Hello, What do you think would be the best truck to start with as new operator. Will buying from auction good idea?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Antonisher

Hello, What do you think would be the best truck to start with as new operator. Will buying from auction good idea?

Post by Antonisher »

Hello there,
I will be looking to purchase one or two truck unit euro 6 2015-2017.
To do trumping work and two skelly trailers I would appreciate if you could share with me your experience on the following trucks.
Scania
Daf
Renault
Volvo
Mercedes
Man
What do you think would be the best truck to start with as new operator.
Will buying from auction good idea?
Skeleton trailers.
Whats good between
Disk brake / drum brake
Bpw/ror/ saf
Trailer would be any thing between 2005-2010
WilliaThug

Re: Hello, What do you think would be the best truck to start with as new operator. Will buying from auction good idea?

Post by WilliaThug »

Before you commit to anything do you have guaranteed paying work? If you don't, don't bother. If you do, what is your budget? Trucks are trucks... Most people have a favored marque... We run MAN not because they're the best but because they're reasonable to buy, mechanically they're sound and parts prices are not astronomical. Personally we use a main dealer because they have ready access to parts but there is an independent garage close by who are slightly cheaper on labour. Trailers, buy drum, avoid discs like the plague. BPW rarely go wrong. Have seen 2011 skeletal going as cheap as £3500 each...
Antonisher

Re: Hello, What do you think would be the best truck to start with as new operator. Will buying from auction good idea?

Post by Antonisher »

WilliaThug wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:33 am Before you commit to anything do you have guaranteed paying work? If you don't, don't bother. If you do, what is your budget? Trucks are trucks... Most people have a favored marque... We run MAN not because they're the best but because they're reasonable to buy, mechanically they're sound and parts prices are not astronomical. Personally we use a main dealer because they have ready access to parts but there is an independent garage close by who are slightly cheaper on labour. Trailers, buy drum, avoid discs like the plague. BPW rarely go wrong. Have seen 2011 skeletal going as cheap as £3500 each...
Budget £16,000 per unit
Ideal truck that you can get parts easily in a friendly prices also not having on going breakdowns and have to be dealt by main dealer always.
Also fuel consumption matters most.
I was told by few about man are expensive to maintain??
WilliaThug

Post by WilliaThug »

Antonisher wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:33 am
WilliaThug wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:33 am Before you commit to anything do you have guaranteed paying work? If you don't, don't bother. If you do, what is your budget? Trucks are trucks... Most people have a favored marque... We run MAN not because they're the best but because they're reasonable to buy, mechanically they're sound and parts prices are not astronomical. Personally we use a main dealer because they have ready access to parts but there is an independent garage close by who are slightly cheaper on labour. Trailers, buy drum, avoid discs like the plague. BPW rarely go wrong. Have seen 2011 skeletal going as cheap as £3500 each...
Budget £16,000 per unit
Ideal truck that you can get parts easily in a friendly prices also not having on going breakdowns and have to be dealt by main dealer always.
we've run 7 in 4 years. Nothing major gone wrong. Bought 1st last year and a 2nd this year. Ex fleet motor from MAN. (ex PCL) dealer maintained from new... Approx. 400 k.. £15k... Euro 6 65 plate. Not the best truck to drive but reasonable. Averages 8.5 mpg fully freighted. If you're prepared to go a little older there is some stuff about now. We had an Actros. Great new with dealer back up but I wouldn't touch a used one... Gearbox, clutch TCM are the Achilles heel... Big money when they go wrong... If you're buying get recovery insurance... About £500 per truck... Worth having. Unlimited recoveries
Attachments
truckman.jpg
truckman.jpg (9.62 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
charlesse

Post by charlesse »

I find MAN shocking shit always break down even new no matter how you look after them and gearbox is programmed by Steve wonder haha worse gearbox in the industry worse truck cheap not for me sorry
WilliaThug

Post by WilliaThug »

charlesse wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:36 am I find MAN shocking shit always break down even new no matter how you look after them and gearbox is programmed by Steve wonder haha worse gearbox in the industry worse truck cheap not for me sorry
you've may be had bad luck. Yeah they're not a Volvo or Scania but they're not Volvo or Scania money. It's not always the truck it's the back up. Build quality is shite but mechanically they're sound.
Antonisher

Post by Antonisher »

WilliaThug wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:35 am
Antonisher wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:33 am
Budget £16,000 per unit
we've run 7 in 4 years. Nothing major gone wrong. Bought 1st last year and a 2nd this year. Ex fleet motor from MAN. (ex PCL) dealer maintained from new... Approx. 400 k.. £15k... Euro 6 65 plate. Not the best truck to drive but reasonable. Averages 8.5 mpg fully freighted. If you're prepared to go a little older there is some stuff about now. We had an Actros. Great new with dealer back up but I wouldn't touch a used one... Gearbox, clutch TCM are the Achilles heel... Big money when they go wrong... If you're buying get recovery insurance... About £500 per truck... Worth having. Unlimited recoveries
Really appreciate your advise
charlesse

Post by charlesse »

WilliaThug wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:36 am
charlesse wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:36 am I find MAN shocking shit always break down even new no matter how you look after them and gearbox is programmed by Steve wonder haha worse gearbox in the industry worse truck cheap not for me sorry
you've may be had bad luck. Yeah they're not a Volvo or Scania but they're not Volvo or Scania money. It's not always the truck it's the back up. Build quality is shite but mechanically they're sound.
maybe not a scania or volvo i never put them in the same bracket but even when i use to drive for others they bad mate and fuel shit on them i know someone who had a 440 one and went to scania 440 and gain 3 mpg more with same weight always fully freighted in truck world 3 mpg alot and they have training in saving fuel with the company and if they get below a certain mpg there in the office so bad truck
WilliaThug

Post by WilliaThug »

charlesse wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:38 am
maybe not a scania or volvo i never put them in the same bracket but even when i use to drive for others they bad mate and fuel shit on them i know someone who had a 440 one and went to scania 440 and gain 3 mpg more with same weight always fully freighted in truck world 3 mpg alot and they have training in saving fuel with the company and if they get below a certain mpg there in the office so bad truck
I'd look at a lease initially. We do 50/50.... You're looking at £375/380 per week on full R&M including tyres. No sleepless Nights
charlesse

Post by charlesse »

WilliaThug wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:38 am

I'd look at a lease initially. We do 50/50.... You're looking at £375/380 per week on full R&M including tyres. No sleepless Nights
yeah I do a lease i think but I'd never have a Man weather i worked for others or run my own never found them any good as a driver or operator but each to there own. like I said each to there own just a opinion
WilliaThug

Post by WilliaThug »

charlesse wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:39 am

yeah I do a lease i think but I'd never have a Man weather i worked for others or run my own never found them any good as a driver or operator but each to there own. like I said each to there own just a opinion
we run 2 440's and 2 480's. One of the 480's is a Euro 5.. outpulls the rest... Lot of cheap 440s on the market. Next one we buy will be a 500
charlesse

Post by charlesse »

WilliaThug wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:40 am
charlesse wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:39 am

we run 2 440's and 2 480's. One of the 480's is a Euro 5.. outpulls the rest... Lot of cheap 440s on the market. Next one we buy will be a 500
were my mate works got 450 scania nothing done out pulls a 480 man on hills every time specially on hills
Antonisher

Post by Antonisher »

I have seen few scania 440-450-410 going on reasonable price are they good as the 420?
charlesse

Post by charlesse »

only good thing i think is there a big cab that it good size for tramping so i give them that I think the ERF was a miles better truck for pulling the lot reliability
WilliaThug

Post by WilliaThug »

charlesse wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:42 am only good thing i think is there a big cab that it good size for tramping so i give them that I think the ERF was a miles better truck for pulling the lot reliability
yeah, they're good.. but they don't earn you more...
charlesse

Post by charlesse »

WilliaThug wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:43 am
charlesse wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:42 am only good thing i think is there a big cab that it good size for tramping so i give them that I think the ERF was a miles better truck for pulling the lot reliability
when i got handed keys to a Man i knew the shift was long that gearbox just doesn't know what to do it frustrating as a driver. no they don't earn more but you want a truck that up to the job the man price reflect in how bad they are each to there own miles per gallon shit on them to
WilliaThug

Post by WilliaThug »

charlesse wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:44 am
when i got handed keys to a Man i knew the shift was long that gearbox just doesn't know what to do it frustrating as a driver. no they don't earn more but you want a truck that up to the job the man price reflect in how bad they are each to there own miles per gallon shit on them to
next gen will have a Scania gearbox... Plan is to have 50/60 % parts common. MAN now supply Scania with components for the V8
charlesse

Post by charlesse »

WilliaThug wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:45 am
charlesse wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:44 am

next gen will have a Scania gearbox... Plan is to have 50/60 % parts common. MAN now supply Scania with components for the V8
Well hope scania sort them out if never hated a truck brand so much before and i love my trucks in not a brand man i just a sad git who loves trucks driving and owning and going the shows and man well almost put me off but like I said we all different that good and different taste
Maddium

Post by Maddium »

Nothing to touch Scania 450....fuel economy is remarkable, yes, the upfront price is an issue, but you will always recoup at sale with higher residuals and the fuel saving of 20 to 30 % over the life of the truck. Try Smith Bros for used 450 highline Scania.... They always have manuals and autos.... Tag or midlift ... Expect 15k for 2015 to 55k for 2017/8......our next one will be Swedish.
Wojciechap

Post by Wojciechap »

As a new operator I wouldn't be buying anything. Rent short term and see if there is any money in it. I can guarantee, that after a month on boxes you will be back here asking for food...
Antonisher

Post by Antonisher »

Wojciechap wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:47 am As a new operator I wouldn't be buying anything. Rent short term and see if there is any money in it. I can guarantee, that after a month on boxes you will be back here asking for food...
I agree in some of your advise but in relation of returns, many trucks out there busy in the road so I believe work is always there is just how you can source it and how you budget your self.
If there is no work I would think the trucks would be this much we see on the motorways
Wojciechap

Post by Wojciechap »

Antonisher wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:06 pm
Wojciechap wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:47 am As a new operator I wouldn't be buying anything. Rent short term and see if there is any money in it. I can guarantee, that after a month on boxes you will be back here asking for food...
I agree in some of your advise but in relation of returns, many trucks out there busy in the road so I believe work is always there is just how you can source it and how you budget your self.
If there is no work I would think the trucks would be this much we see on the motorways
a lot of trucks is a lot of competition, lot of competition is is driving prices down...
WilliaThug

Post by WilliaThug »

I'd second that... Our first truck on a deal with MAN was £250 per week... Excluding tyres on full R&M. No worries whatsoever. Had to put down 3 months rental with 1st but nothing with 2nd, if you're not driving one yourself what profit are you looking for? If you're not a CPC holder (TM) and you're paying an external TM to get an o licence and an accountant there'll be nothing left... On £2300 per week turnover you might make £240/250 after truck costs, wages, fuel, night out payments, employers NI, pension and holiday pay...
Antonisher

Post by Antonisher »

Wojciechap wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:07 pm
a lot of trucks is a lot of competition, lot of competition is is driving prices down...
To be honest I’m considering purchase rather than renting, the way I look at it £1000 per month paying someone to rent something that I might be able to purchase and use it to save running cost.
I might be wrong but please point out why renting instead of buying if the fund available. I’m cpc holder my self
Also I’m class 1 driver but I’m not planning to sit on the driver seat as I have another commitment how ever I can always jump and cover shifts etc. if you're not driving one yourself what profit are you looking for? If you're not a CPC holder (TM) and you're paying an external TM to get an o licence and an accountant there'll be nothing left... On £2300 per week turnover you might make £240/250 after truck costs, wages, fuel, night out payments, employers NI, pension and holiday pay...
Wojciechap

Post by Wojciechap »

Antonisher wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:11 pm
Wojciechap wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:07 pm

To be honest I’m considering purchase rather than renting, the way I look at it £1000 per month paying someone to rent something that I might be able to purchase and use it to save running cost.
I might be wrong but please point out why renting instead of buying if the fund available. I’m cpc holder my self
Also I’m class 1 driver but I’m not planning to sit on the driver seat as I have another commitment how ever I can always jump and cover shifts etc. if you're not driving one yourself what profit are you looking for? If you're not a CPC holder (TM) and you're paying an external TM to get an o licence and an accountant there'll be nothing left... On £2300 per week turnover you might make £240/250 after truck costs, wages, fuel, night out payments, employers NI, pension and holiday pay...
it's up to you. but bearing in mind your budget of 16k per unit E6, you are looking at some oldest/highest mileage examples of E6, and from my experience I can tell it's not gonna end up well
WilliaThug

Post by WilliaThug »

good luck.... It's a dog eat dog world at the moment and only going to get worse
Deniserry

Post by Deniserry »

Alot of company's dispose of trucks at 2 years old as the are usually spent
Andylama

Post by Andylama »

buying is generally best. but your looking at a older truck with your budget. have you got the funds for a major breakdown. if you rent to start it's all. fixed costs and can budget while waiting for money to come in and find your feet.
their maybe plenty trucks on road and you'll get plenty work but don't expect the rates to be any good. it's no good loading at 8am to tip at 2pm for a £150 load cause that's day over
charlesse

Post by charlesse »

I'd go for a daf xf or something to start of with stay away from MAN there shit even from new and auto gearbox is a joke more an of worse drivers can change gear in a truck better and feel cheap seem to fall apart daf xf super space cab upwards i work with
MarcellFox

Post by MarcellFox »

Buy Scania ...they have very good prices ....speak with thus guys ....
MarcellFox

Post by MarcellFox »

Scania direct sale +447469089404 Eyn
Antonisher

Post by Antonisher »

MarcellFox wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:20 pm Nice and VGC trucks
https://www.scania-used.co.uk/
Thanks
matthco

Post by matthco »

I’ll be doing same as you during summer. I'm debating either MAN or SCANIA.
Emmettro

Post by Emmettro »

matthco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:22 pm I’ll be doing same as you during summer. I'm debating either MAN or SCANIA.
matthco :lol: :lol: :lol:
GherGiles

Post by GherGiles »

Got 2 MAN 2015 euro 6 tractor units and one skelly trailer here for sale ready to work if interested
kingeact

Post by kingeact »

I have 2 skellies for sale both 2010 one Dennison and one SDC £3500 each
Antonisher

Post by Antonisher »

kingeact wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:29 pm I have 2 skellies for sale both 2010 one Dennison and one SDC £3500 each
Pm me some pictures of the skellys also what brake system are they on and axle brand?
kingeact

Post by kingeact »

Antonisher wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:30 pm
kingeact wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:29 pm I have 2 skellies for sale both 2010 one Dennison and one SDC £3500 each
Pm me some pictures of the skellys also what brake system are they on and axle brand?
They are on ROR drums working up to corona virus just been inspected all ready to go
Antonisher

Post by Antonisher »

kingeact wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:31 pm
Antonisher wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:30 pm
They are on ROR drums working up to corona virus just been inspected all ready to go
Ok
kingeact

Post by kingeact »

I also have a choice of Daf 106 units from 64 plate to 66 plate so I can help you with units & trailers
cheteau

Post by cheteau »

kingeact wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:32 pm I also have a choice of Daf 106 units from 64 plate to 66 plate so I can help you with units & trailers
can you send some details on these DAF’s please?
Thanks
Sumboatex

Post by Sumboatex »

kingeact wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:32 pm I also have a choice of Daf 106 units from 64 plate to 66 plate so I can help you with units & trailers
Hi Kingeact can you dm me some pictures pls thanks
Emmettro

Post by Emmettro »

If i was looking at buying a truck it would only be a Volvo 500
Tarcanc

Post by Tarcanc »

If you look at MAN have a word with Lawmans Commercials in Desford. What they don't know about MANs ain't worth knowing. I've got 2 Merc Actros and 1 DAF. The Mercs have been better on fuel and maintenance.
Alleneo

Post by Alleneo »

Tarcanc wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:38 pm If you look at MAN have a word with Lawmans Commercials in Desford. What they don't know about MANs ain't worth knowing. I've got 2 Merc Actros and 1 DAF. The Mercs have been better on fuel and maintenance.
nice to see your doing well mate 👍🏻
Tarcanc

Post by Tarcanc »

Alleneo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:41 pm
Tarcanc wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:38 pm If you look at MAN have a word with Lawmans Commercials in Desford. What they don't know about MANs ain't worth knowing. I've got 2 Merc Actros and 1 DAF. The Mercs have been better on fuel and maintenance.
nice to see your doing well mate 👍🏻
thx hows life on the tippers?
Robinny

Post by Robinny »

Trumping eh, best learn to spell if running a company
kiddLikeu

Post by kiddLikeu »

This is not a game for chancers
kingeact

Post by kingeact »

kiddLikeu wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:44 pm This is not a game for chancers
The mote than come along the lower the rates get and the big boys are now starting to jump ship Why do Eastern Europeans choose to come to UK to start up in transport when rates are far better in most of Europe the UK are running for diesel money and wages Nothing left to pay for truck or wages let alone Road Tax and Insurance Some container companies paying £1.25 per mile
kiddLikeu

Post by kiddLikeu »

kingeact wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:44 pm
kiddLikeu wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:44 pm This is not a game for chancers
The mote than come along the lower the rates get and the big boys are now starting to jump ship Why do Eastern Europeans choose to come to UK to start up in transport when rates are far better in most of Europe the UK are running for diesel money and wages Nothing left to pay for truck or wages let alone Road Tax and Insurance Some container companies paying £1.25 per mile
It will turn around it's not all about price. Service goes a long way and no way can you provide a timed service for 1.25 per mile. I would shut the doors if we run around for that.
billfranm23

Post by billfranm23 »

Looking for 20ft iso trailer or 30ft skeletal non sliding.

please contact me.
MauricioIngram

Post by MauricioIngram »

Hi. As for buying from auctions, it can be a bit of a gamble. Make sure you do your research and give those trucks a thorough inspection. And when it comes to brakes, both disk and drum have their pros and cons. It really depends on what you're looking for. Lastly, brands like BPW, ROR, and SAF all have their own unique qualities.
MauricioIngram

Post by MauricioIngram »

So, take your time and consider what's important to you. Reliability and maintenance should definitely be top priorities. The DAF XF, Volvo FH, and Mercedes Actros are all solid choices. But hey, have you checked out Truck Exporter's range of choices? They have lots of trucks, including Euro 6 models from 2015-2017. It might be worth a look.
alpine xf 95

Post by alpine xf 95 »

Without doubt DAF would be the best tractor unit to start with, and to operate long term, BUT you need to maintain them yourself ? As ANY main Stealer which ever make are a Waste of Time, Most can inspect them with out LOOKING at them lol ( I could do a better job watching from a motorway bridge ) We have a DAF with 1.5 millon on the clock Clutch at 1m turbo at 1.4 m Engine / box / axle / brakes disc not touched.
Maybe someone can show me a Scania that would last that long lol

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”