Hello, Seems to be plenty of work about, everyone starting to get busier again. Has anyone’s rates improved at all?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Stevelinfo

Hello, Seems to be plenty of work about, everyone starting to get busier again. Has anyone’s rates improved at all?

Post by Stevelinfo »

robinfa

Re: Hello, Seems to be plenty of work about, everyone starting to get busier again. Has anyone’s rates improved at all?

Post by robinfa »

Not a chance and the fuel is starting to creep up as well
Stevelinfo

Re: Hello, Seems to be plenty of work about, everyone starting to get busier again. Has anyone’s rates improved at all?

Post by Stevelinfo »

robinfa wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:13 pm Not a chance and the fuel is starting to creep up as well
Yeah that’s not gone unnoticed! There’s plenty round southampton at the moment I know a few struggled though
welchoo

Post by welchoo »

No. We' ve dropped 4-6 ppm on traction only and some domestic is down 20% per job. Fuel was 78/79/80 ppl when the rate cut took effect. Now nudging 92 ppl
Stevelinfo

Post by Stevelinfo »

welchoo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:15 pm No. We' ve dropped 4-6 ppm on traction only and some domestic is down 20% per job. Fuel was 78/79/80 ppl when the rate cut took effect. Now nudging 92 ppl
Yeah we’re on 91.4 this week. Was 90.5 last week so slowly easing back up! What rates are you actually getting at the moment hearing stories of some really awful rates out there!
welchoo

Post by welchoo »

Stevelinfo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:16 pm
welchoo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:15 pm No. We' ve dropped 4-6 ppm on traction only and some domestic is down 20% per job. Fuel was 78/79/80 ppl when the rate cut took effect. Now nudging 92 ppl
Yeah we’re on 91.4 this week. Was 90.5 last week so slowly easing back up! What rates are you actually getting at the moment hearing stories of some really awful rates out there!
Traction only is anywhere from £1.40/1 - £1.44.... with our own kit we aim for anything above £1.55... DFDS chopped us off at the knees in March.... Take it or leave it...
tettehfall

Post by tettehfall »

I gave up trying to earn a living on those rates in 2010
Stevelinfo

Post by Stevelinfo »

welchoo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:16 pm
Traction only is anywhere from £1.40/1 - £1.44.... with our own kit we aim for anything above £1.55... DFDS chopped us off at the knees in March.... Take it or leave it...
I take it that’s all miles not loaded? We run on 1.48 a mile we pull a profit but it’s hard out there and you’ve got to have good blokes around you grafting. Do you lease or own?
welchoo

Post by welchoo »

Stevelinfo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:18 pm

I take it that’s all miles not loaded? We run on 1.48 a mile we pull a profit but it’s hard out there and you’ve got to have good blokes around you grafting. Do you lease or own?
It's all miles.. some will pay you a day minimum... Which appears to be £420/440... We were just nudging £1.48 before pandemic... Fuel has helped but we've still got all the other costs... We're treading water nothing more. I've not looked at the fleet. Ive a Euro 5 to dispose of if the ULEZs start to come in.. Leeds CAZ is close to me. Not even looked at DVS but I should have one done. No one is paying for ADR etc....
welchoo

Post by welchoo »

We run 4... 50% owned 50% lease... Trying to get to the stage where we own the trailers.
tettehfall

Post by tettehfall »

welchoo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:18 pm We run 4... 50% owned 50% lease... Trying to get to the stage where we own the trailers.
it is shit work mate but you can get £450 per shift for Aldi, double shift the unit, hardly any fuel and you can turn a profit. Hard to see a profit in much else these days.
Stevelinfo

Post by Stevelinfo »

welchoo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:18 pm

It's all miles.. some will pay you a day minimum... Which appears to be £420/440... We were just nudging £1.48 before pandemic... Fuel has helped but we've still got all the other costs... We're treading water nothing more. I've not looked at the fleet. Ive a Euro 5 to dispose of if the ULEZs start to come in.. Leeds CAZ is close to me. Not even looked at DVS but I should have one done. No one is paying for ADR etc....
I wouldn’t want to run on £420 a day. We aim for 1700 miles a week to 1900 miles a week. How many are you running? We pull our own trailers and the units we’re about to be changed (might hold off on that now lol) all volvos but looking at MANs on 18/19 plates there’s some good deals on them financed! But don’t know them to well. We done away with our last euro 5 a couple of years ago for all this euro6 bollox!
welchoo

Post by welchoo »

Stevelinfo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:20 pm
welchoo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:18 pm

I wouldn’t want to run on £420 a day. We aim for 1700 miles a week to 1900 miles a week. How many are you running? We pull our own trailers and the units we’re about to be changed (might hold off on that now lol) all volvos but looking at MANs on 18/19 plates there’s some good deals on them financed! But don’t know them to well. We done away with our last euro 5 a couple of years ago for all this euro6 bollox!
we run MAN. They're not a Scania or Volvo but they're not Scania or Volvo money. I bought a 65 plate 26.440 from DG Taylor driffield £15k... 420'000 Kms ex PCL MAN maintained. We got 3 months warranty. Wouldn't buy another 440. Fuel is 8.25 to 8.5 average fully freighted. The 17/18 plates are 420s, 460s, 500s I would guess. I'd guess they'd be £25k ish.. parts are reasonable. Ours are maintained by HRVS... Can't fault them although labour rate is creeping up. I fit non gen body panels. Bison or IMEX have non gen parts in stock for next day delivery.
jimboot

Post by jimboot »

Started back 3 week ago, I didn't think Scotland could drop any lower.
95ppm some are now.
I just worked out if I get to Manchester area empty I could save myself half a day and make more money getting some miles in from there.
I'll bet the prices stay there until all owner drivers tell them all where to go.
Stevelinfo

Post by Stevelinfo »

jimboot wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:22 pm Started back 3 week ago, I didn't think Scotland could drop any lower.
95ppm some are now.
I just worked out if I get to Manchester area empty I could save myself half a day and make more money getting some miles in from there.
I'll bet the prices stay there until all owner drivers tell them all where to go.
Surely there all running at a loss?
jimboot

Post by jimboot »

Stevelinfo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:22 pm
jimboot wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:22 pm Started back 3 week ago, I didn't think Scotland could drop any lower.
95ppm some are now.
Surely there all running at a loss?
Maybe 20 or 30 quid profit if no lorry park but chipping in for fuel on occasion, I do make it up when south but it's very stressful start to every week.
tettehfall

Post by tettehfall »

you could get over 100ppm for Norfolk line running abroad I thought that was lowest of the low ten years ago
jimboot

Post by jimboot »

Falkirk to Hull 220.
Stirling to Long Marston 320.
Got a 250 to Manchester this Monday, 43 tonne waste.
These are also next day deliveries.
Tbh they've only dropped about 15ppm.
I've about 12 different customers and they all have around the same prices at certain times.
One offered me 220 Falkirk to Liverpool, I knocked it back and they phoned me for 200 Greenock to Livingston 20 minutes later.
All very confusing.
Before this covid I'd get one or 2 locals then south but local work is quiet just now.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”