Hi Guys! Can anyone help me with step by step guide when it comes to bridge strike please?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Kasiaat2

Hi Guys! Can anyone help me with step by step guide when it comes to bridge strike please?

Post by Kasiaat2 »

Hi Guys! Can anyone help me with step by step guide when it comes to bridge strike please? I'm just getting my self prepared in case things like this happened I want to make sure I got everything in place :)
Thank you in advance :)
Connorex

Re: Hi Guys! Can anyone help me with step by step guide when it comes to bridge strike please?

Post by Connorex »

Policy written, insert full guidance and procedure into driver handbook, deliver on-site toolbox talk & also train your operator on bridge strikes. Checks to be made when on site - height markers in each vehicle and set to correct height - trailer heights displayed and correctly measured.
I also check that the drivers are using a TRUCK sat nav and are aware of their routes etc.
Kasiaat2

Re: Hi Guys! Can anyone help me with step by step guide when it comes to bridge strike please?

Post by Kasiaat2 »

Connorex wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:06 pm Policy written, insert full guidance and procedure into driver handbook, deliver on-site toolbox talk & also train your operator on bridge strikes. Checks to be made when on site - height markers in each vehicle and set to correct height - trailer heights displayed and correctly measured.
I also check that the drivers are using a TRUCK sat nav and are aware of their routes etc.
thank you so much for this!!! 🙏
Kasiaat2

Post by Kasiaat2 »

Connorex wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:06 pm Policy written, insert full guidance and procedure into driver handbook, deliver on-site toolbox talk & also train your operator on bridge strikes. Checks to be made when on site - height markers in each vehicle and set to correct height - trailer heights displayed and correctly measured.
but what about if the bridge strike happened? What's the steps I need to take ? Not sure if I got this right, have writing investigation with a driver, complete accident report, what next should this also be reported to TC with a notification letter?
Connorex

Post by Connorex »

Kasiaat2 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:08 pm
but what about if the bridge strike happened? What's the steps I need to take ? Not sure if I got this right, have writing investigation with a driver, complete accident report, what next should this also be reported to TC with a notification letter?
if it has happened I’m assuming Network Rail we’re contacted, how long ago was the incident ? You’re correct to do an investigation and accident report, I would also look at internal procedures and then rectify where necessary. At this stage I would also arrange for some cpc training & one on one training with the driver and make sure to document this. I would also report this to the TC if Network Rail haven’t done already
Stepowri

Post by Stepowri »

If you "get ahead of it" by reporting to the TC yourself, it will mitigate the actions the TC will take, so it is wise to report yourself. We helped one of our operators through this, made sure they ticked all the boxes, at their preliminary hearing the TC was content not to progress to a full PI because of the operators actions.
The correct sequence of actions (barring reporting to TC) is listed in the Network Rail presentation at the link given above, I've cut and pasted it here
report the strike immediately to the Rail Authority
use the telephone number for control office on the plate at the bridge
do not wait until back at depot
advise the police using 999
this is a legal requirement for any road traffic collision
report the strike to your employer
don’t move the vehicle
applies to bridges over roads and over railways
The following information should be provided:
your name, address and telephone number
the bridge identification and name
the location of the strike and road name
time of the strike
whether the vehicle is wedged, on fire or carrying dangerous goods
whether anyone is injured or trapped
the vehicle registration and details of the owner
the drivers insurance details
rettlan

Post by rettlan »

Look on the Network Rail website, there's a lot of literature that can be downloaded to help operators, TM's and drivers👍
RowaNew

Post by RowaNew »

rettlan wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:10 pm Look on the Network Rail website, there's a lot of literature that can be downloaded to help operators, TM's and drivers👍
there's a full 7 hour CPC presentation too. (7hours??!🤢)
rettlan

Post by rettlan »

RowaNew wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:10 pm
rettlan wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:10 pm Look on the Network Rail website, there's a lot of literature that can be downloaded to help operators, TM's and drivers👍
Who does the CPC course?
RowaNew

Post by RowaNew »

rettlan wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:11 pm
Who does the CPC course?
you can just access the presentation and use it I think. I just used relevant parts of it for our Driver and Vehicle safety CPC.
rettlan

Post by rettlan »

RowaNew wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:12 pm

Who does the CPC course?
you can just access the presentation and use it I think. I just used relevant parts of it for our Driver and Vehicle safety CPC.
Where can I access it?
Have you got a link, thanks👍
RowaNew

Post by RowaNew »

rettlan wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:12 pm

Who does the CPC course?
Where can I access it?
found it! https://www.networkrail.co.uk/.../preve ... bridge.../
Scroll down and you can download the presentation
rettlan

Post by rettlan »

RowaNew wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:13 pm

Where can I access it?
It's a while since I've looked at that website but it looks like they've updated it all so I'll have a good read later, many thanks 👍
flitts

Post by flitts »

rettlan wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:14 pm
RowaNew wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:13 pm

Where can I access it?
It's a while since I've looked at that website but it looks like they've updated it all so I'll have a good read later, many thanks 👍
Rowanew, useful info. Thank you!
Operain

Post by Operain »

National Highways also offer a 3.5 hr CPC module for free.
Stepowri

Post by Stepowri »

Operain wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:15 pm National Highways also offer a 3.5 hr CPC module for free.
it can't be totally free if it counts towards DCPC, there'll still be upload fees, I'm reasonably certain it wouldn't be eligible for the "14 hours free DCPC" caveat.
RowaNew

Post by RowaNew »

Stepowri wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:16 pm
Operain wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:15 pm National Highways also offer a 3.5 hr CPC module for free.
it can't be totally free if it counts towards DCPC, there'll still be upload fees, I'm reasonably certain it wouldn't be eligible for the "14 hours free DCPC" caveat.
thanks Stepowri. Like you we include the bridge strike stuff in our Driver and Vehicle safety CPC. No way am I registering a full 7 hour one! I don't want to bore our delegates to death!!!🤣🤣 The info is helpful tho...thanks!
Operain

Post by Operain »

it's free content supplied by National Highways. Still needs approval for the provider.
Stepowri

Post by Stepowri »

Operain wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:17 pm
it's free content supplied by National Highways. Still needs approval for the provider.
Do you have a link? I've searched their website but I'm coming up empty
Operain

Post by Operain »

Stepowri wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:18 pm
Operain wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:17 pm

Do you have a link? I've searched their website but I'm coming up empty
ill have a look
contact [email protected]
And request access
Durage

Post by Durage »

Prevention is more important. Drill it in to drivers what the consequences could be.
Gordorfai

Post by Gordorfai »

If your a FOR’S operation there’s information and driver E learning.
I would look at routing software plus HGV sat Nav systems, Hight sticks and monitoring driver behavior around recording height in the cab and auditing this. Plus recording your finding and investigation procedures in place with regards to Disciplinary preceding, this will all come up if your called to a PI with the TC. Your good repute is on the line.
Mseares

Post by Mseares »

It goes without saying that prevention is the best policy.....but have a contingency plan ready should the worst happen for e.g. a communication plan who tells what to who, an investigation plan, a corrective action plan and even a PR plan.
SimAim

Post by SimAim »

The OTC will take two actions in cases of bridge strikes.
1. Driver will be called to a hearing and likely loose there vocational license and have to resit the whole test after a ban period.
2. The operator will have there license curtailed or worse revoked.
So serious implications for both driver and operator, you frankly have to drill down to the driver so every time they see a bridge they look at the height markers.
Have a section in the walk around check where the driver has to write the height and width of the vehicle.
Driver training being the most important, processes in place for when new drivers start. Route planning.
Refresher training.
Ban the use of Car Satnavs - you may have to provide HGV navs
Naomilcy

Post by Naomilcy »

I would recommend choosing a bridge strike cpc module for drivers too
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (5.46 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
Clemeri

Post by Clemeri »

Print off the ‘wise up, size up’ campaign available on Network Rail website, and give a copy to each driver, making sure you get each driver to sign that they have been given a copy as part of a toolbox talk.
Use truck Sat navs only as has been said.
Kasiaat2

Post by Kasiaat2 »

Thank you all :)

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”