Just taken a look at the load board, as we are going into Prime Week, shocking is all I can say.

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
sibrimera

Just taken a look at the load board, as we are going into Prime Week, shocking is all I can say.

Post by sibrimera »

Just taken a look at the load board, as we are going into Prime Week, shocking is all I can say. MK to Dunfermline now starting at £0.87pm. MK to Edinburgh is sitting at £1.49pm. These are the runs I was doing last year generally, and I can assure you I never took it that rate even a year ago.
Thought I might put the box on for a week, think I’ll leave it parked up.
We truly are on a race to the bottom.
bruceiv

Re: Just taken a look at the load board, as we are going into Prime Week, shocking is all I can say.

Post by bruceiv »

I have a look at the load board now an then and laugh. Ridiculous low prices. I do 10 or 12 jobs November December every year. The rest of the year a joke on there.
alanemy

Re: Just taken a look at the load board, as we are going into Prime Week, shocking is all I can say.

Post by alanemy »

We run ridged trucks, upped our GIT on every truck to £100k to only be insulted with 10 hour jobs that pay van rates.
Gozzane

Post by Gozzane »

Only the people who start the engines are the ones that are stupid!!
Can sit them in yard and watch them loose money why bother sending them out to do it 🤦
davisui

Post by davisui »

The Amazon dream started to become a nightmare when you see the amount of trucks they now have in there colours same with the little vans
Littleksha

Post by Littleksha »

davisui wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:40 am The Amazon dream started to become a nightmare when you see the amount of trucks they now have in there colours same with the little vans
I was told that was part of a deal to run in their colours but your responsible for the truck
chrome

Post by chrome »

If people will stop doing jobs on money they will have to put up the rates. But no people are running on this rates that's why is not going up.
alanemy

Post by alanemy »

chrome wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:42 am If people will stop doing jobs on money they will have to put up the rates. But no people are running on this rates that's why is not going up.
no one can be running at those rate. Even as a backload as they usually want the truck for ten hours.
chrome

Post by chrome »

alanemy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:43 am
chrome wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:42 am If people will stop doing jobs on money they will have to put up the rates. But no people are running on this rates that's why is not going up.
no one can be running at those rate. Even as a backload as they usually want the truck for ten hours.
Trust me lots of people are working on this rates. I've seen runns that are going under 1.3£ every day.
cristive

Post by cristive »

I’m sure a lot of companies take these runs at the current rates. In my opinion they don’t see any other options at the moment, and have no clue what their fixed+running costs are. But these are the same companies that will go out of business in 2-3-4 months when all their fuel, tax, VAT bills will be due.
chrome

Post by chrome »

cristive wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:46 am
I’m sure a lot of companies take these runs at the current rates. In my opinion they don’t see any other options at the moment, and have no clue what their fixed+running costs are. But these are the same companies that will go out of business in 2-3-4 months when all their fuel, tax, VAT bills will be due.
yes I know but the problem is that this is affecting us too. Because most of the big companies they know how much amazon is paying and they try to put rates down.
nicholut

Post by nicholut »

alanemy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:43 am
Alanemy, my bad mate thought it was a van in a truck no you can’t that
deanee

Post by deanee »

Asked my insurance company to take Amazon off and it was only going to save me £100 🤷🏼‍♂️
sibrimera

Post by sibrimera »

Don’t know if anyone is aware, Amazon is under investigation by the Competitions Commission for unfair practices within the selling/sellers part of their business
Westo2free

Post by Westo2free »

How do you stop? Wages, finance, insurance, all need paying. And Amazon know it.
Littleksha

Post by Littleksha »

Westo2free wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:53 am How do you stop? Wages, finance, insurance, all need paying. And Amazon know it.
you don't have to send them out to line someone else pocket to bust. Leave them in the yard and still get the same outcome
Westo2free

Post by Westo2free »

Littleksha wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:53 am
Westo2free wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:53 am How do you stop? Wages, finance, insurance, all need paying. And Amazon know it.
you don't have to send them out to line someone else pocket to bust. Leave them in the yard and still get the same outcome
yes you're right. you can park them up but I think that we're in for a rough couple of years and no one has deep enough pockets to do that. The small guys like us are finding it hard now.
Littleksha

Post by Littleksha »

Westo2free wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:54 am
yes you're right. you can park them up but I think that we're in for a rough couple of years and no one has deep enough pockets to do that. The small guys like us are finding it hard now.
It's definitely going to get harder for a while, just need to know you're costs and charge appropriately. If it doesn't pay then the stuff stays on the floor. Remember they want it moved not you.
Westo2free

Post by Westo2free »

Littleksha wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:54 am

It's definitely going to get harder for a while, just need to know you're costs and charge appropriately. If it doesn't pay then the stuff stays on the floor. Remember they want it moved not you.
I'd love to have the monopoly but sadly like most we don't.
Littleksha

Post by Littleksha »

Westo2free wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:55 am

No we don't, but anyone would be stupid to run for free.
Westo2free

Post by Westo2free »

Littleksha wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:55 am

like most small hauliers we know you know your running costs intimately. By far now the biggest cost now is fuel + wages. I'm the best turd polisher I know and it's getting harder. I can't sit it out.. I'm on plan X now started at A.
juzzapp

Post by juzzapp »

Littleksha wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:55 am

Littleksha, you have it correct. They need your service, if it isn’t there then suffer because the items aren’t being delivered.
Any fool can get out of bed and loose money.
MichaSell1

Post by MichaSell1 »

Quite simply everyman and his dog decided to be an owner Operator about a year ago.
I do the docks almost every day and it's quiet. I'm not saying some companies are not flat out what I'm saying is there are less trailers and less containers coming in. That means less goods. There are simply too many of us. This driver shortage is bollocks. There are too many owner operators. The sooner the arseholes taking the cheap loads go bust the better. Let's hope they don't take too many with them
ashle_mo

Post by ashle_mo »

Trouble is there's plenty of dodgy haulier who ancestors come from Asia who happily run at a loss 90% if the time so they can get there mercedes, bmw etc. on lease so they look like they made it they don't realize the actual shit storm they create. Let alone most likely running bent as units.
Drewtiey

Post by Drewtiey »

Thing is with Amazon is they call the Shotts and if told.to.jump how high can u go.
I got offered to join up but stayed well.clear.
As I heard all the stories about what was going on due to me delivering in to amazon sites with packaging.
The winners are the ones who got in 1st loosers are at the back of the que until you build hour rapour up with them.
So I guess you have to do a load of trailers at shit rates before you get a decent rate but you've already gone bankrupt by then.
The only time you will get decent rates on this work is when Christmas rush starts to kick in.
To many foreign people come to UK and set up businesses and think they can make it work by offering cheap rates spoiling it for everyone else.
I do curtain general haulage and it is quieter than usual possible due to economic market with fuel ⛽ ect.
I will survive because I know what I'm doing like I have for the past 18 years being an owner driver.
Never ever work for just one company.
Vlain

Post by Vlain »

Drewtiey wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:04 pm Thing is with Amazon is they call the Shotts and if told.to.jump how high can u go.
As I heard all the stories about what was going on due to me delivering in to amazon sites with packaging.
The winners are the ones who got in 1st loosers are at the back of the que until you build hour rapour up with them.
So I guess you have to do a load of trailers at shit rates before you get a decent rate but you've already gone bankrupt by then.
The only time you will get decent rates on this work is when Christmas rush starts to kick in.
To many foreign people come to UK and set up businesses and think they can make it work by offering cheap rates spoiling it for everyone else.
I do curtain general haulage and it is quieter than usual possible due to economic market with fuel ⛽ ect.
I will survive because I know what I'm doing like I have for the past 18 years being an owner driver.
great post you sound like u know what ur doing....any tips on how to get decent contracts for subbies?? Are Agencies any good or is it really who / what you know?? Pm me privately if you reply 👍
leortue

Post by leortue »

Vlain wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:05 pm
Drewtiey wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:04 pm Thing is with Amazon is they call the Shotts and if told.to.jump how high can u go.
great post you sound like u know what ur doing....any tips on how to get decent contracts for subbies?? Are Agencies any good or is it really who / what you know?? Pm me privately if you reply 👍
it’s who you know
Drewtiey

Post by Drewtiey »

leortue wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:06 pm
it’s who you know
it's not just who you know I've known no one to get on the ladder.
Haven't had family in trucking like some have a job to go to. I've loved trucks since a small boy and my passion was to own my own lorry and work for myself.
Hard work and dedication 💪
leortue

Post by leortue »

Drewtiey wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:07 pm

it’s who you know
Haven't had family in trucking like some have a job to go to. I've loved trucks since a small boy and my passion was to own my own lorry and work for myself.
I wasn’t referring to been born into the industry. Simple networking will get you far.
Drewtiey

Post by Drewtiey »

leortue wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:07 pm

it’s who you know
I wasn’t referring to been born into the industry. Simple networking will get you far.
very true my friend
I've even cold called on businesses in the past.
Vlain

Post by Vlain »

Drewtiey wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:08 pm
leortue wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:07 pm

very true my friend
I've even cold called on businesses in the past.
Drewtiey, but does cold calling work??
robhott

Post by robhott »

Not at it as long as you but I’m the same. Been in the industry 25 yrs doing all aspects. Now using that experience and many contacts made over the years. Makes me laugh on here ppl asking for work after getting o license….I went and found it and not on FB. Also my truck is set up to tackle various jobs and various companies…flexibility is my key to surviving
collisia

Post by collisia »

Only yourself to blame, people keep taking them they'll keep dropping rate. No idea why anyone would entertain amazon!
marekni

Post by marekni »

I don’t get it about that Amazon. Never done it and even didn’t come close to it only I was wondering about adverts company doing to recruit drivers on Amazon work, nice easy job paying £17ph, guaranteed 8 or 10h 5days a week even you don’t work or work only 4-5h… I pay £180 to drivers but average shift is 11-12h and our rates are far over those rubbish rates I’m reading here. I’m not making much profit.. so how you keep your existence Amazon operators ???
Martincu

Post by Martincu »

The problem is the short term contract. Every one jumping to take them.
If we stop take them the rates on Load board they gonna jump up
robhott

Post by robhott »

Martincu wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:23 pm The problem is the short term contract. Every one jumping to take them.
If we stop take them the rates on Load board they gonna jump up
no they don’t anymore…loads going off the board at shocking rates…so someone is taking them
transar

Post by transar »

I was restricted because I said are incompetents I m leaving soon anyway.
hemm

Post by hemm »

I applied for the program, as soon as started asking questions about the forecasts on turnover they decided I was not suitable as an partner
leortue

Post by leortue »

If your running for any less then £2.10 a mile then you are mental.
robhott

Post by robhott »

I’m not complaining per se, just making a point. I got out of Amazon months ago when I saw what was happening. And there’s the difference between ppl who know what they are doing and not. Watch what’s going on and adjust…rather than stick in there thinking it’s going to get better.
I returned to bulk. I’m flat out and on good rates. But I have units with hydraulics and own a TASSC bulk trailer
nicholut

Post by nicholut »

£1.49 a mile from mk5 to Edinburgh isn’t shit it’s not bad at all you would see £375 easily
sibrimera

Post by sibrimera »

nicholut wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:34 pm £1.49 a mile from mk5 to Edinburgh isn’t shit it’s not bad at all you would see £375 easily
I was doing it for £2+. Truck doesn’t turn a wheel for anything less than £2pm
nicholut

Post by nicholut »

sibrimera wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:34 pm
nicholut wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:34 pm £1.49 a mile from mk5 to Edinburgh isn’t shit it’s not bad at all you would see £375 easily
I was doing it for £2+. Truck doesn’t turn a wheel for anything less than £2pm
I would have thought that was cheap enough certainly not expensive
Westo2free

Post by Westo2free »

The internet bubble has burst. Amazon are struggling since covid restrictions were relaxed and their sales have dropped. They rely on the fact that their owner drivers have trucks on finance and bills to pay
glazear

Post by glazear »

My mate reckons he has 4 units on full time £2850 each per week locals I always said ware people earning this
sibrimera

Post by sibrimera »

glazear wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:39 pm My mate reckons he has 4 units on full time £2850 each per week locals I always said ware people earning this
if you think that’s good I won’t let on what I’m pulling. Even so, 1k wages, 1-1.3k diesel even on locals, don’t leave much, possibly £500 after maintenance and yard costs.

Return to “Haulage companies | Owner-drivers and fleet owners | General discussions”