Good evening. How are people billing when operator adds on new vehicles on the license please?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Durage

Good evening. How are people billing when operator adds on new vehicles on the license please?

Post by Durage »

Good evening. How are people billing when operator adds on new vehicles on the license please? Once they have the unit or when TC approves ?
Context one of my operator extended his license to 4 vehicles but will only use 2 for now
WuCue

Re: Good evening. How are people billing when operator adds on new vehicles on the license please?

Post by WuCue »

Hello, personally I charge for vehicles on the licence. Not actually used. This is because you decrease your margin. Also it is your name an the licence with capacity granted.
Durage

Re: Good evening. How are people billing when operator adds on new vehicles on the license please?

Post by Durage »

WuCue wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:02 pm Hello, personally I charge for vehicles on the licence. Not actually used. This is because you decrease your margin. Also it is your name an the licence with capacity granted.
thanks
RowaNew

Post by RowaNew »

Everyone is different and it depends on your relationship with the Operator. I personally charge for what’s on the licence because it reduces the amount of operators/vehicles I can manage so I’d expect to be compensated for that.
You may however have a good relationship with your client and wish to do this at a reduced rate or not charge at all. But for me, if the vehicle is on the licence, the Operator should pay for that. If the Operator decides not to utilise that vehicle to earn money to meet their costs, then that’s up to them.
Yingle

Post by Yingle »

Definitely charge for what’s on the license. If the operator expects you to reserve that capacity, then they should be charged 👍
azabar

Post by azabar »

I charge from when paper work signed as you are tie in your time down... If its a small operator I charge half until. Licence Granted always charge for vehicles in the margin.....
Waqarti

Post by Waqarti »

Authorization rather than what is on the road because it reduces your margin
callenwe

Post by callenwe »

Once the vehicle is on the licence, it affects your capacity
NickHelp

Post by NickHelp »

Months money up front, ( if I wasn't allowed on the licence then I'd repay it. Not happened....yet!!!!) charge for everything on the licence too... you're a business as an etm not an employee..... some people can't distinguish between the two.
paunium

Post by paunium »

Up to you. Do you need the money? What type of relationship do you want to build?
At the moment I’m only charging for what is on the road with an operator. 💣
trickle

Post by trickle »

Can only charge for whats on road I have one with 5 but only got two
Adellan

Post by Adellan »

trickle wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:11 pm Can only charge for whats on road I have one with 5 but only got two
If I decided to get a licence for 50 but only put one on the road would you only charge me for the 1 vehicle effectively capping your income? I expect your answer will be no, therefore, you should 100% charge for all on the licence including the margin.
paunium

Post by paunium »

Adellan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:11 pm
trickle wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:11 pm Can only charge for whats on road I have one with 5 but only got two
If I decided to get a licence for 50 but only put one on the road would you only charge me for the 1 vehicle effectively capping your income? I expect your answer will be no, therefore, you should 100% charge for all on the licence including the margin.
essentially anything over 30 vehicles is classed as a full time role anyway and you would probably be employed.
As most ETM work is for smaller operators it’s a totally different situation
trickle

Post by trickle »

paunium wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:12 pm
Adellan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:11 pm
essentially anything over 30 vehicles is classed as a full time role anyway and you would probably be employed.
As most ETM work is for smaller operators it’s a totally different situation
if the operator has only 1 vehicle would only charge for one and has they add more price goes up easy no problem
marlartiz

Post by marlartiz »

I charge what they physically have, not what's on the O licence. Personally don't think it's fair to charge for non existent vehicles.
I've not found it affects my ability to work for others. But it is a personal choice
paunium

Post by paunium »

I knew an operator who owned two vehicles and alternated which one he drove - no other driver.
I know an operator with one vehicle but two drivers.
Which one generates more work for a TM?
Let’s start just giving a rate, no breakdown and certainly no reference to the “industry” rate.
Ankhand

Post by Ankhand »

Vehicles not authorization

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”