Hi I’m hoping someone on here can help or point me in the right direction

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
bernelic

Post by bernelic »

I am looking to go back into the horse transport business with a 4x4 and a trailer and under new rules it’s saying I now need a standard national operators license
And that as part of that I need a TM
But also have read that if you have a (Cpc) in the transporting of Horses you can become your own TM
With all cost of living expenses going up fuel prices etc with the extra expense of another licence and I presume I will also have to use a tachograph when used for business but it’s also my personal vehicle the added cost of a outside TM etc it would be impossible to afford to be in business can any one advise if all this is right please and thank you so much
Mikeia

Re: Hi I’m hoping someone on here can help or point me in the right direction

Post by Mikeia »

I’m in no way knowledgeable about this but believe you need a cpc in horse transport ( as do any assistants or attendants) and also one in road transport, hopefully someone with more specific knowledge will provide the definitive answer.
riopenix

Post by riopenix »

I can't help with the transportation of livestock as it's not my field but from what I believe, you do need some training for this so a (7 hour) DCPC in horse/livestock transportation I would say, will be correct?
As to be a TM, you will need to pass the TMCPC which would be more like 8/10 days of training with two exams.
I've read your post in the way that you were told a DCPC module will enable you to become your own TM, which is incorrect and i hope this helps?
peach27

Post by peach27 »

There are a list of further questions that need answers before anyone could give definitive advice
I’d suggest everything you need to know is here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... iqC5BXNW3M
bernelic

Post by bernelic »

peach27 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:51 pm There are a list of further questions that need answers before anyone could give definitive advice

thankyou so much
I have transported before I have
Fully clean uk licence
I have my
United Kingdom transporter authorization certificate
I have my level 3
Award in principles of Transporting Horses By Road on short journeys (QCF)
Which is my certificate of competence for Drivers and Attendants in transporting horses too hun
peach27

Post by peach27 »

bernelic wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:52 pm
peach27 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:51 pm There are a list of further questions that need answers before anyone could give definitive advice

thankyou so much
Fully clean uk licence
I have my
I have my level 3
Which is my certificate of competence for Drivers and Attendants in transporting horses too hun
The Horse qualifications are nothing to do with the Operator Licence or realistically this group
From the very basic information you have given, if you are to transport other people’s horses in the U.K. you’ll need a standard National operators licence and therefore either a qualified transport manager (not horsey qualifications) or you’ll need to get the transport manager CPC yourself
You’ll more than likely almost certainly need a tachograph and to comply with all of those rules but further information needed to clarify
The fact it is horses is a bit of a red herring. Horses are literally just good’s that have a few extra requirements because they are animals
bernelic

Post by bernelic »

peach27 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:53 pm
bernelic wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:52 pm

thankyou so much
Fully clean uk licence
I have my
I have my level 3
The Horse qualifications are nothing to do with the Operator Licence or realistically this group
From the very basic information you have given, if you are to transport other people’s horses in the U.K. you’ll need a standard National operators licence and therefore either a qualified transport manager (not horsey qualifications) or you’ll need to get the transport manager CPC yourself
You’ll more than likely almost certainly need a tachograph and to comply with all of those rules but further information needed to clarify
The fact it is horses is a bit of a red herring. Horses are literally just good’s that have a few extra requirements because they are animals
yes that’s what I thought and I’ve looked on line at the qualifications hun do you recommend anywhere local too me I’m Sheffield based hun
vjacesen

Post by vjacesen »

I do transport of animals by road training, it is split in to long journeys and short journeys and there are different modules for different classes of animals, e.g. cattle, sheep, horses, goats, pigs, poultry. It has absolutely nothing to do with the TM CPC, (and I hold both national and international TM CPC's).
bernelic

Post by bernelic »

vjacesen wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:55 pm I do transport of animals by road training, it is split in to long journeys and short journeys and there are different modules for different classes of animals, e.g. cattle, sheep, horses, goats, pigs, poultry. It has absolutely nothing to do with the TM CPC, (and I hold both national and international TM CPC's).
thank you so much I knew that hun I needed to know what cpc I needed to do to become my own TM and suggestions of places that do it near Sheffield hun I was just saying what I have already and I now know I need the operators licence too and a TM and an TC in my area so I’m going to do my own TM course is this right my lovely
vjacesen

Post by vjacesen »

bernelic wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:55 pm
vjacesen wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:55 pm I do transport of animals by road training, it is split in to long journeys and short journeys and there are different modules for different classes of animals, e.g. cattle, sheep, horses, goats, pigs, poultry. It has absolutely nothing to do with the TM CPC, (and I hold both national and international TM CPC's).
thank you so much I knew that hun I needed to know what cpc I needed to do to become my own TM and suggestions of places that do it near Sheffield hun I was just saying what I have already and I now know I need the operators licence too and a TM and an TC in my area so I’m going to do my own TM course is this right my lovely
Sounds good to me Bernelic. If it helps, when I did my TM cpc I purchased the study pack from the RHA and spent every spare minute I had studying it. I then went and did a one week course which effectively became revision before sitting the exams. Some may say it was an expensive way of doing it but I was paying for it all myself whilst working and wanted to pass first time.
hillogy

Post by hillogy »

Personally if you jumping through these hoops I'd get a wagon, much safer, and you have accommodation.
Juliece

Post by Juliece »

Hi Bernelic,
You are going to need:
Transport Manager CPC (assuming you don't want the expense of enlisting an external TM?)
Standard National Operator Licence
Type 2 (long journey) Equine Certificate of Competence
As has already been said, I'd give serious consideration to going with a lorry rather than a trailer.
bernelic

Post by bernelic »

Juliece wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:59 pm Hi Bernelic,
You are going to need:
Transport Manager CPC (assuming you don't want the expense of enlisting an external TM?)
Standard National Operator Licence
Type 2 (long journey) Equine Certificate of Competence
As has already been said, I'd give serious consideration to going with a lorry rather than a trailer.
hi Juliece I’m only doing short journeys upto 8 hours and only uk hun so I don’t need type 2 hun got type 1 I’ve also got my cpc for transporting horses so I would need my transporter managers cpc and my operators licence hun won’t I to be a self employed short distance transporter wouldn’t I.
ludnine

Post by ludnine »

Isn’t in just in the EU you need a operators licence over 2.5 ton? Changed back in May this year.
I know plenty of people transporting in 3.5 ton 2 horse boxes with no operators license.
Personally I don’t agree and many are over weight
I’m all for the operators licence and drivers hours to come into the uk
bernelic

Post by bernelic »

ludnine wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:02 pm Isn’t in just in the EU you need a operators licence over 2.5 ton? Changed back in May this year.
I know plenty of people transporting in 3.5 ton 2 horse boxes with no operators license.
hello ludnine so far I have been told that 7.5 and car and trailers and any box that is going to be over 3,5 t must now have an operators licence in the uk and the Eu if you get stopped by the police and the weight of your vehicle exceeds 3.5 t they have the right to crush them if you do not have all the right licences and you must have a taco fitted in your vehicle too if your using it for hire and reward the field is so confusing and people are getting stopped more regular these days so just want to make sure I’m fully legal
ludnine

Post by ludnine »

bernelic wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:03 pm
ludnine wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:02 pm Isn’t in just in the EU you need a operators licence over 2.5 ton? Changed back in May this year.
hello ludnine so far I have been told that 7.5 and car and trailers and any box that is going to be over 3,5 t must now have an operators licence in the uk and the Eu if you get stopped by the police and the weight of your vehicle exceeds 3.5 t they have the right to crush them if you do not have all the right licences and you must have a taco fitted in your vehicle too if your using it for hire and reward the field is so confusing and people are getting stopped more regular these days so just want to make sure I’m fully legal
what is the weight of the vehicle and trailer?
Juliece

Post by Juliece »

as far as horse transport is concerned, anything over 3.5t used in connection with a business will need an Operators Licence in the UK.
This could be a Restricted if you only carry your own horses (a stud farm or a training establishment would be good examples of this)
A Standard National would be required if you are transporting horses for others for hire and reward (this is what a horse transporter does).
Should you wish to transport for hire and reward abroad, you will require a Standard International O licence, and the threshold for that has recently been lowered to 2.5 tonnes.
Bluecorn

Post by Bluecorn »

Yes, it is only in the EU for 2.5-3.5t and not the UK

Return to “Transport managers | General discussions”