical and medical advances and equipment. In my experience the younger staff both men and women adapt easier and take new developments on board more readily than older staff. I'm pretty sure the same applies to this industry. So don't let the dinosaurs drag you young men and women down, you'll be teaching us one day. 😉😎😀hold your heads high. Be very proud of what you've already achieved in your short years. You are the future and operators should and most likely do see you as their best assets. 😎
briirce-2072

Post by briirce-2072 »

Gracently wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:45 pm
stoph+chmi wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:44 pm I always say you learn something new every day. I'm a sort of new driver as such. Been in it now for 4 years. Been a woman, I find it really hard to get accepted as such, and feel a lot of the 'older boys' judge me for that? Maybe it's cause I'm young, maybe it's because I'm a woman! I don't know. I feel acceptance is a big thing, on occasions I feel I'm 'not good enough' but, then I look at it on the other hand and think, if my boss's didn't think I was good enough, he wouldn't allocate me the work he does.
I'm a Paramedic and that profession was traditionally male. We now have close to a 50 50 mix. It's my experience that women, young or any other age are equally as capable as I am. I'm 53 so I am now classed as " one of the older ones " and I have to work hard to make sure I keep up with clinical and medical advances and equipment. In my experience the younger staff both men and women adapt easier and take new developments on board more readily than older staff. I'm pretty sure the same applies to this industry. So don't let the dinosaurs drag you young men and women down, you'll be teaching us one day. 😉😎😀hold your heads high. Be very proud of what you've already achieved in your short years. You are the future and operators should and most likely do see you as their best assets. 😎
I was one of the youngest to start where I am but worked with a lot of woman drivers before then was more than happy to take any knowledge from shouldn't mater young old male or female you can either do the job and enjoy it or hate it and do something else just my opinion though

Return to “Bus and coach drivers | General discussions”