Good evening guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I’m in the process of setting up on my own...

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
bradsweed

Good evening guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I’m in the process of setting up on my own...

Post by bradsweed »

Good evening guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I’m in the process of setting up on my own I’ve found the ideal vehicle but trying to insure it without my O licence is proving difficult. Obviously I won’t be driving commercially until I get my o licence but don’t want to miss out on this truck. Can anyone recommend an insurance company who would run me a quote?? Thanks In advance.
aliftwor

Re: Good evening guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I’m in the process of setting up on my own...

Post by aliftwor »

If you go to nova insurance they sorted it for us when we set up not the cheapest though
Cruceruss

Re: Good evening guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I’m in the process of setting up on my own...

Post by Cruceruss »

Can't see why they won't insure it. Tell them you only need fire and theft to start with whilst you get your application. If you've no no claims expect your first year to cost you at least £3500-4000 including goods in transit and public liability...
Cruceruss

Post by Cruceruss »

I wouldn't get hung up on the truck.... There's a lot of good deals about... Unless it's a 19 plate Scania for £10k.... 😁
bradsweed

Post by bradsweed »

Cruceruss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:20 pm I wouldn't get hung up on the truck.... There's a lot of good deals about... Unless it's a 19 plate Scania for £10k.... 😁
it’s actually a 2020 for £7k lol
Cruceruss

Post by Cruceruss »

bradsweed wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:21 pm
Cruceruss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:20 pm I wouldn't get hung up on the truck.... There's a lot of good deals about... Unless it's a 19 plate Scania for £10k.... 😁
well done.... Think about the CAZ and ULEZ areas that will spring up later this year. Don't buy Euro 5 unless you can guarantee categorically that you won't be going into any of the big cities.... London starts October, Leeds this year closely followed by Manchester and everywhere else...
bradsweed

Post by bradsweed »

Cruceruss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:21 pm
well done.... Think about the CAZ and ULEZ areas that will spring up later this year. Don't buy Euro 5 unless you can guarantee categorically that you won't be going into any of the big cities.... London starts October, Leeds this year closely followed by Manchester and everywhere else...
I will bear this in mind thank you 👍🏻
Cruceruss

Post by Cruceruss »

bradsweed wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:22 pm
Cruceruss wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:21 pm

I will bear this in mind thank you 👍🏻
lot of cheap Euro 5s about.... Starting at £5-6k...
Garthor

Post by Garthor »

I’m in the same position and you will find that they all want your O License number before they will quote
Kenfous

Post by Kenfous »

Garthor wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:23 pm I’m in the same position and you will find that they all want your O License number before they will quote
same for me when I started out with larger vihecles and TC can knock you back for such small things
jackwhack

Post by jackwhack »

Garthor wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:23 pm I’m in the same position and you will find that they all want your O License number before they will quote
compare hgv insurance can do it, 01952570039. Can’t be used for business but can give you fully comp
Kennetui

Post by Kennetui »

Far better to get your O Licence first, if you get knocked back then you have wasted a heap off money and loose loads more on the truck
gibsonixdr

Post by gibsonixdr »

Might be able to put you in touch with someone who can collect and deliver depending where collection and delivery is?
Kennetui

Post by Kennetui »

problem is if you are caught carrying goods without an O license your truck and load will be impounded You can get round it by insuring it for your own use like taking a steam engine to shows it will probably cost you around £400 per year But don't buy a truck if you are not going to keep driving it It cost me a fortune with things going wrong during Corona
ionitabr

Post by ionitabr »

We can certainly help with this bradsweed
Attachments
hgv.jpg
hgv.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 346 times
PauBook

Post by PauBook »

You will need a O license number
CharlieWas

Post by CharlieWas »

PauBook wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:38 pm You will need a O license number
I didn’t
PauBook

Post by PauBook »

CharlieWas wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:39 pm
PauBook wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:38 pm You will need a O license number
I didn’t
Well then help the lad
DustDunem

Post by DustDunem »

Don't get own truck no money... But if you do get o licence first just incase you get turned down..
Jogriffer

Post by Jogriffer »

Avis. They insured my two before the operators licence came through 👍🏻

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”