Hi all, Advise if you came across this before: If any of you have come across this issue before, how did you resolve

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Kom8rcenDJ

Hi all, Advise if you came across this before: If any of you have come across this issue before, how did you resolve

Post by Kom8rcenDJ »

Hi all,
Advise if you came across this before:
During a maintenance investigation visite for my client, the report shows that some vehicles DtP numbers (used for RBT) are incorrect.
I called the Department for Transport, DVLA with no luck for any help.
If any of you have come across this issue before, how did you resolve it and which Department did you contact.
Thank you in advance for your input.
ThrillTribee

Re: Hi all, Advise if you came across this before: If any of you have come across this issue before, how did you resolve

Post by ThrillTribee »

The DtP is always on the ministry plate. Not sure how it can be wrong.
Kom8rcenDJ

Re: Hi all, Advise if you came across this before: If any of you have come across this issue before, how did you resolve

Post by Kom8rcenDJ »

ThrillTribee wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:28 pm The DtP is always on the ministry plate. Not sure how it can be wrong.
that's the very question I have been asking. Just checked, 2 vehicles have the same DtP number
ray+exad

Post by ray+exad »

Kom8rcenDJ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:28 pm
ThrillTribee wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:28 pm The DtP is always on the ministry plate. Not sure how it can be wrong.
that's the very question I have been asking. Just checked, 2 vehicles have the same DtP number
Assuming that we are talking about he same number, the Dtp ref number is not specific to a vehicle, it is specific to a vehicle type and used when Roller Brake Trsting (RBT). The VTG7 will have a unique number on each certificate, but that is different to the Dtp reference no.
ray+exad

Post by ray+exad »

hope that helps.
Kom8rcenDJ

Post by Kom8rcenDJ »

ray+exad wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:29 pm
Assuming that we are talking about he same number, the Dtp ref number is not specific to a vehicle, it is specific to a vehicle type and used when Roller Brake Trsting (RBT). The VTG7 will have a unique number on each certificate, but that is different to the Dtp reference no.
yes I think we are on the same page. I agree with all you said but the only trouble is that the 2 vehicles concerned have 2 different brake types.
One is 8 wheeler drum brake and the other one is 8 wheeler disc brake. So as using different braking system, could they still share the same DtP? I believe not but please let me know your thoughts on that
ray+exad

Post by ray+exad »

Kom8rcenDJ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:30 pm

yes I think we are on the same page. I agree with all you said but the only trouble is that the 2 vehicles concerned have 2 different brake types.
One is 8 wheeler drum brake and the other one is 8 wheeler disc brake. So as using different braking system, could they still share the same DtP? I believe not but please let me know your thoughts on that
probably not a very helpful answer but, they could , but probably shouldn't.
ray+exad

Post by ray+exad »

This may help
https://www.data.gov.uk/dataset/fe764ae ... r-database
515hayconvas

Post by 515hayconvas »

The DTP number corresponds to brake layout in the RBT tester software, it relates to split, how many axles, and what axle to test secondary and parking on, it doesn't relate to what type is fitted (Disc or Drum)
Kom8rcenDJ

Post by Kom8rcenDJ »

515hayconvas wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:32 pm

The DTP number corresponds to brake layout in the RBT tester software, it relates to split, how many axles, and what axle to test secondary and parking on, it doesn't relate to what type is fitted (Disc or Drum)
that's insightful. So 2 different vehicles Disc and drum systems can share the same DtP number? If I understand correctly?
515hayconvas

Post by 515hayconvas »

Kom8rcenDJ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:32 pm
515hayconvas wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:32 pm

that's insightful. So 2 different vehicles Disc and drum systems can share the same DtP number? If I understand correctly?
yes, as long as axle configuration, brake split, GVW, and weights are the same
Jimg_Zoom

Post by Jimg_Zoom »

Helped a client going for a PI with the same problem, the dpt was incorrect and as you say the DVSA were useless but they did say it was a known problem.
I then got a headed letter from the technician who carried out the rbt to state why he had to do the rbt without the dtp number, ie the braking configuration was incorrect, when he entered the dtp it wanted to do a parking brake test on the third axle where as this vehicle ABC123 had the parking brake on the second axle. This was eventually accepted by the TC.
Kom8rcenDJ

Post by Kom8rcenDJ »

Jimg_Zoom wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:33 pm Helped a client going for a PI with the same problem, the dpt was incorrect and as you say the DVSA were useless but they did say it was a known problem.
I then got a headed letter from the technician who carried out the rbt to state why he had to do the rbt without the dtp number, ie the braking configuration was incorrect, when he entered the dtp it wanted to do a parking brake test on the third axle where as this vehicle ABC123 had the parking brake on the second axle. This was eventually accepted by the TC.
so it is in the Remit of DVSA I presume. But they don't seem to know much about the issue, at least the solution. So did you just call them and explain to them?
Jimg_Zoom

Post by Jimg_Zoom »

Kom8rcenDJ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:33 pm
Jimg_Zoom wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:33 pm Helped a client going for a PI with the same problem, the dpt was incorrect and as you say the DVSA were useless but they did say it was a known problem.
so it is in the Remit of DVSA I presume. But they don't seem to know much about the issue, at least the solution. So did you just call them and explain to them?
if you look at the bottom of a VTG 10 there are some contact details, it was these people I contacted, I was asked to fill in a vtg10 with the braking configuration and send it to them, I personally never heard anything back, but after the PI I didn’t do any work for the operator, so I don’t know if she had anything back
Attachments
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (131.17 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Kom8rcenDJ

Post by Kom8rcenDJ »

Jimg_Zoom wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:35 pm
Kom8rcenDJ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:33 pm
if you look at the bottom of a VTG 10 there are some contact details, it was these people I contacted, I was asked to fill in a vtg10 with the braking configuration and send it to them, I personally never heard anything back, but after the PI I didn’t do any work for the operator, so I don’t know if she had anything back
thank you
Martynet

Post by Martynet »

There's a DTP database, here

https://www.data.gov.uk/dataset/fe764ae ... r-database

Find you vehicle and request a change.
Stepowri

Post by Stepowri »

The question is unclear, but I would imagine, from experience, that the DTP number being entered by the tester, is what is wrong...
Quite common this is, where the fitter wants to manipulate the test report figures to appear better than they are, but it can of course be an honest mistake...
If the wrong DTP number is entered, it will be testing the vehicle to (potentially) the wrong standards...I have seen 2 axle vehicles tested as 3 axle vehicles and vice versa...
dunMoff

Post by dunMoff »

Send an email to here and they will email you back with the correct DTP codes
[email protected]
Alexicar-Mc

Post by Alexicar-Mc »

dunMoff wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:38 pm Send an email to here and they will email you back with the correct DTP codes
[email protected]
Yes, this. I had a vehicle recently with wrong DTp reference and with a bit of correspondence with this team it was easily resolved…with different (correct) DTp duly assigned.
515hayconvas

Post by 515hayconvas »

Attachments
Photo.jpg
Photo.jpg (122.77 KiB) Viewed 74 times
BillStill

Post by BillStill »

You can access a list to check you have the correct dtp number. If I can find I will send you the link, alternatively, check with the manufacturer.
HurstBear

Post by HurstBear »

I have had instances where the DtP isn't wrong but the GVW listed when the DtP number is inputted is wrong. Contacted manufacturer and they issued new plates with a different DtP number.

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”