Does a brand new vehicle need to be booked in to have a psv mot or is this only after the first year

Share ideas, best practices, ask questions. No ads here.
Gwener

Does a brand new vehicle need to be booked in to have a psv mot or is this only after the first year

Post by Gwener »

Hi everyone. We have taken the leap and gone for a brand new minibus. I have asked Euro Commercials the same question and they are going to get back to me but thought I'd ask here as well.
My question is:
Does a brand new vehicle need to be booked in to have a psv mot or is this only after the first year of registration and so on?
I know the 6 weekly checks have to be done from new but not sure on vosa mot?
Many thanks.
gedenco

Re: Does a brand new vehicle need to be booked in to have a psv mot or is this only after the first year

Post by gedenco »

PMI when you receive vehicle, then MOT after 1 year.
damide

Re: Does a brand new vehicle need to be booked in to have a psv mot or is this only after the first year

Post by damide »

Your question states brand new, then it’s had PMI’s done, so is it new or used?
If it’s new, It will need IVA & registering before it hits the road, then yearly MOT test (& PMI’s).
Gwener

Post by Gwener »

So I am assuming the dealership will do the iva and they are also doing the first tacho calibration when the new registration plates come out for 1st September.
Then am I right in saying I just need to take it for a 6 week inspection?
What is PMI? sorry I don't think I've heard this before? I am assuming it's a 6 weekly?
Thanks for your help guys.
damide

Post by damide »

Gwener wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:29 am So I am assuming the dealership will do the iva and they are also doing the first tacho calibration when the new registration plates come out for 1st September.
What is PMI? sorry I don't think I've heard this before? I am assuming it's a 6 weekly?
The dealer/manufacture will sort the Iva If it’s not type approved.
PMI is a 6 weekly inspection, (aka Periodic/Preventative maintenance inspection), which is best to do before you use it. (You actually need to do first use inspection, but a PMI is better way).
We always find rubbing wires, hoses, pipes on Brand new vehicles.
Gwener

Post by Gwener »

damide wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:30 am
Gwener wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:29 am So I am assuming the dealership will do the iva and they are also doing the first tacho calibration when the new registration plates come out for 1st September.
The dealer/manufacture will sort the Iva If it’s not type approved.
PMI is a 6 weekly inspection, (aka Periodic/Preventative maintenance inspection), which is best to do before you use it. (You actually need to do first use inspection, but a PMI is better way).
We always find rubbing wires, hoses, pipes on Brand new vehicles.
that's brilliant, thank you for this.
Aidhael

Post by Aidhael »

your failure to understand what a PMI is confuses me. Where do you get a six weekly from as they can be anything up to 13 weeks depending on use. The correct term is PMI or SI not 6 weekly. Please refer to Guide for Maintaining Roadworthiness

Return to “Maintenance companies and mechanics | General discussions”