Hey guys, I know as a professional HGV driver, but I’m not 100% how it works with my digi card, rest and stuff?

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Scovisi

Hey guys, I know as a professional HGV driver, but I’m not 100% how it works with my digi card, rest and stuff?

Post by Scovisi »

Hey guys, I know as a professional HGV driver I should probably already know this but never needed to know before so here goes.
As a full time HGV driver I’m wondering about the rules for driving a hire 7.5t too move a friend,
I know about the I can’t do it for hire or reward stuff but I’m not 100% how it works with my digi card, rest and stuff?
Does that just come under ‘out of scope’?
Cheers
geoinni

Re: Hey guys, I know as a professional HGV driver, but I’m not 100% how it works with my digi card, rest and stuff?

Post by geoinni »

I’m not 100% sure but if it has a tacho I think you have to use your card mate and it counts towards your weekly/ fortnightly driving hours
Scovisi

Re: Hey guys, I know as a professional HGV driver, but I’m not 100% how it works with my digi card, rest and stuff?

Post by Scovisi »

geoinni wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:04 pm I’m not 100% sure but if it has a tacho I think you have to use your card mate and it counts towards your weekly/ fortnightly driving hours
cheers mate, yeah it’s abit confusing and I’m guessing abit of a grey area lol,
I’ve always heard as long as you have C1 on your license you could hire a 7.5t for personal use
geoinni

Post by geoinni »

Scovisi wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:05 pm
geoinni wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:04 pm I’m not 100% sure but if it has a tacho I think you have to use your card mate and it counts towards your weekly/ fortnightly driving hours
I’ve always heard as long as you have C1 on your license you could hire a 7.5t for personal use
as you said it’s a bit of a funny area, I would make sure you follow all the usual tacho rules, that way you will be covered mate, just in case
Scovisi

Post by Scovisi »

geoinni wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:05 pm
as you said it’s a bit of a funny area, I would make sure you follow all the usual tacho rules, that way you will be covered mate, just in case
yeah probably the easiest way lol, cheers mate
geoinni

Post by geoinni »

Scovisi wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:06 pm
geoinni wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:05 pm

yeah probably the easiest way lol, cheers mate
no problem mate, that’s what we are hear for 👍
Maximro

Post by Maximro »

No if you are hiring it and not doing it for pay or reward you do not need to put your tacho in. That's why you can hire one with the correct licence but you don't have to have a tacho card and they won't ask you to produce one.
Scovisi

Post by Scovisi »

Maximro wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:08 pm No if you are hiring it and not doing it for pay or reward you do not need to put your tacho in. That's why you can hire one with the correct licence but you don't have to have a tacho card and they won't ask you to produce one.
thanks mate, that’s what I though but wasn’t 100%
Cleggio

Post by Cleggio »

Pretty sure it's illegal to drive without your digi card in, worktime or not
Maximro

Post by Maximro »

Cleggio wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:11 pm Pretty sure it's illegal to drive without your digi card in, worktime or not
so people who have the licence but don't have a digital card as they don't do hgv driving?
Cleggio

Post by Cleggio »

Maximro wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:12 pm
Cleggio wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:11 pm Pretty sure it's illegal to drive without your digi card in, worktime or not
so people who have the licence but don't have a digital card as they don't do hgv driving?
good point mate, it's just that when I got pulled over by dvsa I asked him about the card colours n he told me that it's illegal to drive without a card in. But yeh as your point indicates that would only be for work purposes.
Maximro

Post by Maximro »

Cleggio wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:12 pm
Maximro wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:12 pm
good point mate, it's just that when I got pulled over by dvsa I asked him about the card colours n he told me that it's illegal to drive without a card in. But yeh as your point indicates that would only be for work purposes.
yes it's if you are getting paid to drive it.
PeteFix

Post by PeteFix »

If your not taking payment you don’t need your tacho card in. Make sure tacho in truck is set to out of scope and worth keeping a diary in case your quizzed on it.
Scovisi

Post by Scovisi »

PeteFix wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:17 pm If your not taking payment you don’t need your tacho card in. Make sure tacho in truck is set to out of scope and worth keeping a diary in case your quizzed on it.
cheers mate, I thought that was abit of a grey area lol

Return to “HGV truck drivers | General discussions”